PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda Knew About Skyrim PS3 Issues Pre-Release

Nuvian
02-16-2012, 16:23
Thought that only a "small percentage" would be affected.

Speaking to Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5885358/why-skyrim-didnt-play-nice-with-the-ps3) at the DICE summit in LA last week, Bethesda's Todd Howard has admitted that the publisher was aware of problems with the PS3 version of Skyrim before release, but thought that "only a small percentage" of players would be affected.

"The way our dynamic stuff and our scripting works, it's obvious it gets in situations where it taxes the PS3. And we felt we had a lot of it under control," Howard said, speaking about what he calls the "bad memory situation" on the platform. The intention, he goes on to explain, was to fix the game post-release, after developers noticed problems and were unable to tweak the code enough to solve them in time for the planned release date on 11th November last year.

The fact that people at Bethesda were aware of this so-called "bad memory situation" on PS3 before release and chose to release the game anyway, knowing that a percentage of PS3 players would encounter major problems, is pretty shocking – but the plan to fix things with a patch post-release should have rescued the publisher from controversy if things had gone to plan. When November's patch 1.2 did not fix the game for PS3 players, Bethesda went all-out to solve the problem, getting players to submit their individual save files and studying them prior to the release of patch 1.4 this month.

Howard reckons that PS3 issues should finally be fixed now, but he's cautious in his assertions. "Now that we've been through this, we're not naive enough to say, 'We have seen everything,' because we have to assume we haven't. There are still going to be some people who have to come back to us and say, 'Ok, my situation is this.' [We say:] 'OK, send us your saved game.' We literally need to look at what you have running… We need to open the saved game comes up and look at it."

It's easy to say that Bethesda should have delayed the release of the PlayStation 3 version of Skyrim until the developer was able to fix these known problems, but it's equally easy to see why that didn't happen. From Bethesda's point of view, delaying the release on one platform only could have angered the majority of PS3 gamers more than releasing a game with problems that only a "small percentage" of players would encounter - especially when the assumption was that these problems could be fixed quickly and easily with a post-release patch.

That assumption backfired, of course. It's obvious that Bethesda did not know (and could not have known) the extent of the problem until the game was out in the wild being played by millions of individual players with individual play habits.

"For certain users it literally depends on how they play the game, varied over a hundred hours and literally what spells they use. Did they go in this building?" explains Howard. "It's literally the things you've done in what order and what's running. Some of the things are literally what spells do you have hot-keyed? Because, as you switch to them, they handle memory differently."

Source (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218881p1.html)
:pissed:

F34R
02-16-2012, 16:29
That's the problem with the ability to patch things post-release. Devs get caught up in these release windows, etc., and when they can't make it work, they release it anyways.

plustheharm
02-16-2012, 16:37
Sadly, Beth isn't the only one to push a game out with known issues this gen. Been a constant complaint I've heard of from Day 1. Not that it makes this particular case less of an issue than others, but one of these issues was seen with Fallout and they didn't seem to make much of a move to address it. :-|

Thorzilla
02-16-2012, 17:01
That's why Bethesda will never see a dime from me on day 1. When they can release a bug free game or at least one that doesn't have game breaking bugs, then I'll buy.

Sylar
02-16-2012, 17:16
That's pretty shocking, I doubt I'll going for any more 1st day releases from them in the future!

Metal King Slime
02-16-2012, 17:37
Well, it's a little unrealistic to expect a bug-free game for one as large as Skyrim. But I do think that it would be a wise move to wait a little while before purchasing future titles from the development studio. I wouldn't be angry if they chose to delay their games either. Play something else while you wait.

*goo
02-16-2012, 17:39
Bethesda telling us what we already knew. Their track-record is less than stellar which is the single reason why I personally see their games as good but never being great.

daLa
02-16-2012, 17:42
So regardless of most Bethesda games being as good as they are, this speaks badly of them and makes me feel like they're not a worthy company, like a game company I rather not trust.

