PDA

View Full Version : PS3: Ask a Question

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96

SDiablo123
12-30-2007, 23:42
Well, i dunno, ill wait till i get my computer cleaned, beacuse it sounds like u have NO idea what ur talkin bout ( on my post bout the virus into the PS3 )

Zodia
12-30-2007, 23:53
So anyone know if there's some sort of eject feature for usb flash drives? I'm kind of nervous about just removing it from the port. I always pull out and insert them with the PS3 on and to date i haven't had any kind of problems, with USB hard disc drives, i would be a bit more careful, as these tend to corrupt easier.I already did this with the original WD USB HDD (lesson learned), so i had to buy a second one, it didn't corrupt the disc itself, but it got to a point where it wouldn't shutdown when the PS3 shutdown it always stayed on, and i would have to unplug the power supply from the USB HDD.

tuaamin13
12-30-2007, 23:58
Well, i dunno, ill wait till i get my computer cleaned, beacuse it sounds like u have NO idea what ur talkin bout ( on my post bout the virus into the PS3 )

No, I do know what I'm talking about, if I did not appear to it's just because it's difficult to explain.

1) For a virus to run on the PS3 it has to be an accepted file format.
2) Even if it's in the acceptable format, it has to be able to run on the PS3 operating system
+Say you're running PS3 Linux, that'd be a very small chance of getting a virus
+If you're not, that's an even smaller chance of the virus working because nobody has hacked the PS3 yet (to my knowledge), so a virus is sort of out of the question at this point.
3) Also, how does the virus replicate? Does it send out emails to everyone in your address book? If so, then your PS3 is safe. I don't see how it'd transfer itself over a network, but if it did then #2 applies.

So there's an extremely small possibility of the PS3 getting a virus. I'm talking miniscule. You'd probably have better odds winning the lotter and getting struck by lightning.

EDIT: I just looked back, there was also another person who said it was fine also. I said no, but maybe some small chance, and the other person said flat out no. So what are you arguing with?

rickyp
12-31-2007, 02:34
Hey everyone, I'm new here, so be nice.

I just bought a 500gig WD SATA2 HD and put it inside a Coolermaster ext hd enclosure so I could use it with the PS3 via USB. I have formatted it to FAT32 and it has its own power supply, but it is not detected at all by the PS3, someone please help me, my family are getting pissed off that I spent their money on something that doesnt work :p

Any help will be much appreciated.

zeon9881
12-31-2007, 03:10
whats Linux, how do i install it, what does it do?

i heard somewhere you had format your hardrive for linux if this is true i dont wanno loose all my gamesaves, demoes,videos is their a way around it

spike47
12-31-2007, 03:13
question:

Haze or Burnout?

Haze sounds ultra cool but somehow I like FPs games just like racing games maybe Haze will be another story.

I've been playing the burnout demo and between that and my new Madden 08 game i've played the burnout demo twice as much as madden not to mention I don't play more of it because sometimes the connection sucks.

Like right now. lol

So which might be better, Haze or burnout?

paintba||er
12-31-2007, 03:40
whats Linux, how do i install it, what does it do?

i heard somewhere you had format your hardrive for linux if this is true i dont wanno loose all my gamesaves, demoes,videos is their a way around it

Its an (excellent) operating system. Like Windows, or Mac. I'm not sure if there is a way around formating your HDD since the PS3 has too little RAM to justify me installing it.

zeon9881
12-31-2007, 03:43
lol what are you doing here paint?

anyways

im gonna go ahead and see to the formating part ill bethinking about it in my corner

spike47
12-31-2007, 03:55
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fricken *******s!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAp!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just had it with my fricken psn connection issues.

I have no idea wether it is my network settings or my service.

excuse me guys I'm gonna go call Brighthouse and curse out the manager plus tell a bucnh of my freinds that bright house sucks.

When I look at my router the lght that saids send is not flashing which means the internet is not working that well or is not working at all.

I wanna change to directtv but my parents say no or just to wait.

Crap I can't take this anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuaamin13
12-31-2007, 04:01
You know, normally I don't recommend Blockbuster (or other video rental places that charge you like $7 for a game), but in your case it might be worth it. You know how Burnout plays, so you might...

emacs
12-31-2007, 05:00
I have no idea wether it is my network settings or my service.

are your PS3 network settings configured for wireless or Ethernet? if it's wireless one thing you can try is see whether you get reliable connectivity via Ethernet instead. you don't need your PS3 for this, just a notebook or desktop computer is fine.

for me, i had network drops because my LinkSys WRT54G gateway (i.e., router + access point) was acting up. although it's happening far less frequently now i once had to change the channel / frequency because of conflicts with other wireless access points nearby.

SDiablo123
12-31-2007, 05:37
No, I do know what I'm talking about, if I did not appear to it's just because it's difficult to explain.

1) For a virus to run on the PS3 it has to be an accepted file format.
2) Even if it's in the acceptable format, it has to be able to run on the PS3 operating system
+Say you're running PS3 Linux, that'd be a very small chance of getting a virus
+If you're not, that's an even smaller chance of the virus working because nobody has hacked the PS3 yet (to my knowledge), so a virus is sort of out of the question at this point.
3) Also, how does the virus replicate? Does it send out emails to everyone in your address book? If so, then your PS3 is safe. I don't see how it'd transfer itself over a network, but if it did then #2 applies.

So there's an extremely small possibility of the PS3 getting a virus. I'm talking miniscule. You'd probably have better odds winning the lotter and getting struck by lightning.

EDIT: I just looked back, there was also another person who said it was fine also. I said no, but maybe some small chance, and the other person said flat out no. So what are you arguing with?

Ok, sorry its just that, i REALLY dont want ANOTHER console to get ruined in this house, that'd be like 1k down the drain
Theres this comper bout, $500 and the XBox360 $500 (if it got ruined)
And i JUST got the PS3 on x-mas

SDiablo123
12-31-2007, 05:48
Sorry for double post and this goes to my Post ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To tuaamin13, cant i just like, do the Back-up Hard Drive thingy if the SMALL possible chance the virus does come on the PS3

soap
12-31-2007, 06:27
I am having a problem with my HDMI cables.. I have a Psyclone 6.6 feet 1.3a cable, the picture is amazing, but sometimes my sound gets staticy (going from the main playstation screen to the game screen for one), during movies, and games occassionally.. I don't think its the cable; what should my audio output settings be on? Linear PCM 2 Ch. or Linear PCM 5.1 Ch.. which one is the best to put it on?

thanks

hockeydude30
12-31-2007, 06:28
Do you have a receiver that you are hooking it up to because if not then the 2 ch.

Womble
12-31-2007, 10:10
Does anybody have this network cable :
http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Accessory/~r330437/GAMEware-PlayStation-3-Network-Cable/

If so does it work good ? or do any cables work well ?

kingofnynexx
12-31-2007, 13:23
I just bought a white ps3 dual shock controller ...but i only have
three games transfomers, fifa 08 and rain bow six las vegas ....what i want to know is what games does the controller rumble with cus it dosent rumble with rainbow six or fifa 08

skrilla
12-31-2007, 15:35
Can anyone name a good headset around the 20-25 dollar price range, thanks.

