PDA

View Full Version : Why is GTA IV looking worse and worse instead of better and better?

makeitlookreal
02-21-2008, 23:24
Can anyone tell me why GTA IV is looking worse and worse instead of better and better? The earlier screenshots look better than some of those that have been released in the past few weeks!

Also, the video clips I've seen in the past few weeks do NOT look impressive. The gameplay looks FUN but the graphics look like they were downgraded.

Are the developers really pushing to make this game look as good as possible? I just don't see with the power of the PS3 and the XBox 360 why this game looks so bad.

~NeonFire~
02-21-2008, 23:28
It's not the best looking game in the world but the Grand Theft Auto series has always been built on gameplay > graphics. It does look a lot better than the previous generation of GTA games though.

euroaddict17
02-21-2008, 23:30
It's not the best looking game in the world but the Grand Theft Auto series has always been built on gameplay > graphics. It does look a lot better than the previous generation of GTA games though.
I agree, couldn't have said it better.

m9105826
02-21-2008, 23:31
The Euphoira is where it's at this time around.

xPyro
02-21-2008, 23:31
lol, give Rockstar a break. This is GTA's first time in next generation gaming. The franchise has NEVER been about graphics, it's always the gameplay and story which drives it.

But in my opinion, the graphics look very good for GTA's first outing onto next gen platforms.
Even if it isn't up to par with other ps3/360 games, judging from the trailers, they have created the atmosphere brilliantly.

EDIT: d.amn my slow computer.. Neon beat me to it :mrgreen:

coolguy
02-21-2008, 23:32
yup its the game play that really makes the GTA series shine.
but the game will look the same on both consoles

A D O X 2 5 2 5
02-21-2008, 23:33
i sorta agree with the OP but i was under the impression that ONLY 360 screens had been shown so far.

ttech10
02-21-2008, 23:37
I think the game looks really good. R* isn't focusing primarily on graphics though... this game is going to be based mainly on AI and things of that sort. The graphics are just an added bonus.

N.HalesLegacy
02-21-2008, 23:50
Man you guys are insane. The game is looking better and better. It already looks better then most of the next gen games that are out now.

You guys are going to be highly disappointed for the next couple years in games.

DeanoIV
02-21-2008, 23:53

Hmm I wouldn't say alot better than previous GTA games. Character models look awful, the faces/animation, just not realistic at all. And as for some of the textures well :???: I don't really care if a game is about graphics or not, next-gen is next-gen and you should be able to tell in terms of graphics.

makeitlookreal
02-21-2008, 23:58
Look at this screenshot. The game looks awful.

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/1280x720Image.html?image=wet/boothTunnel/booth_1280x720.jpg

Treefrog
02-21-2008, 23:58
The thing with GTA is theres nothing else like it on the planet, sure theres other sandbox type games, but they dont have the sense of style, humor and scale of the GTA franshise.

The only game this can be compared to is it's previous iteration. When you do, its a AAA Platinum Quantum Leap above GTA:SA.

As said, never expect the highest of graphics, but expect a compelling story, with plenty of humour and love em hate em characters. GTAIV will be the best yet, by a mile.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 00:02
The designers of this game could have a great storyline and great graphics. I think they just don't care.

KatanaKing
02-22-2008, 00:15
The Euphoira is where it's at this time around.

I can't wait to see this for real, its going to kick ass.........2 more months and we will have it in our hand, who knows, maybe even sooner.....

N.HalesLegacy
02-22-2008, 00:19

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/1280x720Image.html?image=wet/boothTunnel/booth_1280x720.jpg

I think that screenshot looks great. Good lighting, good textures, good details. What are you expected? Crysis?

like I said, these graphics surpasses most games already out and better then some games still yet to come out.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 00:22
If you think that screenshot looks great you are blind.

1) Everything is fuzzy.
2) The textures are poor.
3) The car models look like they are from a PS2 game.

Name|ess
02-22-2008, 00:27
^ Look at the trailers if you want to see the game in motion...
Anyone expecting a game of this scope to have incredible visuals is being unrealistic or never played a GTA title.

I have confidence the game will be great considering all of the positive comments by game analyst who have played early builds of the game.

Shadowfyre
02-22-2008, 00:29
Well, graphics aren't everything, but they do take an effect. I know that rockstar could've made the graphics much better, but then it would have cost allot more to make and take longer to make. Though Rockstar should have enough money to pay the best game designers and get it out on time, so I do agree it should look better.

Black F 0 X

dog **** wat da hell is that it looks like my lil sister painting like a french person.... come on i dont give a ****...you cant even see the gameplay with graphics like that lol you dont know whether your shooting or - i bet your hand will look like a ball

Kauldron

1) Everything is fuzzy.

:lol:

Go take a look at previous versions. GTA has never had good graphics.

Well, maybe the 2D one.

MEMEROOT
02-22-2008, 00:37
and that is such an excuse

lets face it theyre coke addled coders who see sh*te as part of the charm, is it - heck you buy it

moots
02-22-2008, 00:41
The designers of this game could have a great storyline and great graphics. I think they just don't care.
Maybe its the ps2 or psp version of the game.

P.S.3
02-22-2008, 00:54
dog **** wat da hell is that it looks like my lil sister painting like a french person.... come on i dont give a ****...you cant even see the gameplay with graphics like that lol you dont know whether your shooting or - i bet your hand will look like a ball
Whoa man your sister must be one hell of a painter.

Honestabe86
02-22-2008, 00:58
Since GTA3, bits and pieces of things in the game graphically don't look that good at all, but the sum total makes the graphics top notch.

SV21-RE5 will be #1
02-22-2008, 01:08
when ur creating a huge living city with all most every thing interact-able, tons of people, huge physics boost, and so on, its hard to make it look like crysis.
1.) GTA has never been known for ming blowing graphics
2.) the game looks pretty **** good for what else is gooing on in the game
3.)Come on!!!8) its frakin GTA!!!!! 4

bambam50
02-22-2008, 01:13
I'm buying it. I can still play the old ones with the old graphics, I know I can play this one. I can't wait to just drive through New York. Its going to be crrruuurrrrrazzzzy.

EVILPS3
02-22-2008, 01:36
when ur creating a huge living city with all most every thing interact-able, tons of people, huge physics boost, and so on, its hard to make it look like crysis.
I totally agree anyone who disses the graphics obviously knows **** all and can go and buy heavenly sword or something if there after graphics, I myself cant wait for GTAIV.

Rynoboy
02-22-2008, 02:18
those new screen shots that are posted on this forum are amazing to me
I think it looks great

vipergts2207
02-22-2008, 02:53
and that is such an excuse

lets face it theyre coke addled coders who see sh*te as part of the charm, is it - heck you buy it

Do you have a source for this? Oh wait, nevermind, of course you just made it up.

GrandTheftAuto4
02-22-2008, 03:05
I've seen some really great looking screen shots and some others that are'nt as good but honestly I think once you get the disk in your ps3 and its actually on your tv you will be suprised.

metalhead
02-22-2008, 03:44
Like other people have said the graphics aren't important because if rockstar really wanted to make the graphics insane think about the framerate lag. Insane

N.HalesLegacy
02-22-2008, 04:03

1) Everything is fuzzy.

you're complaining about the filters. They are ment to be there. like i said in my other post, you want a clean, crisp shinny game, not a real realistic, gritty one.

As for the cars, look at the pics of them up close, the games that had cars looking that good was Grand Turismo 4

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 04:11
I know that GTA was never known for great graphics. However, with the PS3 and the 360 they have the ability to have great graphics. I think we as consumers should push them to have both. There is NO reason for them not to make the graphics top notch.

Mr.Blah
02-22-2008, 04:12
If you're worried about the graphics on GTAIV then buy it on the PC, all the more for us that want to play the game for the GAME, not pritty pictures.

And the reason that the game isn't up to your standards is probably limited by the RAM (like last gen?), have you seen how many textures this game has to 'remember' all at once? It's nothing like Uncharted in the (relatively) small jungle coridors, it's a whole frigin city! (with enterable buildings)

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 04:13

I'm not asking for graphics like Crysis. I'm just asking for something BETTER than a HD PS2 game.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 04:14
If you're worried about the graphics on GTAIV then buy it on the PC, all the more for us that want to play the game for the GAME, not pritty pictures.

Don't you realize you can have both?

You are a consumer and you should demand the most for your dollar.

XSpike_SpiegelC
02-22-2008, 04:25

yes...and I as the CONSUMER of GTAs since GTA III see this as FREAKING AWESOME!!

and we are not saying that you should not care about graphics..... These graphics are freaking amazing, and if you look at the physics, the AI, the actual living breathing city.... Then you can see that the devs put sooo much time into it...

quit being a graphics whore and actually look at the game.............

Mr.Blah
02-22-2008, 04:26

Well if that's the case then why don't I demande to be given the game for $2? We can demand anything and everything but wishing won't make the hardware we are using more powerful, because last time I checked, the PS3 and Xbox360 are not all-powerful.

Rockstar is anything but lazy, and they know how to make a good game, and I trust them (well, as much as I can trust someone asking for my money) to make a good d*mn game

Daz
02-22-2008, 04:30
They cant make the game look better on the PS3 than the 360, so they must downgrade it on the PS3 so it looks the same as the 360 version. It all needs to fit on one disc ya know........:)........../sarcasm

DeAdLy_cOoKiE
02-22-2008, 04:32
I think it looks better and better actually. I'm getting more and more excited with each new screenshot or movie.

Disturbed05
02-22-2008, 04:38
That screen shot is terrible & there is no one the final copy will look like that. I'm no graphics whore but come on that is terrible. I'll be buying the game no matter what but I really hope for allot better than that.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 04:48
yes...and I as the CONSUMER of GTAs since GTA III see this as FREAKING AWESOME!!

and we are not saying that you should not care about graphics..... These graphics are freaking amazing, and if you look at the physics, the AI, the actual living breathing city.... Then you can see that the devs put sooo much time into it...

quit being a graphics whore and actually look at the game.............

The game is going to be awesome. But the graphics are not very good. I'm saying that the developers need to put more time into the graphics.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 04:50
They cant make the game look better on the PS3 than the 360, so they must downgrade it on the PS3 so it looks the same as the 360 version. It all needs to fit on one disc ya know........:)........../sarcasm

That is possible. They might be downgrading the game so it can all fit on the 360 DVD. If that is the case then PS3 owners need to boycott the game until the developers optimize it for the PS3.

Qdeathstar
02-22-2008, 05:40
Can anyone tell me why GTA IV is looking worse and worse instead of better and better? The earlier screenshots look better than some of those that have been released in the past few weeks!

Also, the video clips I've seen in the past few weeks do NOT look impressive. The gameplay looks FUN but the graphics look like they were downgraded.

Are the developers really pushing to make this game look as good as possible? I just don't see with the power of the PS3 and the XBox 360 why this game looks so bad.

I think it has do to with the filter effects and not the graphics of the game itself. The Screenshots are all fuzzy as if some sorta filter has been put over them.. while all the videos look quite good...

cb_32
02-22-2008, 06:14
Why are people bitching about the GTA4 graphics? GTA has always been about mindless fun and violence, the graphics don't need to be high end at all.

Bandersnatch
02-22-2008, 06:48
The graphics could be worse, what if they took the cel-shaded route? *shudders*

RedDragon7
02-22-2008, 07:11
First of all comparing these two screens:
http://www.granneman.com/images/gtaIII.gif
I fail to see a big next-gen leap. Yes there's a difference, GTAIV looks a little bit better. And the game truly doesn't look incredibly horrible. And I hope to be impressed come its release and I really get to see it for what its worth, but fom these screens, I just don't see a big difference. It looks similar to Spider-Man 3 honestly.