Nuvian
02-16-2012, 18:51
DiCE and Bethesda are some of the worst when it comes to unpolished AAA titles in my opinion, and yet we still buy those games.

mynd
02-16-2012, 19:03
Well the other option was to delay the PS3 verison only, I'm not sure people would have liked that.

Equinoqs
02-16-2012, 19:26
Welcome to today's gaming environment.

Admartian
02-16-2012, 19:49
Threats to boycott in 3..2..1... :roll:

TGO
02-16-2012, 19:53
PS3 memory problems uh, ya know if it can be fixed its not a PS3 problem, just a unfinished game

Sent from my Xperia Ray

Chark
02-16-2012, 20:15
I just hope they and other developers/publishers walk away with, "Oh man we should have dedicated our efforts equally among platforms. It would have saved us a lot of money on patches and sales." instead of, "PS3 is hard to develop for and it doesn't sell as much software." Please devs, in the future, don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

Inzane2050
02-16-2012, 20:39
Well the othe roption was ot delay the PS3 verison only, Im not sure people would have liked that.

And even this would possibly be impossible given if they games have already been distributed. A post release patch would be the only option at that point. All in all, I'm glad the release wasn't delayed.

mynd
02-16-2012, 20:43
PS3 memory problems uh, ya know if it can be fixed its not a PS3 problem, just a unfinished game

Sent from my Xperia Ray

Computer game development isnt as easy as walking down the street and buying the game.
It's a very complex process.
Im sure they could have easily solved the memory issues by cutting features out of the PS3 version, which wouldnt have made anyone happy.

Bigdoggy
02-16-2012, 20:44
Bethesda proved on the PC they half ass even PC games. Some people may be stunned by me saying this, but I find KoA more enjoyable for some strange reason, not only that, but if another Oblivion game comes out, I'm skipping it, I'll get the one after that one. lol

While I do like their games, I just didn't care much for skyrim. New things they added to Skyrim could have been done a lot better and more variety within "said" new things in that game. The marriage thing was nothing more then a gimmick which they could have excuted A LOT better and that isn't all either, there is a lot more in skyrim that made me say "meh".

Soldier 95B
02-16-2012, 20:45
Well, it's a little unrealistic to expect a bug-free game for one as large as Skyrim.

I disagree. I don't care if it is a 50mb Pac-man $5 download title or a $60 retail release. They should ONLY be selling us a product that works, and works properly.

That is the worst thing this generation. Bandaiding of our games and experiences.

F34R
02-16-2012, 20:54
I disagree. I don't care if it is a 50mb Pac-man $5 download title or a $60 retail release. They should ONLY be selling us a product that works, and works properly.

That is the worst thing this generation. Bandaiding of our games and experiences.

That's very unrealistic.... I doubt you'll find a single piece of software in todays world that is bug free.

mynd
02-16-2012, 20:57

Easier to do if your only targeting one platform.
Much harder to do when your targeting multiple platforms.
Perhaps another case of lead with the PS3 then port to the rest.

Soldier 95B
02-16-2012, 21:05
That's very unrealistic.... I doubt you'll find a single piece of software in todays world that is bug free.

That is not my problem, that is the developer problem. Just because it happens doesn't make it acceptable.

F34R
02-16-2012, 21:08
I didn't say it was acceptable. However, it isn't a realistic scenario though. I don't think there are ANY game that don't have bugs in them. Maybe if we're talking about "game breaking" bugs, then I'd agree to an extent.

Fenix
02-16-2012, 21:08
Skyrim was still an enjoyable game, and I put over 120 hours into it before I hit the issue. That, to me, is great money per hour of entertainement. I never once regretted my purchase day 1.

Soldier 95B
02-16-2012, 21:14
Maybe if we're talking about "game breaking" bugs, then I'd agree to an extent.

Well, I say even more than just game breaking. But here or there...if you are talking game breaking, clearly this Skyrim bug is?