Takezo-x
12-31-2007, 16:10
Can the PS3 use SATA2 HDD's? (SATA2 (3gb) Hard drive's).

I plan on buying a new HDD for my PS3 of at least 250gb. Which HDD company's make the best HDD's?

Plus, when are 250gb+ 7200rpm 2.5" hard-drives gonna hit? Anybody know?

Thanks

akbar
12-31-2007, 16:28
I got my ps3, am so happy finally :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D - continuing my other questions
11) Why is it that firmware cannot be rolled back - to lower versions ie. i dunt think there is any logical use but why cant we or can we ?
12) What happens of power goes while firmware upgrades - how to recover ? any other precautions so my PS3 doesnt go dead while making updates
13) How much does DualShock3 controller cost and where can i buy
14) I want to make the following wireless network for my PS3 - I dunt have wireless modem/router, but have a laptop with WiFi connected always (wired) via ethernet cable to my modem. I want to setup my laptop to act as proxy/ wireless router to my PS3. Can someone walkthru for me the steps/software n settings needed for this ?
15) How do i backup any downloaded game demos, game trailers
16) I have COD4 - but not able to use my motion sensing - How do i enable it ?Plz Can someone answer this - this got lost 3 pages back ;( , Thanks in advance (also thanks to tuamin for his earlier responses)[/quote]

bahamot
12-31-2007, 17:09
A quick question, is it true that disc not recognized issues were largely occurred after upgraded to firmware >= 2.xx ? The reason I'm asking is that, I was really closed to upgraded the firmware, but all the reading pulled me back ...
What made it worst is I can't claimed the warranty as I bought mine overseas.

spike47
12-31-2007, 17:48
Well, I have it in wireless.

How do u connect it via ethernet with a desktop?

Right now the connection is at 15 percent at the status in network settings.

To be honest I don't know where to start.

I don't know what connection I should use or whatever.

SDiablo123
12-31-2007, 19:15
Hello?do u know if it does go onto the PS3 cant i just use the Restore thingy in the Settings?

tuaamin13
12-31-2007, 20:05
Does anybody have this network cable :
http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Accessory/~r330437/GAMEware-PlayStation-3-Network-Cable/ (http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/Hardware/Accessory/%7Er330437/GAMEware-PlayStation-3-Network-Cable/)

If so does it work good ? or do any cables work well ?

That's an ethernet patch cable? You just need any Cat5e or Cat6 cable (Cat6 if you have a gigabit ethernet switch/router). Any one will work. I don't know how long that one is to tell you if it's a good price.

Can the PS3 use SATA2 HDD's? (SATA2 (3gb) Hard drive's).

I plan on buying a new HDD for my PS3 of at least 250gb. Which HDD company's make the best HDD's?

Plus, when are 250gb+ 7200rpm 2.5" hard-drives gonna hit? Anybody know?

Thanks
I thought SATA 3gpbs was backwards compatible with SATA1.5 gbps.

Why do you want a 7200rpm drive? There's marginal performance increase (<1 second off most load times). Just get the WD 320gb one that just came out. It'd probably be the same price as the 250gb 7200.

I got my ps3, am so happy finally :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D - continuing my other questions
11) Why is it that firmware cannot be rolled back - to lower versions ie. i dunt think there is any logical use but why cant we or can we ?
12) What happens of power goes while firmware upgrades - how to recover ? any other precautions so my PS3 doesnt go dead while making updates
13) How much does DualShock3 controller cost and where can i buy
14) I want to make the following wireless network for my PS3 - I dunt have wireless modem/router, but have a laptop with WiFi connected always (wired) via ethernet cable to my modem. I want to setup my laptop to act as proxy/ wireless router to my PS3. Can someone walkthru for me the steps/software n settings needed for this ?
15) How do i backup any downloaded game demos, game trailers
16) I have COD4 - but not able to use my motion sensing - How do i enable it ?Plz Can someone answer this - this got lost 3 pages back ;( , Thanks in advance (also thanks to tuamin for his earlier responses)[/quote]
11) We can't roll back the firmware. That's something Sony techs have to do. It's to stop people from doing crap with like the iphone or hacking the system.
12) If the power goes, there's a chance your system will still work. It depends on if anything important was getting overwritten when the power went out. If you're worried about your power grid, get a Uninterruptable power supply. They're like $30+ USD (depending on capacity), and can give you enough backup power (if you have the PS3 only on it) to get through the firmware update, or until the power comes back on.
13) It's like $55 or $60 USD + Shipping to import from Japan to the States (Play-Asia). It should be available for retail in Q1 next year.
14) Same with the other guy, you need to connect your PS3 to the laptop with the wireless, and have it setup to let the PS3 connect to the internet via the laptop's internet connection. I don't know exactly how to do this.
15) Trailers, movies, music, and game saves can be copied to a flash drive, memory card, or external harddrive. Demos you can just re-download.
16) I wasn't aware CoD4 had motion sensing, and I've been playing it for the past 3 days. Check the manual?

A quick question, is it true that disc not recognized issues were largely occurred after upgraded to firmware >= 2.xx ? The reason I'm asking is that, I was really closed to upgraded the firmware, but all the reading pulled me back ...
What made it worst is I can't claimed the warranty as I bought mine overseas.
The Firmware doesn't brick the systems. If it did, we'd all be sitting here with broken systems. It's just happenstance that people who had a faulty drive ended up having it crash after updating firmware. If you look, there's reports after 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 (etc). Anyhow to go online you need the most recent firmware.

Well, I have it in wireless.

How do u connect it via ethernet with a desktop?
Right now the connection is at 15 percent at the status in network settings.

To be honest I don't know where to start.

I don't know what connection I should use or whatever.
I *think* the option is under the network wizard on Windows XP. There's a few illustrations of how the computer is connected. I don't know any more than that.

Hello?do u know if it does go onto the PS3 cant i just use the Restore thingy in the Settings?

Yes, system restore would wipe the drive to factory settings. You can do that or Format drive (full). That takes a few hours though.

Tj Khun Khuna
12-31-2007, 21:51
heyy does the ps3 40 gb or the six axis controllers have any bluetooth compatability??? if so could i connect it with my macbook which also has bluetooth ??

eternal_loyal
12-31-2007, 21:55
hey guys iam thinking to buy ps3 but to be honest the only reason will be metal gear 4 and gta4 so now actually in my oponion there is no stronge reason to buy it??so i think if i will be patient till next january maybe the price of ps3 will drop???i dont know just give me ur oponion in this subject???cuz if the price wouldnt drop then iam gonna buy it these days???? soooooooooo what do u think

2die4
12-31-2007, 21:57
buy it as the ammount of enjoyment you will get is worth paying 50 bucks extra now then waiting 1 yr

SDiablo123
12-31-2007, 22:12
Ok, i jsut tried to go online with the PS3, Now it says, Failed to get IP Address: Time lapsed out somethin like that.

Now, what Ethernet Cable do i connect?The one from the Dlink or the one from the Computer?

