PDA

View Full Version : Internet Relationships?

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 13:01
What are your views on internet relationships? Would you ever get into one and, if so, how far would you be prepared to travel to see said internet lover?

I've had a couple of 'online' relationships but they've both been near. One was in the next town and one was thirty miles away. Wouldn't do it again.

Galvanise_
08-15-2010, 13:04
I don't think I'd ever get into one, but they will be becoming more prevalent. The next step up from Facebook and Twitter are fully realised 3D worlds such as Playstation Home and Second Life. As more people play Facebook games, gradually they'll want a consistent avatar in a fully realised world that is linked together. In these spaces new internet relationships will bloom.

spyrde
08-15-2010, 13:04
Dont really think they work out too well. Its totally different seeing them in person. I've chatted with several girls after meeting them somewhere, and after some signals via MSN etc. and finally meeting, its been completely different. Sometimes even awkward.

podsaurus
08-15-2010, 13:23
Noo. Not seeing someone just wouldn't work for me.

Dave-The-Rave
08-15-2010, 13:27
Nah, Im fine with having friends online..but a proper relationship just wouldn't work.

Super_Lilith
08-15-2010, 13:44
There have been success stories of people who first met each other on the internets. But it is dodgy business. For every one good thing that has happened from internet relationships, there are about a hundred other involving pedo, murders, money scams and rape.

welshfrankie
08-15-2010, 13:54
What are your views on internet relationships? Would you ever get into one and, if so, how far would you be prepared to travel to see said internet lover?

I've had a couple of 'online' relationships but they've both been near. One was in the next town and one was thirty miles away. Wouldn't do it again.

Is this relevant to the discussion we had last night? :|

Cyn
08-15-2010, 14:12
:snicker

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 15:01
Is this relevant to the discussion we had last night? :|
I knew that's what you'd think but, no, nothing to do with last night.

welshfrankie
08-15-2010, 16:48
I knew that's what you'd think but, no, nothing to do with last night.

Good. :snicker

Tyrien
08-15-2010, 16:53
Without going into the painfully regretful details:

No, it's a bad idea. Proceed with caution.

There have been success stories of people who first met each other on the internets. But it is dodgy business. For every one good thing that has happened from internet relationships, there are about a hundred other involving pedo, murders, money scams or rape.

Fixed for accuracy. You're over exaggerating.

LibertyCap89
08-15-2010, 17:31
My girlfriends brother was dared to go on a dating website by his mates or something, he's a clever guy not ******ed or anything. Met a girl on there and now he's 27 and their engaged with a kid an they run a business an stuff.

So it can work for some. :)

Naxi
08-15-2010, 17:35
Here's some uplifting news for you singletons this Valentine's Day - online dating sites are a good way to meet your mate.

A new study finds that about one in five people who have used online dating sites have gone on to marry someone they met via the Web, the Daily Mail reported.

The Daily Mail also reported:

The study, conducted by consumer group Which?, found that more than 50 percent of people who used online dating sites had gone on a date with someone they met in cyberspace. Sixty-two percent said it was easier to meet someone on an online dating site than in other ways.

'Online dating is revolutionizing the way people meet each other. Switching the computer on could be the first step to success,' Jess Ross, editor of which.co.uk, told the Daily Mail.

A Bath University study revealed that people who met on dating sites were 94 percent more likely to go on a second date than those who met in other ways. Men were more likely to find true love than women.

More than 22 million people visited online dating sites in 2007, and these numbers appear to be growing.

The Daily News spoke to Paul Breton, the Senior Manager of Corporate Communications at eHarmony, who said they've seen an increase in memberships recently. Statistics from Perfectmatch.com showed a spike in new members of 47% in 2008.

So ladies and gentleman, if you're looking for your one true love, you might want to look online. It seems to be a good way to meet your match, and more and more people are turning to the Web to find love.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2009/02/14/2009-02-14_study_online_dating_a_good_way_to_meet_y.html#i xzz0wh2MqiYM

Tyrien
08-15-2010, 17:44
My girlfriends brother was dared to go on a dating website by his mates or something, he's a clever guy not ******ed or anything. Met a girl on there and now he's 27 and their engaged with a kid an they run a business an stuff.

So it can work for some. :)
I'd like to say that a dating website is a much different case than "internet relationships".

Dating websites are designed for matching up two "compatible" people within close geographical proximity of one another.

Just based on my experience I'd never call dating websites an internet relationship, or even online dating. Dating websites will have you send a few emails or texts back and forth then you two meet. It's just a dating service.

Meeting someone online and falling in love with their personality is a much different case. Especially when you're ignorant enough to think there's a realistic chance of it working.

Forgive me for being bitter.