Like other people have said the graphics aren't important because if rockstar really wanted to make the graphics insane think about the framerate lag. Insane
The Getaway 3 (http://www.kikizo.com/viewer/imageview_games.asp?thegetaway_ps3_sep05/01.jpg)

Hopefully we'll see more of this game at E3 maybe. THIS is what GTAIV should be... visually.

Metal King Slime
02-22-2008, 07:22
I wasn't aware the OP here was such a graphics-whore who is talking smack about a game he's never layed his hands on. Let me say this once so that everyone can understand what the GTA franchise is all about and how it'll affect next-gen gaming. The game looks fine and the graphics have been getting better ever since the first trailer was showcased to the public. The game values gameplay over graphics and even though this is next-gen gaming we're talking about you have to understand that making a game for a next-gen console isn't exactly a walk in the park. Last I've heard the game is a multi-platform experience. And Houser from Rockstar has openly stated that "we're trying to make the game as equal on both consoles, in terms of graphics, as possible" so people won't nit-pick at every small or obvious detail.

Better yet, why don't YOU make a videogame and work on it for a year or so. And everytime you release screenshots of the game knowing that it isn't the finished product, there will be someone who will call out your work and say how bad it is or how it's beginning to look worse than it has before. I mean, seriously...

...unless you have made a next-gen game yourself, you have absolutely NO right to tell everyone how bad a game is or how it's getting worse and worse. I don't think you understand how game development works. You coming on these forums and publicly nit-picking a work-in-progress next-gen multi-platform title is a bad move.

Learn the tools of game development before you degrade someone's work.

RedDragon7
02-22-2008, 07:35
I wasn't aware the OP here was such a graphics-whore who is talking smack about a game he's never layed his hands on. Let me say this once so that everyone can understand what the GTA franchise is all about and how it'll affect next-gen gaming. The game looks fine and the graphics have been getting better ever since the first trailer was showcased to the public. The game values gameplay over graphics and even though this is next-gen gaming we're talking about you have to understand that making a game for a next-gen console isn't exactly a walk in the park. Last I've heard the game is a multi-platform experience. And Houser from Rockstar has openly stated that "we're trying to make the game as equal on both consoles, in terms of graphics, as possible" so people won't nit-pick at every small or obvious detail.

Better yet, why don't YOU make a videogame and work on it for a year or so. And everytime you release screenshots of the game knowing that it isn't the finished product, there will be someone who will call out your work and say how bad it is or how it's beginning to look worse than it has before. I mean, seriously...

...unless you have made a next-gen game yourself, you have absolutely NO right to tell everyone how bad a game is or how it's getting worse and worse. I don't think you understand how game development works. You coming on these forums and publicly nit-picking a work-in-progress next-gen multi-platform title is a bad move.

Learn the tools of game development before you degrade someone's work.
Not the "If you haven't made a videogame, you shouldn't be talking"... argument. Thats old and a little off actually. I'm pretty sure a lot of reviewers have never developed a game and review them. Hell I bet YOU at some point have said a game doesn't look too good during development. We all do this.

Anyway, I know the game isn't finished, but I can tell you from seeing other games like Call of Duty 4... the unfinished graphics do not look night and day different from the final result. Maybe a couple textures polished up, lighting tweaked, etc. The game doesn't get a massive overhaul in visuals by final release, not a mere couple months from release anyway.

Again, I'm not saying GTAIV looks like absolute garbage, I'm just not impressed for such a highly anticipated game. I hope it turns out a bit better than those screens show, because the gameplay sounds very thorough. It's just... look at The Getaway 3... I just don't fully understand why they can't get some tools to help bring this up a couple notches.

Metal King Slime
02-22-2008, 07:49
How can you compare this to a game like Call of Duty 4? They're both two very different titles that use very different engines from a very different perspective in terms of gameplay and graphics. I'm just saying that just because a game looks bad in terms of graphics doesn't mean you should negate the following purchase of the game. I think people fail to realize that games are all about gameplay and control, NOT how it looks. By this I mean the GTA franchise has always been about gameplay. And seeing as how the game will be released, and correct me if I'm wrong, on April of this year, keep in mind that that's enough time to make the game "look better".

RedDragon7
02-22-2008, 08:00
How can you compare this to a game like Call of Duty 4? They're both two very different titles that use very different engines from a very different perspective in terms of gameplay and graphics. I'm just saying that just because a game looks bad in terms of graphics doesn't mean you should negate the following purchase of the game. I think people fail to realize that games are all about gameplay and control, NOT how it looks. By this I mean the GTA franchise has always been about gameplay. And seeing as how the game will be released, and correct me if I'm wrong, on April of this year, keep in mind that that's enough time to make the game "look better".I wasn't referring to COD4 for the game, just the development progression... visually. Forget all the engine dissimilarities, just the differences in how it looks from E3 to launch. A little better but just tweaks at that point.

Actually, its because the gameplay sounds so in-depth and thorough I'm still considering getting the game, I just don't see why the game couldn't look better. It looks decent, not horrible, but I think it could look much better. And yes there's still some time for them to polish it up, but that time period will just tweak various elements.

illusionstj
02-22-2008, 08:08

Then how the **** did people play the first GTA's, because they sure as hell weren't up to par with even that ss. The game graphics wise doesn't look absolutely stunning, but that could be because of how large they're making the city. You can't put extreme detail into such a huge project. I hate to defend this game because I was never a huge fan of the series, but some of you are griping a bit too much.

Metal King Slime
02-22-2008, 08:15
Then how the **** did people play the first GTA's, because they sure as hell weren't up to par with even that ss. The game graphics wise doesn't look absolutely stunning, but that could be because of how large they're making the city. You can't put extreme detail into such a huge project. I hate to defend this game because I was never a huge fan of the series, but some of you are griping a bit too much.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The sheer scale of the city is massive seeing as how it's being divided into four quadrants. You guys should be happy that GTA IV will not be having any problems with draw-distance or lagging due to there being to much action going on (i.e. explosions and people running amok in the streets). I mean the fact that the game is hitting next-gen consoles should give the franchise enough credit for keeping up with other copy-cat sandbox games like Saint's Row. In the end the game will look and play fine. There's nothing to worry about.

No one will think twice about the graphics when they get the chance to play the game.

RedDragon7
02-22-2008, 08:23
That's exactly what I was thinking. The sheer scale of the city is massive seeing as how it's being divided into four quadrants. You guys should be happy that GTA IV will not be having any problems with draw-distance or lagging due to there being to much action going on (i.e. explosions and people running amok in the streets). I mean the fact that the game is hitting next-gen consoles should give the franchise enough credit for keeping up with other copy-cat sandbox games like Saint's Row. In the end the game will look and play fine. There's nothing to worry about.

No one will think twice about the graphics when they get the chance to play the game.
Thats what I though about Spider-Man 3. And Saint's Row... ya that didn't look that great either, but I think that was a launch title, or close to?

Again, extreme graphics and detail ARE possible. The Getaway 3. The system can do it and can run it perfectly fine. THAT'S next-gen in my book... graphically.

Metal King Slime
02-22-2008, 08:30
Thats what I though about Spider-Man 3. And Saint's Row... ya that didn't look that great either, but I think that was a launch title, or close to?

Again, extreme graphics and detail ARE possible. The Getaway 3. The system can do it and can run it perfectly fine. THAT'S next-gen in my book... graphically.
The footage of The Getaway 3 was basically a tech demo shown back in early 2005 when the technology and specs for the PlayStation 3 console weren't even up and finalized. While it is possible to achieve those kinds of graphics, we won't be seeing it anytime soon. The only thing close to those kinds of graphics was Gran Turismo 5: Prologue...and it surpassed it only because the devs at Polyphony Digital knew how to work with the RSX and CELL together to achieve those kinds of graphics.

In short, don't worry about the graphics.

Lozt_again
02-22-2008, 08:57
Man you guys are insane. The game is looking better and better. It already looks better then most of the next gen games that are out now.

You guys are going to be highly disappointed for the next couple years in games.

You seem to be the insane one. While it looks better than those
red faction screens we saw the other day, it does not look to
amazing in the gfx dept.

But then, it was always the whole package that made GTA's
environment. The sun sets, the rain, the cars and passers by.

I'd love to see more weather in these next gen renditions, ie,
snow and hail. Maybe get some ice on the go sometimes.

mobias
02-22-2008, 08:57
For what its worth folks going from past GTA releases (yes I remember following the Vice city and San Andreas releases with as much excitement as GTAIV) pre-release screen shots have never really done the finished game justice. The game always has looked better when on your TV. And the moment Liberty City pops up on your 40 inch High Def TV at the end of April is the moment you'll be blown away as it all comes together. Like every other last gen GTA there will be places where the graphics are awe inspiring and other parts where they will be less so but thats GTA.

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread GTAIV has Euphoria in other words the point is its a sum of its many parts. 2 Days to Vegas and The Getaway may well end up looking great and photo real but i can guarantee you they won't be nearly as much a sum of their parts as GTAIV. Thats what GTA so special.

Metal King Slime
02-22-2008, 09:11
Every screenshot I've seen of GTA IV, from time to time, actually looks better than the last.

-Shafty-
02-22-2008, 09:22
Here's a thought...
All the people who think it LOOKS horrible just dont buy it.
Simple.
Oh and stop whining about something that hasn't even been released.

RedDragon7
02-22-2008, 09:25
The footage of The Getaway 3 was basically a tech demo shown back in early 2005 when the technology and specs for the PlayStation 3 console weren't even up and finalized. While it is possible to achieve those kinds of graphics, we won't be seeing it anytime soon. The only thing close to those kinds of graphics was Gran Turismo 5: Prologue...and it surpassed it only because the devs at Polyphony Digital knew how to work with the RSX and CELL together to achieve those kinds of graphics.

In short, don't worry about the graphics.
GDC '06. It was showing The Edge tools, and how they help in development. Phil Harrison in the presentation video says its entirely real time running on the system. Nothing experimental about it.

And I don't see how with tons of details, everyone doing their own thing, cars going about their business... much like in GTAIV, that the game wouldn't be immense in gameplay. It would certainly be interesting to find out for sure.

I think it would add more depth to a game, when the gameplay AND the graphics are VERY realistic and photo-realistic. Not just the gameplay.

Metal King Slime
02-22-2008, 09:26
Here's a thought...
All the people who think it LOOKS horrible just dont buy it.
Simple.
Oh and stop whining about something that hasn't even been released.
The sad thing is that there are people who base their purchases off of a game's graphics or visual style, not the actual gameplay.

-Shafty-
02-22-2008, 09:35
The sad thing is that there are people who base their purchases off of a game's graphics or visual style, not the actual gameplay.

yeah i know.
but its like having a victoria's secret model (visuals) as your girlfriend but then complaining when she wont put out! (gameplay)
im only saying graphics only make a great game not.

Raonak
02-22-2008, 09:51
Meh. GTA 4 is strayed so far from my radar. meh, i have better games to play. ill just borrow my friends copy.

Jabjabs
02-22-2008, 10:00
For a multi platform, disc streaming, open ended, first attempt, next gen title... I think they have done a very fine effort.

For how the gameplay style they really couldn't have done much better than they have without major over hauls of the engine through the experience they have gathered off this title. Put it this way it's still way above Saints row and it's sequel.

Lozt_again
02-22-2008, 10:03
It's going to be the top played game regardless for most people too.

rycexboi
02-22-2008, 10:34

Blah Blah..people always say they are not aiming for graphics but gameplay..But i know for a fact they can do better than that..The graphic could at least be alittle more vibrant and smoother..

rycexboi
02-22-2008, 10:36

Well..if you think about it..its the next gen now..people don't want to play crappy graphic games on there HDTV and there ps3/360..duh..

inToxic
02-22-2008, 11:21
Well, graphics aren't everything, but they do take an effect. I know that rockstar could've made the graphics much better, but then it would have cost allot more to make and take longer to make. Though Rockstar should have enough money to pay the best game designers and get it out on time, so I do agree it should look better.