2die4
12-31-2007, 22:15
ethernet cable is from your ps3 to your router it looks like a phone jack but only bigger

SDiablo123
12-31-2007, 22:22
ethernet cable is from your ps3 to your router it looks like a phone jack but only bigger

Oooookkk, i got it, Now, i have a question,
Do i have to PAY for PLAYSTATION Store?
And if so how much
And how long would it take to download EA Skate?

hockeydude30
12-31-2007, 22:30
No its free
Free
Depends on your connection it didn't take me very long but I have a fast connection.

tuaamin13
12-31-2007, 22:39
heyy does the ps3 40 gb or the six axis controllers have any bluetooth compatability??? if so could i connect it with my macbook which also has bluetooth ??

They do support bluetooth, but I don't know if it has PC functionality.

wrxorcism
01-01-2008, 00:13
I don't know if this question has been asked before or if it happens for other games as well but I couldn't find it while searching soooo.....

I just got my ps3(80gig so I could have the ps2 playback) and Tekken Tag was the first game I put in. Everything is in slow motion...I've seen others mention similar situations and it seemed as if the apparent cause was the game itself. I just wanted to make sure there's nothing I can do to fix this and be able to play the game "normally".

2die4
01-01-2008, 00:21

from what i hear there is away that you can connect the sixaxsis to a pc i dnt knw about the mac though

Miney
01-01-2008, 00:24
Oooookkk, i got it, Now, i have a question,
Do i have to PAY for PLAYSTATION Store?
And if so how much
And how long would it take to download EA Skate?

You dont have to pay for PlayStation Store. It's free until you start downloading content that isnt free :-P
Downloading the demo of Skate if that's what you are talking about is free and it would depend on your internet connection. For memory, the filesize is around 1300MB. So you would have to work that out for yourself. I have a 256kb/s connection and it took me about 9 hours..

SpeedI2acerX
01-01-2008, 00:56
so im new and just got my ps3 for xmas. been lving it until, while i was playing NFS, it froze then i reset andf now the red light in the front in blinking and it wouldnt take anything cds. is it shot?

tjbo1m
01-01-2008, 01:42
I'd try flipping the switch on the back off and back on. If that doesn' help, hold the power button on the front down for 10-20 seconds to reset the system. If that doesn't work, read the manual and figure out exactly what the blinking red light means. If you can't figure it out from there, call Sony.

bahamot
01-01-2008, 03:10
Ok, i jsut tried to go online with the PS3, Now it says, Failed to get IP Address: Time lapsed out somethin like that.

If it still happened that way (after changing cable, try different ethernet port on the switch/router), try to set static IP on your PS3.

SDiablo123
01-01-2008, 03:28
Ok, well, my mom had a hissy fit when i tried to get Online.
So i guess i have to go Offline for awhile till the PS3 gets older....
BECAUSE i keep moving my XBox360 so i can go live (Wich didnt work for connection problems) and the Disc Tray broke, or somethin in it scraping against the Disc.

EDIT: I have finally got the IP Address to work, NOW its the Internet Connection part.
It says like, Timed Failed. Something like that.

DR_Born
01-01-2008, 06:09
my ps3 isn't reading the games anymore :cry:

tricksta
01-01-2008, 08:46
Ok basically one question of mine is how do i turn off the prediction thing on my internet browser, but the more important statement here is...... Ok basically what I am going to try to do is take my SD card for my nintendo Wii, and make a folder in it called VIDEO, download the PS3 9 converter thing and convert a video then put the video in the VIDEO folder i made on my SD card. Next I am going to place my SD card in my PS3 and see if I can copy my video onto the PS3 and it actully work.... If so this will be awsome... Has anyone already tried it?? if so did it work??

pixxotta
01-01-2008, 14:00
Hi Guys
May someone please help me. I bought Ridge Racer 7 fo PS3 and it is playing in black and White.However when i took the same game to my friend it worked perfectly on his PS3. I am managing to play PS3 games on my PS3 however this one plays in Black&white

Thanks and Happy New Year

duinsel
01-01-2008, 14:46
Demos on offline system

Hi! A friend of mine got a PS3 40Gb PAL. I helped him set it up in my place, applied FW 2.10 and downloaded 2 demos. Back at his place he has no internet though. What is the best way to get some more demos on the system? He is a few 100 Miles out, I won't visit for quite a while, and he has no neighbors with open access points. I know some trickery might make a PS3 install pkg files with a proxy server fooling a folding@home install, and I can download pkg files for demos and mail them to him on disk. He is not that savvy though, I doubt he can make the proxy trick fly with his laptop. Are there better ways to get demos on an offline PS3? Are there ways to get legit demo disks to try some games (or even less legit ways for that matter...).
Any advice is appreciated,

Martijn

pixxotta
01-01-2008, 16:30
Hi Guys
May someone please help me. I bought Ridge Racer 7 fo PS3 and it is playing in black and White.However when i took the same game to my friend it worked perfectly on his PS3. I am managing to play PS3 games on my PS3 however this one plays in Black&white

tuaamin13
01-01-2008, 20:16
my ps3 isn't reading the games anymore :cry: That sucks. It appears disc reading failures are the most prevalent issue. Call up Sony, or return it to the store if their policy still allows you to. Sony might try to pass you off a refurb though.

Ok basically one question of mine is how do i turn off the prediction thing on my internet browser, but the more important statement here is...... Ok basically what I am going to try to do is take my SD card for my nintendo Wii, and make a folder in it called VIDEO, download the PS3 9 converter thing and convert a video then put the video in the VIDEO folder i made on my SD card. Next I am going to place my SD card in my PS3 and see if I can copy my video onto the PS3 and it actully work.... If so this will be awsome... Has anyone already tried it?? if so did it work??
I think the directory might be PS3\VIDEO, but try just VIDEO first. You might not even need the video converter if the file is already in mp4 or divx format.

Hi Guys
May someone please help me. I bought Ridge Racer 7 for PS3 and it is playing in black and White.However when i took the same game to my friend it worked perfectly on his PS3. I am managing to play PS3 games on my PS3 however this one plays in Black&white

Posting the same question 3 hours later won't get you a response any quicker. But you haven't really explained your setup. How is your friend's PS3 connected? Does he have HDMI/Component(RGB) out, and you have Composite? Are you both using HD Cables? It could be your cable.
OR
Is either your game or your PS3 imported? It could be that the region of your friend's PS3 matches the game's region. Yes, PS3 games are region free, but only when you play using HD connections. If you're playing in SD, it could be a region incompatibility.

In order for you to tell what the problem is, you have to isolate it first. Try bringing your PS3 over to your friend's house and playing on his cables. Does it still output b&w? If it does, it's something with your system (though not necessarily it's broken). If it's not, it's probably your cables or your television. Try your cables on your friend's TV then. If it runs in color still then, it's something with your TV.

Demos on offline system

Hi! A friend of mine got a PS3 40Gb PAL. I helped him set it up in my place, applied FW 2.10 and downloaded 2 demos. Back at his place he has no internet though. What is the best way to get some more demos on the system? He is a few 100 Miles out, I won't visit for quite a while, and he has no neighbors with open access points. I know some trickery might make a PS3 install pkg files with a proxy server fooling a folding@home install, and I can download pkg files for demos and mail them to him on disk. He is not that savvy though, I doubt he can make the proxy trick fly with his laptop. Are there better ways to get demos on an offline PS3? Are there ways to get legit demo disks to try some games (or even less legit ways for that matter...).
Any advice is appreciated,

Martijn
Have you tried giving him instructions on how to create the proxy server? Just make a Word document or whatever, and take screenshots along the way of what you're doing. I bet he could follow it then. Just give him instructions on how to disable it though lol.

pixxotta
01-01-2008, 20:21
Basically both out Tv's are connected to a normal SD tv through a Scart.
The game works on his Ps3 and not on mine!