The OP appears to be speaking of online relationships where both parties meet each other through other venues. Examples I can think of would be MMOs, chat rooms, forums such as this one, etc.

Bigdoggy
08-15-2010, 18:10
oh geezes, don't even remind me. I use to play EQ quite a bit and I have seen marriages fall apart in real life from that game. My friends wife was addicted to it, and threw that game she met someone. She was telling her husband "nothing is going on" then phone calls started, after that they got a divorce and she moved in with the other guy that lived in the next state over. Their relationship didn't work out and she tried crawling back to the man she divorced over an avatar character on a game. he obviously said no and when I was over at his house i witnessed it all. then he just said something to her before telling her to leave, which was "get some ****in therapy". LOL

Tribunal
08-15-2010, 18:13
I wouldn't bother friend, unless they ended up being really close to where you were. That's the only way I could see it working out, assuming neither of you were psychopaths.

dc89
08-15-2010, 18:16

I met my GF on the internet. Not on some dodgy dating site I swear but actually in a random chat room called Dubit.

We've been together over 4 years.

Fate I guess.

Seahawkk
08-15-2010, 18:20
ive met a few girls while on vacation then talked to them on the computer/ phone and it never works out unless your ugly then maybe it would

Tutankhamun
08-15-2010, 18:21
There's a difference between having a relationship over the Internet and dating over the Internet with the intent to meet. I think the later works but not the former.

dc89
08-15-2010, 18:25
Yup the later does work.

Meet on the net by chance or by actively looking, but actually go meet.

Worked for me but like I said my encounter was purely by chance I guess.

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 18:33
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for believing that love can happen over the internet but, from the few experiences I've had, it's just not my style. The first girl I met was awesome but it ended miserably because of the distance and the second girl I met - well, that was just a complete disaster. Then I got talking to Vixen, we hooked up, started dating, moved in together, had a baby and - BAM! - now I'm back home. The internet just doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.

Tutankhamun
08-15-2010, 18:35
Finding a girl over the Internet is like finding a girl anywhere else you just need to find the right one, I don't think it matters if you met a girl over the Internet or in a bar.

Tyrien
08-15-2010, 18:41
There's a difference between having a relationship over the Internet and dating over the Internet with the intent to meet. I think the later works but not the former.
To be fair I'd just call the two different stages of the same thing.

Royals
08-15-2010, 18:48
It seems potentially dangerous so no I wouldn't.

iplayonlysony
08-15-2010, 18:51
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for believing that love can happen over the internet but, from the few experiences I've had, it's just not my style. The first girl I met was awesome but it ended miserably because of the distance and the second girl I met - well, that was just a complete disaster. Then I got talking to Vixen, we hooked up, started dating, moved in together, had a baby and - BAM! - now I'm back home. The internet just doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.

You totally lost me with that part. What did that have to do with internet dating?

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 18:54
You totally lost me with that part. What did that have to do with internet dating?
Because I met her through the internet, perhaps?

Tribunal
08-15-2010, 19:06
Because I met her through the internet, perhaps?

I was so close to saying exactly that... but then I realized there was a second page... so I couldn't come to your Defense Jaeger. *tear*

iplayonlysony
08-15-2010, 19:12
Lol, ok. But that could happen without the internet too. Sounds like just bad luck.

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 19:18
Lol, ok. But that could happen without the internet too. Sounds like just bad luck.
Maybe, but the internet is to blame for all our problems. Thats for another day though.

Tyrien
08-15-2010, 19:22
Maybe, but the internet is to blame for all our problems. Thats for another day though.

are you trying to suggest that humanity was free from both social, and relationship issues prior to the internet?

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 19:32
are you trying to suggest that humanity was free from both social, and relationship issues prior to the internet?
Not at all. I'm merely suggesting that in our case, the internet actually WAS to blame for our split. Seriously, it caused no end of problems but, like I said, that's for another day and another place.

iplayonlysony
08-15-2010, 19:59
Oh please tell. Could be very informative.

VintageElise
08-15-2010, 20:02
I for one, still stand by the fact Internet relationships CAN work out. Just takes alot of effort and luck.

Jaeger
08-15-2010, 20:03
Oh please tell. Could be very informative.
I'd rather not. No offence, but it's all a bit too personal to be shared on a forum. What I will say is this; don't ever lie about something you've done on the internet, be it talking to random people or going on dodgy sites. You WILL be caught.

iplayonlysony
08-15-2010, 20:08
Fair enough. I think Facebook can be the one to blaim for a lot of relationship troubles.
*chicks are always saying things on my wall, gonna get me in trouble one day*

Lebowski
08-15-2010, 21:46
nope..epic fail on my part..they don't work, and no one should try it unless they meet the girl..end of story

efs5030
08-15-2010, 21:50
Nope, its a bad idea. It can work sometimes, but there are some ****ed up people on the internet nowadays.