F34R
02-16-2012, 21:18
I don't think you can realistically expect games to be bug free. Is there a game that is bug/glitch free? If you believe the posts complaining about the bug in Skyrim on the PS3, it sounds as it would fit the bill. I don't personally know as my son bought the game on the 360 for him.

Soldier 95B
02-16-2012, 21:20
Well, I want them with SUBSTANTIALLY less bugs, realistic or not. But it will never happen, so meh. No biggie.

Admartian
02-16-2012, 21:29
I didn't say it was acceptable. However, it isn't a realistic scenario though. I don't think there are ANY game that don't have bugs in them. Maybe if we're talking about "game breaking" bugs, then I'd agree to an extent.

I agree.

There are bugs in anything. Yes, even Apple shite. To expect none is rather unrealistic. At least witht the technology we have.

Plus there are so many things to consider when programming pretty much anything these days.

PS4freak
02-16-2012, 21:58
What a surprise. They have been releasing unfinished/buggy products for years now. You think they didn't know that it had problems before hand. Nope.

Two4DaMoney
02-16-2012, 23:55
I knew it had issues before launch also:lol:

Idk if I'll ever purchase a game from them. I want to at times but I wait for patches to come but they get here too late if at all. I'm not really into rpg games so I'll just move on to other titles because there is no longer a drought by the time things are fixed.

PS4freak
02-17-2012, 00:33
I knew it had issues before launch also:lol:

Idk if I'll ever purchase a game from them. I want to at times but I wait for patches to come but they get here too late if at all. I'm not really into rpg games so I'll just move on to other titles because there is no longer a drought by the time things are fixed.

Same here. I love their games when you can play them for more than an hour at a time without getting a bug. No sarcasm there either. I was doing good if I played Fallout 3 for more than an hour without a bug.

Oatmeal
02-17-2012, 00:59
I'm glade I didn't buy Skyrim and went with Rage. If it wasn't for ID Soft developing Rage I wouldn't have gotten it. Rage biggest problem is texture pop in.

keefy
02-17-2012, 01:14
I can live with bugs that are annoying as long as the gameplay is good. I played HL2DM for 7 years and anyone that knows that game knows how bug filled and unsupported it is.

AsuraOkami
02-17-2012, 02:56
Not surprised at this really. No game is perfect but i think they should of been more cautious with it. A friend of mine purposely stopped when he got to certain point in the game because of it.

SomaXD
02-17-2012, 08:14
And even this would possibly be impossible given if they games have already been distributed. A post release patch would be the only option at that point. All in all, I'm glad the release wasn't delayed.

Right because its okay to release a game they admitted to being completely bug riddled. who cares we have to wait for them to patch it... as long as they made their day 1 sales... they couldnt care less. in fact we still had to wait an additional 3 months for it to be "sort of" fixed. Admit it. the game was broken, they knew it, but shoved it in our faces because they knew suckers and retards would eat it up. There is absolutely no difference between releasing a shit ass broken game one day... and making us wait for a semi-fixed game 3months later... Just proves Bethesda doesnt give a fuck about you or me as gamers. Id rather they delayed the game and have it work (i havent play Skyrim since it started fucking up @80hours back in december... so whats the difference?) This isnt a fucking PC game i paid for... i bought my consoles because it used to mean the most stable and bug-free platform for gaming... Enjoy your constant patches that claim to fix the game (but dont really do anything asadie from amking you feel like its a "little" better.

These Devs are lazy as shit... and all this should have been worked out before release... end of story. I guess im glad to know people like to buy broken launch games... just proves no one truly has standards anymore.

F34R
02-17-2012, 08:27
Here's a solution - DON'T BUY THEIR GAMES.....

It isn't like this is the first game they've released with issues.