The same rockstar that almost went into bankruptcy due to delays last year?

Sidomaximus
02-22-2008, 11:39
makeitlookreal
Quit ****ing crying... I tell you what... I bet you 100000000 million ****ing billion thrillion dollars. That if you were given a chance to build GTA4 as it is now you can not exceed the Graphics as Uncharted or Even Crysis in GTA4 you just can't. Just becuase of HOW big the game is (no idiot im not talking about the size of the Blu-Ray disc) Im talkin about all the information, all the things that are interactive with one another, within the game itself. It takes graphics and processing power to do all that. And even if they did make the graphics like Uncharted or Cyrsis. There is no way in hell the GTA4 world wont be that "ALIVE" without sacraficing "FPS" (Frames Per Second).

As you know Cyrsis whats just EYE CANDY. And too all Hardcore PC gamers they even thought it wasnt even a game, just all show and tell to bring us what next GEN "PC" games will look like in the up coming years.

And for Uncharted.. Yay sure it had its graphics, story line, top notch... But is it big as GTA4? OH hell focking no... Last time i checked after people beat uncharted, which probably only took 4-5 hours of gameplay. GTA4 will take a long time to "complete" everything in that city.

So do more homework on how to build quality games.

rycexboi
02-22-2008, 11:42
makeitlookreal
Quit ****ing crying... I tell you what... I bet you 100000000 million ****ing billion thrillion dollars. That if you were given a chance to build GTA4 as it is now you can not exceed the Graphics as Uncharted or Even Crysis in GTA4 you just can't. Just becuase of HOW big the game is (no idiot im not talking about the size of the Blu-Ray disc) Im talkin about all the information, all the things that are interactive with one another, within the game itself. It takes graphics and processing power to do all that. And even if they did make the graphics like Uncharted or Cyrsis. There is no way in hell the GTA4 world wont be that "ALIVE" without sacraficing "FPS" (Frames Per Second).

As you know Cyrsis whats just EYE CANDY. And too all Hardcore PC gamers they even thought it wasnt even a game, just all show and tell to bring us what next GEN "PC" games will look like in the up coming years.

So do more homework on how to build quality games.

I don't really think anyone here was talking about GTA4 having graphics like crysis or uncharted..they aren't even in the same category...We are saying that they could of done better with the graphics..

Sidomaximus
02-22-2008, 11:45
I don't really think anyone here was talking about GTA4 having graphics like crysis or uncharted..they aren't even in the same category...We are saying that they could of done better with the graphics..

But that OP was expecting graphics just like he wants. "MIND BLOWING" like uncharted........ If you can compare the old GTA's Hell GTA San Andreas. Compare that to GTA4 now, you can see they have up the graphics.

kaelell
02-22-2008, 13:29
Graphics arn't "looking worse"..... your perception of what is good graphics is changing the longer time goes on....

You see new games in production, due out in 6 months, 12months, 18months.. and you benchmark graphics against those....

This was a game due out 6 months ago, by standards 6 months ago... it probably looked awesome.

rycexboi
02-22-2008, 13:33
Yeah..Of course if you compare the old GTA to the new one..GTA4 is better..But does it really live up to the next gen graphics?...

kaelell
02-22-2008, 13:36

Whilst in essence I agree, but for the sake of the argument... Most people go see a movie based on the trailer do they not? If its a good trailer, they will go see it without a thought of if the content is good or not.... similary people expect games to look the quality of the content it promises, because the "graphics" are the first attracting point.

A movie with a sh*tty trailer but great plot, will still get rave reviews and eventualy people who thought the trailer was poop would go see it anyway.

GTA , even if it looks poop and puts people off buying it... the rave reviews ( if good) would get people playing it eventualy anyway..

ps3isthebestobe
02-22-2008, 13:58
i would much prefer to play a smooth version of GTA4 with a nice locked fps rather than a graphically suped version that would stutter everytime a car explodes or when your looking out over the city...for some games graphics are pretty much essential...i mean just think how **** assasins creed would have been without its visuals it was a pretty boring game but climbing those beautifully textured walls at least added to the experience...but in the case of GTA there is a F word load more stuff to do so visuals arnt neccessary, but they definanetly look fine to me

Dorfdad
02-22-2008, 14:04
most likely the original screenshots were mockups or "Enhanced" for PR.. I really think what we will see is basically Saint's Row graphics on both systems with GTA gameplay..

I can live with that..

ShawdoBoxer
02-22-2008, 14:48
lol, give Rockstar a break. This is GTA's first time in next generation gaming. The franchise has NEVER been about graphics, it's always the gameplay and story which drives it.

But in my opinion, the graphics look very good for GTA's first outing onto next gen platforms.
Even if it isn't up to par with other ps3/360 games, judging from the trailers, they have created the atmosphere brilliantly.

EDIT: d.amn my slow computer.. Neon beat me to it :mrgreen:

I aree with you. Thanks to people like you i don't have much post on here because of it,seems a lot say the things im thinking. Guess I will have to be quicker to the punch to post.

I will add that if you look at the nes and sega generation i don't remember anybody talking much about graphics, it was all about fun. The GTA series keep you so interested that you don't care about the graphics. If that was the case I could imagine how long the delays would be if they had graphics to worry about.bJust enjoy..

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 14:53
I would like to make a few points.

1) This is a huge world and I am NOT asking for Crysis level graphics. That is not possible in any PS3 game.

2) The graphics are poor. This game does NOT look like it belongs on the PS3. It looks like a HD version of a PS2 game. Everything is fuzzy, the textures are poor, the pedestrians look horrible, etc.

3) I just think that for $59.99 they should make the graphics look better. However, they don't care because they know a bunch of mindless sheep consumers won't care they are getting horrible graphics.

4) I personally think the poor graphics are a combination of the devs not caring and the game being dumbed down for the 360. PS3 owners should COMPLAIN and demand that the game be optimized for the PS3. For example, Resistance 2 will be getting about 150 megabytes worth of ADDITIONAL TEXTURES due to streaming from the HDD. This needs to be done in this game!

5) Look at this screenshot. The graphics in this game are horrible.

http://i29.tinypic.com/21jag06.jpg

Uffen
02-22-2008, 14:54
I didn't know GTA is coming to Wii :mrgreen:

Seriously I did expect better than this.

R* should've used Cryengine 2 instead.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30969.html

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 14:56
I didn't know GTA is coming to Wii :mrgreen:

Seriously I did expect better than this.

R* should've used Cryengine 2 instead.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30969.html

I agree. GTA IV looks like a Wii game.

Lymphatikz
02-22-2008, 15:07
Tell me when any GTA game has had good visual graphics ? Tbh if the 4th did have mint graphics then it just wouldnt be GTA. As long as it looks beter than the last generation of the series i dont care. Just bring on the gameplay

v-digit
02-22-2008, 15:16
Hmm I wouldn't say alot better than previous GTA games. Character models look awful, the faces/animation, just not realistic at all. And as for some of the textures well :???: I don't really care if a game is about graphics or not, next-gen is next-gen and you should be able to tell in terms of graphics.

man, every other post i read by this dude, he's f****in hating. hating on this game, hating on that game.
if you dont like PS3, GTA4, and if you're not satissfied with this generation of games, stop playing. its easy.
stop being a troll - its annoying.

RELL16
02-22-2008, 15:24
Jus Ahve 2 Wait And Find Out

pirulee
02-22-2008, 15:52
GTA IV should learn from Burnout Paradise. Burnout has a brillinat city and well detailed cars.

Really, GTAIV has a lots of jaggies, bad textures, bad shaders, bad lighting. The only goog could be the story and the gameplay, but graphics are an important thing for this generation.

crxdriver
02-22-2008, 16:02
Easy answer. It's because the PS2 version of GTA was 8GB. Now with next-gen graphics and sound and everything they must make the game on 7.2GB, because they got $50 million for that.

MikeCandler
02-22-2008, 16:09
GTA IV should learn from Burnout Paradise. Burnout has a brillinat city and well detailed cars.

Really, GTAIV has a lots of jaggies, bad textures, bad shaders, bad lighting. The only goog could be the story and the gameplay, but graphics are an important thing for this generation.

You are joking right?? You really think you can make a comparison between those two game...what because they both have cars in them?
GTAIV's scale is going to be HUGE...bigger than any other game out (well Oblivion may rival it) the amount of things you can do at anytime just blows away any else out there.

Would you rather have a game that "looks pretty" because that is "important for this generation" than a game that has killer gameplay and keeps you playing for 50++ hours?? Fact is that GTA games will never ever ever be at the top in terms of graphics, never it wont happen.

Graphics are no more or less important in this "generation" than they were in previous ones it is no different. People were saying the same things when GTA came out on the PS2...and the situation is no different.

Again if you do not like the "looks" well it is simple do not buy the game...

pirulee
02-22-2008, 16:16
You are joking right?? You really think you can make a comparison between those two game...what because they both have cars in them?
GTAIV's scale is going to be HUGE...bigger than any other game out (well Oblivion may rival it) the amount of things you can do at anytime just blows away any else out there.

Would you rather have a game that "looks pretty" because that is "important for this generation" than a game that has killer gameplay and keeps you playing for 50++ hours?? Fact is that GTA games will never ever ever be at the top in terms of graphics, never it wont happen.

Graphics are no more or less important in this "generation" than they were in previous ones it is no different. People were saying the same things when GTA came out on the PS2...and the situation is no different.

Well, GTA on PS2 looked really good, perhaps not the best graphics on last generation, but still they were very good comparing with many games.

But GTAIV is pretty dissapointing comparing its graophics with current games graphics.

BlindSight
02-22-2008, 16:31
Funny this thread is made by a guy named "makeitlookreal".

If Rockstar were to shoot anywhere near towards realistic graphics, they would be completely abandoning the GTA series style and persona. And the gameplay would be crap.

Well, GTA on PS2 looked really good, perhaps not the best graphics on last generation, but still they were very good comparing with many games.

But GTAIV is pretty dissapointing comparing its graophics with current games graphics.

Its only dissapointing if you completely ignore the scale, sheer amount of detail in the game, and the gameplay itself.

NaViTo
02-22-2008, 16:37

Are you on drugs man?!?!

Burnout Paradise is a great game: a huge scale city with a very detailed streets and buildings and every place is different, all of this plus a variety of high detailed cars on the screen. And more important: without any loading screen in the all gameplay.

I was hoping that GTA4 city looked at least like the Burnout city, but seeing the last screenshots of the game I think we will have to resign with the huge city with a PS2 textures and details.

Seriously, look at Burnout Paradise city and then at the GTA4 city, its simply awful to compare. And the important is that Burnout Paradise is only a "racing game".

Salu2

MikeCandler
02-22-2008, 16:51

GTA on PS2 was no where near the "top" level in terms of graphics...it did however have the greatest scale and shear amount of things you can do...Just like GTAIV will not be at the "top" level of graphics on the PS3...it will have the greatest scale and shear amount of things you can do.

^^^ notice the trend??

Honestly man if you are expecting this game to look like Uncharted or COD then expect the game to be equally as limiting and short...COD4 campain was what 7 hours long? Great game and killer online but short. Same with Uncharted great graphics great game but the scale is not even close to what GTA will be....note I own both Uncharted and COD...and wil be buying GTA as well.

fulgore66
02-22-2008, 16:51
Are you on drugs man?!?!

Burnout Paradise is a great game: a huge scale city with a very detailed streets and buildings and every place is different, all of this plus a variety of high detailed cars on the screen. And more important: without any loading screen in the all gameplay.