TheBreezyBB
08-15-2010, 22:03
I love to have fun online if you know what i mean :lol:

VintageElise
08-15-2010, 22:17
Nope, its a bad idea. It can work sometimes, but there are some ****ed up people on the internet nowadays.

There are f***ed up people everywhere.

VintageElise
08-15-2010, 22:17

There are f***ed up people everywhere.

iplayonlysony
08-15-2010, 23:07
I noticed more posts are double posted now.

Arkano6
08-15-2010, 23:47
Internet relationships are totally plausible.

The amount of relationships that spring up from WoW is astounding. When I had moved to a top guild on my server our GM (Guild master/leader) was in a relationship with someone in our guild, in the end it didn't work out. We then got a new GM and he got into a relationship with someone else in the guild which...didn't work out either :lol:. I could go into more detail on how it affected the guild as a whole but most people wont find it interesting/understand it so I wont bore you with it.

Actually, I forgot that there were two people from my guild who got together something like 2 years ago through WoW and are still together AFAIK.

On a different note to relationships is how personal friendships can spring up from games (Namely, WoW), going from just talking over the net to actually meeting in real life. Someone in our guild from the Netherlands ended up staying at someone else from our guilds' house for two weeks. And countless accounts of guildies meeting around the country.

It's far easier on WoW than say, Halo, because (assuming you would be in a raiding guild) you're raiding with the same 25 people each day 5 our of 7 days a week for 3-4 hours a night. You end up building up a community within the guild.

Seahawkk
08-16-2010, 00:00
internet relationships are for people who don't have enough balls to talk to girls/guys in real life so they hide behind a computer screen where you have an unlimited amount of time to think on what you will say next to the person.

EDIT: Even long distance relationships end in failure most of the time

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 00:16
internet relationships are for people who don't have enough balls to talk to girls/guys in real life so they hide behind a computer screen where you have an unlimited amount of time to think on what you will say next to the person.

I love how stereotypical you are. I knew exactly what your post would say before the page even loaded.

Two out of the three stories I mentioned involved the two people meeting and actually staying together so what you just said is utter bull****.

ps3isawesome
08-16-2010, 00:29
Seahawkk the troll :D

HellsJester
08-16-2010, 00:37
For some people a internet relationship is the only way for them to meet new people and find love.
I would definitely go for it if i found the right girl and im willing to be 50 miles away or less.

Seahawkk
08-16-2010, 03:26
I love how stereotypical you are. I knew exactly what your post would say before the page even loaded.

Two out of the three stories I mentioned involved the two people meeting and actually staying together so what you just said is utter bull****.

i said most of the time bud so yes some internet relationships do work. But thats exactly what internet dating is about, puss ies who can't get some in the real world

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 09:21
Internet relationships are for the failures of life. If you can't get a Girl the proper way, don't bother.

mickice
08-16-2010, 09:27
I'm fine with meeting local girls online, but I wouldn't really call it a full on relationship, too many aspects are missing. Only when that relationship is taken into the real world with me and her would I call it just that, a relationship.

Internet relationships are for the failures of life. If you can't get a Girl the proper way, don't bother.

Actually there has been studies suggesting that online relationships have a higher percentage of turning into marriages.

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 09:33
Internet relationships are for the failures of life. If you can't get a girl the proper way, don't bother.
Stop being a douchebag.

Some people lack the confidence to just go out and 'get the girl' which is where the internet comes in useful. I'm not saying I was one of them but I know of people who have such low self-esteem that they barely ever go out the front door - what chance do they have of getting a girlfriend if they think that low of themselves?

mickice
08-16-2010, 09:35
Stop being a douchebag.

Some people lack the confidence to just go out and 'get the girl' which is where the internet comes in useful. I'm not saying I was one of them but I know of people who have such low self-esteem that they barely ever go out the front door - what chance do they have of getting a girlfriend if they think that low of themselves?

To be fair, most girls arnt into 'that'. Most girls I know are pretty out going and thrive on being popular to some extent.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 09:44
I'm fine with meeting local girls online, but I wouldn't really call it a full on relationship, too many aspects are missing. Only when that relationship is taken into the real world with me and her would I call it just that, a relationship.

Actually there has been studies suggesting that online relationships have a higher percentage of turning into marriages.[/QUOTE]

Of course! Thaibrides.com LOL!

[QUOTE=Jaeger;5138674]Stop being a douchebag.

it's called Agraphobia and if they are that bad, they seriously need help. It's not hard finding a girl, for example, if I'm out on a photo shoot (landscape photographer) and see another (mostly they are quite acceptable looking girls ;) ) then we all chat about our gear and filters etc.. one thing leads to another etc, you just have to get out there with a hobby that lets you go outside!

