PDA

View Full Version : Naughty Dog vets push Big Red Button, Goes Cross Platform

X2
02-16-2008, 07:06
Former art director and creative director of Uncharted developer strike out on their own to make accessible, original cross-platform games. I guess that is where the money is.

The current game-industry landscape is a challenging environment for startup studios, and even more so for those looking to focus on their own original intellectual properties. Given that, it's a good thing for the recently incorporated Big Red Button Entertainment that the operation is in the hands of two veteran developers with a lengthy track record of success at Naughty Dog, the studio behind Uncharted, Jak and Daxter, and the original Crash Bandicoot.

DO NOT PUSH.

Naughty Dog's former art director and concept artist Bob Rafei and senior designer and creative director E. Daniel Arey have taken the reins of Big Red Button, their latest collaboration. According to the studio's Web site, it has six original intellectual properties in concept development, and is striving to produce "games you want to watch and films you want to play." Big Red Button will also emphasize accessible games, stating that it intends to expand the gaming market's emotional appeal, as well as its age and gender demographics.

With the stated objective of creating "original character-based intellectual properties for cross-platform and cross-media development," Big Red Button is currently forming a staff of artists, designers, and animators, beginning with an executive programmer. The studio will have some form of profit sharing with its employees, and intends to model its company culture after United Artists, the film studio originally established with the goal of increasing actors' leverage in a nascent medium.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186167.html?tag=latestnews;title;2

exYle
02-16-2008, 07:28
Hmmm... I wonder what Jason Rubin is doing right now?

arthur56k
02-16-2008, 07:29
6 games in concept development, and they are looking like multiplatform? lets wait for 2 years and see how they pan out

TGO
02-16-2008, 07:31
*LMFAO! @ OP's comment*
Now, now, calm down ;)
On a side note, I look foward to their work, but their names don't ring any bells

Carsonal
02-16-2008, 07:32
I've only ever played one of their games(ND), which was the original Jak and Daxter.
I hear the sequels were much better

arthur56k
02-16-2008, 07:37
*LMFAO! @ OP's comment*
Now, now, calm down ;)
On a side note, I look foward to their work, but their names don't ring any bells
that may be because ND let their titles do the talking, most other dev houses have people who are on the news to often, Dyack, itagaki, hastings, Eggebrecht etc and sometimes, they are there for the wrong reasons

Dasimpse
02-16-2008, 07:56
OH man now cue the reverse talkings by 360 fans that sony fans do about RARE.

Ill get a couple in now! "uncharted 2 is gonna suck, coz obviousley these guys were the only good guys in company" sarcasm! :D

"ND was never the same after these 2 left" :D

"lolz uncharted on 360???" ;)

maybe some more!

On the real though thx for headsup and lets see what they do!

arthur56k
02-16-2008, 08:01
^^^^ i really dont think you are helping the discussion, the team will survive, Halo did lose the multiplayer lead who went on to form certain affinity after doing some work on halo triple, and before that the founders left. did that in anyway stop bungie from delivering what people expected, if not surpass those expectations? hell no

in as much as it is a loss for the ps3 in these games going multi, the team at ND will have to soldier on, i really dont think their production quality will drop

Carsonal
02-16-2008, 08:01

Ill get a couple in now! "uncharted 2 is gonna suck, coz obviousley these guys were the only good guys in company" sarcasm! :D

maybe some more!

Pray this thread doesnt fall to that infection.