I was hoping that GTA4 city looked at least like the Burnout city, but seeing the last screenshots of the game I think we will have to resign with the huge city with a PS2 textures and details.

Seriously, look at Burnout Paradise city and then at the GTA4 city, its simply awful to compare. And the important is that Burnout Paradise is only a "racing game".

Salu2

Burnout doesn't even have any people. What animations are there? None. Everything is static. Your comparing apples to whales here. Game programming is all about compromising, and when you want to get as complicated as a GTA style game, there will be LOTS of compromising. Add on top of that the fact that they are probably limiting the assets on all systems to match DV9 for the 360 and...yeah, you get the idea.

I've been trying to tell people since the first screenshots of this game that the end product will not look as good as they were shooting for. Unless of course they make the map smaller than GTA3.

MikeCandler
02-22-2008, 16:53
Are you on drugs man?!?!

Salu2

then do not buy it...it is a simply process.

You must be smoking crack man...Burnout while yes has very details cars and environments...can you get out of the car?....umm do you even see a driver in the car while driving??? Can you go inside buildings, shoot random people as well as doing all of your driving missions?

They are not even close to the same type of game, and as your said in your last line...burnout is JUST A RACING GAME.

MikeCandler
02-22-2008, 16:55
Burnout doesn't even have any people. What animations are there? None. Everything is static. Your comparing apples to whales here. Game programming is all about compromising, and when you want to get as complicated as a GTA style game, there will be LOTS of compromising. Add on top of that the fact that they are probably limiting the assets on all systems to match DV9 for the 360 and...yeah, you get the idea.

I've been trying to tell people since the first screenshots of this game that the end product will not look as good as they were shooting for. Unless of course they make the map smaller than GTA3.

Man thank you...I was starting to think I was the only one with Logic in this place :).

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 17:14
Funny this thread is made by a guy named "makeitlookreal".

If Rockstar were to shoot anywhere near towards realistic graphics, they would be completely abandoning the GTA series style and persona. And the gameplay would be crap.

Its only dissapointing if you completely ignore the scale, sheer amount of detail in the game, and the gameplay itself.

The gameplay would NOT be bad. It can have great gameplay and great graphics!

Xazard
02-22-2008, 17:15
It doesnt look bad foo. And since it's prolly goin to come out for PC they didnt want to go all crazy with it.

To top it the graphics looks pretty nice and it was always about the story and free will rather then the looks. (ex. GTA2)

pirulee
02-22-2008, 17:29
GTA on PS2 was no where near the "top" level in terms of graphics...it did however have the greatest scale and shear amount of things you can do...Just like GTAIV will not be at the "top" level of graphics on the PS3...it will have the greatest scale and shear amount of things you can do.

^^^ notice the trend??

Honestly man if you are expecting this game to look like Uncharted or COD then expect the game to be equally as limiting and short...COD4 campain was what 7 hours long? Great game and killer online but short. Same with Uncharted great graphics great game but the scale is not even close to what GTA will be....note I own both Uncharted and COD...and wil be buying GTA as well.

Dude!, obviously GTAIV can't look like COD4 or Uncharted because the amount of objects and draw distance that has to render is bigger. (more Buildings, + cars, + traffic, + walking citizens, + everything).

The thing is, that the game could look better than what it is looking right now IMO.

I don't want to troll or anything, but in my opinion, this game looks like this beacuse the space limit in a DVD9. The PS3 and Xbox version, both needs to have all missions (excluding extra content). Everybody knows that high quality textures and sounds (specially for the PS3 and the 360) are bigger (MB size) than those from last gen. So, high quality needs more spaced media to carry all data needed to provide the user with unique high quality experince. The reality is that the 360 has the DVD9, and this limits developers to provide the game with variety of resources needed for render lots of different landspaces and to not re use resources and making everything equal (like assasins creed). Games like GTA. specially, needs different resources to make different cities, different cars, different citizens and different sounds; games like GTA needs a large amount of GB to store high quality resources needed for high quality expirence.

So yeah, for me, this game could look alot better and thats why it is dissapoiting.

Mr.Blah
02-22-2008, 17:52
Dude!, obviously GTAIV can't look like COD4 or Uncharted because the amount of objects and draw distance that has to render is bigger. (more Buildings, + cars, + traffic, + walking citizens, + everything).

The thing is, that the game could look better than what it is looking right now IMO.

I don't want to troll or anything, but in my opinion, this game looks like this beacuse the space limit in a DVD9. The PS3 and Xbox version, both needs to have all missions (excluding extra content). Everybody knows that high quality textures and sounds (specially for the PS3 and the 360) are bigger (MB size) than those from last gen. So, high quality needs more spaced media to carry all data needed to provide the user with unique high quality experince. The reality is that the 360 has the DVD9, and this limits developers to provide the game with variety of resources needed for render lots of different landspaces and to not re use resources and making everything equal (like assasins creed). Games like GTA. specially, needs different resources to make different cities, different cars, different citizens and different sounds; games like GTA needs a large amount of GB to store high quality resources needed for high quality expirence.

So yeah, for me, this game could look alot better and thats why it is dissapoiting.

If anything the PS3 version will be limited by the lackluster amount of RAM, because you can have all the HD textures you want on the disk, but the RAM dictates how much of it can be on the screen at one time.

Really, this game won't be "Next-Gen" in graphics, but it will be in physics (euphoria!:mrgreen:), veriaty (more cars, lots of interiors, and different peds), loading times (one time as it starts and no more after that), and largeness (you can rag on the looks all you want, but the draw distances look unreal).

You can call us "sheep" for wanting this game, I don't care. To me the PS3 is for games and thats what I want out of it, not just an interactive movie that looks nice.

forhaf1989
02-22-2008, 17:59
does it really matter, gta always had this kinda grafs bt if u want sumin with better grafs n maybe a bad story, then wait for GETAWAY WOOOOOOP

MikeCandler
02-22-2008, 18:00

I completely agree, and that was my point you simply can not expect this game to deliver all of those things you listed while still outputting high res textures and graphics on par with any other game it just cant happen.
You are also right in the fact that the PS3 and 360 both have limitations they will hinder what the game could be however that will always be the case with ANY game in ANY generation...you can always use a faster processer, more ram, more disk space.
Just like in the past I am sure GTA IV (next chapter) will look better and will be even bigger in terms of scale.......and maybe by chance might be PS3 timed exclusive again giving them that needed Blu-ray space ;).

pirulee
02-22-2008, 18:00
If anything the PS3 version will be limited by the lackluster amount of RAM, because you can have all the HD textures you want on the disk, but the RAM dictates how much of it can be on the screen at one time.

Don't troll. The PS3 and the 360, both have the same amount of RAM. 512 MB. The difference is that the PS3 has its ram splitted and thats why ppl says that PS3 has less memory, wich is wrong.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 18:02
Tell me when any GTA game has had good visual graphics ? Tbh if the 4th did have mint graphics then it just wouldnt be GTA. As long as it looks beter than the last generation of the series i dont care. Just bring on the gameplay

If no previous GTA game has had good graphics then this game needs to be the start! Great graphics would NOT hurt GTA. It would make it even better.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 18:03

I agree. Good graphics are VERY important this generation. There is no reason for GTA IV to look like a PS2 game.

Naxi
02-22-2008, 18:04
Imo it looks better and looks next-gen.You might not like the cartoony art-style.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 18:06

Really, this game won't be "Next-Gen" in graphics, but it will be in physics (euphoria!:mrgreen:), veriaty (more cars, lots of interiors, and different peds), loading times (one time as it starts and no more after that), and largeness (you can rag on the looks all you want, but the draw distances look unreal).

You can call us "sheep" for wanting this game, I don't care. To me the PS3 is for games and thats what I want out of it, not just an interactive movie that looks nice.

The standard HDD of the PS3 allows a game to have even more RAM. For example, Insomniac games has stated that streaming textures allows Resistance 2 to have 100 - 150 more megabytes of textures per level! Nothing totally substitutes for RAM, but in a large game streaming from the HDD is VERY important.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 18:07
Imo it looks better and looks next-gen.You might not like the cartoony art-style.

I don't like the cartoony style, but that is not what I'm talking about. Even if the game is to be cartoonish it needs to have better textures, better character models, less jaggies, etc.

pirulee
02-22-2008, 18:07
Just like in the past I am sure GTA IV (next chapter) will look better and will be even bigger in terms of scale.......and maybe by chance might be PS3 timed exclusive again giving them that needed Blu-ray space ;).

Yes. I hope so, cuz I really think GTA could look alot better on Blu.

Cooke_E_G
02-22-2008, 18:09

Seems to me like your whinning alot!

Sense when was GTA all about graphics? Was any other previous game all about graphics? Not that I can recall. Its about the great, and long, story line. Lots of **** to do on the side. The environment will be huge and the graphics dont look BAD...but there not GREAT.

Stop complaining and wait for the game.

makeitlookreal
02-22-2008, 18:12
Seems to me like your whinning alot!

Sense when was GTA all about graphics? Was any other previous game all about graphics? Not that I can recall. Its about the great, and long, story line. Lots of **** to do on the side. The environment will be huge and the graphics dont look BAD...but there not GREAT.

Stop complaining and wait for the game.

Consumers SHOULD complain! Don't you realize that if you are spending your money for something that you should get the most out of it?

The fact is I want great graphics and great gameplay. If a game does not have both I will complain.

Naxi
02-22-2008, 18:18
GTA wasn't the best looking sandbox game last gen and it probably won't be this gen.Sure it can be better if it was exclusive, like any other multi-platform game. Past GTA's would've been much better if they were xbox exclusive.Consider that SA used only 2.8 gb.

The game isn't even ready, all previews have praised the game.

Mr.Blah
02-22-2008, 18:21
Don't troll. The PS3 and the 360, both have the same amount of RAM. 512 MB. The difference is that the PS3 has its ram splitted and thats why ppl says that PS3 has less memory, wich is wrong.

Maybe I shouldn't have said just the PS3 version, but the RAM is likely the limiting factor in both consels.

And please do not call me a troll when you are the one spouting unfounded remarks about how the space on the disc will be used (remember how R* said the PS3 was a factor in the big delay?).

The standard HDD of the PS3 allows a game to have even more RAM. For example, Insomniac games has stated that streaming textures allows Resistance 2 to have 100 - 150 more megabytes of textures per level! Nothing totally substitutes for RAM, but in a large game streaming from the HDD is VERY important.

I don't know if the HDD will be used though, as MS said GTAIV couldn't use the HDD in game for the Xbox, and R* said themselves both versions will be identicle (at least before DLC is brought into the equation).

MrG
02-22-2008, 18:30
Screenshots? You're worried that you don't like the recent screenshots? It'll be an amazing game, just have faith in Rockstar. They know the pressure on them to make this game breathtaking and they won't start shipping it until it's perfect, even if that means another delay.

Akalakabaka
02-22-2008, 18:35
It's going to be fine. After taking so long to release the game, i seriously doubt Rockstar would give us a crappy product.

mobias
02-22-2008, 18:44
Easy answer. It's because the PS2 version of GTA was 8GB. Now with next-gen graphics and sound and everything they must make the game on 7.2GB, because they got $50 million for that.

San Andreas was the biggest GTA of the last gen and was 4.2GB in size. The PC version was bigger but still nowhere near 8GB.

Generally speaking so many people here are going to be eating their words when GTAIV is finally released in April and proves to be utterly ground breaking on every level. Anybody here who says Rockstar North don't care about graphics and don't care about their game seriously can't consider themselves having any insight into GTA, gaming in general and probably aren't old enough to play the GTA anyway. You're talking about a developer who's care and attention to detail towards their beloved game goes way beyond the level of any other developer. Hence GTA is conceivably the greatest game franchise in the history of gaming.

