PDA

View Full Version : What was your first racing game experience?

halfdeaf
09-22-2009, 00:18
I was browsing YouTube and came across this classic NES game. So, I thought I'd start up a thread on retro racing games seeing as pretty much every big racing franchise is just out with a new game or releasing in the coming months.

http://www.youtube.com/v/LQrRrcObUmU&hl

Years ago this was my favorite game. I played it to death. The physics in this game are absolutely amazing:rolleyes:

What was the first racing game you played and which platform did you play it on.

On a side note, wasn't there a retro/old school forum here somewhere. I couldn't find it anywhere.

Tyrien
09-22-2009, 00:19
The original Mario Kart.

igota33
09-22-2009, 00:59
this would have to be my first racing game

YouTube - Enduro for the Atari 2600

and some of my retro favorites

YouTube - Commodore 64 Racing Games

Watching some of those videos bought back some great memories. The sound as well, how cool.

Daneroy
09-22-2009, 01:06
I think it was called Wacky Racers and it was a kart style game where you could slow your opponents by oiling the ground or by throwing hedghogs at them. The tracks were really short but it was fun.

Gran Turismo on

BigYoSpeck
09-22-2009, 01:22
The original Mario Kart.

I remember playing Outrun on the C64 but Mariokart was the first game I got into properly. I used to love trouncing my dad on vs & battlemode.

My first game with real cars was Ridge Racer. That games was probably the biggest leap in console racing games until Gran Turismo. When I first had it I didn't have a memory card and it only took me the weekend to complete it but it was still my game of choice until Rage Racer came out.

martindoc
09-22-2009, 03:28
my first racing game i ever played was mario kart but my first one for the ps was ridge racer

Ixion
09-22-2009, 03:34
Road Rash on the Sega Genesis.

YouTube - Road Rash On Genesis

halfdeaf
09-22-2009, 11:58
this would have to be my first racing game

YouTube - Enduro for the Atari 2600 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkedPTL3E-U)

and some of my retro favorites

YouTube - Commodore 64 Racing Games (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mseNdfiBaVE)

Watching some of those videos bought back some great memories. The sound as well, how cool.
The second vidoe is so cool, brings back a lot of memories. I played most of these games. Some where however ports on the PC because I never owned a 64, like the Test Drive series. Man the controls were awful in the PC version, you were lucky to go in a sraight line.

higgos22
09-22-2009, 12:08
In all Honesty Gran Turismo 3

I had a Genesis when I was young even before I was born my brothers had it i think and we had no racing games at all

Then we got PS2 with Gran turismo 3 and Tony Hawks pro skater 3

Wait no I played Crash team racing at my friends house on his PS1 about 6months before

scottscorpion
09-22-2009, 12:15
mines was this
YouTube - ZX Spectrum: OutRun

mickice
09-22-2009, 12:27
Gran Prix Amiga 500.

YouTube - Formula one Grand Prix - Racing. Commodore Amiga.

Whiplasher
09-22-2009, 13:39
The best racing game ever: Crash Team Racing. Not joking. I love that game.

-Deadpool-
09-22-2009, 15:01
Think it was this one:

YouTube - Amiga Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

As a purely 'racing' game anyway :D

Might have had some before that, but can't remember.

halfdeaf
09-22-2009, 15:31
Think it was this one:

YouTube - Amiga Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxdfYPW4RA)

As a purely 'racing' game anyway :D

Might have had some before that, but can't remember.
I'm pretty sure I played this one on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis back in the day. Wasn't there a 3rd one on PC? I remember playing something similar on PC.

@scottscorpion I have some awesome memories from Outrun too.

It's funny, I remember that every time a new innovative racing game came out I was blown away every time. I mean firat time you played a 3D racer, the first racer you played where the car moved but not the road etc. I wonder If those days are over, if the peak is reached. I haven't been properly blown away by a racing game since Gran Turismo 3.

ash91
09-22-2009, 15:40
Lotus II: R.E.C.S on the SEGA Mega Drive.
I still have it as well. The box is right in front of me as I type this.

