PDA

View Full Version : Recurring Forum Faux Pas That Annoy You

WaspMonkey
01-08-2008, 16:04
Thread title sums it up pretty nicely. Just thought I would start a thread on things you see constantly on the forums that irk you.

I'll get it started.

Loosing.:twisted: As in " HD-DVD is loosing support."

That is not a word. The word is losing. I have seen this so often I wondered if perhaps it was the British spelling.

Thought of another one. Their, there, and they're. I know its confusing with three different variations but just try. It is not always there, or worst cast scenario tehre.

*I am not a grammar Nazi, but I do know the standard rules.

**This doesn't apply to English as a second language people, just lazy native speakers. ;)

Tuffy_UK
01-08-2008, 16:06
Home threads :) Gurrrrrr

words words words

To.Ken
01-08-2008, 16:10
WaspMonky. You need to learn to read fenetically. Its loosing and lewsing ... not losing and loosing.

Dave
01-08-2008, 16:18
Repetitive threads and incorrect grammar top my list.

Zoibie
01-08-2008, 16:51
"I could care less", GET IT RIGHT, it's "I couldn't care less", if you could care less you do care about it!!

FrogmanTM
01-08-2008, 16:58
How about when two (or more) people carry on their own separate conversation within a thread that has nothing to do with the thread topic. I wish there was a way to automatically delete those posts within a thread.

MiNiMaL_sAnItY
01-08-2008, 17:04
"I could care less", GET IT RIGHT, it's "I couldn't care less", if you could care less you do care about it!!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/Complete-Idiot/caring.png

It always annoys me when people will battle pages upon pages just discussing ps3 vs. 360 sales or hardware, but when it comes to the playing the game part, most of these people wont come near the thread.

WaspMonkey
01-08-2008, 17:21
How about when two (or more) people carry on their own separate conversation within a thread that has nothing to do with the thread topic. I wish there was a way to automatically delete those posts within a thread.

I see that you are from Michigan. I went there last year. Visited Mt. Pleasant.

Oops, I think I am doing the thing that you hate. :)

Another one I saw quite frequently for a while for irregardless. Not a word. Its just regardless. You can keep using it if you want though, I could care less. ;)

boogernose
01-08-2008, 18:29
Misuse of these words:

your/you're
then/than
they're/their/there
it's/its
further/farther
affect/effect

And these spelling mistakes:

"rediculous"
"embarass"
"wierd"
"tommorrow"

Sork_Dhee
01-08-2008, 18:31
1.How people will automatically be friendly to users with high ranking within a forum, and more inclined to agree with what they say.

2.How people will automatically dismiss new users with a low ranking within a forum, and more inclined to disagree with, and be argumentative about what they have to say.

One-Shot
01-08-2008, 18:40
1.How people will automatically be friendly to users with high ranking within a forum, and more inclined to agree with what they say.

2.How people will automatically dismiss new users with a low ranking within a forum, and more inclined to disagree with, and be argumentative about what they have to say.
Well you got to admit people with low post counts especially around NPD time usually are the ones with the extreme fanboy comments.

Anyway thing that annoys me the most is the stupid "This site is teh biased!" post or topic. Its so old and never backed up with anything.

TH3 GAM3
01-08-2008, 18:43
I hate die hard fanboys and when people want to argue about something they have no control over, example sales.

WaspMonkey
01-08-2008, 19:09

To add to what you said, it's also generally not a good idea to agree with someone with few posts over someone with a lot of posts.

*I didn't think your ideas about some sigs were completely off the wall ;)*

Behemoko
01-08-2008, 19:24
People who start this thread every 2 months.

Grrrrr.

Lay off, the people never get it, you newer version ain't gonna' do nothin'!

:razz: Oh, and I am a grammar nazi only to the point where I notice nothing that stops me from reading it without having to ponder on what the f**k I just read.

WaspMonkey
01-08-2008, 19:35
People who start this thread every 2 months.

Grrrrr.

Lay off, the people never get it, you newer version ain't gonna' do nothin'!

:razz: Oh, and I am a grammar nazi only to the point where I notice nothing that stops me from reading it without having to ponder on what the f**k I just read.

Not trying to create a utopia or to get anyone to change. Its the Internet, not likely its going to happen. This is meant to be a fun thread in the vein of 'do you read on the toliet.'

As for your grammar Nazi'in' (?) I am had to ponder what you wrote several times and I'm still not sure what's being said. :o

So, in the words of Tears for Fears - "Shout shout, let it out out. These are things I can without. Come on, I'm talking to you, come on."

miamiman
01-08-2008, 19:43
I hate getting banned. Theres this one thread that I post in where no matter what I do... there's someone banning me for no good reason. I'm like, "WHY?!?! What did I ever do to you?"

Sork_Dhee
01-08-2008, 22:49
To add to what you said, it's also generally not a good idea to agree with someone with few posts over someone with a lot of posts.