Thanks for your help

tuaamin13
01-01-2008, 21:35
Basically both out Tv's are connected to a normal SD tv through a Scart.
The game works on his Ps3 and not on mine!

Thanks for your help

You're on SCART, so that's SD. So, like I said, it could either be the cables or a region incompatibility. I have a US PS3 but I can still select "SCART" as a video output. It's just a matter of having the right cables. And since the PS3 uses the same AV cable as the PS2, he could be using that cable, or he could have bought a new cable. I don't know, you'll have to test more to see what the problem is. Have you tried renting a game and seeing if it still outputs black and white?

joedurbin
01-02-2008, 00:40
does the ps3 allow you to dl games to the hard drive like the modified xbox....trying to find out before i buy one

zeon9881
01-02-2008, 01:55
Hey one simple question

Ive been wondering

the one year warrenty of ps3

does it start right after you get ps3 or do you have to register it or somethin?

SDiablo123
01-02-2008, 02:51
Hey one simple question

Ive been wondering

does it start right after you get ps3 or do you have to register it or somethin?

I was axually wundering that same question, i can GARAUNTEE YOU my ps3 is gunna brake before the one year warrenty is over..

BJPLTS
01-02-2008, 05:04
after you get your bluetooth paired. is there something else you have to do to get it to work with the games?

Zodia
01-02-2008, 07:36
does the ps3 allow you to dl games to the hard drive like the modified xbox....trying to find out before i buy one Nope. Although, you can install UTIII on the HDD for faster load times, but that is because the game allows you to do it.

Hey one simple question

Ive been wondering

does it start right after you get ps3 or do you have to register it or somethin?The warranty starts from the date of purchase.

after you get your bluetooth paired. is there something else you have to do to get it to work with the games?Yes you do, go to accessory settings>audio device settings>input device, and select the bluetooth headset you paired.
Most games are open mic, others you'll have to press a button to talk.
I can't list all the games and how the voice chat works, but i can give you a few examples, rainbow six vegas, call of duty 4 are open mic, warhawk is a push to talk (L3).

TIMBIZT
01-02-2008, 08:30
Hello all, i have a
Dell E177FP Flat Panel Monitor
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E177FP/En/about.htm

I'm wondering if i can hook up my ps3 to it, i have done some research on converters, cables and so on. I recently found a VGA TO RGBHV (vice versa) cable and from what i see i think that i can use my ps3 component cable (male) and plug it into the VGA TO RGBHV (female) cable and then VGA to my monitor.:)

VGA TO RGBHV
http://www.atlona.com/product.php?productid=17292&cat=276&page=1

http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/products/d_2623.jpg
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/products/d_2627.jpg
http://www.lenexpo-electronics.com/products/d_2631.jpg

Zodia
01-02-2008, 08:57
Hello all, i have a
Dell E177FP Flat Panel Monitor
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/E177FP/En/about.htm

I'm wondering if i can hook up my ps3 to it, i have done some research on converters, cables and so on. I recently found a VGA TO RGBHV (vice versa) cable and from what i see i think that i can use my ps3 component cable (male) and plug it into the VGA TO RGBHV (female) cable and then VGA to my monitor.:)

VGA TO RGBHV
http://www.atlona.com/product.php?productid=17292&cat=276&page=1

I honestly don't think it is possible to do this, using these cables. The component cables used for the PS3 only have three leads for video (red, green, blue), computer RGD cables (RGBHV) use five leads three for color, and two for the horizontal and vertical synch.
What you need to make this work is this http://www.av-sales.co.uk/HDMI-VGA-CONVERTER-139-.htm

TIMBIZT
01-02-2008, 09:07
I honestly don't think it is possible to do this, using these cables. The component cables used for the PS3 only have three leads for video (red, green, blue), computer RGD cables (RGBHV) use five leads three for color, and two for the horizontal and vertical synch.
What you need to make this work is this http://www.av-sales.co.uk/HDMI-VGA-CONVERTER-139-.htm

Do i have to use all the 5 leads or can i just use 3 and leave the other two hanging:D

HDMI-VGA converter is a bit pricey.. is it possible to use this one?
http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?products_id=196

Zodia
01-02-2008, 09:47
Do i have to use all the 5 leads or can i just use 3 and leave the other two hanging:D

HDMI-VGA converter is a bit pricey.. is it possible to use this one?
http://www.gamersection.ca/product_info.php?products_id=196 Hummm, i'm pretty certain you would have to use all five leads, that converter will work ok, but you will also have to buy something similar to this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2405957&cp=2032058.2032231.2032280&pg=3&parentPage=family
.Actually never mind that link, the component cables from the PS3 would hock directly in to the converter.

Leveecius
01-02-2008, 10:41
Hey guys, I need a little help if possible. I'm having some issues with my network and my PS3. I keep getting frequent dropouts, am only getting NAT3 and whenever I try to play some of the mp3's from my PC I get this error code: 80710028. That is a Media Server Error and I'm not quite sure what that means or how to fix it. I am running off of a wired router. The internet works fine and it's pretty fast, but for some reason I keep getting these 3 problems. Any body have any suggestions as to how to fix it? I have everything on my PS3 Network settings set to automatic, but other than that I'm at a loss. If it was a computer I could figure it out, but I can't seem to figure it out on my PS. Please help.

Vertisce
01-02-2008, 11:36
Hey guys, I need a little help if possible. I'm having some issues with my network and my PS3. I keep getting frequent dropouts, am only getting NAT3 and whenever I try to play some of the mp3's from my PC I get this error code: 80710028. That is a Media Server Error and I'm not quite sure what that means or how to fix it. I am running off of a wired router. The internet works fine and it's pretty fast, but for some reason I keep getting these 3 problems. Any body have any suggestions as to how to fix it? I have everything on my PS3 Network settings set to automatic, but other than that I'm at a loss. If it was a computer I could figure it out, but I can't seem to figure it out on my PS. Please help.
Man...I hate to tell you this but its your router. I messed with the whole NAT3 issue over the weekend and the fix ended up being to unlock a bunch of ports on the router that the PS3 uses. You will probably have to do the same if you have access to your router to do so. I can't find the paper that I wrote all the ports down on at the moment but I know you can get the info by going to the online manuals on your PS3. Hopefully your network will at least let you get to those. Once you have opened the ports listed you should have NAT2 which is where you want to be.

Yip-Man
01-02-2008, 12:36
Man...I hate to tell you this but its your router. I messed with the whole NAT3 issue over the weekend and the fix ended up being to unlock a bunch of ports on the router that the PS3 uses. You will probably have to do the same if you have access to your router to do so. I can't find the paper that I wrote all the ports down on at the moment but I know you can get the info by going to the online manuals on your PS3. Hopefully your network will at least let you get to those. Once you have opened the ports listed you should have NAT2 which is where you want to be.

here's a link to a forum page on changing NAt Type from 3 to 2 hope it helps

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74303

Leveecius
01-02-2008, 12:40

Ah ok, I was figuring it was the router, but I wasn't too sure. I'm not even too sure if I'm able to mess with my current router due to the fact that it's a vonage router. I do have a linksys wire/wireless-G router I could hook up. is it possible to hook a router up to a router or no?:confused: Last I knew no, but I just want to be sure. I'd really like to use my PS3 to it's full potential, but I don't want to loose my vonage, for the time being.

adubrovs
01-02-2008, 14:45
what do I need to do to be able post new threads on here?

