PDA

View Full Version : Why is Sony needing to pick-up most of the slack for Blu-Ray?

TheHeeyyy
11-02-2007, 03:55
We all know that there are other big electronic companies that support Blu-Ray (Pioneer, Panasonic, etc.), but it appears to me that Sony is doing most of the fighting while the other exclusive companies take a lay-back approach with supporting Blu-Ray. While these companies are providing enough support in the high-end Blu-Ray department, they aren't doing nearly enough for the low-end department, which is a more critical demographic for Blu-Ray's success. It seems like Sony is the only company concerned about getting prices of Blu-Ray players as cheap as possible through the Playstation 3, but since it's also a gaming console it has much more components inside than a regular Blu-Ray player would need which makes-it harder to reduce its price. Sony is trying its best with the PS3 to reach that demographic and it's taking a lot of hits to do-so, but we need other companies focusing on cheap Blu-Ray players. If they're true Blu-ray supporters they need to give 100% effort now!!!

NinjaFridge
11-02-2007, 03:59
Because it's SONY, and they have a bad track record with formats.

CivicFox
11-02-2007, 04:05
That doesnt change the fact that other companies should promote the product. It would earn them money and infact ensure blu-ray to a much faster victory.

bobtheduck
11-02-2007, 04:10

Yeah, CDs failed miserably, and Beta was wiped off existence (and didn't continue to this day in the broadcast world as just about the only tape format in use in it's various incarnations and upgrades) and cassette tapes... What a waste of time when we had 8-tracks to listen to!

As for something that actually answers the OP instead of saying something that doesn't really fit this thread, it's because despite Disney, Fox, Apple, Adobe, and others having a say in this, It's Sony's baby first and foremost. Sony has the most to lose, here.

MajorZero
11-02-2007, 04:14
I think we'll start to see price drops on all the old Blu standalones this month. Panasonic just announced their 1.1 profile player for this month, so I think its inevitable for the others to drop price.

dog77_1999
11-02-2007, 04:29
Content providers could really care less about Blu-Ray. They are supporting it because it's the better technology, but their support stops at their wallets. They have nothing to gain if Blu-Ray wins other than that there is one format. Sony is the one who holds all of the patents and technology to Blu-Ray. All of the Blu-Ray money trails lead to them. Everyone else could support HD-DVD because the money potential is the same, but they aren't going to retool their factories then go back if HD-DVD fails. So they will wait till they are completly sure, or the money is too good.

LaOMaN
11-02-2007, 05:37
other companys support blu-ray.
but if blu-ray fails sony loses alot of money.
if blu-ray fails other companys wont lose that much.

same thing with toshiba they will lose alot but companys that support wont lose that much.

GamerG
11-02-2007, 07:52
The other companies cant compete with Sony at the low end because Sony hold the patents and a lot of the technology they have to buy from Sony anyway,

That and the fact they are probably enjoying one of their main competitors bleed money away

TH3 GAM3
11-02-2007, 08:05
I think they are going to do something about it now.
Toshiba is going all in with the 200 HD-DVD player.

Husker86
11-02-2007, 08:17
I think they are going to do something about it now.
Toshiba is going all in with the 200 HD-DVD player.

$99 player actually.

It's going to be an interesting holiday and I wish more consumers would think before they buy a striped down HD player, if you're going to upgrade don't half-ass it.

LaOMaN
11-02-2007, 08:29
$99 player actually.

It's going to be an interesting holiday and I wish more consumers would think before they buy a striped down HD player, if you're going to upgrade don't half-ass it.

so for $99 for a half assed hd-dvd player.
i take the $99 any day

Nariko Rulz
11-02-2007, 08:49
well for one, sony owns blu-ray and they can make the most from it, so that's why they are most concerned. the other companies like disney and apple were probably just paid by sony to support...

GamerG
11-02-2007, 09:19
Your love for Sony is admirable but it has also made you blind, Sony themselves are losing money hand over fist on their players and the PS3, the difference is Toshiba have vastly more money and also...

arthur56k
11-02-2007, 09:25
maybe you need to learn that poeple care less about capabilities and care more about a great price range, heck betamax was better technically to VHS, and it lost

mgillespie
11-02-2007, 09:59
Yeah, CDs failed miserably, and Beta was wiped off existence (and didn't continue to this day in the broadcast world as just about the only tape format in use in it's various incarnations and upgrades) and cassette tapes... What a waste of time when we had 8-tracks to listen to!