YouTube - Classic Gameplay: Lotus II RECS

-Deadpool-
09-22-2009, 15:40
I'm pretty sure I played this one on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis back in the day. Wasn't there a 3rd one on PC? I remember playing something similar on PC.

May have been but I'm not sure! Only played the old ones :D

Pretty awesome fun back in the day.

halfdeaf
09-22-2009, 17:39
May have been but I'm not sure! Only played the old ones :D

Pretty awesome fun back in the day.

When games were more about the fun rather than the graphics and production values. :D

Lotus II: R.E.C.S on the SEGA Mega Drive.
I still have it as well. The box is right in front of me as I type this.

Yup, I remember the R.E.C.S. feature. It was one of those mind-blowing innovation in the racing genre:snicker

The single most innovative feature of Lotus III is the Racing Environment Construction Set (RECS) course creation system. The system allows users to create a race track by defining various basic parameters, such as amount and difficulty of turns and hills, amount of obstacles, type of scenery or difficulty of opponents.
Ahh, good old days...

BioSonic
09-22-2009, 17:46
Burnout 3

gillmanjr
10-01-2009, 18:01
my first was excitebike, but Top Gear 2 for SNES is the bomb, I still play it sometimes!

jlippone
10-01-2009, 20:47
Pitstop on C64, it was decent game and second was a good one.

Poida
10-01-2009, 22:15
YouTube - Beetle Adventure Racing (N64) - Gameplay
Would be my first racer, not Beetle though, the HSV version.

MR_T
10-03-2009, 15:38
now your asking! id say it was either the original test drive or lotus challenge on the amiga:

YouTube - Amiga Intro - Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge

YouTube - Test Drive 1987 (Amiga)

ye thats right we had cockpit views 20 years ago!

Kyaw
10-03-2009, 17:01
Crash Team Racing on PS1.

The best racing experience i have ever had in the old days...

Steve
10-03-2009, 19:04
Test Drive 5. Used to be my favorite game of all time. Played it for hours at a time.

SYLiam
10-03-2009, 19:38
A few come to mind...

Super Hang On for the SEGA Mega Drive
Super Mario Kart for the SNES
TOCA Touring Car Championship for the PSone
Colin McRae Rally for the PSone

MR_T
10-03-2009, 21:30
woot just remembered my fav oldskool racer of all time, dont make rally games like this anymore!

YouTube - Network Q RAC Rally game by Europress 1993

halfdeaf
10-04-2009, 02:17
Looks like a lot of people had their first encounter with the racing genre through Test Drive and Lotus Challenge series. I remember playing both, in particular I remember playing a PC port of Test Drive that was horrible. The worst controls ever, I couldn't drive like 10 meters without crashing.

-Deadpool-
10-04-2009, 03:07
woot just remembered my fav oldskool racer of all time, dont make rally games like this anymore!

YouTube - Network Q RAC Rally game by Europress 1993 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiXZVS-Jlw)
Cockpit view for the win!! All the way back then :lol:

NateTheApe
10-04-2009, 07:27
I think OutRun or ExciteBike were some of the first ones I played. . .And I still play racing games to this day.

halfdeaf
10-04-2009, 17:00
Cockpit view for the win!! All the way back then :lol:
Hellz yeah, oldschool FTW:lol:

jlippone
10-04-2009, 19:15
Hellz yeah, oldschool FTW:lol:
During those years most of the car games had cockpit view as an only option. :)
Games like Test Drice 2 and Stunts were really great games as well.

MR_T
10-12-2009, 01:44
just remembered another few i used to love:

stunt race fx (snes)

YouTube - Stunt Race FX - Super Nintendo

nigel mansell f1 (snes)

YouTube - Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing - SNES

race drivin (snes) god this game was hard!

YouTube - OGT - Race Drivin' - SNES

Christopher
10-12-2009, 01:55
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Pole0000.png

Pole Position

lordAlucard
10-28-2009, 21:09
First was Micro Machine V3, Wacky Racers and Ridge Racer Revolution on Playstation.
Onwards in life I discovered the awesomeness of Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally, Outrun and maybe in the future Daytona HD & Sega All star racing weird how Sega is connected to all of these driving games huh?