PDA

View Full Version : New Huxley Screens

A7
12-10-2007, 04:13
Webzen has released some new screenshots of Huxley, the upcoming Unreal Engine 3 powered MMO first person shooter for Xbox 360 and PC.

In a post-apocalyptic world human beings have mutated and divided into Sapiens, Alternatives and Hybrids. The Sapiens and Alternatives both battle for control of the Earth’s resources as the Hybrids, a mysterious third race, fight for their very survival. In the PC game, players take on the role of the Sapiens or Alternative. On the Xbox 360™ they enter the game as an elite member of the Hybrid Liberation Organization (HLO), fighting toe-to-toe against the Sapien and Alternative armies to unshackle the oppressed Hybrids.

Do you have what it takes to obliterate and dominate the competition? Choose your side, create your character, grab a weapon and get the enemy in your cross-hairs in Huxley!

Features :

* Huxley delivers the excitement and rich gameplay experience of an MMORPG while combining the knuckle-whitening action of an FPS. Players can communicate with each other in a virtual online city, and participate in side battles with the intuitive PvP (player vs. player) system. Everything a character does in the Huxley world directly affects the success of not only the individual, but also of their race and party; from battles to behaviors, all interactions are linked to the survival of a character’s entire race.
* Huxley goes past traditional death match FPS gameplay by challenging players to adapt to new forms of combat to protect the interests of the camp. Servers will be solely dedicated to accommodate millions of users engaged in fast paced, large-scale combat. Players will require strategy and cooperation to achieve victory. Extensive multiplayer battle modes are available each with a variety of unique fighting techniques and special characteristics.
* Huxley has advanced A.I. that rivals other online games. Enemies in Huxley demonstrate remarkable intelligence, which can be used to a player’s advantage or demise. Quests in Huxley will take players on paths of intrigue to uncover conspiracies resulting in confrontations. Each quest is continually updated so players feel as though they are enjoying a new story mode every time they play.
* The characters in Huxley are continuously growing, which is rare in FPS games. Players are able to enhance their own combat styles by obtaining out-of-this-world weapons and new skills, which in turn continuously challenges players to adopt different gameplay styles as they progress.
* Huxley’s gaming action takes form as intense online first person combat mixes with powerful, strategic, PvP elements and high-tech weaponry for adrenaline-pumping extreme gameplay in stunning battle areas.
* The complete console FPS experience, Huxley offers compelling offline gameplay that includes single player campaign missions, sub-missions and practice matches as well as massively multiplayer online play.
* Players will cross over into the online world where they can take on other console and even PC gamers in massively multiplayer battles.

Source (http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=48201)

poematik14
12-10-2007, 04:56
Cross platform gaming hasnt really taken off; they tried with Shadowrun and Halo 2, but people didint see the light.

Huxley does look intriguing, and I may get it upon release.

bluvi69
12-10-2007, 07:00
looking good, it is like GeOW with different colour palette.

i do hope games like this have SP mission

Vertisce
12-10-2007, 07:41
Cross platform gaming hasnt really taken off; they tried with Shadowrun and Halo 2, but people didint see the light.

FFXI...works on 4 platforms if you consider the PS2 and PS3 separate. Its proven to be able to work.

Sockpuppet
12-10-2007, 08:44

It probably doesn't help that Shadowrun was crap and Halo 2 is over 3 yrs old. The idea of charging PC users for Live on their PC is easily the largest nail in the coffin.

Anbu_Evolution
12-10-2007, 09:00
Sadly though, I lost interest in this game.

Xaor
12-10-2007, 13:11
They should drop cross-platform, and go for the central idea. Massive battles, thats what I want, don't ****** it up with disbalance.

Graphics look UE3ish, typically for this generation, but shoddy in the distance. As for FFXI... its an MMORPG, its not an FPS AFAIK?

TH3 GAM3
12-10-2007, 13:49
Wow, I guess it was a FPS and I was right.

slpbaseb12
12-10-2007, 15:26
They should do cross-platform as in PS3 and xbox360...now that would be cool.

CrazyLikeDat
12-10-2007, 15:31
This game screams out blehhhhh to me...

TidalPhoenix
12-10-2007, 16:29
What they are trying to achieve here is certainly ambitious. I don't really know what to make of it, there are so many things that could go wrong and just plain suck with a game of this size, but I'll wait and see what the end product before judging.

Can't imagine how an MMORPG can be a FPS though. What's the 'RPG' element to it? How do battles shape the Huxley world? How will the levelling work? So many questions.

Strung Out
12-10-2007, 16:49
What they are trying to achieve here is certainly ambitious. I don't really know what to make of it, there are so many things that could go wrong and just plain suck with a game of this size, but I'll wait and see what the end product before judging.

Can't imagine how an MMORPG can be a FPS though. What's the 'RPG' element to it? How do battles shape the Huxley world? How will the levelling work? So many questions.

I have a feeling it is going to be more like Fantasy Star than anything else. Giant lobby system, group up and go into "instances". Mostly because of the fact they mentioned they are including some single player campaign elements.

I hope not, but it's never very clear exactly how the gameplay is going to work out. Even with how generic every screen looks in terms of textures and color, I can't fathom how they can fit a decent MMO alongside a campaign mode.

I'm interested in this game, it just seems like there is way to much that can go wrong, and unless it's HDD required it seems like the 360 has some limitations that would make any mmo only a fraction of what it could be.

Christopher
12-10-2007, 16:51

Yeah....this game confuses me as well. It looks fantastic as a shooter, but add the MMO part in and I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out how it would work. I have a feeling this game will either be really awesome or really suck.

SolidSnakeUS
12-10-2007, 17:22
Just remember, using the U3 Engine doesn't mean it's gonna be good. It did intrigue me about a year ago when I saw this game in a PC magazine, but it kind of fell off the shelf for me.

Vampirtc
12-10-2007, 17:37
In my opinion MMO is pure PVP that requires actual skills (like playing Unreal Tournament for example) instead of relying on the biggest gun or sword like usually in MMORPGs.

arthur56k
12-10-2007, 17:44

personally, i love developers who go out of their way and become ambitious, it beats being conservative. look at what ME gave gamers, or bioshock

poematik14
12-10-2007, 19:14
They should do cross-platform as in PS3 and xbox360...now that would be cool.

The fanboys would go crazy. TeamXbox.com would meltdown.

sterritt
12-10-2007, 19:21
Sadly though, I lost interest in this game.

Same here, I was really looking forward to it at one point but now I have no desire what so ever to play this game

exYle
12-11-2007, 01:38
Consider what it plans to do, 100 vs 100, I'd say the graphics are quite impressive.

Psypher
12-11-2007, 02:42
Is this the game that uses distance based updates? Something about you receiving packets for players 'x' distance around you, and the others outside of that distance are simulated by AI until you get near that that 'x' distance. That way there won't be as much lag from receiving updates from everyone equally.

Vertisce
12-11-2007, 10:36
I don't think it will succeed with its current setup though. Right now the Hybrids can only be played through the 360. Problem is this is an FPS game. Keyboard and mouse have a hands down advantage over a controller anyday. Not to mention I don't foresee a lot of people wanting to play on a console indefinately. People will pack up and move on to other games leaving one race in the game severely undermanned. It looks like it COULD be a good game...but personally I would rather see an updated version of PlanetSide.