Or play hungry hungry hippos.
Theres no hope

TGO
02-16-2008, 08:02
that may be because ND let their titles do the talking, most other dev houses have people who are on the news to often, Dyack, itagaki, hastings, Eggebrecht etc and sometimes, they are there for the wrong reasons

Ah, I know why :roll:
They both joined Ready At Dawn & was on the Daxter game together, their last ND game was Jak X
God It's so hard to keep up with devs these days, I remember who they are now

Edit: awww, somebody jumped the gun a bit uh Dasimpse :lol:

arthur56k
02-16-2008, 08:06
Ah, I know why :roll:
They both joined Ready At Dawn & was on the Daxter game together, their last ND game was Jak X
God It's so hard to keep up with devs these days, I remember who they are now
and uncharted, the one game you praise on your sig;). hope you are done spinning

TGO
02-16-2008, 08:33
and uncharted, the one game you praise on your sig;). hope you are done spinning

Sorry, Uncharted wasn't listed in both their Gameography
Daxter was their last game, maybe you're reading it wrong
It says *they had success at Naughty Dog, The studio behind Uncharted, Jak & Daxter*
Daniel's bio says he left ND in 06, so no nothing to spin:|
plus Rafei, I believe is the guy behind the Jak & Daxter character design

arthur56k
02-16-2008, 08:49
Sorry, Uncharted wasn't listed in both their Gameography
Daxter was their last game, maybe you're reading it wrong
It says *they had success at Naughty Dog, The studio behind Uncharted, Jak & Daxter*
Daniel's bio says he left ND in 06, so no nothing to spin:|
plus Rafei, I believe is the guy behind the Jak & Daxter character design
sorry, my bad, hope you accept my apology, thanks for the info.:eek:

TGO
02-16-2008, 14:57
sorry, my bad, hope you accept my apology, thanks for the info.:eek:

No problem, they're still great devs regardless of when they left ND & I'm sure we'll see great stuff from them

A7MAD
02-16-2008, 15:12
Great news for gamers, bad news for the blindhards.

Posting this on my Triple. :)

Chemo
02-16-2008, 15:19
Great news for gamers, bad news for the blindhards.

Posting this on my Triple. :)

i don't see this as bad news for anybody is not like they played a part in making Uncharted.

YoungMullah88
02-16-2008, 15:26
they didnt, but the 360 hardcores will try to spin it, to make it look like all hell is breaking loose

Infinite Daremo
02-16-2008, 15:31
they didnt, but the 360 hardcores will try to spin it, to make it look like all hell is breaking loose

Just like when Bungie bailed out? :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

YoungMullah88
02-16-2008, 15:47
Just like when Bungie bailed out? :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

like i give a **** what bungie does!

Infinite Daremo
02-16-2008, 15:52
like i give a **** what bungie does!

Never said you did. But a similar situation happened on both sides of the fence:

Bungie's Independance - Fanboy fest
Rares talent is now elsewhere - Always a good excuse to rag on a MS owned company.
Factor 5 getting canned - LOL's all around
Few Naughty Dog Seniors leaving - Watch events unfold

Yeh its gonna be dramatised but in 2 days itll be forgotten.

Baki
02-16-2008, 15:59
Pray this thread doesnt fall to that infection.

Or play hungry hungry hippos.
Theres no hope
Hopefully we'll get some decent action adventure games now from this compnay.
@Carsonal: :lol: love your position in SNF. :snicker

EbonySeraphim
02-16-2008, 16:12

maybe some more!

The title of the thread in the section alone warrants "reverse talking." People switch jobs all the time in the industry - in any industry. The fact we're hearing about this means the author of the article thinks there is something behind the fact that he left Naughty Dog and wants to go multiplatform either because he feels that multiplatform games are better than making exclusive titles for Sony, or maybe he thinks multiplatform is better than making exclusive titles for any platform. Then lets look at the fact that this was posted in the XBox360 section when the entire article makes no mention of that machine or a first party studio associated with it. Regardless of if the article had no bias, putting it here suddenly introduces it.

It would have been more relevant and far safer to post this thread in the PS3 section.

SuperiorIntellect
02-16-2008, 16:17
This happens a lot in the Game Industry. Developers and designers start under the wing of a company, learn the trade then go off and make their own game. I don't think this is anything new.

David Jaffe left Sony a while back, to further himself as a game designer. I don't think ND has anything to worry about game quality wise, they have a great relationship with Sony and their a large enough company that they can attract new up and coming designers.

