PDA

View Full Version : Move news comments to the forum

Tutankhamun
05-16-2010, 11:30
There is apparently problems for the mods to moderate the comments section on the front page, so I thought about similar site as this who had solved this quite easily; When someone post a news item on the front page (psu.com) a bot should create a thread with the entire news in a section on the forum called PSU News Section (or something similar)

When someone wants to post a comment on that news item the comment would have to be posted in the forum in that specified thread created by the bot, this way the mods can moderate the comments like a regular message on the forums. This would, in my opinion, bring a higher quality of comments on the news a create higher number of visits on psu.com

Macrumors.com (http://www.macrumors.com/) has a solution like this for there news and it works very well. There forum is also VB so it shouldn't be to much problem creating this.

http://grab.by/grabs/4ce0eadb64d912abd436ee4b0bd53b8b.png

http://grab.by/grabs/59a2636fac371f290a92f35711e92647.png

Thoughts?

squirrelbo1
05-16-2010, 11:39
pretty cool idea, although it is up to seb

F34R
05-16-2010, 11:43
It's a great idea. The only problem is whether or not it could be integrated into the software they are using right now. Another issue is whether to do it now, or wait until the upgrade.

Tutankhamun
05-16-2010, 11:46
It's a great idea. The only problem is whether or not it could be integrated into the software they are using right now. Another issue is whether to do it now, or wait until the upgrade.

Probably best to do it with the upgrade. As for implemeting it I think it's a simple PHP bot, but I'm no programmer.

F34R
05-16-2010, 11:48
Well, normally, it's just be editing a few php files, inserting the new code. However, with a heavily modified site like this, sometimes those seemingly simply code integrations can cause other things to mess up, sometimes catastrophically.

squirrelbo1
05-16-2010, 11:55
Well, normally, it's just be editing a few php files, inserting the new code. However, with a heavily modified site like this, sometimes those seemingly simply code integrations can cause other things to mess up, sometimes catastrophically.

is a very good point. i mean we havent had a quick edit until the hacker rest a load of stuff to default.

Tutankhamun
05-16-2010, 12:33

Yeah, they would obviously test it in a "beta" phase in sandboxed copies of the site, which I assume they do when they implement new code.

berts08
05-16-2010, 12:33
Im all for this idea

F34R
05-16-2010, 13:04
Yeah, they would obviously test it in a "beta" phase in sandboxed copies of the site, which I assume they do when they implement new code.
You'd assume that right lol.

Tutankhamun
05-16-2010, 14:14
Can I PM this thread to Seb or is that not allowed?

BrokenKeyboard
05-16-2010, 14:17
That'd be pretty awesome hopefully it can be implemented without any problems caused by it :)

VintageElise
05-16-2010, 14:29
The Escapist do this aswell. It works quite well.

Don't see why you can't PM Seb...

squirrelbo1
05-16-2010, 14:41
Can I PM this thread to Seb or is that not allowed?

yeah pm it to him

dc89
05-16-2010, 14:55
As soon as I saw it was Tut who was the OP I knew straight away he was going to use Macrumors as a example. Because if the OP gave no example I was going to mention that site.

It is a great idea.

AJe
05-16-2010, 19:24
I suggested this very idea to Seb about 18 months ago. He liked it then but as you can obviously see, nothing got done.

Tutankhamun
05-16-2010, 19:26
I suggested this very idea to Seb about 18 months ago. He liked it then but as you can obviously see, nothing got done.

Oh well, that sucks. At least we have done what we can.

Pez_555
05-16-2010, 19:29
one of the reasons why i love macrumors a lot.

great idea.

BrokenKeyboard
05-16-2010, 19:54

Ah damn.

You should keep annoying him about it though, I think it'd make things a lot better.

L1nux K1ng
05-17-2010, 10:24
Just keep on trying to get this idea implemented. Maybe it didn't get implemented in the first place because he was too busy and had to add more important things to the site or because of a certain hacker.

If you keep bugging Seb about it then something will get done, trust me.

neoxthexone
05-17-2010, 18:33
This is a cool idea.

Thorzilla
05-18-2010, 09:27
Your hopes are too high. We're still waiting for the shop to be fixed, yadda, yadda, yadda...

neoxthexone
05-18-2010, 14:11
The shop isn't really necessary though, yeh it was nice to have but the discussions in this forum are the ****.

carocat
05-19-2010, 08:24
Yes, we have been looking into this, as i've mentioned in the other thread, but at the moment the forum upgrade comes first.

We will keep you updated though!

higgos22
05-19-2010, 10:25
I like the idea
I always think it would be better if the article was on forum, i mean normally it is anyway a few days in advance from some forum user but when its not or if its something that is not so much news i reckon it would make good for forum

Eric
01-12-2011, 07:02
Tutankhamun, we are actively looking into a solution along these lines. Can't give any details or specifics because, honestly, I don't have them, but I know something like this is being actively considered and researched.

Mr.Bishop
01-13-2011, 05:56
Tutankhamun, we are actively looking into a solution along these lines. Can't give any details or specifics because, honestly, I don't have them, but I know something like this is being actively considered and researched.

Sweet bump. :)

But yeah I absolutely love this idea. We're going to be ripping apart the code of the news system, so we should be able to cook something up to accomplish this. No guarantees on time, but we'll do it.

dc89
01-13-2011, 09:04
Nice bump Eric.

Nice work Mr Bishop!

Tutankhamun
01-19-2011, 19:48
I got an amendment to this suggestion, when this is implemented if a regular member posts a piece of news that you also want to post on the main site (PSU.com) the thread made by the user (the first thread about the subject on the forum) should be moved to this special section with news and used as the official thread around this topic. This will make it worth for members to post news quickly here since your thread easily can become one of the most popular if PSU decides to make a story on the subject you're reporting on.

REEEPR
01-20-2011, 06:31
The only thing that could improve this plan would be if this new fangled "AutoNews" thread could make me a cup of cofee and give me a neck rub. Carry on guys, it's nice to see people responding to us "little guys" so thoroughly.