Blu-ray outsells HD DVD 2:1 in first half of 2007
- Posted August 17th, 2007 at 11:55 EDT by
- 19 Comments
PlayStation 3 owners are loving their Blu-ray players while Xbox 360 owners are loving their HD DVD add ons. Some, however, are loving Blu-ray a bit more.
New data from Home Media Research shows that Blu-ray is gaining a significant lead, selling twice as many discs in the first half of this year than that of HD DVD. Sales of Blu-ray disc movies totalled 1.6 million units, compared with 795,000 HD DVD discs.
Blu-ray especially got a boost when leading rental chain Blockbuster said it would offer Blu-ray movies in favor of HD DVD at its stores. Many branches have stopped offering HD DVD all together. The company noted that Blu-ray rentals were "significantly outpacing" HD DVD rentals.
Dave Karraker offered some statistics from their internal survey data taken in May:
* The average survey respondent owns 4.5 Blu-ray movies and 119 DVDs.
* 72% of respondents purchased at least 1 Blu-ray movie since acquiring a PS3.
* 87% of respondents intend to purchase at least one Blu-ray movie in the next 12 months.
- 6:59am EDT - August 17th, 2007
Whoa....wait, is anyone surprised?
- 7:15am EDT - August 17th, 2007
blu-ray of the win
- 7:50am EDT - August 17th, 2007
no surrprise br just looks better
- 8:16am EDT - August 17th, 2007
True about Blockbuster that they would offer more Blu-ray and stop offering HD-DVD's! Blockbuster already signed a contract. Go b)
- 8:43am EDT - August 17th, 2007
yes i knew storage and quailty mixed with not having a f'ing add on would be the best GO SONY O YEAH!!!
- 9:26am EDT - August 17th, 2007
Bluray, will win the war, if HD-DVD doesn not come out with HD-DVD recodable players
- 10:14am EDT - August 17th, 2007
i have to admit,i though HD DVD was gonna eek out a win when this format war started...lets just say im no longer behind that idea
- 10:54am EDT - August 17th, 2007
Are we going to have another article of this kind every month or so? I just assume BD is always in the lead by at least 1.5:1. Tell me if it gets lower, not before then.
- 11:08am EDT - August 17th, 2007
blue ray have finally win the war.
- 11:43am EDT - August 17th, 2007
psn id: gingo... this is brillient it shows sony made the right choice with shipping ps3 with blu ray already in
- 11:57am EDT - August 17th, 2007
nice it wont be long untill bliray beats hd dvd
- 12:12pm EDT - August 17th, 2007
Hey guy's you do realize that these are first-half numbers.What happens when the numbers for 300 come out.SMACKDOWN.
- 1:10pm EDT - August 17th, 2007
I must admit I am surprised. HD-DVD has been cheaper since its launch and its titles have a great varience. I for one, am disappointed that many movies that are HD-DVD have not come to bluray. Hopefully this wakes up Universal to atleast start selling there movies on blu ray! Its about money. Its only a matter of time before they do. They'll milk HD-DVD for now.
- 3:59pm EDT - August 17th, 2007
high fives all around. lol...i love how for the 360 its called an "add-on".
- 10:54pm EDT - August 17th, 2007
Surely the only question in this Hi-def format war is how long HD-DVD can keep stuttering on? In Europe the price differential between Blu-Ray disks and HD-DVD's just isn't that noticable. Most shops have a sizable difference between shelf space in Blu-rays favour as well. Blu-Ray has won, HD-DVD just doesn't know it yet.
- 4:15am EDT - August 18th, 2007
This is cool, even with the HD DVD players getting to be around half that of a BluRay player or even cheaper than the PS3 itself.
- 6:47am EDT - August 18th, 2007
- 9:02am EDT - August 18th, 2007
sony pictures made spiderman 3. so if you want it in high def its blu ray or nothing
- 3:28pm EDT - August 18th, 2007
Neither will win, neither will lose. Both will become one format.
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!