Final Fantasy XIII no longer most anticipated title in Japan
- Posted January 1st, 2009 at 23:16 EDT by
- 39 Comments
For the last 15 months, Japanese magazine Famitsu has polled its readers on which game they're anticipating the most. And for 15 months, Final Fantasy XIII has dominated the results -- that is, until now. Apparently, the hotly anticipated RPG has been dethroned in favor of another much beloved Japanese franchise, Dragon Quest.
Dragon Quest IX for the Nintendo DS has taken lone control of the #1 spot for most anticipated title in Japan. PlayStation 3 holds 6 of the 15 spots, PlayStation 2 has one title in the lineup and the PlayStation Portable brings up the rear with #15.
We've included the list below.
1. Dragon Quest IX (NDS, Square Enix)
2. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
3. Biohazard 5 (PS3, Capcom)
4. Monster Hunter 3 (Wii, Capcom)
5. Dragon Quest VI (NDS, Square Enix)
6. Amagami (PS2, Enterbrain)
7. Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360, Square Enix)
8. Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
9. The Last Remnant (PS3, Square Enix)
10. Ryuga Gotoku 3 (PS3, Sega)
11. Street Fighter IV (PS3, Capcom)
12. Seventh Dragon (NDS, Sega)
13. Ninokuni: The Another World (NDS, Level 5)
14. Gyakuten Kenji (NDS, Capcom)
15. Final Fantasy Agito XIII (PSP, Square Enix)
- 6:19pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Wow 360 sure holds a lot of sway in Japan. One spot and it's #7. Wooo.
- 6:24pm EST - January 1st, 2009
japanese gamers are simply one-dimensional..all they generally like & play are rpgs
- 6:25pm EST - January 1st, 2009
@1: Yeah. 360 isn't that popular in Japan. Mostly because Microsoft isn't that great in Japan.
- 6:28pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Good i hope it keeps going down the list and has horrible sells telling Square they should have stayed exclusive.
- 6:29pm EST - January 1st, 2009
@ 2 That may be, but the US is also the same way with fps. Im getting tired of it.
@ 4 The anticipation has nothing to do with it being exclusive or not, although i do agree it should have stayed exclusive.
- 6:30pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Is Street Fighter 4 exclusive to the PS3 in Japan??
- 6:37pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Wow, I sure wasn't expectint Re 5 that high up in the list. February is gonna be huge !
- 7:00pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Japanese gamers are only as "one deminsional" for RPG's as US gamers are for hardcore spazz shooters.
On topic: Meh, change in mood I guess, maybe there was a new Dragon Quest advertisement that got everyone excited. When dragon quest is on top 15 months straight, THEN we'll talk.
- 7:21pm EST - January 1st, 2009
- 7:28pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Wow, The playstion console make up the majority of that list. Color me surprised.
- 7:34pm EST - January 1st, 2009
eh ff13 wasnt on my big hit list. For me its versus. Versus looks so much better. They have advent children and kingdom hearts ppl working on versus. That... is a KO team for me.
- 7:51pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Sony is a Japanese company. Why are you surprised?
- 7:57pm EST - January 1st, 2009
I want to know how they get these polls...
Anywho, wooo ps3
- 8:14pm EST - January 1st, 2009
As an American gamer,I am not one dimensional as I prefer RPGs over shooters,but both are dry right now and boring.Aside from KZ2 and WKC I am not interested in either genre at the moment.
- 9:03pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Well this is not surprising as no one really knows when FFXIII will exactly drop in Jap but for DQIX it launches in March
- 9:08pm EST - January 1st, 2009
how exactly is this news worthy? FFIIIX is the second most anticipated game in Japan instead of #1 . . . . . ok
- 9:14pm EST - January 1st, 2009
lol, go go square, port SE last hope to PS3, so 360 can loose its last hope.
- 9:24pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Dam..people sure love square enix (gotta admit, they do make good games). But WTF???? DRAGON QUEST!?!???? WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!
- 9:58pm EST - January 1st, 2009
this really isnt a bad thing, i think its mainly cus DQIX is bout to release in a few months so its gotten more attention now
- 11:06pm EST - January 1st, 2009
Yeah right,the only way FF will ever be exclusive again,is if it bombs on the 360.Otherwise the next one might as well be exclusive to 360,like Star Ocean.I am really surprized that a weak handheld game has taken hold of the most anticipated spot though.one man's trash is another man's treasure i guess.
This will permanently ban this user and delete all associated comments. This action is irreversible, are you SURE you want to do this?!