*I didn't think your ideas about some sigs were completely off the wall ;)*

And why is that? If they have a valid point, why does their' post count matter?

*Thanks, lol*

NinjaFridge
01-08-2008, 23:00
Grammar Nazi's. I don't care that it isn't a faux pas, they suck.

miamiman
01-08-2008, 23:19
It's okay Tuffster...

It's the thought that counts ;)

DangerousMali
01-08-2008, 23:28
i hate it when people sign up to tournaments and never show up it bugs the **** out off me haaa nice to see a place i can vent frustration on lool

i also hate discount games threads

kokoriet
01-09-2008, 01:25
Now that it's been explained to me, and I thought to look it up on wikipedia.. "like comparing apples and oranges" really irks me now. It's just ridiculous. Worse, it's a useless cliche. If there's several kinds of fruit available at any given time, of course I'm going to make comparisons to decide which one I buy, regardless of how their differing traits suggest they can't be fairly compared.

It's the same with everything else, and consoles and games are no different. It's like a half-assed attempt to be witty, which screams "I'm too lazy so I'll do a barrel roll to evade a final comparison!" At least that's how it seems to me :P

Carsonal
01-09-2008, 05:50
So much references to HD movies in gaming discussions.
I dont find them all that relevant overall.
It feels like a real watering down of what should be interesting discussion about games, that end up involving movies.

MDN
01-09-2008, 06:14

Go away low post count nub no one cares what you think :lol:

MrFenwick
01-09-2008, 06:16
I'm tired of the "Which game should I buy?" threads. Come one people! Your the one going to play it, not us. We are not you, we do not know what you like, we do not have your personality, we are not you. Pick a game YOU like, not what WE like. Simple. If you can't choose, RENT THEM.

Don't make me slap you.

Serjndestroy
01-09-2008, 06:35
People ignoring/not reading posts that are perfectly pertinent to the subject being discussed. Especially when they are trying to argue about something, and ignore the strongest points of their opponent's posts, only to try and de-construct less meaningful parts of the argument..

kflashin
01-09-2008, 06:56

2.How people will automatically dismiss new users with a low ranking within a forum, and more inclined to disagree with, and be argumentative about what they have to say.http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/stfu_noob.jpg
I'm just kidding Sork,Don't hit me with the Tiger Uppercut

WaspMonkey
01-09-2008, 14:34
I'm tired of the "Which game should I buy?" threads. Come one people! Your the one going to play it, not us. We are not you, we do not know what you like, we do not have your personality, we are not you. Pick a game YOU like, not what WE like. Simple. If you can't choose, RENT THEM.

Don't make me slap you.

I agree with you on this one. Its one thing to get opinions on games you are considering but ultimately it your purchase. I generally check out reviews and what people are saying about the game but if I really want it I am going to get it regardless of what I've seen or read. I have come across some gems that were written off as average and just ok.

DangerousMali
01-09-2008, 15:09
i hate those lazy avatarless dudes its so hard to tell em apart

and i find it funny when anime council members take over a thread and continously post after eachother loool all of a sudden it looks like your on a anime forum

Tuffy_UK
01-09-2008, 15:26
"imgame xmb will never work" - shut up. you dont work as a technical engineer for sony, so shut up :)

Horschack
01-09-2008, 23:54
I hate it when someone posts something (I know I'm new on this forum...I mean on ANY forum) and someone else replies with "Old". You know, obviously it isn't old to someone, AT LEAST to the original poster, or they would not have posted it. Many of these threads contain things that are new to me, so "old" or not I enjoy seeing some of them.

Just because something is old to someone doesn't make it old to everyone. I generally regard replies of "Old" as examples of snobbery.

furby
01-10-2008, 00:12
I am with Fenwick on the game decision threads. I hate them. I also hate how most threads are trying to prove other people wrong by posting your ingame screenshots.

Stickboy46
01-10-2008, 21:48
The worst is "Micro$oft paid them" or "they are on M$'s payroll"

Just because someone doesnt like the PS3 or a PS3 game doesnt mean they are being paid by Microsoft. It just means they have a opinion lol.

miamiman
01-10-2008, 22:55
The worst is "Micro$oft paid them" or "they are on M$'s payroll"

Just because sony doesnt like the PS3 or a PS3 game doesnt mean they are being paid by Microsoft. It just means they have a opinion lol.

:lol:
Sony doesn't like the PS3!?!? :confused:

Beodude123
01-10-2008, 23:02
As in " HD-DVD is loosing support."

Mine is people trying HD-DVD instead of HD DVD. There is no dash in there. LoL:D

But seriously, I hate people that type one sentence per line, and start a new one.
It gets really annoying.
I just don't get why they do it.