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 09:46
To be fair, most girls arnt into 'that'. Most girls I know are pretty out going and thrive on being popular to some extent.
Most girls aren't, no, but there's a fair few of them out there who are more into the sensitive, vunerable guy as opposed to the 'bad guy' stereotype that's been built for this generation. I know of at least a couple of girls who would rather cuddle up on the sofa with a good film than go out and get completely trashed and watch her boyfriend act all 'ard in front of everyone. Believe it or not, mate, but just because one girl is like that doesn't mean they all are. Contrary to popular belief, the lone sheep doesn't always follow the herd.

Spyro, why are you so against internet relationships? I mean I'm not a fan of them but I'm willing to be open-minded about it but you - you come off as bitter. I'm getting the impression you've dabbled in it and come off worse for wear.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 09:50
Most girls aren't, no, but there's a fair few of them out there who are more into the sensitive, vunerable guy as opposed to the 'bad guy' stereotype that's been built for this generation. I know of at least a couple of girls who would rather cuddle up on the sofa with a good film than go out and get completely trashed and watch her boyfriend act all 'ard in front of everyone. Believe it or not, mate, but just because one girl is like that doesn't mean they all are. Contrary to popular belief, the lone sheep doesn't always follow the herd.

Well I agree on that part. I'd rather have an intelligent girl than one who wrecks her liver by getting trashed with her -100 IQ friends every night.. my worst nightmare lol!

MedicDog
08-16-2010, 11:05
Personal experience, they don't work.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 11:14
Spyro, why are you so against internet relationships? I mean I'm not a fan of them but I'm willing to be open-minded about it but you - you come off as bitter. I'm getting the impression you've dabbled in it and come off worse for wear.

Nope, I jsut prefer to meet people the way it's meant to be (unless cavemen met women but sending them mail)? You can't hide behind a screen and you can talk and get to know eachother right away rather than doing it all again IF you ever meet in person.

Plus, the girls I'd be into (photography girls) all go outside anyway :)

Tyrien
08-16-2010, 11:25
Nope, I jsut prefer to meet people the way it's meant to be (unless cavemen met women but sending them mail)? You can't hide behind a screen and you can talk and get to know eachother right away rather than doing it all again IF you ever meet in person.

"The way it's meant to be"?

People are a little more complex than that, but sure.

mickice
08-16-2010, 11:25

But your finding girls in a place of your interest, it's the same as being online on a site of special interest and meeting a girl there. It's just a different representation of the world, nothing less.

The difference with online is that a person could me 5m away or across the other side of the globe.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 11:46
But your finding girls in a place of your interest, it's the same as being online on a site of special interest and meeting a girl there. It's just a different representation of the world, nothing less.

The difference with online is that a person could me 5m away or across the other side of the globe.

True, but come on.. you can't have a relationship with a girl if she's 8,000 miles away. That's just sad.

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 11:49
True, but come on.. you can't have a relationship with a girl if she's 8,000 miles away. That's just sad.

Am I detecting jealousy here?

Tyrien
08-16-2010, 11:55

You don't think that's a slight exaggeration?

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 12:01
Nope, he did use 'on the other side of the world' in his example. I'm sure there are people out there whom this actually applies too O_o

But even if it's 100 miles, that's a bit too far. You can't do anything spontaneous, you can't be there for eachother every day etc.. eventually, the Candle will burn out and you'd be left wondering "why didn't I listen to Spyroviper"? ;)

Tyrien
08-16-2010, 12:10
There's a difference between starting a relationship online and having a relationship remain exclusively online.

Even if it is 8,000 miles away as long as both people involved are serious enough about taking the relationship somewhere it can work. With that kind of distance it's both risky and irresponsible, but as long as no one waits too long then it can work.

That's also a very rare scenario compared to most. Usually both are within the same state/province or in the very least the same country. It's easier to manage and less likely to burn out as long as both people aren't idiots and wait several months before even meeting.

Maybe you're not being clear enough about what you meant by your original statement. It appears that you're trying to suggest that there's only one "proper" way of dating or starting a relationship, and that anyone who thinks otherwise is a failure at life. It also appears that you're trying to suggest that there's only one possible reason why anyone would feel that there's an alternative way to date/meet people.

I'm sorry but if that's the case, then for someone who presents himself as an otherwise intelligent person that's a really stupid thing to say.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 12:22
I don't think it's a stupid thing to say at all. What's stupid is putting months into a virtual relationship to try and make it work. Like I said, you won't be able to do things that other couples can do and NEED to do, like go shopping together, go to the cinema, go for days out or just stay inside and watch a movie etc.

What I do, is give the cold harsh truth and not many people can accept my 'directness'. Maybe calling them failures at life was perhaps a bit TOO harsh.. but failure to see the facts about doing it is negligent imo.

