FIFA 10 hits sales record; new game mode coming soon
- Posted December 1st, 2009 at 18:15 EDT by Adam Dolge
- 16 Comments
EA announced today that FIFA 10 has sold more than 4.5 million units worldwide since its launch, resulting in a 26 percent increase over the same period last year. The game is now the fastest-selling sports game in the world with some 1.7 million units sold in Europe during its first week on the market. It’s also the top selling game overall in Europe for 2009.
The game also achieved a record for online play, averaging some 3 million games played daily, and more than 113 million games total online on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 over the past two months.
Speaking of online play, EA also announced today that it will release FIFA 10 Ultimate Team, a more authentic and dynamic game mode (originally introduced last year), that enables fans to customize the way they build their ultimate team.
In Ultimate Team, you will take on the challenge of building the best football team with the world’s top stars. You will manage one or multiple squads simultaneously, and complete against other gamers in dynamically updated online tournaments.
“FIFA 10 Ultimate Team adds a lot more authenticity to a unique game that will update with new challenges and content over time,” said Producer Paul Hossack. “We now have over 7,000 players from 27 leagues available, from which gamers will craft one or multiple squads to show their mastery of the revamped, more realistic chemistry system, and compete in tournaments with exciting requirements and rewards. On top of that, we’ll release new tournaments and other updates regularly to keep the experience fresh and exciting.”
Ultimate Team is intended to emulate the way real-world coaches and managers build the truly great football teams. You can buy, sell, trade and acquire the biggest stars to build your team.
This new game mode will be available on the PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE in February, 2010. It will cost $4.99 USD.
- 1:21pm EST - December 1st, 2009
Might play it now actually >>
- 1:23pm EST - December 1st, 2009
What a joke!! PES 2010 is miles better than Fifa
- 1:31pm EST - December 1st, 2009
- 1:43pm EST - December 1st, 2009
@2 you're a joke FIFA 10 is awesome!!!!
lordAlucard | sympozium_666
- 1:54pm EST - December 1st, 2009
Your a joke you can't even reply without something hateful. None of those games are good, it gets old really fast
- 1:54pm EST - December 1st, 2009
Was tempted to buy UT last year, but overly, wasn't that bothered. Don't think I can give it enough dedication to build a decent team, and would inevitably feel left behind and in a weaker position than other gamers.
Good mode to have, won't buy it though.
- 2:39pm EST - December 1st, 2009
4.5 million? and people say that the Americans are sheep because Madden sells ~2m every year... and they have no competition!
- 2:40pm EST - December 1st, 2009
i pwned at this game,buyyed on release day and got a free fottie
- 11:26pm EST - December 1st, 2009
@2 but FIFA has way more content teams stadfiums etc
and I had FIFA 09 not a soccer fan though so dont got this
- 1:17am EST - December 2nd, 2009
Fifa is repatative and get boring after a few games. PES 2010 is fun and have the ewwww and ahhhh factors which Fifa will never get.
- 3:35am EST - December 2nd, 2009
hardly reaches my ps3 tbh bought it played manager mode a while, now i only play it if friends are round repetitive and more or less the same game as last year with updated graphics not that there anything to get excited about.
- 7:29am EST - December 2nd, 2009
2 you clearly have not played both games and your just after a reaction.
Never really got into this mode on 09 so wont really bother this time round
my closing comment is FIFA10 is awesome, when friends come round we simply cant put it down, it even leaves MW2 on the shelf, every game is an epic battle just like the real thing (unless spurs are involved Lol) and every time you score satisfaction just courses right through you.
- 8:02am EST - December 2nd, 2009
First off, I'd like to second what 12 said.
Then: Ultimate Team seemed like a good idea, but it fell short for a few reasons:
1. Contracts and Fitness Cards. Both terrible fun-erasing ideas. You constantly have to buy new (cheap) packs to even be able to play with a halfway acceptable team, no matter what player cards you actually have.
2. Reward System - The points you earned were supposed to be mainly amassed by playing well against strong opponents. But the whole system seemed out of shape. Playing a 20 minute game against a weak AI netted you way more points then playing a usual game against a real player or a strong AI. Also the rewards were usually too little, as you needed a lot of points for those fitness and contract cards.
3. The sum of 1 and 2 is this: You either spent money on those packs or you stopped playing.
- 2:12am EST - December 3rd, 2009
how can pse bebeetter it sucks i have play it and is just plain gameplay , fifa is the bomb
- 2:26am EST - December 3rd, 2009
cant wait for this
- 3:06pm EST - December 10th, 2009
Ultimate Team looks really good...and addicting - definitely gonna get it
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!