Yip-Man
01-02-2008, 14:49
what do I need to do to be able post new threads on here?

think its 25 posts !, not long to go as u on 22

adubrovs
01-02-2008, 14:59
Woo hoo....make that 23...:)

Womble
01-02-2008, 16:17
If i put a film on my psp memory stick, will i then be able to copy the film onto my PS3 via usb connected to my psp ??

eternal_loyal
01-02-2008, 16:45
hi guys anyone knows when exactly metal gear 4 will be released?

spike47
01-02-2008, 17:46
:bang:today and yesterday I could not sign in to PSN.

:helpActually I did but I tried to download burnout from the playstation store ands it messed up or stopped at 68 percent.

The highest percentage in the network status thing that my connection has reached is 20 percent.

Today I have'nt been able to go onto the playstation store at all. Either that or I can't sign in.

I have my network settings at wireless and i have everything else at automatic and stuff.

Can u guys help please? :cry:

And how can Iimprove my connection to psn?

How about using an ethernet cable? Would that work better and how could I plug it into my ps3 without making a mess of cables?

superJoel
01-02-2008, 17:57
:bang:today and yesterday I could not sign in to PSN.

:helpActually I did but I tried to download burnout from the playstation store ands it messed up or stopped at 68 percent.

The highest percentage in the network status thing that my connection has reached is 20 percent.

Today I have'nt been able to go onto the playstation store at all. Either that or I can't sign in.

I have my network settings at wireless and i have everything else at automatic and stuff.

Can u guys help please? :cry:

And how can Iimprove my connection to psn?

How about using an ethernet cable? Would that work better and how could I plug it into my ps3 without making a mess of cables?
So, it was working at one point and you didn't mess with any of your settings... try powering off and on your router, check the connection to your lines. Reset the Playstation. IF all else fails use the ethernet cable and worry about the mess of wires later.

spike47
01-02-2008, 18:00
question:

How do I reset my router?

By the way a router is that thing beside my pc that has 9 lights with only 4 of them on right now under cable, recieve,power, etc. ?

Thanks. I'll try this

hans1080
01-02-2008, 18:04
Could just be a local problem with the PSN servers... happens from time to time. About the cables: Just make sure you get a parallel and no crossed cable and you should be fine... but nobody can tell you how to lay the cable in your flat, except maybe if you invited us over :p

OK, now for my question, which is a 4mods type question:
Where would I start a PS3 web development thread?

Seeing how threads are deleted here all the time I'd hate to start in the wrong subforum. Since there are currently only 4 ways to program for the PS3 (buying a dev kit, linux, flash, javascript) and only one that's free and doesn't require potential users to install a whole new operating system I think it would be very nice if web developers could exchange information about the PS3 webbrowser somewhere.

SDiablo123
01-02-2008, 18:07
Well, anyone know why i always get the, Internet Connection Part when i Test Connection?

tuaamin13
01-02-2008, 22:18
If i put a film on my psp memory stick, will i then be able to copy the film onto my PS3 via usb connected to my psp ??

hi guys anyone knows when exactly metal gear 4 will be released?
Check Konami's website. Supposedly Q2.

question:

How do I reset my router?

By the way a router is that thing beside my pc that has 9 lights with only 4 of them on right now under cable, recieve,power, etc. ?

Thanks. I'll try this
Unplug the thing, wait 30 seconds, plug it in again. Have the PS3 off during this time. After the router finishes setting up (it takes 30-60sec), turn on your system

Well, anyone know why i always get the, Internet Connection Part when i Test Connection?
You're doing the PS3 connected into the PC? You need to get your PC to allow your PS3 connection to the internet. I don't know how to configure it. Do you Yahoo?

Vertisce
01-02-2008, 22:46
here's a link to a forum page on changing NAt Type from 3 to 2 hope it helps

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74303
Yeah...thats pretty much a copy and paste from the online manuals in the PS3.

Goobax
01-02-2008, 23:08
OK, I have tried every possible video format however NONE will show up when I use my desktop as a media center for my ps3. It will play all the music I have with no problems however videos it will not. I have tried .mp4, .avi, .wmv, and even divx and still nothing. I have the current firmware on the ps3 and still nothing. THEN when I try to hook up my 500gig WD mybook, it wont detect that either, what am I doing wrong? When it comes to the video files it will show up as an icon of the episode then when I try to play it, it will give me a "non supported format" error each and every time no matter the format. What gives? :(

laoislad
01-02-2008, 23:31
Hi all

I posted this on another thread but i think i might have posted it in the wrong section...
I have just bought a PS3,Im not a serious gamer,I just like to relax with Fifa or Tiger Woods or any game really now and again after a days work..Or when the girlfriend isn't watching soaps!
My question is
As i said i just bought a PS3,I have a Sony Bravia 36" that is not HD,I just wondered is it really worth spending maybe €400euro or €500euro on a HDTV to use my PS3 on..I have just spent over €400euro on my PS3 so for a casual gamer as i am is it really gonna make a huge difference to my gaming if i just use my Sony LCD..
I know there is a difference i now understand the technical talk behind it regarding pixels etc,but is it so big of a difference that it would be worth my while investing in a HDTV
If i thought there was a huge difference i could stretch my finances to buy maybe a 20" HDTV just for PS3 use as my Sony is working perfectly so i don't need a new main Television
Sorry for such a trivial question..And thanks for any words of wisdom that posters might be able offer to me

Cead Mile Failte!

tuaamin13
01-02-2008, 23:39
Hi all

I posted this on another thread but i think i might have posted it in the wrong section...
I have just bought a PS3,Im not a serious gamer,I just like to relax with Fifa or Tiger Woods or any game really now and again after a days work..Or when the girlfriend isn't watching soaps!
My question is
As i said i just bought a PS3,I have a Sony Bravia 36" that is not HD,I just wondered is it really worth spending maybe €400euro or €500euro on a HDTV to use my PS3 on..I have just spent over €400euro on my PS3 so for a casual gamer as i am is it really gonna make a huge difference to my gaming if i just use my Sony LCD..
I know there is a difference i now understand the technical talk behind it regarding pixels etc,but is it so big of a difference that it would be worth my while investing in a HDTV
If i thought there was a huge difference i could stretch my finances to buy maybe a 20" HDTV just for PS3 use as my Sony is working perfectly so i don't need a new main Television
Sorry for such a trivial question..And thanks for any words of wisdom that posters might be able offer to me

Cead Mile Failte!
According to the Bravia entry on Wikipedia, all Bravias are HD. They're either 720p or 1080p. So do you have this TV currently? If so, all you need is an HD cable to get HD gaming.

If you really don't have an HD TV: No, you don't really need an HD TV to get the "experience" so I'd wait a a year or two for TVs to drop in price, so you can save up more without really stretching your finances.