Don't forget the 1.44Mb floppy disc, which Sony are responsible for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disc#The_3-inch_compact_floppy_disk

kuku
11-02-2007, 11:30
maybe you need to learn that poeple care less about capabilities and care more about a great price range, heck betamax was better technically to VHS, and it lost

And sony lock stock and monoploized the broadcasting world with beta?

I sometimes wonder who really won.

you had VHS which died in the 90s, and sold low grade electronics...

or

You have BetaSP, later many other Betas that took the broadcasting world by storm, and allowed sony to sell cameras, decks, stations, and more to this day. Not to mention the minicam tapes are also based on beta. Sony took that too

And beta also does HD now.

Yea I wonder sometimes who the bigger "idiot" is. Take a Media100 class.

Quality mattered very much in the Pro world. Sony couldn't have its cake and eat it too, but it was quite a nice cake indeed.

VHS -dead
Beta - alive.

Wingnut
11-02-2007, 12:50
That doesnt change the fact that other companies should promote the product. It would earn them money and infact ensure blu-ray to a much faster victory.

The other (Japanese) CE manufacturers were sold on Blu-ray locking out cheaper competition and holding the prices higher for longer so they can make more profit. At present there is no money in DVD players for them, which is heavily dominated by cheap Chinese players.

The BDA CE's were never expecting HD-DVD prices to drop so quickly and they will not sell their units at a loss because they have very little to gain in royalties if Blu-ray wins, they are not principal stakeholders in the format.

My guess is that this protectionist racquet between the CE's is not only anti-consumer and elitist, but it will lose Blu-ray the format war. HD-DVD has moved the goal posts and the BDA cannot respond to this sort of move. Since the cheap HD-DVD players announcement, they have wheeled out Fox and Disney to talk down Toshiba and the HD-DVD format, but talk is cheap, and unfortunately Blu-ray isn't. After this week, in the consumers eyes the new price of high-def players is <$200, as it stands, only one format can currently achieve this.

It seems that Blu-ray went after gamers as a huge part of their strategy, it worked to some extent. Now it is clear that HD-DVD is going after J6P, there are far more of them, but we will see if this strategy is any more successful. Now if the BDA were to release a $200 player, then this will mix things up again. Either way it is fascinating contest.

Riskbreaker
11-02-2007, 15:29
$99 player actually.

that sale is only for today

Wingnut
11-02-2007, 16:05
And sony lock stock and monoploized the broadcasting world with beta?

I sometimes wonder who really won.

you had VHS which died in the 90s, and sold low grade electronics...

or

You have BetaSP, later many other Betas that took the broadcasting world by storm, and allowed sony to sell cameras, decks, stations, and more to this day. Not to mention the minicam tapes are also based on beta. Sony took that too

And beta also does HD now.

Yea I wonder sometimes who the bigger "idiot" is. Take a Media100 class.

Quality mattered very much in the Pro world. Sony couldn't have its cake and eat it too, but it was quite a nice cake indeed.

VHS -dead
Beta - alive.

Are you mixing up Betamax and Betacam? They used the same cassettes but the formats are not compatible. Betamax died off many years ago, only Betacam is still used in a professional capacity. It is very far fetched to suggest Beta(max) is still alive.

rikwakefield
11-02-2007, 16:12
I need to know whether you are being serious or not. Your post history is littered with comments so obsurd that I can't take you seriously.

Caliban42
11-02-2007, 16:59
I need to know whether you are being serious or not. Your post history is littered with comments so obsurd that I can't take you seriously.

No, I like the way this cat thinks. Since I own a Blu-Ray player, I'm better than people that don't. I was unaware that my choice in consumer electronics determined my status, but I'm glad to know I made the right choice. Of course, I also have an HD-DVD player, just to hedge my bets.