Also to all those who think graphics are the most important thing this gen - I couldn't disagree more. Game play, structure, story line, AI, physics, graphics - in that order are the most important things in my opinion. Obviously ideally you want all those elements coming together as best they possibly can but as far as I can see and from what I've read from people who have seen it and played it GTAIV has all of them in abundance.

Remember every reviewer who has thus far seen the game for real has said the whole city looks beautifully rendered. I think they're probably telling the truth don't you?

Redman_DK
02-22-2008, 18:58

Yeah if they use another year or two to make the game.... If you haven't noticed making games takes time, lot of time. It's not like they can just snap with their finger and then they got great graphics.

How ironic.

pirulee
02-22-2008, 19:44
when you are the one spouting unfounded remarks about how the space on the disc will be used (remember how R* said the PS3 was a factor in the big delay?).

The PS3 was a factor of big delay not because de space on the disc. Was a factor of delay because PS3 architecture a hard knowedge.

And I say that DVD9 is limited factor for multiplataformers this generation, witch is true. And I'm no spouting unfounded remarks about how the space on the disc will be used, I'm spouting how discs are used since PSX era, with more amount of space, you can store bigger sound/textures/movies files, and high quality files are ver big.

retsimco
02-22-2008, 19:56
Well, I've been playing the GTA series for years and I can definitely tell you that graphics were never a part of Rockstar's equation and they always manage to create a stellar game. However, we did just go out and spend $400+ on a next-gen console so I would hope that Rockstar would say "Ok, they have the PS3. Now, let's show them what we're visually capable of." I mean, I think GTAIV looks good, but like some of the members here I would have to say they could definitely use some polishing. But, please don't get me wrong. I wouldn't rate a game with phenomenal gameplay as a 5/10 just because the graphics weren't up to par. Gameplay comes first as always.

THE EYE
02-22-2008, 20:17
GTA4 looks SUPERB !!!

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=dilettante&content=video0
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=whizMobile&content=video0
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=bellicR&content=video0

h311b3nt
02-22-2008, 20:41
I am a hugre fan of the GTA franchise and it has never been about graphics and always about gameplay and storyline. I would think that anyone anticipating this game will say that the gameplay will definitely outshine any shortcomings of the graphics.

Mr.Blah
02-22-2008, 20:53
And I say that DVD9 is limited factor for multiplataformers this generation, witch is true. And I'm no spouting unfounded remarks about how the space on the disc will be used, I'm spouting how discs are used since PSX era, with more amount of space, you can store bigger sound/textures/movies files, and high quality files are ver big.

Yes but not many dev's have come out saying that it was a major hinderence right now, and Rockstar in particular hasn't said anything about needing more space for GTAIV(compresion methods in recent times have gotten quite good). I do agree that blu-ray will be needed before the gen is over, but that is a debate to be had in the future as right now it hasn't been an issue.

BlindSight
02-22-2008, 21:06

Become a developer for Rock Star games then come tell me that.

jonlps3
02-22-2008, 21:07

Ya that is awful. I don't know why all you guys keep giving R* all these excuses saying that "it's not all about graphics... blah blah... it's about gameplay". I'm sorry, we're not playing on Pentiums or PS2s any more. We're playing on PS3s. WE ARE NOW IN NEXT-GEN FOLKS!!! The 360 has really killed this game because of its **** limitations!!! This game could have been sooooo much better if it was a PS3 exclusive!!

And the reason that the game isn't up to your standards is probably limited by the RAM (like last gen?), have you seen how many textures this game has to 'remember' all at once? It's nothing like Uncharted in the (relatively) small jungle coridors, it's a whole frigin city! (with enterable buildings)

No dude. You don't load ALL the textures in all at once. That would be stupid. You load textures in when you get close to an area or are in that area. This game could be the same as Uncharted (if it weren't on the 360) but with added AI for more people and cars.

Doc Evils
02-22-2008, 21:18
Seriously, go look at Saints Row 2 and other sandbox games, they look terrible. I think the newer screens shots look much better.

DeanoIV
02-22-2008, 21:25
I think that screenshot looks great. Good lighting, good textures, good details. What are you expected? Crysis?

like I said, these graphics surpasses most games already out and better then some games still yet to come out.

Seriously you have gotta be kidding me? I mean okay you thik the game looks fine, but that's going a bit far. The cars in that screen?? Says it all I think..

hootyhoo88
02-22-2008, 21:56
i think graphics are 1/8 of the game and gameplay is 7/8 andhas anyone downloaded the gta hd previews on the ps3?? i think this game looks stunning.

jonlps3
02-22-2008, 22:46
i think graphics are 1/8 of the game and gameplay is 7/8 andhas anyone downloaded the gta hd previews on the ps3?? i think this game looks stunning.

And what about FFXIII? How can they have this amazing of graphics and still have a huge game?

Pipes75
02-22-2008, 22:54
GTA is finally online! The gameplay is much more important then the graphix, and I don't think the graphix look that bad. I can't wait till gta IV is out!

Mr.Blah
02-22-2008, 23:09
Ya that is awful. I don't know why all you guys keep giving R* all these excuses saying that "it's not all about graphics... blah blah... it's about gameplay". I'm sorry, we're not playing on Pentiums or PS2s any more. We're playing on PS3s. WE ARE NOW IN NEXT-GEN FOLKS!!! The 360 has really killed this game because of its **** limitations!!! This game could have been sooooo much better if it was a PS3 exclusive!!

No dude. You don't load ALL the textures in all at once. That would be stupid. You load textures in when you get close to an area or are in that area. This game could be the same as Uncharted (if it weren't on the 360) but with added AI for more people and cars.

Maybe I worded that wrong, I didn't mean to say the whole city would be in memory, but it still has to remember a lot more different models/textures compared to most games (the peds, the cars, interiors, etc.). Other games sometimes don't have as many different models in the whole game as GTAIV might have in one screen (OK maybe thats a tad exagerated). Hopefully by the next GTA they can get Uncharted-like visuals, but for right now nobody has enough experience with the PS3 to do that in this scale of game.

About your X360 comment, while I agree that if R* had picked one console (whether X360 or PS3) the game would be a lot more polished because they could dedicate more resources, but hardware wise R* seems to be treating the two competators as about equal. Remember that they are not simple porting this game from one console to another, they are actually developing it for both seperatly, but ending up with something similar.
And funny you should say the X360 is holding it back, as R* might have been able to release this game faster if not for the PS3 (I am NOT taking a shot at the PS3 here, it's just that the initial complications with developing games for it take longer than the X360's "vanilla" design).

DeAdLy_cOoKiE
02-22-2008, 23:30
Next generation of consoles will be drastically better (2010?), close to what games should look like in terms of large scale rendering, detail and physics. Nvidia aquiring Ageia is a good thing, as are 3D cards reaching terraflops.

I'm impressed by GTA:IV graphics. They look good considering the amount of stuff the engine has to deal with, on this generation of hardware. People seem to forget that games doing outdoor scenes are exponentionally more demanding than corridor action. Realism comes after gameplay.GTA:IV is about gameplay, and they will deliver (although I want the next game to take place in the future (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=120&t=313157&st=180#entry1057538172)). I only think that the game will be partial New York (it has many more buildings on real pictures), but hey..

Metal King Slime
02-23-2008, 00:40
Seriously, someone close this thread. It's pointless. The OP and a small majority of other people are whining about the graphics for a game that they haven't even experienced or layed their hands on. Why should we be debating about a couple screenshots that one or more people think looks ugly, all the while comparing it to screenshots of other games that are completely different (like one user who provided the FFXIII screenshot asking why Square Enix was able to pull of great graphics). Seriously, stop whining about the graphics. No one likes a person nit-picking at every small thing, take for example a screenshot for a videogame, because in the end no one cares when you finally get your hands on the game.

This is pointless. The game was never about graphics. End of discussion.

makeitlookreal
02-23-2008, 06:33
Blacksite,

This thread is not going to be closed.

I'm not whining about anything. I'm making a VERY IMPORTANT POINT. This game has awful graphics. They need to be better. The developers could make it better, but they refuse to do so.

Some of us want great graphics and gameplay. We have every right to complain if a game does not have both.

We are being GOOD CONSUMERS.

Uffen
02-23-2008, 06:46
Screenshots say a million words like pictures, and for me it says CRAP x million. It may look better in motion but based on trailers... nope.

So why is GTA looking worse? The question thread starter asked.

I don't know, if the excuse is only gameplay matters, they should've used stickmen graphics so it would've been out already.

Was the engine built up from scratch or did they use a modified old one? Could it be the euphoria engine that takes up to much power?

Well we'll see when it's released if it's worth a buy or rental. Or o trip to the trash bin. We'll see.

Mr.Blah
02-23-2008, 06:57
Blacksite,

I'm not whining about anything. I'm making a VERY IMPORTANT POINT. This game has awful graphics. They need to be better. The developers could make it better, but they refuse to do so.

Some of us want great graphics and gameplay. We have every right to complain if a game does not have both.

We ALL want good gameplay and graphics, it's just that some of us realise that in the real world we can't just wish something into existance when it is just not possible.
This game has decent looks, they are not great but they aren't all that bad either. I don't know how you can say they are awful.

And to say that ANY dev would REFUSE to make their game better in any possible way is just ignorant.

Also; the edit button is there for a reason.

Well we'll see when it's released if it's worth a buy or rental. Or o trip to the trash bin. We'll see.
Well judgeing by the previews, the only person throwing this game out will be Jack Thompson :p

The_One
02-23-2008, 10:39

And what about FFXIII? How can they have this amazing of graphics and still have a huge game?You do realize that the picture you attached is from a pre-rendered Cutscene, right :snicker?

mistercrow
02-23-2008, 10:53
The latest issue of Game Informer did another preview on GTA. Rockstar brought them a copy of only the 360 version to the Game Informer office. Why will they not show anybody the ps3 version? What is it that they dont want us to see? And looking at those crappy looking screens that are most likely 360 shots makes me wonder how mediocre will the ps3 version look? Why are they hiding the ps3 version? And before people start jumping down my throat I'm not saying ps3 version (or any version) WILL be bad or that GTA stinks since none of us have played it. I'm only putting forth what I think is a legitimate question and concern. Nothing more.

Graham
02-23-2008, 11:36
^ Look at the trailers if you want to see the game in motion...
Anyone expecting a game of this scope to have incredible visuals is being unrealistic or never played a GTA title.

I have confidence the game will be great considering all of the positive comments by game analyst who have played early builds of the game.
The trouble is, people are spoiled these days. They should go and get a Wii with a copy of Mario Galaxy to find out what really makes a great game, and it sure aint' just pretty graphics.

mobias
02-23-2008, 11:36
The latest issue of Game Informer did another preview on GTA. Rockstar brought them a copy of only the 360 version to the Game Informer office. Why will they not show anybody the ps3 version? What is it that they dont want us to see? And looking at those crappy looking screens that are most likely 360 shots makes me wonder how mediocre will the ps3 version look? Why are they hiding the ps3 version? And before people start jumping down my throat I'm not saying ps3 version (or any version) WILL be bad or that GTA stinks since none of us have played it. I'm only putting forth what I think is a legitimate question and concern. Nothing more.

But they're not hiding the PS3 version. Believe it or not there other games magazines out there other than Game Informer. PSM magazine has seen and played a final build of GTAIV on a PS3 and said it was stunning to look at and ran super smooth.

mistercrow
02-23-2008, 11:40
But they're not hiding the PS3 version. Believe it or not there other games magazines out there other than Game Informer. PSM magazine has seen and played a final build of GTAIV on a PS3 and said it was stunning to look at and ran super smooth.

Then I stand corrected. Thanks for that info.