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 12:46
If you meet someone online and really hit it off, it wouldn't matter if they were 8 miles away or 8,000 miles away - the fact that you've started a relationship is something to keep you going. You build upon that relationship over time, maybe meeting up once a month or something similar and then, when you both feel comfortable enough, you could make the decision to move in with each other, either where you live or where they live. It's spontaneous, yeah, but that's the best part of it all - having a little excitement in your life and taking the biggest risk you could ever possibly make. Bear in mind I'm not a fan of internet relationsips.

mickice
08-16-2010, 12:47
I don't think it's a stupid thing to say at all. What's stupid is putting months into a virtual relationship to try and make it work. Like I said, you won't be able to do things that other couples can do and NEED to do, like go shopping together, go to the cinema, go for days out or just stay inside and watch a movie etc.

What I do, is give the cold harsh truth and not many people can accept my 'directness'. Maybe calling them failures at life was perhaps a bit TOO harsh.. but failure to see the facts about doing it is negligent imo.

Spot. On. Dude.

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 14:03

No, what you're giving is your opinion, not the truth. You can't possibly go up to a married couple with children who met and started a relationship online and tell them that they've failed at life.

To be honest. It depends on the circumstances.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 14:08
No, what you're giving is your opinion, not the truth. You can't possibly go up to a married couple with children who met and started a relationship online and tell them that they've failed at life.

To be honest. It depends on the circumstances.

True, but I'd certainly mention that 6/10 marriages fail ;)

Tyrien
08-16-2010, 14:19

Since when is are infatuation or love rational emotions?

Personally every online relationship I've found myself falling into I never sought. Not once did I go looking. I didn't sit on the computer and think I want someone and should use the internet to find it.

I casually met people and started to talk to them more and more. I'd tell myself every time that it's unrealistic and doesn't have much a chance of having a happy ending. The first time I wrote off to naivety. Every other time I found myself involved without realizing it, despite telling myself otherwise several times.

It's incredibly easy to act tough and rational by siding with statistics when you're not the one involved. That's just it though - you're not the one caught up in the infatuation.

Speaking from just facts every relationship is doomed to fail. Since this appears to be your philosophy why should anyone bother with a relationship?

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 14:25
True, but I'd certainly mention that 6/10 marriages fail ;)

And I'd certainly mention that 4/10 marriages succeed.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 14:30
Speaking from just facts every relationship is doomed to fail. Since this appears to be your philosophy why should anyone bother with a relationship?

Cuz yu getz puzzie :P

Arkano6 - Like what you did there lol

Tribunal
08-16-2010, 14:31
Cuz yu getz puzzie :Pl

You can get it without being in a relationship now and days.

SpyroViper
08-16-2010, 14:33
Elaborate.

What is the proper way?

The way we all got girls BEFORE the internet existed! By going outside * que shocked sound - DUM DUMMMM DDDDUUURRRRR*

Tribunal
08-16-2010, 14:37
The way we all got girls BEFORE the internet existed! By going outside * que shocked sound - DUM DUMMMM DDDDUUURRRRR*

lmao.

That's so incredibly vague.

Cuguy
08-16-2010, 14:43
nah.. edited...

don't want in this argument LOL

Tyrien
08-16-2010, 14:44
Cuz yu getz puzzie :P

Arkano6 - Like what you did there lol

Probably could have saved us both some time if you'd just said upfront that's the only reason you bother with dating.

Should have just said poon is all you care about, would have been faster.

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 14:44
You can get it without being in a relationship now and days.
Too true. Call me old fashioned, though, but I'd rather have sex with someone who I truly cared about. I hate those man-sl*gs who go out getting pissed purely for the sake of getting an easy lay. That's the road to all sorts of nasty crap, fellas.

And again, what if you're too scared/paranoid to go out? What about if you're the unsociable type and could never ever go up to some random girl and initiate a discussion, yet alone a relationship?

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 14:46
And again, what if you're too scared/paranoid to go out? What about if you're the unsociable type and could never ever go up to some random girl and initiate a discussion, yet alone a relationship?

Then by Spyro's logic you're a failure and should just end your life right here and now.

Tutankhamun
08-16-2010, 14:48
I really don't see how meeting a girl in a bar the first time is any different then meeting online?

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 14:49
I really don't see how meeting a girl in a bar the first time is any different then meeting online?

Especially if it's a virtual bar.

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 14:49
Then by Spyro's logic you're a failure and should just end your life right here and now.

****, *googles how to tie a noose*

Arkano6
08-16-2010, 14:51
****, *googles how to tie a noose*

Nice stealth edit there.

Tutankhamun
08-16-2010, 14:51

Then you have hit the jackpot.

