PDA

View Full Version : should we open ps3 and clean dust?

pirateJoon
02-11-2009, 23:35
I open my pc case about every half yr and i see clusters of dust here and there. What's worse is when they get stuck on fan for cpu, gpu...etc cuz they generate heats even more. They can cause freezing or slow down.

I was wondering if ps3 and 360 or other consoles also need such things to be done.

It voids warranty for 360 (not sure about ps3) but I don't wanna see my console dying from dust.

cyankee1
02-11-2009, 23:44
Don't do it! Big pain in the @rse to get back together. plus you can't access the fans unless you remove the BD drive and other componets. I did this last weekend BIG Mistake. Save yourself the stress and just vaccum the vents and the ports. Not to mention it voids your warranty if you still have one.

the stress of getting it back together and turning it on hopeing you didn't do anything to screw it up isn't worth it.

Updator
02-11-2009, 23:46
It voids ps3 warranty aswell, maybe only do it after the warranty ends.

Thanatos465
02-12-2009, 00:02
why not just use compressed air on the bottem vent and it will go out the top?

Xy
02-12-2009, 00:15
Hoover it. Works best for me :lol:

Grinchy
02-12-2009, 01:06
I just vacuumed my vents for the first time (owned the system for over 2 years). It is noticeably more quiet.

I have always used compressed air, but that's not really the best option either. If I were you, I would not open it up. Just vacuum. And don't touch the metal part of the vacuum to the system either, use one of the attachments or a toilet paper roll.

Kyo.
02-12-2009, 02:33
yeah dont ever open it up mate.
unless you know what your doing and its out of warranty but even then i wouldn't do it.
just get the vacuum out if its that dusty...

honesty iv had mine for 2 years now and it still works a treat :D

VTEGPT
02-12-2009, 04:29
Keep it in the box like i do mine never gets dusty

JMelillo57
02-12-2009, 04:52
I would say no, but that is just me.

A D O X 2 5 2 5
02-12-2009, 05:38
is it a 40gig model? if so jus completely power down, hold eject, then start it up, the fans will no go mega fast for a minute n clear dust :-)

coldbloodied
02-12-2009, 05:43
HELL NO

Why would you do this just spray some compressed Air inside if you open it you void warrenty then sony wont fix it even if you pay them

stokenash
02-12-2009, 10:27
is it a 40gig model? if so jus completely power down, hold eject, then start it up, the fans will no go mega fast for a minute n clear dust :-)
I recommended this on another thread. I think I upset someone though, as I got a lecture about how it will break your PS3...mine still works fine though.
Id just use a hover to be safe.

VintageElise
02-12-2009, 16:08
If I ever took mine apart I'll never be able to put it back together so I would say no.

jkade1023
02-12-2009, 17:09

this can only be done on 40 gb ps3's?

Hedrush
02-12-2009, 17:49

That is not recommended as it can overheat I believe, and if it was it would be in the user manual.

this can only be done on 40 gb ps3's?

Just forget about it and use a hoover, and not an upright one. ;) :lol:

Treefrog
02-12-2009, 18:47
I don't see why cleaning the vents has become such a huge thing these days.

I never cleaned out my PS2, or PS1, and I'll only clean out the dust from my PC when I'm installing new hardware. If dust really does have an effect on the system then they would have installed some sort of filters on the vents.

I know that dust eventually builds up and block the vents, but the system is constantly sucking air in, it has to come out somewhere else.

Sorry, kinda ranting here, one of my bug bears. Just leave the system alone, never done me any harm.

Raonak
02-12-2009, 20:09
No, unlike a computer, the Ps3 has multiple layers of metal and hardware. You will need to remove more than just the case to be able to clean it properly.

Its not worth it. just vaccume.

metallic88
02-12-2009, 20:10
HELL NO

Why would you do this just spray some compressed Air inside if you open it you void warrenty then sony wont fix it even if you pay them

they will fix it even if you have opened it up.

Gadget
02-12-2009, 20:37
I wouldn't bother - it's just too much hassle. If was as easy as pulling the side panel off the PC then I would but it's not worth the effort with the PS3. As other have suggested, I just vacuum the vents out now and again.