I play in SD most of the time. Yes games look better in HD, but they're not impossible to play in SD. They still look amazing.

laoislad
01-02-2008, 23:44
My apologies i have a Sony Wega what i meant to say is i was thinking of buying a Sony Bravia
Thanks for the help though much appreciated

hans1080
01-02-2008, 23:51
OK, I have tried every possible video format however NONE will show up when I use my desktop as a media center for my ps3. It will play all the music I have with no problems however videos it will not. I have tried .mp4, .avi, .wmv, and even divx and still nothing. I have the current firmware on the ps3 and still nothing. THEN when I try to hook up my 500gig WD mybook, it wont detect that either, what am I doing wrong? When it comes to the video files it will show up as an icon of the episode then when I try to play it, it will give me a "non supported format" error each and every time no matter the format. What gives? :(

First about your harddrive (because that's easier to answer). The PS3 can only read FAT32 formated harddrives, which yours is probably not (Microsoft specifies a maximum partition size of 32GB for FAT32, it will only allow you to create partitions up to that size). If you want to format your harddrive to FAT32, you'll need a Linux bootdisk (say, knoppix).

About straming over network. The easiest way is to use a Server that can transcode unsupported formats... I'm using TVersity

GameSpawn
01-03-2008, 00:26
Where would I start a PS3 web development thread?

Seeing how threads are deleted here all the time I'd hate to start in the wrong subforum. Since there are currently only 4 ways to program for the PS3 (buying a dev kit, linux, flash, javascript) and only one that's free and doesn't require potential users to install a whole new operating system I think it would be very nice if web developers could exchange information about the PS3 webbrowser somewhere.PS3 General is the best for now or possibly the Linux thread, but that more if you will use the PS3 as a web server and not developing web pages that work for the PS3. Really you can develop web pages for the PS3 on a Windows, Mac OS, or even Linux PC. That's the beauty of web development.

I can tell you this much:
The PS3, and even PSP, use a somewhat custom version of the NetFront Web Browser (Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetFront)). You can start there. I don't know for sure which version of the browser they are using, but if you can find websites that will echo back your browser info, you can find that much out. Also I think you are restricted to Flash 8 compatibility, but I'm not sure on that one either since I don't use my PS3 browser much and most of the sites I visit still use Flash 6-8 content. Javascript and Java are no biggies and I'm sure a decent version of javascript is supported and definitely there has to be Java 6 support seeing how close knit Java is for the Blu-Ray format.

Hey it may even be worth while to e-mail NetFront & Sony about the two browsers (PS3 & PSP, they may not be using the same exact core version) and see what versions of HTML, XHTML, XML, Javascript, Java, CSS (VERY important for good sites), and Flash are supported. Even ask if they support all the W3C (Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3c); W3C Website (http://www.w3.org/); W3 Schools (http://w3schools.com/)) standards. As far as I know Microsoft is the ONLY company that doesn't conform their browser to meet W3C standards; IE doesn't even render most CSS v2 & v3 correctly.

SDiablo123
01-03-2008, 00:50
Ok, thnx ill check that out.

hans1080
01-03-2008, 00:56
OK, I'll start the thread there...I've done a few tests so far... nothing really interesting, just testing the speed of sprite movement, prototype inheritance and so on... Yes it's probably Netfront but it really behaves a lot different from the version that I've got on my Clié... essentially they try to mimic MSIE with all its bugs... they event added the seldom used attachEvent method instead addEventListener! Right now I'm trying to find out how to capture the controls... The analog stick is easy, we're simply calculating the movement delta (works as long as the stick doesn't reach the edge of the screen, but maybe focusing it on an element in the middle of the screen will return it). Digital controls work as long as there's just a single input box via the keydown event. X Presses can be detected with onclick... so far so good but there has to be some way to detect the other buttons and prevent them from opening the various dialogues.
About speed... Netfront isn't quite as fast as Opera, Safari, Firefox or even InternetExplorer, but it's enough to work with. About 30 sprites can be moved across the screen at one time... OK, not great.
I'm already talking too much, I'll open the thread ASAP

Goobax
01-03-2008, 00:56
First about your harddrive (because that's easier to answer). The PS3 can only read FAT32 formated harddrives, which yours is probably not (Microsoft specifies a maximum partition size of 32GB for FAT32, it will only allow you to create partitions up to that size). If you want to format your harddrive to FAT32, you'll need a Linux bootdisk (say, knoppix).

About straming over network. The easiest way is to use a Server that can transcode unsupported formats... I'm using TVersity

Is this like a third party application using my data or their own? Do you have a link? I am at work and search is limited :( so any help is greatly appriciated. thanks!

hans1080
01-03-2008, 01:07
http://tversity.com/

It's a server software... you install it on your machine, tell it which directory to share and with whom you want to share (it usually only shares in your home network, but you can also to tell it to share across the internet with a password), then you search for servers on the PS3 and it'll find it. It will stream files that can be played by the PS3 directly and for other files it will transcode them on the fly to a format that the PS3 can understand (resulting in slightly reduced quality, but at least it will play them).

Stoffinator
01-03-2008, 01:09
What kind of divix does the PS3 support? I have some divix movies but the PS3 says its unsupported. How do I know?

hans1080
01-03-2008, 01:11
PS3 General is the best for now or possibly the Linux thread, but that more if you will use the PS3 as a web server and not developing web pages that work for the PS3.

Did you mean General/Chit-Chat because I can't really find a PS3 General section...

hans1080
01-03-2008, 01:15
What kind of divix does the PS3 support? I have some divix movies but the PS3 says its unsupported. How do I know?

Try & error... there's not much else to do: DivX is a subset of MPEG4 Simple Profile and not all files that claim to be DivX actually are. For Example it could be XVID or a FFMPEG encode with QPEL (which doesn't work on the PS3, but then again it's not part of the DivX spec). If you want to safe yourself some trouble use TVersity (see above)

DustyGoods
01-03-2008, 01:59
So, by using the PSP Connect feature, I can play any playstation game that shove into the PS3.

But what do I do about buttons that are on the PS1 but not the PSP? Is there an alternative to pressing the button?

spike47
01-03-2008, 02:24
hey guys, I reset my router and now my connection has improved alot.

I left my ps3 on for abou 4 hours cause i was downloading burnout and motorstorm demos and i was signed in the whole time with no problems. When I played online in burnout though I kept geting kicked off of games for some reason and some errors, then I played with np for 1 hour against 3 others people who I have to say I pwned 2 and 1 of them pwned me really bad.

If anyone wants to face the great underdog of burnout and wants to get pwned my psn id is spike874 :)

Right now I can't get in, hopefully tommorow it will be on.

but now for my question:

I have a cable that look like it's an ethernet cable. One end is for usb port and the other end can be plugged in to the ethernet port on the back of the ps3. It was originally connected with the printer to the pc but I took it off.

Should I move my tv and ps3 to the room with my pc and connect that cable? Will I get a better connection with that cable?

smaug
01-03-2008, 02:48
I have a cable that look like it's an ethernet cable. One end is for usb port and the other end can be plugged in to the ethernet port on the back of the ps3. It was originally connected with the printer to the pc but I took it off.

Should I move my tv and ps3 to the room with my pc and connect that cable? Will I get a better connection with that cable?

