PDA

View Full Version : Going to Japan.

poematik14
11-21-2007, 01:13
Okay, blah blah blah, poematik is back, I thought it over, yes and I overreacted with that thread, sorry.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Anyway, Im going to Japan over winter break (dec 30 - jan 6)

So, I need advice from my PS3forums Japan people.

1. What system's games work on US consoles? I know 360 is region locked.

2. Whats the best sushi in Tokyo?

3. Wheres the best place to hit on girls?

4. Best place in Akihabara to get games?

5. Anything else thats fun to do?

6. Whats the drinking age?

MrFenwick
11-21-2007, 02:07
Your gonna get arrested over there. :P

Lord Arklon
11-21-2007, 02:37
I hope you speak Nihongo, that's all I've got to say.

jakncoke
11-21-2007, 02:43
haha your back, sorry I had to do it.

20 is the drinking age according to Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

rvaswan1103
11-21-2007, 02:54
I sure as hell hope you speak and read Japanese or your screwed. Luckily, I do, so I had no problem there. Umm, girls ? Go to bars. What ethnicity are you ?

Let's see, Akihabara... There are tons of places to buy games. There is no best shop as they all tend to be good. No PS2 games will work on an American PS3 if you have that. Japanese PS3 games will work though.

Go see Tokyo Tower and go to Roppongi in Tokyo, you'll enjoy it. Roppongi has tons of clubs and is a place where a lot of foreigners go, so you may get lucky there.

NinjaFridge
11-21-2007, 03:34
I think many Japanese people can read english but not speak it so maybe bring a notepad and pen everywhere with you.
PS3's games are all region free.

GRX Dragon
11-21-2007, 03:40
Okay, blah blah blah, poematik is back, I thought it over, yes and I overreacted with that thread, sorry.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Anyway, Im going to Japan over winter break (dec 30 - jan 6)

So, I need advice from my PS3forums Japan people.

Well have fun in Japan. :)

Lord Arklon
11-21-2007, 04:08
By the way, for anyone looking for a good method for learning to speak Japanese, I'd suggest the Pimsleur audio CDs. I'm using them myself, along with a textbook, PM me for more info.

Behemoko
11-21-2007, 04:14
I sure as hell hope you speak and read Japanese or your screwed. Luckily, I do, so I had no problem there. Umm, girls ? Go to bars. What ethnicity are you ?

Let's see, Akihabara... There are tons of places to buy games. There is no best shop as they all tend to be good. No PS2 games will work on an American PS3 if you have that. Japanese PS3 games will work though.

Go see Tokyo Tower and go to Roppongi in Tokyo, you'll enjoy it. Roppongi has tons of clubs and is a place where a lot of foreigners go, so you may get lucky there.

Dude, he's 16, he's got high hopes, but nothing's gonna' happen, lol..

Axm
11-21-2007, 04:21
1. What system's games work on US consoles? I know 360 is region locked. ------ DS, PSP and PS3 are all region free with games.

2. Whats the best sushi in Tokyo? ----- Anywhere I guess. Try Roppongi.

3. Wheres the best place to hit on girls? -------- Harajuku (Just please dont act like a Hot Shot trying to get instantly laid)

4. Best place in Akihabara to get games? ------- Anywhere

5. Anything else thats fun to do? ----- Shibuya.. Ive been to Tokyo 3 times now this year. Always enjoy the big cross walk there.

6. Whats the drinking age?--------- 20. And if you're going into Shinjuku to drink id stay out of Kabuki-cho. And some parts of Roppongi. Watch out for the black guys trying to lure you into bars. They are NOT your friends. ahahaha

softtack
11-21-2007, 04:34
Japan is teh omg. I'm going to study abroad there in a couple of years. ^_^

PS3, DS and possibly the PSP (I'm not sure)

Anywhere where it's not revolving on a conveyor belt. Ginza has good food.