FireSol
02-17-2012, 08:29
That's why Bethesda will never see a dime from me on day 1. When they can release a bug free game or at least one that doesn't have game breaking bugs, then I'll buy.

this is tradition!! all their games since first TES was buggy on release)))

Inzane2050
02-17-2012, 08:53
Right because its okay to release a game they admitted to being completely bug riddled. who cares we have to wait for them to patch it... as long as they made their day 1 sales... they couldnt care less.
Well if that's true, then why did they patch the game in the first place if they only cared about Day One sales?... See the hole I poked in your logic there?

Anyways, people need to understand that Skyrim is a massive game. And to find and fix all of the bugs in such a massive came is not very possible as there are a lot of nooks and crannies and bugs may only occur 1 out of 10 times, and yet you are asking them spend +120x10 hours to look thru the entire game and all of the side quests and goodies to find these bugs?... Better to let the audience find the less obvious ones for them instead of wasting massive amounts of money to do it prior to release. It's a good price for us to pay to play such a massive game. No other RPG touches what Elder Scrolls does in terms of scale and playability.

TGO
02-17-2012, 08:57
Computer game development isnt as easy as walking down the street and buying the game.
It's a very complex process.
Im sure they could have easily solved the memory issues by cutting features out of the PS3 version, which wouldnt have made anyone happy.

Considering it was fixed with a patch (according to them) why would features need cutting?
See cuz the problem was fixable it becomes a problem with the way the developer shipped the final product on PS3, I ain't just pointing my finger at the skyrim devs, all devs this gen have got lazy, the product you release represents your company, it don't matter if it's can be fixed later or it ok on a different system, as a developer you are expected to deliver a quality product that is expected from your company by customers, and that's the way anybody should look at it, you don't pass the blame on when you could of done something about it, this ain't the 80's and we ain't playing Mario, we ain't kids, thou it seems this gen everyone is.

What makes me laugh is most of these bug ridden games have a shit load of game testers lol

Sent from my Xperia Ray

TOM2x
02-17-2012, 13:13
Well, considering I have over 120 hours into the game, I forgive them. The game is amazing, and this is coming from a person who has run into several broken quests (Which were fixed with the patches), and even the backwards flying dragon!! It was funny but annoying. But it has been fixed. The only other thing I ran into was some lag after downloading the latest patch, but it went away as they said it would after saving and reloading/restarting the game. I continue to have a great time with it each night and I haven't seen any more bugs so far. Plus, considering the amount of time I put in, this would easily eclipse most of the run times of about 10 other titles I've purchased (All triple A as well), so a few problems is beside the point as far as I'm concerned. Hope they keep up the patches and get some DLC out there soon!!

Bigdoggy
02-17-2012, 14:16

It's the first game they released where if you get past a 10mb save file the game practically is unplayable. framerate drops down past 15fps.

*goo
02-17-2012, 16:54

True on both counts but that doesn't excuse the release of something that was essentially broken.

The main problem (as I see it) is consumers accept the issues for the best part. There's no incentive to hold the game back and put it out when it's working as well as it could. Consumers need to vote with their wallet if these issues are to change.

Personally, my stance is if it's not working properly it shouldn't be released. Thankfully, I've only ever had to send back two games that were just broken. Those were:

Race Driver: GRID
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I did take a flutter on Skyrim a month or so later when I got the chance of a cheap copy. Glad I did as after 1.4 I'm now back playing it on PS3.

plustheharm
02-17-2012, 17:21
It's the first game they released where if you get past a 10mb save file the game practically is unplayable. framerate drops down past 15fps.

Have a character with a 14MB save file and it never got that bad. I could play 4 hours with a relaunch of the game in the middle of that time and it was more than bearable. Hell, I copped the platinum trophy before the latest patch. Think I would have done that if the game was practically unplayable?

I'm glade I didn't buy Skyrim and went with Rage. If it wasn't for ID Soft developing Rage I wouldn't have gotten it. Rage biggest problem is texture pop in.

Oh, so that game has issues too?

*yawn*

Games launch with issues. I'd bet the farm that Beth isn't the first to continue with a release knowing a game has some bugs. I have played more games this gen that had bugs / issues day one than those that didn't.