What the heck? What is the USB-looking side plugged into?

EDIT: Oh I see what you're saying, no plugging it in that way won't be possible. Let me see if I can dig up your original post and help you out.

EDIT2: Alright, after reading a few of your posts it sounds like your wireless signal is just weak. 20% is awful, and you can expect slow speeds, lots of lags, and even drops with that sort of signal. And judging by the fact it's at 20%, you are pretty far away from your router. If there is ANY way you can wire your PS3 to your router, do that. Otherwise, see if you can move your PS3/TV closer to your router, or maybe bring your modem/router closer to your PS3/TV. But with those kind of signals percentages, I'm pretty sure your problem is just a weak signal.

~NeonFire~
01-03-2008, 03:52
Does Sony require you to have your receipt in the event that you need a repair done? How's customer service? Similar to Microsoft's (please, god no), better? worse?

smaug
01-03-2008, 04:00
Does Sony require you to have your receipt in the event that you need a repair done? How's customer service? Similar to Microsoft's (please, god no), better? worse?

I think they require the original receipt, yeah. I don't have any personal experience with Sony customer service, but from posts I've read they generally are pretty good. People have gotten replacement PS3's within a week of sending theirs out.

soap
01-03-2008, 04:39
newbie question.. since we can use the ps3 to charge our headsets/controllers, is there a mode we can put the ps3 in so it just charges and doesn't keep the PS3 screen up? <br />
<br />
thanks again!

smaug
01-03-2008, 04:44
Huh? If you mean charge while the PS3 is off, then no, you can't. You can turn your TV off if that is the issue. Otherwise, you can invest in a controller charger, I think there are 2 or 3 of them...

soap
01-03-2008, 05:11
that answers my question.. i was just wondering if there was an idle mode or something so it will charge w/ the USB port but not keep the ps3 screen up and not get so hot

jay0504
01-03-2008, 05:15
can my ps3 play hd dvds(red box) or can it just play blue ray. i already have it hooked up to my hd tv.

smaug
01-03-2008, 05:19
Yeah, I mean just leaving on the XMB while the controller is charging is basically idle mode. I wouldn't really worry about it though, I run folding@home on my PS3 while at work and stuff, it's...

WaspMonkey
01-03-2008, 05:22
can my ps3 play hd dvds(red box) or can it just play blue ray. i already have it hooked up to my hd tv.

It can just play blu ray's. The patch for hd dvd's hasn't been release yet.:rolleyes: (That was a joke)

UberNerD20
01-03-2008, 05:25
aside from memory is there any difference between the 80gb and 40gb ps3?

smaug
01-03-2008, 05:32
aside from memory is there any difference between the 80gb and 40gb ps3?

The main differences are the storage capacity(which you noted), the 40GB has two USB ports as opposed to the 80GB's four, there is no backwards compatibility on the 40GB, and no SD/Memory Stick/Compact Flash ports, and the 80GB has them.

Basically, if you don't care about the extra 40GB, and don't care about BC or the memory card ports, you should be alright. You can buy a USB hub to make up for the 40GB's only having two.

marco46
01-03-2008, 06:52
What is the best video format the PS3 supports?
I want to convert a whole bunch of videos and movies I have and copy them to my PS3 hard drive. What format am I best off to use? I'm mainly looking for quality and not too concerned about size (to an extent anyway).
I have PS3 Video Converter, any better programs going around?

Stoffinator
01-03-2008, 09:32
Try & error... there's not much else to do: DivX is a subset of MPEG4 Simple Profile and not all files that claim to be DivX actually are. For Example it could be XVID or a FFMPEG encode with QPEL (which doesn't work on the PS3, but then again it's not part of the DivX spec). If you want to safe yourself some trouble use TVersity (see above)

I do use TVersity but it still says unsupported data.

ps3bod
01-03-2008, 10:30
Hi sorry to post here, website wouldnt let me anywhere else anyways

Recently acquired a PS3 from friend, said hdd needed to be replaced, replaced 60gb with 80gb running at 5400rpm, formatted hdd okay, loads up to the sony entertainment screen fine, ps3 briefly shows the menu options, but then goes straight into saved data utility by itself and then black screen and nothing, can't even back out of it with control pad,

Tried a factory reset as found on a web search "hold down power button until you hear 3 beeps", cant get 3 beeps, does 2 and then shuts down, any ideas ? thanks :confused:

hans1080
01-03-2008, 12:06
I do use TVersity but it still says unsupported data.
Try Settings/Transcoder/Always Transcode... if that doesn't help, it means that Windows can't play your files... the files MUST play in Windows Media Player (or any other pure DirectShow player, NOT VLC/MPLAYER...) in order to be transcoded by TVersity

hans1080
01-03-2008, 12:11
What is the best video format the PS3 supports?
I want to convert a whole bunch of videos and movies I have and copy them to my PS3 hard drive. What format am I best off to use? I'm mainly looking for quality and not too concerned about size (to an extent anyway).
I have PS3 Video Converter, any better programs going around?

The best video format is definitely uncompressed RGB, but I think that's a little too big... the most efficient format is h264 (which the PS3 requires to be in .mp4 containers): You can fit 2 hours of 1920x1080 on a double layer DVD disks easily... or about 30 hours in standard defintion. Only downside... it takes some time to encode... for 1080p about one day per hour and for 480p still about 3x realtime

Tven
01-03-2008, 13:46
hi.......i soon will purchase a ps3 and was wondering will my ps2 controllers work on the ps3

taa

DanMorgan08
01-03-2008, 14:31
yer i been playing assasins creed and i just got to the part where u pickpocket the doctor in todays world. Now im am stuck there. The bedroom door wont open and nothing will interact with the player i was wonderin does any1 know what i have to do to continue with the game ???

bubano
01-03-2008, 14:34
hi.......i soon will purchase a ps3 and was wondering will my ps2 controllers work on the ps3

taa

Your ps2 controller will not work on ps3. You can if you like buy a transformer though.

Jacksbak
01-03-2008, 15:34
Hello
Does anyone know how big the HDD is in the PS3, because i want to get a new one and i dont have a clue what size it is (Not as in how many GB) i am looking on ebay and its asking me if i want to search for a 2.5" or a 3.5", what one is it in the PS3??
Would be a great help if anyone knew :D:D
Thanks

bahamot
01-03-2008, 15:41
It's 2.5" SATA HDD i.e. notebook one.

Jacksbak
01-03-2008, 16:10
It's 2.5" SATA HDD i.e. notebook one.

Ok then thankyou for you quick response :D :D

akbar
01-03-2008, 16:45
Hello people !
I'm struggling to use my Laptop as wireless proxy for the PS3, What are the settings and software needed on the laptop and the PS3 (i know i have to always have my internet "ON" in the laptop for this to work)
Also what software proxy to use (i want something that allows all ports needed for the PS3 online stuff)
Another problem - I have ICS disabled on my WinXP as it is part of some domain, so cant run the ICS wizard.
I have Linksys Wifi - Intel Proset drivers on my laptop - shud i create adhoc / Network Infrastructure mode - im confused as a newbie in thisGracious

RxForPain
01-03-2008, 17:42
Why was my "Gaming 101" thread deleted? NO one has a thing to me nor was it moved. Its just gone...

