While attending a Sony Event for press last week in California, PSU.com was able to get new details and hands on with Insomniac's upcoming PlayStation 3 adventure, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.
Once inside the Insomniac studio the press were divided into groups each starting in a separate room where a developer or producer would go over certain aspects of the game.
Part 2: Characters and Levels
In Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction many characters return for their roles from past titles. Players will also see quite a few new lively spirits as they make their way through the game.
- Captain Qwark
- Ratchet and Clank (duh)
- Talwyn: She plays as the female lead
- Captain Slag and Rusty Pete: Two quirky robot pirates that provide much entertainment
- Cronk & Zephyr
- Smuggler: These guys are found on some levels providing missions to acquire certain objects in the environment for rewards.
- Troglasaur: Giant dinosaur that walks amongst the land. Ratchet and jump and use there backs and heads as platforms.
- Grunthor: T-Rex like creature that stomps around the lands of Sargasso
- Drophyds: Fish that are tanked at the heads of robots. Killing the robot bodies drops the tank and the fish squirm for air on the ground.
- Rogues: Giant heavy pirate trooper that drops big cannon balls. Avoid the cannon balls at all costs!!!
- Gelachopers: Small creatures that are attracted to the Gelatonium cubes your Gelanator gadget spews out.
All the environments in Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction are living; constantly moving and providing a real scope to how massive the game really is. The team at Insomniac has done a fantastic job in bringing Ratchet and Clank to next gen and showing the true power of the PlayStation 3.
Only a few environments were shown at this event and they include:
- IRIS Supercomputer: Snow planet teeming with robot pirates
- Zordoom Prison:
- Sargasso: Organic planet with dinosaurs and the first area showcasing the Robo-wings which allow Ratchet to fly anywhere in the level.
- Kerchu City
- Metropolis: The main city where towers are crumbling and pirate ships are attacking and hovering overhead.
- Stratus City
Stay tuned for the last part of the hands on experience on PSU.