PSU Exclusive: 2 Days 2 Vegas Mo-Cap Trailer
- Posted January 22nd, 2008 at 12:18 EDT by
- 20 Comments
For those of you who have seen the 2 Days 2 Vegas tech demo, we'd like to take things one step further and show off some of the advancements in Steel Monkey's motion capture technology.
Currently Steel Monkey is working with the new generation GypsyGyro-18 MoCap equipment based on gyroscopic sensors. When Steel Monkey was asked what advantages GypsyGyro-18 MoCap has over classical magnet and optic MoCap they stated:
"1. In contrast to optic and magnet MoCap, GypsyGyro-18 doesn’t require an actor’s staying within the usable area limits. It means that shooting can be done both inside and outside the studio (behind the wall, on the other floor, outdoors, etc.). This allows shooting almost any animations – from intense running to driving a car. As to the technical requirements, the shooting area is limited to 100 meters for enclosed spaces and to 300 meters for open spaces.
2. Our equipment is jam-resisted to metal surfaces, which gives great advantage over magnet MoCap which is affected even by the floor fittings, thus impacting the final animation quality.
3. GypsyGyro’s advantage over optic MoCap is absence of the sensors’ overlaying problem. Thus, quality of the two actors’ interaction shooting is the same as shooting of just one actor."
Stay tuned to PSU later today when we release the first gameplay footage of 2 Days 2 Vegas in motion.
- 1:54am EST - January 22nd, 2008
hope this is a good game tho
psn id: Cory9807
- 2:01am EST - January 22nd, 2008
Very cool, I cant wait to see the final game.
- 2:02am EST - January 22nd, 2008
epic win.. anyone knows how much motion capturing equipment costs ? would be nice to use for animations.. makes everything so live and vibrant.
- 3:37am EST - January 22nd, 2008
Could be awesome when this technology gets as cheap as a standard camera is today :)
- 5:23am EST - January 22nd, 2008
This is pretty sweet
- 5:45am EST - January 22nd, 2008
I hear the cost is comparable, if not a bit cheaper than manually animating every character "by hand". Takes a lot of talent to animate characters as realistically as motion capture does, and I also assume it would take a lot of time, so mocap is probably to cut costs as well as make things a little more realistic.
- 6:06am EST - January 22nd, 2008
That was seriously retarded
- 6:30am EST - January 22nd, 2008
lol Yes sir it was.
Dave-The-Rave | Dave-The-Rave
- 6:38am EST - January 22nd, 2008
whoah five !! Lmao
EDIT: JEEZ !! Is it later enough for you !!?? POST THE DAMN VID !!
- 7:24am EST - January 22nd, 2008
psn id: gingo... this game better not let me down i'm really hyped for it now
Sniperwithacause | Sniperwithacause
- 7:42am EST - January 22nd, 2008
This should be a decent game
NoStop | Sniperwithacause
- 10:03am EST - January 22nd, 2008
well this is about the dumbest motion capture trailer iv seen... i was expecting some new tech or something else.
- 10:36am EST - January 22nd, 2008
LOL I loved the punching of the car thing part. Mo-cap is the best. XD
- 12:34pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
the game looks great but show us the gameplay already, over here in the netherlands the day is almost over... can't wait till tomorrow... must see it now...
- 1:53pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
wow this mocap system is a step forward on to bringing new natural animations in games and etc. cool im liking this.
- 2:24pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
the dude with the beard looks like axel rose how he looks now.
- 3:05pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
I'll admit this physical mocap system is probably the best I've ever seen... but will the performance of the actors provide a level of quality to warrant it? In games like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted it's more than just the character's bodies that animated beautifully it's their faces as well. On top of that they both had top notch stories... I'm still reserving judgment.
- 3:33pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
Thank PSU for getting this exclusive news. Mocap vid was cool, but Uncharted mo-cap leaves these guys in the dust.
- 3:47pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
this game is so hyped... at lesat on this website, but it looks like it's gonna be a good game. i'm gonna have to wait on reviews for GTA and 2D2V
- 6:28pm EST - January 22nd, 2008
wow can't wait to see that this game is all about
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!