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 14:53
Nice stealth edit there.

It takes years of skill, Years i tell you, YEAARSS!!!

*sigh* I am better off going to these aforementioned virtual bars...

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 15:00
Well in nature's way, you wouldn't mate, thus, not produce genitically inferior offspring..

Somethign the UK is wayyyy to full of ;)

Indeed, UK is full of genetically inferior offspring, that's why i can spell better than them. ;)

I'm convinced this guy is just trolling.

You know... for a guy who is a super moderator, you are not really good at this sort of things... ;)

Alt+F4 is the way forward.

I'll let you off this time, seeing as it was my fault :lol: Comatosed.

Tribunal
08-16-2010, 15:23
You know... for a guy who is a super moderator, you are not really good at this sort of things... ;)

I'm just saying, if he's offended any of you then go on and report it and I'll deal with it accordingly.

Other than that I don't see it really working out to well for him anyway.

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 15:33
Nope, not offended at all. I'm just standing around and poking around with no knowledge of subject at hand.

MedicDog
08-16-2010, 15:37
Even better. Let's incorporate Nazi ideology into our arguments.

Can you explain how it's "Nazi ideology" please?

If you're refering to Eugenics and Selective Breeding in humans, well they were thought up by an amercan in the 1900's before it became unpopular via the Nazi regime

Tutankhamun
08-16-2010, 15:38

If you're refering to Eugenics and Selective Breeding in humans, well they were thought up by an amercan in the 1900's before it became unpopular via the Nazi regime

Well, the Nazi's were the first (known) to implement it.

Tyrien
08-16-2010, 15:51

That doesn't change the fact that it's Nazi ideology. Original thought is not a requirement for adopting an ideology.

Lethal
08-16-2010, 16:01
When I was 19 I met a girl on the internet and we were together for nearly 3 years. Lucky for me she lived a few towns over. But we met back in 1999 on an AOL chat room. Internet dating works for some people and I do not see anything wrong with it. I wouldnt waste my time with someone living too far from me though. If I can not meet up with the person then its pretty pointless to me.

FallingBullets
08-16-2010, 16:09
I've known a few people off the internets to have successful relationships...I probably wouldnt do it myself, but meh

Comatosed
08-16-2010, 17:26
That's about 14 posts deleted, just leave it be now please.

Carry on.

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 18:11
Kyaw, man, what the hell you doing triple-posting in MY thread!?

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 18:31

¬¬

Comatosed
08-16-2010, 18:35

*puts up hands*

that was my fault, didn't notice I'd left him with a triple post after I deleted some stuff from in-between his posts :lol:

Icc
08-16-2010, 18:42
coma is being a failmin? what a world to come back to.

so internet dating, nothing wrong with it. one guy from my platoon actually met his wife online. it is kind of like going to a bar, see on the web you don't know what people look like just their personality because of that be anyone you want to be thing, just like a bar you don't know what people look like because of beer goggles and their personality is no worry because beer goggles work on ears to >.> <.<.

Jaeger
08-16-2010, 18:43
When I was 19 I met a girl on the internet and we were together for nearly 3 years. Lucky for me she lived a few towns over. But we met back in 1999 on an AOL chat room. Internet dating works for some people and I do not see anything wrong with it. I wouldnt waste my time with someone living too far from me though. If I can not meet up with the person then its pretty pointless to me.
Well, distance doesn't really come into it if you have really strong feelings for one another. It's merely an obstacle that can be overcome, like many of lifes problems. If you 'love' someone enough, nothing will stop you being together.

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 19:02
*puts up hands*

that was my fault, didn't notice I'd left him with a triple post after I deleted some stuff from in-between his posts :lol:

let me off? :O
im not the wrong doer here mister! ;)

Nelliel
08-16-2010, 19:13
Well, I had one around 4 years ago, she lives in London, and I live in Wigan, which is apparently 175 miles D: We were "seeing" each other for 1 and a half years before we stopped. We met up once or twice, had a nice time etc.. but from my experience long distance relationships are pretty much doomed to failure anyway, doesn't matter if you first met in person, or on the net.

Comatosed
08-16-2010, 19:15
let me off? :O
im not the wrong doer here mister! ;)

hey, it's not like you've never double posted ;)

enough now, get back on topic before I have to infract myself for derailment :lol:

Kyaw
08-16-2010, 19:26
hey, it's not like you've never double posted ;)

enough now, get back on topic before I have to infract myself for derailment :lol:

never i swear!!! :D
No go infract yourself or i will ask someone to.

welshfrankie
08-16-2010, 19:31
I think they can work if you do it right.

arfi-gorgona-O
08-17-2010, 15:25
Well, I had one around 4 years ago, she lives in London, and I live in Wigan, which is apparently 175 miles D: We were "seeing" each other for 1 and a half years before we stopped. We met up once or twice, had a nice time etc.. but from my experience long distance relationships are pretty much doomed to failure anyway, doesn't matter if you first met in person, or on the net.