Daz
02-23-2008, 11:59
Maybe I worded that wrong, I didn't mean to say the whole city would be in memory, but it still has to remember a lot more different models/textures compared to most games (the peds, the cars, interiors, etc.). Other games sometimes don't have as many different models in the whole game as GTAIV might have in one screen (OK maybe thats a tad exagerated). Hopefully by the next GTA they can get Uncharted-like visuals, but for right now nobody has enough experience with the PS3 to do that in this scale of game.

About your X360 comment, while I agree that if R* had picked one console (whether X360 or PS3) the game would be a lot more polished because they could dedicate more resources, but hardware wise R* seems to be treating the two competators as about equal. Remember that they are not simple porting this game from one console to another, they are actually developing it for both seperatly, but ending up with something similar.
And funny you should say the X360 is holding it back, as R* might have been able to release this game faster if not for the PS3 (I am NOT taking a shot at the PS3 here, it's just that the initial complications with developing games for it take longer than the X360's "vanilla" design).

Here is my problem with that. Whatever they cant accomplish on one, they will leave out of the other. So it's the same game on both. This will end up affecting the game as a whole. They have already stated no HDD was an issue for the 360. They have also stated space was an issue on a DVD9. So those may end up making the game smaller or less detailed. They may be better at coding for the 360 than the PS3, but since they want an equal game, they may have to tone things down if they cant get them to work on the PS3 version. Either way, IMO cross platform sucks. If they devote everyone to one version it will be better.

Strudel
02-23-2008, 12:04
I couldn't give a rats ass about graphics when it comes to GTA, you buy GTA because its fun, not because of graphics.

Nuvian
02-23-2008, 12:10
GTA graphics have never been impressive in my opinion,there is alot happening on screen,so they cant really have very high quality graphics.

graphics was never a crucial element of the series,so why would they start now?:-D

Redman_DK
02-23-2008, 18:03
Blacksite,

Yeah Rockstar REFUSES to make good graphic, they don't want there games to have good graphics. That really makes a lot of sense.. The graphics doesn't NEED to be better, why would it need that, can't you play it as it looks like now?

But yeah they could make it better, but haven't you heard about limits? Rockstar got not only a hardware limit, they also got a time limit, and a money limit too, money doesn't grow on trees, atleast not the last time I checked.

And lol at all of those thinking that graphics is the only thing "next-gen"

retsimco
02-23-2008, 18:38

Them not showing the PS3 version actually has nothing to do with the PS3 at all. The main platform that was showed first was the 360 so they have to follow the trends in order to not lose a fan base. You can't just show all 360 screenies and all of a sudden just start showing PS3 screens and vice versa. Plus, even though the two versions are supposed to be identical, what if the PS3 version looks and plays better? A lot of the fans in heavy anticipation of the 360 version would would be very disappointed and many may very well buy the PS3 version.

FiftyCalTrajan
02-23-2008, 19:32
Blacksite,

Keep patting yourself on the back, bub. Most of us will be enjoying this game while you are still waiting for the 'perfect' game.

And anyone who compares FFXIII cutscenes to an actual breathing city in GTAIV is nuts.

mobias
02-23-2008, 19:47
I still can't believe people don't think this game looks visually stunning.

Define your impression of it by what it actually looks like for real and not by a few badly grabbed screen shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkusSsks954

TheStory
02-23-2008, 20:29
Whoever says this game is looking bad is nuts. This game will blow you away visually and with gameplay.

eli1277
02-23-2008, 20:44
GTA games have never been that impressive with their visuals. Hell the games aren't all that good either, this one looks alright though.

Galvanise_
02-23-2008, 20:57

You have to be kidding. The screenshot in question looks poor. GTA IV graphics look like 'The Getaway' graphics. The level of deatil isn't even 1/4 of the detail in Heavenly Sword. Whatever people are smoking when they call these graphics 'good graphics', I want some so I can get high and not care about the visual massacre going on before my eyes.

GTA has never been about the graphics, but on a system as good as the PS3, and being 'Next Gen' the jump up has not been that great. I actually reconsidered buying this game, but ultimately will until some of the actual 'hardware pushing' games come out for our beloved console.

RedDragon7
02-23-2008, 21:01
At this point I think we need to let this thread die and wait for the final release. So far I'm not impressed but I hope release day changes my mind. I'll wait till then to discuss further judgment.

Nuvian
02-23-2008, 21:39

And what about FFXIII? How can they have this amazing of graphics and still have a huge game?

there is a dif betwen huge game and huge game with 20-100 chars on screen on the streets with cars and other stuff in motion.

Galvanise_
02-23-2008, 21:49
there is a dif betwen huge game and huge game with 20-100 chars on screen on the streets with cars and other stuff in motion.

The new Getaway game has awesome graphics and they showed a technical demo with hundreds of people in the streets all in motion, with awesome graphics.
So far Getaway > GTA IV.
Regardless I'm getting both, I just hope the GTA humor isn't going to get stale, else it might be my last one.

mobias
02-23-2008, 22:02
Y
I actually reconsidered buying this game, but ultimately will until some of the actual 'hardware pushing' games come out for our beloved console.

What and you think a massively rendered city with incredible attention to detail, groundbreaking AI and the Euphoria engine not to mention everything else included in the game like destructable environments, vehicles etc etc isn't 'hardware pushing?

So what is?

HellsJester
02-23-2008, 22:13
Game looks fine i dont care about the graphics.
I care about the stuff they took away from the last game.
One of my favorite things to do was being chased by cops in the wilderness but no wilderness in GTA4.
Also no flamethrower or planes.
No fantasy stuff like jetpack.
R* - "I know! Lets make a GTA game but take all the fun things out and instead of adding more features we take some away."

mistercrow
02-23-2008, 22:15
I still can't believe people don't think this game looks visually stunning.

Define your impression of it by what it actually looks like for real and not by a few badly grabbed screen shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkusSsks954

Wow after seeing that footage I take back everything bad I said about the graphics. Thanks for posting that link.

Danny2304
02-23-2008, 22:16
How can you say it looks worse and worse its on the PS3 and it has always been made to look "cartoony" so don't judge a book buy its cover rent it first and see if you like it then, Then you can criticize :)

Galvanise_
02-23-2008, 22:19
What and you think a massively rendered city with incredible attention to detail, groundbreaking AI and the Euphoria engine not to mention everything else included in the game like destructable environments, vehicles etc etc isn't 'hardware pushing?

So what is?

Metal Gear IV, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

So far the attention to detail doesn't look too fantastic in GTA IV. The screenshots look a tad hazy. If the game fits on a Xbox 360 disc, then no, its not going to push the PS3 hardware hard enough.

Tekkenfanaat
02-23-2008, 22:38
Apparently the creator of this topic would like a GTA IV that looks like Crysis and runs at a stunning 4-5 FPS. :suspect:

mobias
02-23-2008, 23:16
Metal Gear IV, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

So far the attention to detail doesn't look too fantastic in GTA IV. The screenshots look a tad hazy. If the game fits on a Xbox 360 disc, then no, its not going to push the PS3 hardware hard enough.

What on earth are you talking about? The game fits on a dual layer DVD9 so therefore its not pushing the PS3's hardware???? Err yeah that makes sense. A game could fit on a standard DVD and still push the systems hardware. Its things like AI and physics that will really test the PS3's hardware, not uncompressed graphics and sound files - which is what are filling up most to the Blu-Ray only PS3 titles out there.

Every reviewer who has thus far seen the game has said the attention to detail is mind blowing - thats what R*North have concentrated on more than anything this time around. So many people here are going to eat their words come April 29th

Mr.Blah
02-23-2008, 23:30
Here is my problem with that. Whatever they cant accomplish on one, they will leave out of the other. So it's the same game on both. This will end up affecting the game as a whole. They have already stated no HDD was an issue for the 360. They have also stated space was an issue on a DVD9. So those may end up making the game smaller or less detailed. They may be better at coding for the 360 than the PS3, but since they want an equal game, they may have to tone things down if they cant get them to work on the PS3 version. Either way, IMO cross platform sucks. If they devote everyone to one version it will be better.

Yes, that I agree that having to focus on multiple consoles can hurt the final result of both. But unfortunatly with a game like GTA you are forced to do this to keep your fans and to apease your business partners (Sony and MS)(and moreso when one company is giving you more money than most studios would spend on developing two or three games).

But I still think we'll all be pleasently suprised with just about everything other than the graphics in this game.

Samurai Sushi
02-23-2008, 23:43
I just finished Assassin's Creed so when I look at GTA IV screenshots or videos I'm not impressed. It doesn't have next gen graphics. The gameplay is going to have to be top notch to make up for the ugliness. Now with that being said I would bet the house that the gameplay is going to be amazing. ;) I need to get this pre ordered. :lol:

chumdiddy
02-23-2008, 23:46
Ok, first off, GTA has never been a game to push the graphical bar. Period. Get used to it. This game will not look like Uncharted or COD4.

I agree that the textures are bland and that the game suffers from jaggies worse than almost any game I have ever seen.

The cars do look like something out of a PS2 game!

YET......

1. The world is absolutely HUGE! Therefore, texturing to a level that was in Uncharted or such would push this game's release date back to April 2012.

2. The jaggies may be cleaned up but even if they arent, it wont ruin the game.

3. The cars may look like a PS2 game render but those PS2 game render cars were totally intangible. Meaning, you could shoot it, hit it, jump on it or try to get in it and nothing would happen 99% of the time.
In GTA4, those cars are FULLY tangible! You can shoot it in the window and it busts....after realistically placed holes cause it to fail! You can shoot it in the engine and it will fail based on where it was shot! Drop a guy off a building onto a car and it busts the roof into the drivers seat.

These cars are now fully interactive.

Again, its going to be like past GTA games in regard to graphics. The system its playing on is going to be capable of better looking games yet it wont fully utilize it. It will push a great story and the gameplay will be amazing.

voom99
02-23-2008, 23:57

Well San Andreas on PC (1920x1200 resolution etc) looked MILES BETTER than Saints Row on 360, and GTA IV doesn't even look as good as Saints Row from what I've seen.

At worst, it should look as good as Burnout Paradise on PS3 - that's the MINIMUM level I expect for a next gen game. But those screens look like they're from a PS2. Utter trash. It's about time they DID show a bit of pride in the graphics department. Do they have no self-respect?

Galvanise_
02-24-2008, 00:03
It's about time they DID show a bit of pride in the graphics department. Do they have no self-respect?

I wholeheartedly agree. To be honest, I am a GTA fan, but I wouldn't mind waiting another year for the graphics to be spruced up further. We have plenty of games to be getting on with in the meantime. Graphics never used to bother me too much, but after playing games with consistently good graphics and detailed faces, places etc, when I look at GTA IV it looks like I'll be buying a GTA game with PS2 getaway graphics. Physics engines are all great and all, but if the people and things they smack into look like ****, its not going to look too realistic overall.

Thats what you get for getting a Scotland located company doing important things! ;) They are too busy running around the Highlands, throwing logs at things and growing their beards to make graphical improvements! :mrgreen:;)

EVILPS3
02-24-2008, 01:27
Well San Andreas on PC (1920x1200 resolution etc) looked MILES BETTER than Saints Row on 360, and GTA IV doesn't even look as good as Saints Row from what I've seen.

At worst, it should look as good as Burnout Paradise on PS3 - that's the MINIMUM level I expect for a next gen game. But those screens look like they're from a PS2. Utter trash. It's about time they DID show a bit of pride in the graphics department. Do they have no self-respect?
Thats a ridicoulous comment burnout doesnt have interactive people walking down the street, the ability to enter buildings,shooting and everything else the PS3 is not magic either are the developers and you are basing your opinions on screen shots from an unfinished game please wait until final release till you slate the graphics.