Dream on, but Shibuya and Harajuku are some of the more "fashion-centric" areas, so a lot of hawt girls, and a lot of weird ones too. > <

For gaijin, I recommend Sofmap. The layout of the store is pretty clean, compared to others, so it's easy to navigate. Not as cheap as the smaller/messier shops but would probably be a better option.

Where will you be staying mostly? If you can travel around, make sure to check out Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Nara. They are a bit touristy but are your best bets if you don't know Japanese. I also recommend Hokkaido for beautiful scenery but it's either a plane or overnight train ride away.

If you're stuck in Tokyo... well... there are a lot of stores and districts within Tokyo to check out. The Imperial Palace and the Tokyo Tower are some more places to hit. Some parts of Tokyo are kind of dangerous at night so travel in groups.

As someone said before, 20.

TAKE SOME PICTURES!!!

Edit: Axm beat me. Trust him because it looks like he actually lives in Japan! :lol:

jakncoke
11-21-2007, 04:59
Dude, he's 16, he's got high hopes, but nothing's gonna' happen, lol..

well if he brings enough money I'm sure he can :D

Lord Arklon
11-21-2007, 05:29
Kabukicho! LMAO!

His parents would have to be gullible enough first! :lol:

MrFenwick
11-21-2007, 05:58
Be sure to bring the girl in my Sig to me.

poematik14
11-21-2007, 07:51
Dammit, I have to be 20? That is teh fail.

I will be going to Hiroshima, but most of the time Ill be in Tokyo. So Im probably going to get 2 Dualshock 3's, some PS3 games, and a ****load of DS games. Cool.

Is Harajuku like Rodeo Drive here?

And Ginza and Roppongi (sp) are good for food and stuff. Cool.

Anything else? And how do I learn Japanese in 1 month?

What ethnicity are you ?

Im Persian.

softtack
11-21-2007, 08:46
Is Harajuku like Rodeo Drive here?
I don't know what Rodeo Drive is (I've heard of it) but I doubt it. Harajuku does have your standard trendsetters and expensive brands, but some people there have an interesting idea of fashion, ranging from gothic, lolita (or both!) to cosplayers.

Give "Harajuku girls" a googling and some more info and pictures should come up. :)

Anything else? And how do I learn Japanese in 1 month?
You can't, to tell you the truth. You might be able to get some basic phrases and sentences down. JapanesePod101's Survival Phrase series will be your best friend while you study Japanese. If you can't listen to all 60 (^_^;), at least listen to the first two. They'll help a lot.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/category/survival-phrases/page/12/

If you can, study up on the Hiragana and Katakana characters. Even if you can't read everything, being able to read part of a sign or paper will help a lot. :)

Behemoko
11-21-2007, 18:00
Woot, I'm partway there, I took 2 and a half years of japanese. :razz:

Sadly, it's been too long, and I pretty much might as well start that second year over, I pretty much remember only common sentance structure, very few words, Hiragana, about half of Katakana, and like 10-20 Kanji, lol.. I knew so much more when I was still in the class. :-(

softtack
11-21-2007, 18:04
Woot, I'm partway there, I took 2 and a half years of japanese. :razz:

Sadly, it's been too long, and I pretty much might as well start that second year over, I pretty much remember only common sentance structure, very few words, Hiragana, about half of Katakana, and like 10-20 Kanji, lol.. I knew so much more when I was still in the class. :-(
I know that feeling. Things have gotten in the way of my Japanese studies so I've probably forgotten a lot of it. I'm taking an intensive Japanese course during the summer which compresses three quarters worth of information and homework into one.

If I commit suicide, now you know why. :pale

NinjaFridge
11-21-2007, 20:49
You can spend years learning a language but its not much use if you don't use it regularly.

Uncool
11-21-2007, 21:42

Wait so I cried over your leaving for nothing? For shame...

Any way hope you have fun in JP, there are so many stores in Akihabara and levels for all things game related. So essentially your going into uncharted territory. :lol:

rykomatsu
11-22-2007, 07:45

soaplands