In general yeah,i had two long distance relationships,the one lasted around 1,5 years.But she screwed it up after with her stupid mind :lol:
But the other is a lot better,the girl will leave her country and come to live with me real soon.

Seahawkk
08-17-2010, 17:46

I've never smoked, never done drugs, never been drunk, I do not have tattoos, I'm sincere, not to mention I'm a virgin and i have no problem with talking to girls, if anything girls this generation are starting to like nice guys.

NYFAN75
08-17-2010, 17:57
Well personally I met my wife back in Nov '98 in a chat room met in person Aug '99 and spent one day together in San Francisco ( I live in CA and she was in Alaska) spent a year conversing online and have now been together for 12yrs tomorrow and we have a beautiful 5yo daughter.

Would I do things differently?? Hell no because I think that time we spent talking we got to know each other and now have a great relationship. She is my lover and my best friend.

And to Spyro you are an idiot and I am glad you are banned. Just cause people go online to try and meet people does not mean they are failures. I have had countless relationships prior to my wife and never felt as connected to them as I do with my wife.

bash
08-18-2010, 20:38
"Love is a many splendored thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is... hold on, email." -- Anonymous

Since we can't presume all Engadget readers regularly attend their NPR All Things Considered listening parties, here's something you might've missed this week. In a segment on the growing trend in online matchmaking, Jennifer Ludden cited a research from Stanford University's Michael Rosenfeld that seems to fall in line exactly where we'd expect: it's really easy to be yourself and find matching partners when you have the ability to reach out to strangers who present so much personal information from the get-go. More specifically, the study found almost one-fourth of couples met online -- a number that jumps to 61 percent if you single out (no pun intended) same-sex couples -- and it's growing at a pace that it' "may soon become the No. 1 way Americans find a mate." For now, however, it's ranked second, just above meeting at bars / restaurants and below the classic, meeting through friends who just love tricking you into bad blind dates with the "great personality" line anyway. Make sure you have the right camera just in case.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/18/study-suggests-internet-will-become-number-one-matchmaker2/

Khemikal_Kid
08-21-2010, 12:49
I have met a couple of cool girls over the web,friended each other on facebook and I met one of them at Download festival, yet to meet the other one though. Funny thing is one lives in Ireland and the other lives in New Zealand.

I don't have a problem with internet realtionships as long as you know that they are a girl ;P

Cliché-Skating
08-22-2010, 17:00
Internet relationships are the single most pathetic, lamest thing i have ever heard of.

Go and interact with a someone face to face, not through a ****ing computer screen.

:D

Arkano6
08-22-2010, 17:32
Internet relationships are the single most pathetic, lamest thing i have ever heard of.

Go and interact with a someone face to face, not through a ****ing computer screen.

Video chat, duh.

Get with the times Cliche :roll:.

Cliché-Skating
08-22-2010, 17:43
Video chat, duh.

Get with the times Cliche :roll:.

Are you for real?

Video chat. Hahahaha... seriously, like i said talk to someone in person, not through a screen and to someone who lives on the other side of the world. How can anyone have a relationship like that.

You cant have feelings for someone you have never met and only seen on a computer monitor.

Staticneuron
08-22-2010, 17:46
Are you for real?

Video chat. Hahahaha... seriously, like i said talk to someone in person, not through a screen and to someone who lives on the other side of the world. How can anyone have a relationship like that.

You cant have feelings for someone you have never met and only seen on a computer monitor.

3 posts above yours is nyfan talked about how he met his current wife after having a relationship over the internet, so "can't" doesn't seem like an accurate term at all.

Jaeger
08-22-2010, 17:47
You can't have feelings for someone you have never met and only seen on a computer monitor.
Not true. I met my ex through a friend of a friend I met on MySpace (lulz, how long ago was that?I) and it was quite a while before we decided to meet up. Before that happened, though, we'd talk pretty much every night and, truth be told, it's amazing how close you can grow to someone even though you never met them. That all changes when you meet though, trust me. Never worked out for the best.

NYFAN75
08-22-2010, 20:44
Cliche your an idiot... and the mods can infract, ban, or warn me about not insulting but the thing is you will still be an idiot..

L1nux K1ng
08-22-2010, 21:02
Internet dating is fine. It can work with some people, end misrably for others. Internet dating isn't a thing I would try though, as I think seeing someone person to person is a lot more meaningful and better, rather than talking to them through a screen.