Also I'm glad to have found out that Sony invented Blu-Ray to benefit mankind. This whole time I thought they developed it to benefit Sony, but I'm man enough to admit I was wrong.

Its refreshing for me to see that Sony is a company that isn't concerned about the bottom line, they're looking out for humanity. And they want to be status symbols. I'm not sure how that works out, exactly. I'm hoping Nariko Rulz can enlighten me further, though. Because in my mind, if something is to benefit mankind, then all people would be able to take advantage of it. But if it is meant only for the people with money like a Benz, then perhaps poor people aren't actually part of mankind? I'm not sure, but I know Nariko will shed some light on this murky subject.

Finally, I'm sick and tired of companies like Toshiba and Microsoft trying to make money by getting their more inexpensive products into people's homes. It disgusts me to think that they're in business to make money and they expect to make this blood money by making good business decisions. It truly makes me proud to own a PS3 when I know that Sony is taking the moral high road and is foregoing profits by keeping their prices high. Or something. Again, I look to Nariko for guidance.

;)

kuku
11-02-2007, 23:33
meh double. slow today.

25 characters...

kuku
11-02-2007, 23:34
Are you mixing up Betamax and Betacam? They used the same cassettes but the formats are not compatible. Betamax died off many years ago, only Betacam is still used in a professional capacity. It is very far fetched to suggest Beta(max) is still alive.

Beta(max) is consumer level, beta (cam) is based on that and pretty much the same thing, in a smaller case, to fit machines.

They are more or less the same thing as a format. There is nothing far fetch about it. Sony release a multi-teir product. Not a consumer only product.

People like to split them because they like to rag on sony, but Sony doesn't go into any industry half hearted.

Even the MD format, which many say failed is still used by artists all over the world, especial in Japan, it's home country.

Trying to say, "na na Sony is a failure" only show how much it's not.

Wingnut
11-02-2007, 23:56
Beta(max) is consumer level, beta (cam) is based on that and pretty much the same thing, in a smaller case, to fit machines.

They are more or less the same thing as a format. There is nothing far fetch about it. Sony release a multi-teir product. Not a consumer only product.

People like to split them because they like to rag on sony, but Sony doesn't go into any industry half hearted.

Even the MD format, which many say failed is still used by artists all over the world, especial in Japan, it's home country.

Sony make some good formats, there is no doubting that, but the success is normally achieved in a vertical market rather than the one it was intended for which is far less lucrative - yes Beta(cam) was intended for broadcast, but it's the consumer version we are talking about and in a head to head 'war' against VHS it lost. Same with MD (against Cassette, DCC, MP3 and to a lesser extent CD).

Yes, both formats are still alive in one form or another, but when Sony went into the market with Beta, they never intended it to just be a broadcast medium. Same with MD, they never thought it would end up being used by Radio jocks to play intros and jingles.

arthur56k
11-03-2007, 10:05

if you make a format and it end s up losing to the competitor even before the time it expected to survive is up, then it fails, and that is where betamax is, the dustbin of history, VHS, it made a tonne of cash for its creators, how much do you think they forked in terms of royalties? sony didn't fail, their product did

MaximumAwareness
11-03-2007, 21:07
maybe you need to learn about electronics and economics in general. Given that all your posts are generally based off of your opinion and you try to pass it off as fact. Fanboy...

Beodude123
11-03-2007, 22:37
I'm going to say they are picking up slack, no differently than Toshiba is for HD DVD right now.

Wingnut
11-03-2007, 23:51
I'm going to say they are picking up slack, no differently than Toshiba is for HD DVD right now.

The difference is that the BDA has most of the CE's manufacturers in it, and yet it is Sony that is having to pick-up-the slack as the OP says.

NinjaFridge
11-04-2007, 00:00

As for something that actually answers the OP instead of saying something that doesn't really fit this thread, it's because despite Disney, Fox, Apple, Adobe, and others having a say in this, It's Sony's baby first and foremost. Sony has the most to lose, here.

Yeah sound like an ass. I support blu ray as much as the next guy. Also nevermind the fact that i said it's SONY. You would know then that hating SONY is cool. It must also be cool to act like an ass on these boards, if it is you're ****ing awesome as are many other people.