Svetlana
01-11-2008, 00:15
First and foremost, the bane of all our lives...fanboys. I'll never understand the logic of people who sign up to a forum that they supposedly have no interest in just to cause untold grief and misery for its regulars. If you're a fanboy/girl and you're reading this and feel a tinge of guilt, please do the honourable thing and cancel your PS3Forums account so that I, and the other moderators, don't have to do it for you.

Holier than thou types. You know the sort I'm talking about - the ones that insult and speak to others in a condescending manner and only like to hear their own opinions ad infinitum.

People who respond to threads with one words and short, often illegible, sentences. It would be nice not to have to read responses from people whose raison d'etre is to contravene minimum word/character rules.

Finally...whiners about forum moderation. Fine, we're doing a horrible job. There's no need to make forty threads in every section of the forum detailing this. A simple PM to a moderator or administrator should suffice.

Stickboy46
01-11-2008, 18:11
:lol:
Sony doesn't like the PS3!?!? :confused:

Whoops, edited for correctness lol. :DD

WaspMonkey
01-12-2008, 01:22
Just thought of another. Accept vs. except. Two totally different words with totally different uses. I am more accepting of mistaking effect vs. affect, except in certain circumstances.

WaspMonkey
09-16-2008, 20:07
Witch and which. Our and are. I think there is a difference in being a grammar nazi and being able to reasonably expect someone to be somewhat proficient in their native language. Also, note the use of native language as this doesn't apply to ESL members (and that includes the Irish :lol: ;) )

SoDev
09-16-2008, 20:42
I hate when people double post, especially when it's 9 months apart. ;)

No ,no.. I hate when people edit their posts after they have been quoted. Especially when it's to save face. There is nothing more pathetic that you can do on a forum. It's okay if it is a minor grammar fix.

Womble
09-16-2008, 21:12
I hate the constant *****ing, unless it's something worth moaning about :D

darky89
09-16-2008, 21:24
Oh you bloody grammar nazi.

Killller
09-16-2008, 22:28
When people capitalize every first letter, for example, of a song name:

"Into The Mouth Of Hell" NO, not like that. Like this:

"Into the Mouth of Hell" Damn. People need to get that **** right.

JaPo
09-16-2008, 22:42
Getting banned for fighting my corner/performing the public service of Vigilante against fanboys.

'Could care less' - pointless.

'I would of done it' - I would HAVE done it.

Remarkably, I think I saw both of these mistakes in Great Gatsby when I read it recently.

There should be more debates - they're what make forums fun.

Mindless fanboys with half a brain cell between them. The village idiot 'coolguy' being the main culprit.

THUGGEDOUT
09-17-2008, 09:29
Hey WaspMonkey, how is it you're not in the QPI? I'm sure once Blacksite sees this, he will most certainly try to get you recruited...;)

Gilly3
09-17-2008, 10:39
i hate having 'to be released this fall'

for gods sake there are 2 halves to the world. the world does not revolve around america.

bobjenkins
09-17-2008, 11:04
You just made me realize that the seasons are different in different places, never really had anytime to ponder about that:) <br />
------ <br />
<br />
<br />
People who argue that other teams are superior to the...

Gotmilk
09-17-2008, 11:11
all you guys should use this siggiy, damn forum keeps changing it to jpeg

TheSteeeeels
09-17-2008, 12:24
I hate when people nag you for mis-spelling something even though it's only a ****ing forum.

scaramanga1973
09-17-2008, 12:59
Thread title sums it up pretty nicely. Just thought I would start a thread on things you see constantly on the forums that irk you.

I'll get it started.

Loosing.:twisted: As in " HD-DVD is loosing support."

That is not a word. The word is losing. I have seen this so often I wondered if perhaps it was the British spelling.

Thought of another one. Their, there, and they're. I know its confusing with three different variations but just try. It is not always there, or worst cast scenario tehre.

*I am not a grammar Nazi, but I do know the standard rules.

**This doesn't apply to English as a second language people, just lazy native speakers. ;)

Quoting the OP all the time..............whoops

scaramanga1973
09-17-2008, 13:00
Double posting...........damnit!

WaspMonkey
09-17-2008, 14:50
Hey WaspMonkey, how is it you're not in the QPI? I'm sure once Blacksite sees this, he will most certainly try to get you recruited...;)

You should work on that for me. I'll snap these here forums into shape.

Got another one to add...courtesy of a Republican rival JonJon: We're vs were. As in were you going to do that? No, we're going to do it later.

Metal King Slime
09-17-2008, 22:15
I hate it when people have the misinterpretation of me as scouting for members who would be worthy of joining the QPI, as opposed to actually having members themselves apply for the initiative. Haha, don't make it sound like we're a bunch of elitists. On another note, I hate it when I say that I'm going to be away from the forums for a while, and then I randomly check out the forums when I have some free-time and see an interesting thread...to which I have the sudden urge to post in right away.

What's this talk about being a grammar nazi? ;)