PDA

View Full Version : A move of desperation?

Rareware
04-13-2008, 14:13
Looks like Sony is desperate to sell consoles there. Why in the world a bundle would only be available in these two markets is beyond me. Unless Sony is getting their arse handed to them there. They're only playing to certain markets with this move.

If Sony ment business, they would do this in the U.S. R* is too smart to let than happen though. They know where this game will sell and letting Sony have these markets to bundle obviously isn't a big deal.

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/NEWS/NEWS/tabid/1482/Default.aspx?CID=cc15aa90-e533-470a-a6ac-f0e47946bc45

We published an article a few weeks back called Microsoft in GTA IV Panic (http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Forums/tabid/158/Default.aspx) in which we detailed how the industry giant was stressing about the number of PS3 consoles the release of GTA IV would ship over Xbox 360s. We argued that this was evident in the way Microsoft had gone about marketing the Xbox 360 version of the game. We also pointed out how Sony had, it appeared, done very little in response (you’ll have to read it for the full explanation).

Now we know why.

As you have no doubt read, it has come to light that a new version (http://www.gtagaming.com/gtagaming/news/comments.php?i=1266) of the PS3 will be made available in time for the launch of GTA IV. It is the 40GB model of the console, but it comes bundled with GTA IV. This is a big, big deal. Especially as the package doesn’t cost any more money than the unbundled version of the console.

The deal is only officially announced for a UK release, but we’ve been given the tip-off that Australia will receive the deal too… in fact we’ve heard unconfirmed reports that some retailers are already promoting it. And if it is making it all the way to little ‘ol Oz, then it should hit every other major territory as well.

This is a massive blow for Microsoft, who has already lowered the Xbox 360’s price point in Europe, and paid US$50 million for downloadable content in an attempt to lure the 12 million-odd PS2 owning GTA fans away from the Sony brand. Given the money and marketing that Microsoft has thrown at Rockstar, the console manufacturer may have expected to get some support back from the developer. On the contrary, Rockstar has, deliberately or not, undermined Microsoft’s chances of not only shipping a bucket-load of consoles, but potentially from coming out on top of the console wars.

Make no mistake; this play by Sony is the most explosive strike yet in the ongoing war between the two console makers.

We’ll probably never know whether Sony paid megabucks for this deal or not, but the facts are on the table. Sony’s most affordable version of the PS3 will come bundled with GTA IV. Currently, in Australia, that model retails for $699 (and has room to move should Sony feel the need).

What does Microsoft offer... click on.

By comparison, local retailer Harvey Norman is promoting an Xbox 360 Elite with GTA IV for $698 (it RRPs for $729 without the game). It’s the same price, but of course the Xbox 360 is minus Blu-ray, built-in wireless and, yes we have to say it, reliability. This is the only bundled deal we have found for the Xbox 360 thus far.

If those missing features don’t bother you, you can always look at the other Xbox 360 SKUs that don’t come bundled with GTA IV. You can buy the arcade console for $399, and the game at $119, to be playing the game for $520. You will not be able to play online, however, and will be limited to 256MBs worth of saves and patches - unless you want to spend more on a hard-drive.

And what of the standard premium pack? Well it is $579 which, if you buy GTA IV at $119, comes to the same value as the elite deal at Harvey Norman. Which makes the premium console frickin’ worthless.

So for the informed consumer, this deal makes it something of a no-brainer. The best value for money deal in order to play GTA IV is Sony’s 40GB bundle. And no, we haven’t forgotten which console has the best game’s library, DLC and online, but as we argued here (http://www.gtagaming.com/gtagaming/news/comments.php?i=1266), this won’t mean a lot to a casual consumer who just wants to play GTA IV.

Bring on the 29th

Make sure you check out our GTA IV Multiplayer Hands-on (http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Forums/tabid/158/Default.aspx). It will leave you very excited, and offers some support to why the Xbox 360 version of the game will probably be superior, even if in terms of pure console sales, it is looking like the PS3 might romp home.

Beodude123
04-13-2008, 14:19
This was already posted a day or so ago...

Still, I think Sony really needs to release this bundle in the States. There are tons of people here waiting for GTA, and if there was a cheap bundle... Man, it would be crazy!

Sentinel
04-13-2008, 14:47
A move of desperation? Compare to $50 Million Microsoft paid them? You are too fanboyish to be talking, so I would suggest leave the PS3Forums

Admartian
04-13-2008, 15:01
It's only as desperate as spending $50mill on DLC. Gee, you could make a whole new game with that much money.

Or is it nearly as desperate as going out of their way (even by their own admission) as to advertise GTA4 as "now on 360"? I'm sure you'll agree with me/us on these points, though. ;)

Artanoma
04-13-2008, 15:19
This was posted before, a day ago. And your take on the matter seems to have already been covered in that afore mentioned previous post. It could easily be misconstrued as either 'desperation' by Sony, or a good business move to counter the DLC that MS will offer. I smell stealth fanboyism here.

supergm007
04-13-2008, 16:01
makes sense to me . I bought a playstation for the sole reason of getting GTA with no online paying bs I gave in just before it was announced gta was delayed..if i'd waited i would defenetly buy the bundle im sure theres more than a fair few likewise.

Sufi
04-13-2008, 16:06
You do realize that other than the US market, PS3 is outselling the 360? How does that fit in your logic about desperation? I say it's an "odd" move instead that they aren't doing this bundle in US.

EDIT: Actually wait, it's also outselling the 360 in US if I can recall it correctly. Have you stopped checking the news for the past 4 months now?

Lirion
04-13-2008, 16:11
Like people have already said... 50 mil $.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2409773689_16576199a0_o.jpg

SillyHatMafia
04-13-2008, 16:29
A new bundle is amove a desperation?

Try MS paying Rockstar 50 Million bucks just for soem Downloadable content. THAT, is desperate.

a New 400 bucks bundle that includes GTAIV is a good move. Being able to buy a new console and get GTAIV ( MGS4 later on ) with it, is a insane deal. You usually have to buy the system, than game. You get both in one shot. Its a good move.

Azazeal
04-13-2008, 16:52
Looks like Sony is desperate to sell consoles there. Why in the world a bundle would only be available in these two markets is beyond me. Unless Sony is getting their arse handed to them there. They're only playing to certain markets with this move.

If Sony ment business, they would do this in the U.S. R* is too smart to let than happen though. They know where this game will sell and letting Sony have these markets to bundle obviously isn't a big deal.

http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/NEWS/NEWS/tabid/1482/Default.aspx?CID=cc15aa90-e533-470a-a6ac-f0e47946bc45

'Thinking' - you're doing it wrong, stop doing it wrong.

Seriously, the PS3 has been outselling the Xbox globally for months, and Europe and Asia are the biggest markets, GTA is an associated brand to the Playstation so the bundle makes perfect sense.

So surely if Sony were 'desperate' they'd be offering the bundle in the US, which is the Xbox's biggest market? Your argument makes no sense at all.

Tribunal
04-13-2008, 16:53
This information isn't new... and personally I'm baffled how you came to your conclusion. But meh.