Maybe I should just stop buying video games.

Somebody write a letter. (https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml)

F34R
02-17-2012, 20:46

Sure, but it isn't the first buggy game they've released. I'm not sure here but there wasn't any indication that their track record was going to be broken in that aspect. If anyone had any reservations about the quality assurance aspect of the release, they probably should have waited to buy it.

Treefrog
02-17-2012, 21:19
Well hopefully Bethesda will be able to roll many of the fixes into the engine, so the next Fallout is good from the off.

Fingers crossed it is, to be fair they have usually fixed the games up into a playable state and id be kidding my self to not buy the next fallout.

The only other game that had a game stopping bug was Assassins Creed 2, though 4 weeks later ubisoft managed to fix that bug.

Univac
02-18-2012, 05:25
Sure, but it isn't the first buggy game they've released. I'm not sure here but there wasn't any indication that their track record was going to be broken in that aspect. If anyone had any reservations about the quality assurance aspect of the release, they probably should have waited to buy it.

This^^^. Since Oblivion, I've not purchased, new or used, a single game from them. 15 years in tech - I hate bugs. Their bugs tend to really impact game play, so for my sanity, I avoid them. Nice to know buggy code can still be game of the year.

1261shaun
02-18-2012, 08:33
i knew that bethesda had released skyrim unfinished after a few hours of playing it, so i sold it, and i will not be buying anymore more of there games, although i still love fallout 3, probably there best game of this gen.

Bigdoggy
02-18-2012, 16:20
Have a character with a 14MB save file and it never got that bad. I could play 4 hours with a relaunch of the game in the middle of that time and it was more than bearable. Hell, I copped the platinum trophy before the latest patch. Think I would have done that if the game was practically unplayable?

Oh, so that game has issues too?

*yawn*

Games launch with issues. I'd bet the farm that Beth isn't the first to continue with a release knowing a game has some bugs. I have played more games this gen that had bugs / issues day one than those that didn't.

Maybe I should just stop buying video games.

Somebody write a letter. (https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml)

oh no, someone had some negatives to say about Skyrim. Everyone had the problem, the difference here was that some people chose to play through it compared to others and that's fine. But don't sit there and tell me you didn't have problems and you had a 14mb save file, I already call BS on that because this issue wasn't only on certain people o.O honest to pete.

plustheharm
02-18-2012, 17:51
Hey now, I admitted that there were bugs. I had a broken quest line just like many others. God forbid someone doesn't want to act like it's the end of the world. Yeah, I had to save and relaunch after about 2 hours, it was clockwork ... walk right into Whiterun and it would get bad, at times it was worse than others. Was it nearly unplayable? No.

So no, I won't sit here and say I never had problems ... I'm not sure where you got that impression. My point; the lag wasn't a deal breaker for me. Wasn't a deal breaker for many. But, believe that ... 14MB save file and I was still moving right along. Believe it, because it's true. Did I suggest I didn't see lag? No, I admitted that I had and I admitted that I had to quit the game and relaunch just like others did.

Please don't take my post and try to turn it into something else. Maybe read it again? I acknowledged the game had issues, admitted the game wasn't perfect. But this whole, "I will never support them with my moneyz again! This is an outrage!" Yes, it sucks they went ahead and pushed the game knowing it had issues ... they aren't the first, that's a fact. I was simply saying this probably happens more often than people want to admit to ... and if we all stopped buying games because the last one they did had bugs, well, we wouldn't be playing video games.

Seems to be the theme of this gen. Push a game out, worry about squashing bugs down the line. Sorry, but it's true.

-edit-

And I know Bethesda has a poor track record in this regard, so if that is something you are aware of then maybe you need to reconsider buying the game. There is a reason they sling as many games as they do, there is a reason they have a faithful following. Fallout 3 had some insane bugs. Did that stop people from playing it? Nah.