That said, it will be interesting to see what these two can do. Some of the new small game companies have come up with the best ideas as of late, and another one can't hurt.

Baki
02-16-2008, 16:20
This happens a lot in the Game Industry. Developers and designers start under the wing of a company, learn the trade then go off and make their own game. I don't think this is anything new.

David Jaffe left Sony a while back, to further himself as a game designer. I don't think ND has anything to worry about game quality wise, they have a great relationship with Sony and their a large enough company that they can attract new up and coming designers.

That said, it will be interesting to see what these two can do. Some of the new small game companies have come up with the best ideas as of late, and another one can't hurt.
Yup, these people don't have console loyalties. They want their product to reach as much people as possible and multi-platform allows that.

Redman_DK
02-16-2008, 19:22
I think it's great they're doing it. Naughty Dog are some great Dev's, but since the company is so big, there'll always be a few people that got some big visions they can't get out . By starting their own studio they can do whatever they want.

Carsonal
02-16-2008, 23:05

Isn't that just what any internet hardcore would do?
Al quaeda websites often claims to be responsible for attacks that they really don't have a clue whether they were behind or not.

Bitbydeath
02-16-2008, 23:14
Wait, so people that have never worked on the PS3 before are leaving Naughty Dog and making a new team to make new games for all consoles.

Where is the bad in that?

More games are a good thing. :rolleyes:

OKlondon
02-16-2008, 23:56
Why is this in the 360 section, sounds to me that OP is begging for a Naughty Dog member to make a game for the 360, on topic well good news for gamers overall. Personally I prefer games to be on one platform as you get better games. I dont mind games being ported after but I prefer games to stay on one platform as the devs are more focused on the content of the game and making it better than trying to make it run on more than one platform.

A7MAD
02-17-2008, 00:15
Like I said again, good news for gamers, bad news for the blindhards, enough said.

Morganator
02-17-2008, 00:43
Uh! Did I mis something? If I comprehend the article right, It doesn't say anything about Naughty Dog becoming multi-platform and even if they did, it's not like it's entirely a bad thing. The only thing I see is that This Big Red Button startup company is getting two former higher ups of Naughty Dog and making multi-platform games based on original IPs and ideas. Am I getting this right?

A7MAD
02-17-2008, 00:58
Uh! Did I mis something? If I comprehend the article right, It doesn't say anything about Naughty Dog becoming multi-platform and even if they did, it's not like it's entirely a bad thing. The only thing I see is that This Big Red Button startup company is getting two former higher ups of Naughty Dog and making multi-platform games based on original IPs and ideas. Am I getting this right?

Roger on that, which is why it's good news for gamers but people have to state that the makers of Uncharted have not made a move, as if that makes this bad news for gamers :lol:

Too many loyalists clinging for anything, both sides in this thread and it's funny.

Morganator
02-17-2008, 01:05
Roger on that, which is why it's good news for gamers but people have to state that the makers of Uncharted have not made a move, as if that makes this bad news for gamers :lol:

Too many loyalists clinging for anything, both sides in this thread and it's funny.

Really! I could care less what happens so long as the quality of the games stay top-notch.

A7MAD
02-17-2008, 01:34
Really! I could care less what happens so long as the quality of the games stay top-notch.

I hear you, but I think you meant couldn't care less and you're right so long as devs keep pumping out quality and great new IP's it's win/win. :)

The Sith
02-17-2008, 04:20
Yup, these people don't have console loyalties. They want their product to reach as much people as possible and multi-platform allows that.

well if the ps3 didnt have the worst software sales. Maybe they wouldnt have to go multiplat like factor 5.

Cylinder
02-17-2008, 04:31
Capitalism is good! I hope M$ drops the 360 price and Sony is forced to follow suit.

Morganator
02-17-2008, 04:32
well if the ps3 didnt have the worst software sales. Maybe they wouldnt have to go multiplat like factor 5.

Quit your flame baiting while your still ahead. This has been debunked on several occasions and if you don't believe it, LOOK IT UP!!!