NYFAN75
08-22-2010, 21:25
Internet dating is fine. It can work with some people, end misrably for others. Internet dating isn't a thing I would try though, as I think seeing someone person to person is a lot more meaningful and better, rather than talking to them through a screen.

Well seeing someone in person is important because you have to be physically attracted to them as well as emoitionally. With that said it is also better to get know someone emotionally first (IMO) and have that part of the relationship as a stepping stone..

Like I said about my wife how she is my best friend as well as my lover and I could not ask for any more than that..

Cliché-Skating
08-22-2010, 22:07
Cliche your an idiot... and the mods can infract, ban, or warn me about not insulting but the thing is you will still be an idiot..

Lol k.

DarkVincent07
08-23-2010, 07:21
I've recently met a girl at a family thing (she isnt family - lol) and have been communicating building a relationship of sorts over the internet. This was only a week ago, but I plan top meet up soon (she lives an hour away)

thats as far as i would go.... to 'meet' someone online, never

FallingBullets
08-23-2010, 08:53
congrats mr vincent....good luck

Metal King Slime
08-23-2010, 17:39

... coming from someone who made over 7,200 posts in a year and a half. :roll:

Cuguy
08-23-2010, 17:43
I met my wife 9 years ago in Yahoo Chat.. we have been married for nearly 6 yrs now...

Internet relationships have as much of a chance as any to succeed IMO

NYFAN75
08-23-2010, 18:01
I met my wife 9 years ago in Yahoo Chat.. we have been married for nearly 6 yrs now...

Internet relationships have as much of a chance as any to succeed IMO

^^ This!!!!!!!!

Like I stated earlier my wife and I have been together nearly 12yrs and have been married over 5...

Jaeger
08-23-2010, 18:09
... coming from someone who made over 7,200 posts in a year and a half.
I'm not that different from him, bully.

On a serious note, it's cool to hear how many people have found love through the internet. Just goes to prove people like Cliché wrong - you don't need to be an 'ardman and have a social life busier than a hooker at nerd camp to get a girlfriend. Ideally, going out and finding love is more practical but there's nothing wrong with meeting Ms. Right on the net, just as long as you're sure she is Ms. Right.

FallingBullets
08-23-2010, 18:15
...but there's nothing wrong with meeting Ms. Right on the net, just as long as you're sure she is a woman

fixed :snicker

Jaeger
08-23-2010, 18:20
If that's how you roll, fair play to you. I personally would never go near a married woman. I wouldn't appreciate it if my wife (unlikely to happen because, after this sucky relationship, I never want to get married...) cheated on me with some other man, so I'd respect all other men and not play with what's not mine.

Seahawkk
08-23-2010, 18:22

This kids stealing my thunder!

NYFAN75
08-23-2010, 21:01
If that's how you roll, fair play to you. I personally would never go near a married woman. I wouldn't appreciate it if my wife (unlikely to happen because, after this sucky relationship, I never want to get married...) cheated on me with some other man, so I'd respect all other men and not play with what's not mine.

Jaeger I think what he meant was to make sure that Ms. Right was an actual missus... Not as in married but as in an actual female...:lol:

FallingBullets
08-23-2010, 21:11
nyfan got it... sorry for the confusion *sigh*

Jaeger
08-23-2010, 21:20
Well, that's what I meant in my original post about Ms. Right being Ms. Right,

This thread is just full of confusingness, lulz.

Xraein
08-24-2010, 20:55
Oh I don't know. The people you meet on the internet can be better than the people in real life. I mean if that person you like live near you or in the same country as you and you both like each other than yeah I'm with it, but once again it's all defends on how you feel about that person. I mean like I'm ok with internet friends but internet relationship is kinda a little hard. You need your BF/GF close to you. I mean how can I feel the love through the Laptop screen and the keyboard? anyway this is my opinion and what I think.

FallingBullets
08-24-2010, 21:21
Well, that's what I meant in my original post about Ms. Right being Ms. Right,

This thread is just full of confusingness, lulz.

I was inciting the fact that many 'women' on the internet are turn to be mans..

-Shafty-
08-24-2010, 21:22

or worse still... they turn out to be you :snicker

FallingBullets
08-24-2010, 21:24
or worse still... they turn out to be you :snicker

thankfully, I have yet to pose as a woman and attempt to seduce anyone :snicker

-Shafty-
08-24-2010, 21:32
thankfully, I have yet to pose as a woman and attempt to seduce anyone :snicker

if anybody could master it it would be you :snicker

manutdfan
08-24-2010, 21:48
I can understand trying to get laid using Facebook or something and meeting them in your local city centre/town when out drinking with mates.

But apart from that its a bit sad IMO.

Jaeger
08-25-2010, 08:56
That's what I was doing. Read the post.

FallingBullets
08-25-2010, 09:00
oh I took that as her actually being your ms Rite