Remtule
02-24-2008, 01:55
i dunno why you are all complaining so much, graphics arent that bad, not to mention that regardless, gameplay is what's required over graphics. Assassin's creed perfect example, nwo that is a gorgeus sandbox game, but if you tried to add in what gta has, the graphics will drop somewhat feircely.

Gogeta
02-24-2008, 02:02
Thats a ridicoulous comment burnout doesnt have interactive people walking down the street, the ability to enter buildings,shooting and everything else the PS3 is not magic either are the developers and you are basing your opinions on screen shots from an unfinished game please wait until final release till you slate the graphics.

We all know that GTA isn't know for graphics, it has it's highs and lows like every game, obviously comparing it to burnout dosent change anytihng, there runnig on two different engines, but i still thought, this was next gen gaming.

They're running on two completely different engines, GTA has nothing to prove in graphics really, cause we all kow it's gonna turn out like this, it's GTA, remember.

Ok, first off, GTA has never been a game to push the graphical bar. Period. Get used to it. This game will not look like Uncharted or COD4.

I agree that the textures are bland and that the game suffers from jaggies worse than almost any game I have ever seen.

The cars do look like something out of a PS2 game!

YET......

1. The world is absolutely HUGE! Therefore, texturing to a level that was in Uncharted or such would push this game's release date back to April 2012.

2. The jaggies may be cleaned up but even if they arent, it wont ruin the game.

3. The cars may look like a PS2 game render but those PS2 game render cars were totally intangible. Meaning, you could shoot it, hit it, jump on it or try to get in it and nothing would happen 99% of the time.
In GTA4, those cars are FULLY tangible! You can shoot it in the window and it busts....after realistically placed holes cause it to fail! You can shoot it in the engine and it will fail based on where it was shot! Drop a guy off a building onto a car and it busts the roof into the drivers seat.

These cars are now fully interactive.

Again, its going to be like past GTA games in regard to graphics. The system its playing on is going to be capable of better looking games yet it wont fully utilize it. It will push a great story and the gameplay will be amazing.

This i have to agree on, your on point, you've state how they've improved the game from PS2-3 +rep, good comparions.

voom99
02-24-2008, 02:25
Great... another consumer prepared to accept the lowest common denominator. If I had my way, GTA would be Crysis. But I'm prepared to accept Burnout Paradise-level graphics.. now that's quite a comedown for a graphic whore like myself.

After having thought about it, the GTA games always look better on PC. Vice City for example, looked quite respectable, as did San Andreas (looked an eyesore on PS2). So I'll tell ya what, EVILPS3, I'll do better... rather than wait til final release to slate the graphics, I'll wait til the PC version comes out (probably a year later). Then I'll truly know if the game really looks like garbage or not. With these console versions, we always get shortchanged graphicswise.

TrueGameZ
02-24-2008, 02:44
I kinda agree with those that are disappointed with the Graphics. I mean come on, Assassin Creed has beautiful graphics, and it has 3 large city's with tuns of people walking around you could interact with. You could even climb every single building to the top, and jump from roof to roof. The game is just gorgeous. Its just a shame it didn't live up to the graphics, gameplay wise.

Yes, we all know that GTA wasn't never hailed as a graphics power house, but come on this is like what the 7th in the series, and how much hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars later? Take a fraction of that money made and invest it into a beautiful full fledge game to give to your fans. I am sure the graphics, won't be the worse thing in the end, but from the screens I've been seeing I have been thoroughly underwhelm with its visuals. Especially the Characters and Cars.

I guess my hope for a spectacular GTA like game with brilliant graphics will have to be Getaway. From the Tech Demo shown a couple months ago, I had hoped that GTA would look similar, instead its turning out to be the same game assets as previous versions just slapped in HD. Boo.

With that said, I will still pick this game up for sole purpose that the gameplay is very full of win. I am currently playing Vice City Stories on my PSP, and I am having a blast with it. But I just thought that with this gen an all we would see something eye popping with the same gameplay. I guess not. Well like I said, heres hoping that Getaway will pull through.

Xsjado
02-24-2008, 02:51
Its because of the 360. Originally when it was still an PS exclusive the map was going to be huge and the graphics alot better but when microsoft bought the rights to it they had to cut it down so it would fit on a DVD, hence why its now being released in April and not October last year.

Gogeta
02-24-2008, 02:57
Its because of the 360. Originally when it was still an PS exclusive the map was going to be huge and the graphics alot better but when microsoft bought the rights to it they had to cut it down so it would fit on a DVD, hence why its now being released in April and not October last year.

Not hard to work that one out, 360 is what fail all our multiplats, just imagine COD exclusive or GTAIV exclusive, it would've been better if insomniac and naughty dog would do this game. Oops i forgot, INsomniac are doing Resistance 2 and Naughty dog are doing Jak 5.

Barca
02-24-2008, 03:07
man stop complaining about GTA...
If you dont like the grafics dont freaking buy it..
its as simple as that..

EVILPS3
02-24-2008, 03:25
Great... another consumer prepared to accept the lowest common denominator. If I had my way, GTA would be Crysis. But I'm prepared to accept Burnout Paradise-level graphics.. now that's quite a comedown for a graphic whore like myself.

After having thought about it, the GTA games always look better on PC. Vice City for example, looked quite respectable, as did San Andreas (looked an eyesore on PS2). So I'll tell ya what, EVILPS3, I'll do better... rather than wait til final release to slate the graphics, I'll wait til the PC version comes out (probably a year later). Then I'll truly know if the game really looks like garbage or not. With these console versions, we always get shortchanged graphicswise.
That latter comment about the PC version is fair but if you are such a graphics whore why do you own a PS3 why not just a top of the range pc your expectations are ridiculous for the relatively average power of the PS3 compared to top end high performance PC's. Whatever happens ever PC versions of any game will or can look and perform better than console versions.

BlindSight
02-24-2008, 03:28
The only people complaining about the graphics are those who are completely IGNORANT of the development process, and what it takes to create a game like GTA.

I mean comparing Burnout and GTA alone shows you haven't got a clue. I'm certainly glad Rockstar doesn't listen to graphics whores.

I kinda agree with those that are disappointed with the Graphics. I mean come on, Assassin Creed has beautiful graphics, and it has 3 large city's with tuns of people walking around you could interact with. You could even climb every single building to the top, and jump from roof to roof. The game is just gorgeous. Its just a shame it didn't live up to the graphics, gameplay wise.

Assassins Creed also has incredibly repetitive scenery, textures are reused like crazy. And the game play doesn't have much depth. Sure it looks pretty, but the world as a whole is just shallow, cuz Ubisoft couldn't pay attention to all of the important details like RockStar is. Not that I still don't like Assassins Creed for its own merits.

I guarantee you once GTAIV comes out and you play the two games one right after another, the difference will be clear, and you will by far prefer GTAIV. Sure Assassins Creed is more satisfying when you look at little screen shots, but when playing the games GTA will have much more depth and an overall more immersive feeling. More interactivity, more things you can do, far better AI, more gameplay mechanics to focus on, more dialogue to script - I can go on and on.

EVILPS3
02-24-2008, 03:31
The only people complaining about the graphics are those who are completely IGNORANT of the development process, and what it takes to create a game like GTA.

I mean comparing Burnout and GTA alone shows you haven't got a clue.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

voom99
02-24-2008, 03:55
Whoa no need to get bitchy! PS3 has games like Burnout, Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet and Clank, heaps of games that PC doesn't have. I have a Wii and also used to have a 360. I like video games. I also like games to look the best they can possibly be.. regardless of the platform. What's so wrong about that? Also, for members of a PS3 forum you guys are slightly pessimistic of the potential capabilities of the PS3. When Killzone 2 arrives, you'll soon see the "relatively average power of the PS3" put to effective use. GTA4 couldn't effectively manage anything better than PS2 level graphics! That is pathetic. Excuse me for having an opinion different from yours. No need to get all uptight.

BlindSight
02-24-2008, 04:03
Whoa no need to get bitchy! PS3 has games like Burnout, Gran Turismo 5, Ratchet and Clank, heaps of games that PC doesn't have. I have a Wii and also used to have a 360. I like video games. I also like games to look the best they can possibly be.. regardless of the platform. What's so wrong about that? Also, for members of a PS3 forum you guys are slightly pessimistic of the potential capabilities of the PS3. When Killzone 2 arrives, you'll soon see the "relatively average power of the PS3" put to effective use. GTA4 couldn't effectively manage anything better than PS2 level graphics! That is pathetic. Excuse me for having an opinion different from yours. No need to get all uptight.

Sure you can have an opinion.

But in my opinion people like you are just ignorant ungrateful graphics snobs with no comprehension of the development process. You don't grasp what R* is trying to do with the GTAIV world, you don't seem to even care about the GTA series in the first place. So why bother trolling?

I don't want a pretty picture coupled with a lifeless world and rehashed game play. You do, or at least somehow expect R* to accomplish everything else the game is doing, while attaining sharp graphics. Which is not realistic.

PS2 graphics? Noob I say. GTAIV could not run on a PS2, and you need to actually play the game to understand why.

voom99
02-24-2008, 04:13
Ok, now you are calling me a "troll", I say "now who's trolling who"? Seems like YOU'RE the one trying to push the buttons here. I wrote my post SUPPORTING the OP. That my friend, is NOT trolling.

And where did you get the idea that I didn't even care about the GTA series? If you read my initial post you'll see I had both Vice City and San Andreas - albeit on PC. I also had GTA3.

Calling me names like a "snob" and "ignorant" means YOU'RE the troll.

Also, you may well realise that humans, being complicated creatures, are not all 'one way inclined'. By my own admission, I called MYSELF a graphic whore, but in reality I'm not a true graphic whore... heck I'm playing Crysis on low with my 3 year old 6800GT for goodness' sake. My favourite PS3 game at the moment is GripShift! My favourite game of all time is DOOM! The original Doom, not the stupid Doom 3 remake with the fancy schmancy graphics that added nothing to the immersion experience! So you may need to rethink your psychoanalysis of me, and quit the name calling too.

BlindSight
02-24-2008, 04:28
Ok, now you are calling me a "troll", I say "now who's trolling who"? Seems like YOU'RE the one trying to push the buttons here. I wrote my post SUPPORTING the OP. That my friend, is NOT trolling.

And where did you get the idea that I didn't even care about the GTA series? If you read my initial post you'll see I had both Vice City and San Andreas - albeit on PC. I also had GTA3.

Calling me names like a "snob" and "ignorant" means YOU'RE the troll.

Also, you may well realise that humans, being complicated creatures, are not all 'one way inclined'. By my own admission, I called MYSELF a graphic whore, but in reality I'm not a true graphic whore... heck I'm playing Crysis on low with my 3 year old 6800GT for goodness' sake. My favourite PS3 game at the moment is GripShift! My favourite game of all time is DOOM! The original Doom, not the stupid Doom 3 remake with the fancy schmancy graphics that added nothing to the immersion experience! So you may need to rethink your psychoanalysis of me, and quit the name calling too.

I'm not trying to psychoanalyze you, I'm just looking at your statements - as well as other peoples statements.

Your saying (or at least others are saying) you want GTAIV to look like Crysis or at least Burnout, while seemingly still expecting Rockstar to maintain all of the other important details that make up the game. This is unrealistic, and shows you don't know much about the development process - the stretch and balance of resources - and the goal R* is looking to accomplish with the game.

I don't follow this forum much anymore... But there was a time here when mocking a next-gen game based on graphics alone - labeling them "PS2 graphics" could have been considered trolling.

