PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive swapping?

xdbuix
10-26-2008, 06:56
So recently my 2 year old 60 gb Ps3 got the yellow light and won't turn on, which made me sooo sooo sooooo depressed, because Little Big Planet is about to come out. I decided to send my ps3 in to fix, but i gotta save my data somehow. I thought about using my friends new 80gb ps3, and swapping out his harddrive and swapping mine in and then backing up my data.

U guys know if the hard drives are compatible or not?

Thanks bunch
-Dann
:(

SonyJunkie
10-26-2008, 07:03
I don't think that will work. When you put in the HDD it will ask you to format it. I don't think there is anything you can do. Call customer support and ask if you can keep the HDD and just send in the system without it.

ank69
10-26-2008, 07:18
hrmmm thats a bummer ... i was going to literaly kick the f**k out of anyone who had anything to do with sony, when my ps3 drive screwed up its took excalty 31 or 32 days to receive it from the day i sent it off ... it was a real bummer no ps3 for a month ... im not to sure how the hd work but could u hook it up to a computer ???

SonyJunkie
10-26-2008, 07:34
hrmmm thats a bummer ... i was going to literaly kick the f**k out of anyone who had anything to do with sony, when my ps3 drive screwed up its took excalty 31 or 32 days to receive it from the day i sent it off ... it was a real bummer no ps3 for a month ... im not to sure how the hd work but could u hook it up to a computer ???

I've had my PS3 gone for a little over 2 weeks. It is coming back on the 28th. I have no problem waiting. There is nothing I can do about it so why complain. At least you are getting it fixed.

If you have a laptop, you may be able to put in there. I don't know if the PC makes you format it or if it just reads it. You may be able to buy a cable that you can connect to the computer. I'm not really sure though.

Undercover
10-26-2008, 07:43
YES MY PS3 GOT SCREWED UP TO, AN I JUS TOOK MY HDD OUT OF THE PS3 AND SENT IT TO SONY SO YES U HAVE TO TAKE UR HARD DRIVE OUT BUT U NEED THE RIGHT SIZE SCREWDRIVER ITS A PHILLIPPS HEAD #0 (times) 2 - 1/2" SO USE THE SCREWDRIVER TO OPEN UP THE PS3 (BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO STRIP THE PINK SCREW TAKE THE HARD DRIVE OUT AN SEND THE PS3 TO SONY THATS WHAT I DID AN NOW I HAVE ALL MY GAME SAVES AN ALL

Stylee
10-26-2008, 07:52
no, you do not have to remove the hard drive.

in actuality, if their is no possible immediate fix, your data is gone. since you had the yellow light, its gone.

when formatting, the ps3 OS designates a hardware ID. i have heard that it uses the ethernet MAC address for ID creation. once that hard drive goes into another ps3, it will ask to reformat since the ID does not match. (every mac address is unique per hardware).

the ps3 OS does not format using a normal file table, you will not see the data on a PC. in truth it may be difficult for the PC to even know there is a drive attached.

torres76
11-06-2008, 18:52
i,ve converted my 250gb external drive to fat32 and backed up my ps3 ready for a new drive thats coming a 250gb one i reckon its probably best to keep backing up your harddrive incase there are any problems in the future then all your game data wont be lost.

LiamTG
11-06-2008, 20:26
Recently I had a replacement PS3 and thought, 'Not to worry, the data is on my 160gb hard drive'. When the replacement PS3 came, I put the 160gb one in the console and had no choice but to re-format it. So to answer your question - if you can back it up to an external drive do so or you will lose it buddy - like I did :(