I have nothing against you, I'm just in general speaking to all those who have bashed the game's graphics in this thread. Well I guess I shouldn't have quoted you then sorry. :lol: Please don't mistake my attitude as being frustrated, I'm just typing while watching a movie.

voom99
02-24-2008, 05:05
Well to be frank, I don't have a lot of faith in Rockstar's developmental resources as you do; San Andreas only barely ran on the PS2. I was shocked when my friend bought it on PS2, enduring framerates around 15-20fps, poor draw distances.. it's really hard to "enjoy" a game and get the most out of it when it isn't the best it can be. The whole point I was trying to bring across is that I want GTA IV to be the best it can be, all I'm seeing are the same danger signs I saw with San Andreas.

Rockstar got it right with the table tennis game on the 360 (the Wii port however was badly misfired - not making full and proper use of the motion controls). Yes, I am a typical consumer.. I am (like most people) ignorant of all the work going on to create a great game. I suspect that that the biggest thing hampering the whole developmental process is the compromises made for multiplatforms. Limiting themselves to DVD when they should've gone blu ray exclusive (also the lack of compulsory hard drive in the 360 would hamper things - I'm sure this has all been covered before on these forums). I believe the game would've looked a LOT better if it was made for PS3 and PC only. I don't realistically want it to look like Crysis, but Burnout is not too much to ask. I don't consider it too ungrateful to ask for a little bit of pride and sheen, especially as many of us PS3 owners have invested in top of the line 1080p television sets.

XSpike_SpiegelC
02-24-2008, 05:26
So people are saying this... http://blog.canoe.ca/mediam/GTAIVNiko.jpg AND this... http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/JamesL007/Grand%20Theft%20Auto%20IV%20Scans/GTAIV004.jpg

doesnt look ANY BETTER AT ALL...then this...http://xboxmedia.gamespy.com/xbox/image/article/623/623686/grand-theft-auto-san-andreas-20050608060903745.jpg

AND this... http://www.absolute-playstation.com/gp2a/grand_theft_auto_san_andreas_hr_1.jpg

ok...so maybe the graphics are not THE BEST OMGG IN THE WHOLE EFFING WORLD!!!1!11!1111

but do NOT say they are barely any better than PS2...... casue compare those...and they are WORLDS different, as they should be.... and COME ONE the game is NOT even OUT yet......

retsimco
02-24-2008, 05:54
Bah, what's the big deal? You guys act like stellar graphics are the key to GTAIV's success. C'mon... just about all of us have played every GTA game in the world and probably not one of us has ever complained about the graphics... until now. Since when has Rockstar not delivered to us an amazingly deep and satisfying game? I don't think the fact that the graphics not looking like KZ2 is going to stop us from running through the streets screaming "GRAND THEFT AUTO 4 IS THE BEST ****ING GAME IVE EVER PLAYED!!!!!" or at least saying "THIS GAME IS ****ING AWESOME!!!"

Metal King Slime
02-24-2008, 06:19
You need to understand the development process that goes into a videogame before you start degrading a development studio's videogame, based on its graphics. Seriously, why are top-notch photo-realistic graphics so freaking vital to a videogame that is part of a franchise that succeeded in gameplay? You haven't played this game, so you can't say that this game will probably fail because of its graphics. Or how it doesn't look as good as other games like when someone compared it to Final Fantasy XIII, which I might remind to everyone is being helmed by a completely different development studio and videogame engine. Why is GTA IV looking worse and worse instead of better and better, you ask? Simple answer to a simple question - it's not!

Mr.Blah
02-24-2008, 07:03
Well to be frank, I don't have a lot of faith in Rockstar's developmental resources as you do; San Andreas only barely ran on the PS2. I was shocked when my friend bought it on PS2, enduring framerates around 15-20fps, poor draw distances.. it's really hard to "enjoy" a game and get the most out of it when it isn't the best it can be. The whole point I was trying to bring across is that I want GTA IV to be the best it can be, all I'm seeing are the same danger signs I saw with San Andreas.

Rockstar got it right with the table tennis game on the 360 (the Wii port however was badly misfired - not making full and proper use of the motion controls). Yes, I am a typical consumer.. I am (like most people) ignorant of all the work going on to create a great game. I suspect that that the biggest thing hampering the whole developmental process is the compromises made for multiplatforms. Limiting themselves to DVD when they should've gone blu ray exclusive (also the lack of compulsory hard drive in the 360 would hamper things - I'm sure this has all been covered before on these forums). I believe the game would've looked a LOT better if it was made for PS3 and PC only. I don't realistically want it to look like Crysis, but Burnout is not too much to ask. I don't consider it too ungrateful to ask for a little bit of pride and sheen, especially as many of us PS3 owners have invested in top of the line 1080p television sets.

Well the PS2 didn't really give R* much to work with (of course, I haven't had much of a problem with it besides draw distances, haven't experienced much lag in fps). And if you tried to run SA on a computer with the specs that the PS2 has, you wouldn't even be able to load up the first screen.

Yes multiplat may be limiting them, but you could also say that if they weren't developing it for the PS3 then it would be better because they could spend more resources on the X360 version. The truth is that the PS3 is not a wonder machine, it has limitations and the only way for devs to get by them is with experience and help from Sony (much like the PS2). The next GTA will be better for sure, but for the first game of this type comming to the PS3 it is looking good. But I think this GTA will still be next-gen alright, just not in the narrow field of graphics.

And just because some PS3 owners now have HDTV's (and I assure we are the minority, for right now anyway) I don't think the devs should drop ereything else and only work on graphics, as that rarely make a good game all by itself.

mobias
02-24-2008, 12:07

Thats totally made up nonsense. At no point in this games development was it ever PS exclusive and at no point was it ever stated by anybody at R* that the map was going to be huge.
Because of the cost of development it was always going to be multi platform. And what R* have stated is that from the outset their aim was to have a smaller beautifully detailed interactive world rather than a huge empty one.

mobias
02-24-2008, 12:12
You need to understand the development process that goes into a videogame before you start degrading a development studio's videogame, based on its graphics. Seriously, why are top-notch photo-realistic graphics so freaking vital to a videogame that is part of a franchise that succeeded in gameplay? You haven't played this game, so you can't say that this game will probably fail because of its graphics. Or how it doesn't look as good as other games like when someone compared it to Final Fantasy XIII, which I might remind to everyone is being helmed by a completely different development studio and videogame engine. Why is GTA IV looking worse and worse instead of better and better, you ask? Simple answer to a simple question - it's not!

One of the few intelligent posts in this ridiculous thread thus far. plus rep

jogara
02-24-2008, 12:17
i despise everything about this franchise... just pure fail all around

Guilty-X-Shell
02-24-2008, 12:19
One of the few intelligent posts in this ridiculous thread thus far. plus rep

I guess Rockstar are'nt very gifted at developing great graphics,i mean look at Saints row or Crackhead for the 360.

Danny2304
02-24-2008, 15:39
Who cares who can honestly say that there not a teeny bit tempted to go and buy that even if on here you say you wont :)

i think it looks amazing and im going to reserve one if i can :p

Metal King Slime
02-24-2008, 19:07
Why is this thread still going? I think we've already answered your question.

Graham
02-24-2008, 22:00
i despise everything about this franchise... just pure fail all around
That's a very constructive post there, well done. Care to give any reasons, or are you just here to try and rattle the cages of members here who actually like playing the most open-ended franchise ever made?

What I've seen so far looks amazing for what the game is likely to offer the gamer, so all this FUD being spread should just stop right now unless you have evidence to suggest that it looks and plays the same or worse than the PS2 games.

Metal King Slime
02-24-2008, 22:06
What I've seen so far looks amazing for what the game is likely to offer the gamer, so all this FUD being spread should just stop right now unless you have evidence to suggest that it looks and plays the same or worse than the PS2 games.
Which prompts me to ask if this thread can be closed, already. There's no constructive reasoning behind it.

makeitlookreal
02-25-2008, 03:53

It doesn't matter if the graphics are "vital" to the game or not. I want every game I buy to have at least very good graphics. The graphics of this game are awful. If the game does not improve I will not be purchasing it.

It is looking worse and worse.

XSpike_SpiegelC
02-25-2008, 04:02
It doesn't matter if the graphics are "vital" to the game or not. I want every game I buy to have at least very good graphics. The graphics of this game are awful. If the game does not improve I will not be purchasing it.

So people are saying this... http://blog.canoe.ca/mediam/GTAIVNiko.jpg AND this... http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/GTAIV004.jpg

doesnt look ANY BETTER AT ALL...then this...http://xboxmedia.gamespy.com/xbox/im...8060903745.jpg

AND this... http://www.absolute-playstation.com/...dreas_hr_1.jpg

ok...so maybe the graphics are not THE BEST OMGG IN THE WHOLE EFFING WORLD!!!1!11!1111

but do NOT say they are barely any better than PS2...... casue compare those...and they are WORLDS different, as they should be.... and COME ONE the game is NOT even OUT yet......

Metal King Slime
02-25-2008, 04:29

Well, I'm sorry "makeitlookreal" (ironic username for a thread of this topic) but apparently some people, actually the majority of people here, think that the graphics on the game look fine. And what I find sad is that you're basing your purchase of the game on its graphics when you should be basing it off more important aspects like gameplay and control. And you're just one consumer who states that you will not be purchasing the game. That won't affect anyone else or even the developers, Rockstar Games. I don't understand how someone can say that the graphics of this game do not look better than PS2 graphics. I guess Crackdown looks just as bad then, right?

You have to be blind to not notice that the graphics are at least average for a next-gen title. You don't even offer reasoning to why the graphics are horrible, as you claim. You're just openly stating the graphics look awful, like anyone will be phased by you not purchasing the game because it doesn't have good graphics. This is a pointless argument. Seriously, if you don't want to buy the game because of its graphics, just keep it to yourself. But stop spewing negative crap about the game because that only makes you look like a troll.

Serinous
02-25-2008, 04:38
its ok.... GTA has always been about the gameplay..... dont worry, it will still blow your mind when it come out in April...

hootyhoo88
02-25-2008, 04:59
If you guys who say these graphics are bad can truly look at these screen shots and still say the graphics are bad must be blind!!!!!!!!

v-digit
02-25-2008, 13:43
i cant wait for this game. 2 more gosh darn months!!!!

The Sith
02-25-2008, 16:27
Im not sure what to make of this game. Looking at pics in game informer it definitely looks next gen. Then these pics surface its the difference is night and day. I hope these picsd are from an early build not the final product. If so a huge let down.

Daz
02-25-2008, 18:56
The GFX on these games has never been perfect, but there are obvious improvments over the last game. All I want to see is how it plays on the SP3 vs. the 360.

MikeCandler
02-25-2008, 21:01
Im not sure what to make of this game. Looking at pics in game informer it definitely looks next gen. Then these pics surface its the difference is night and day. I hope these picsd are from an early build not the final product. If so a huge let down.

The game will look fine, some of the pictures posted in this thread are from early builds and or just simply a poor angle that makes something look worse than it is...you know how people are.
The game will not look as good as a GT5, Uncharted, COD4, etc however it will still look great and most importantly will play even better.

Vinnybb
02-26-2008, 03:20
this opion is the best out there. What do you buy games for graphics?? NO, you buy them for their gameplay. which is what GTA IV is bringing to the table.

makeitlookreal
04-12-2008, 02:47
As time passes I'm becoming more and more fascinated with GTA IV. However, I'm also becoming more and more upset with the poor graphics of the game. It is obvious (even the developers on Beyond 3D have said this) that it's using VERY AGGRESSIVE LOD. This means they are reducing the quality of objects in the distance. Normally, this is a very good thing to do because you can use the saved power (while keeping the distant objects looking exactly the same) to make everything look better.

However, GTA IV is using so much LOD that even objects 20 feet away look very undetailed.

I think if they would fix this issue GTA IV could be the best game of all time.