UberNerD20
01-03-2008, 18:10
ok this is kind of an odd question but i dont have an HDtv yet, and i dont know much bout the firmware update, should i update it now or wait to get a better tv, what are all the changes that were made on the last update?

RxForPain
01-03-2008, 18:28
Can i get some assistance from a mod? aim me asap. (my thread was deleted (not in trash can) and i got no message about why)

spike47
01-03-2008, 19:00
okay, today I reset my router and everything and I've been able to sign in to psn for a long time without problems.
However now the status saids 17 percent or 15 percent.

I live in a two story house. My rrom is number 1 and my modem thing is in the office at number 5.My room is a few feet from the office. Do u think placing my ps3 and tv in the office will improve my connection?

*what about the cable i mentioned in the last page or so? Can I use that to connect it from my ps3 to my modem and get a better connection? *

1 3
2 5

Hyphen
01-03-2008, 19:08
Hi sorry to post here, website wouldnt let me anywhere else anyways

Recently acquired a PS3 from friend, said hdd needed to be replaced, replaced 60gb with 80gb running at 5400rpm, formatted hdd okay, loads up to the sony entertainment screen fine, ps3 briefly shows the menu options, but then goes straight into saved data utility by itself and then black screen and nothing, can't even back out of it with control pad,

Tried a factory reset as found on a web search "hold down power button until you hear 3 beeps", cant get 3 beeps, does 2 and then shuts down, any ideas ? thanks :confused:

Just out of interest, why did your friend say the drive needed replacing? Was it full? Have corrupted data on it? Did you actually try to start the PS3 with the old 60GB hard drive, or was replacing it the first thing you did?

spike47
01-03-2008, 19:13
another Q:

ummm I guess I'm gonna move my desktop computer to my room. My room is pretty big about 19 and 12 or something like that so I'll still have space plus there will be an extra room free.

My ISP is Brighthouse Newtork and I have .......Roadrunner I guess.

How can I move my modem with pc to my room alongside my ps3?

there is a cable that comes out from the wall and connects to my modem and one in my room that connects to the tv.
They're big and have a black color.

I'm guessing that's how I get my service(just wanna be sure)

So do I have to call my isp so that they come in and move the cables around or how can I do it myself?

spike47
01-03-2008, 20:15
oh and COULD I JUST LEAVE MY PS3 AND MODEM WHERE THEY ARE AND GET THIS: http://www.target.com/Mad-Catz-PS3-Ethernet-Cable/dp/B000Q6XYD8/sr=1-1/qid=1199391110/ref=sr_1_1/602-6489466-5756664?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Aps3%20ethernet%20cable&page=1

Will it improve my connection by alot or what?

Also how can I hide that 50ft cable ? It's gonna lok pretty ugly going from the hallway towards my desktop.

*wil that cable I mentioned in the last page work too*

tricksta
01-03-2008, 21:04

Ok I have figured out that if you use an actual Wii SD card it will not work even if it is in .wmv or any format for that matter. So I went out and bought a 1GB SD card, and it works perfect. I downloaded movies such as red vs blue which are already in .wmv format no conversion needed. All you have to do is make a folder in your SD card called VIDEO make sure its all caps, and then put your movies in there. Almost all .wmv have worked for me and thats the format that most movies are in anyways. So I hoped this has helped anyone out lol..:):)

Neo-Delta
01-03-2008, 22:20
Okay, well I have a friend around. We plugged the internet into the PS3 and managed to use the internet browser. We attempt to get some demos from the PSN Store but it is saying the internet wasn't connected, but we could still get on the internet browser.

MAULxx
01-03-2008, 22:55
Can this work on my PS3 for PS2 games?
http://www.gameasylum.us/sesapcusbcof.html
I'm assuming it will not.
What about an arcade stick? Is there one that works with PS2 games running on PS3?

Neo-Delta
01-03-2008, 22:57
Can this work on my PS3 for PS2 games?
http://www.gameasylum.us/sesapcusbcof.html
I'm assuming it will not.
What about an arcade stick? Is there one that works with PS2 games running on PS3?

Probably not but if it has a usb out I would try, you never know, I plugged a mini lightup Christmas tree into the PS3 and it works :D

MAULxx
01-03-2008, 23:02
Well, the PS3 controller has 8 buttons, so does that sega pad.
But, I don't want to buy it if it's not going to be of any use.
I thought I'd ask but I don't think it would work.

UberNerD20
01-03-2008, 23:22
so how come for battle me smackdaown vs raw is not an option?

tuaamin13
01-04-2008, 00:37
so how come for battle me smackdaown vs raw is not an option?

Put that in the comments/suggestion subsection of the forums.

Mika Mo 25
01-04-2008, 02:26
Will any operating systems allow me to play pc games on my ps3? Like linux and others?

tuaamin13
01-04-2008, 03:14
Will any operating systems allow me to play pc games on my ps3? Like linux and others?

No PC games, unless you're talking about stuff like the original Quake. You can manage NES, SNES type emulators though.

UberNerD20
01-04-2008, 03:25
where would you find a snes emulator you can put on a ps3, i kinda want to play mario RPG, and also anyone know where i could find number munchers?

Mika Mo 25
01-04-2008, 03:39
No PC games, unless you're talking about stuff like the original Quake. You can manage NES, SNES type emulators though.

well like they are outdated games from the late 90's and early 00's...?

tuaamin13
01-04-2008, 03:53
well like they are outdated games from the late 90's and early 00's...?

Yes. You can only run very very old games. I doubt even the early 00s. PC emulation sucks atm. So no Crysis for you.

bLinkZor
01-04-2008, 06:41
Sorry if I'm asking a n00b question, can PS3 play PS2 games or PS1??

RxForPain
01-04-2008, 06:42
ps3 can play ps2 games. i dont think it can play ps1 games i could be wrong

zeon9881
01-04-2008, 06:44

Ps3 can play both game system games

RxForPain
01-04-2008, 06:46
guess i was close. Have fun the ps2 and ps1 games!

bLinkZor
01-04-2008, 06:57
Hey you guys when I pop in GTA SanAndreas and other games I get a message of this right here: This model of the PS3tm system is not compatible with PlayStation2 format software.

zeon9881
01-04-2008, 07:14
Hey you guys when I pop in GTA SanAndreas and other games I get a message of this right here: This model of the PS3tm system is not compatible with PlayStation2 format software.

Have you updated the ps3?

if not then try updating other then that ill let some of my other "friends" answer this question

krzykrl
01-04-2008, 07:29
the 40 gig ps3 is not backwards compatible with ps2 games; ps1 games im not 100% sure about though

bLinkZor
01-04-2008, 07:32
the 40 gig ps3 is not backwards compatible with ps2 games; ps1 games im not 100% sure about though

Are you serious?? dang thats disappointing, and yeah I updated my PS3. Is there another way??

Mika Mo 25
01-04-2008, 07:33
Yes. You can only run very very old games. I doubt even the early 00s. PC emulation sucks atm. So no Crysis for you.

I take it you NEED an emulator right? You aren't able to play regular disc games?

Surebrec
01-04-2008, 12:34
is internet security a must for taking the PS3 online?

I've read a lot about there being viruses online that "may" target an unprotected PS3, though it would not be under as much threat as a PC.

I'm looking to take mine online soon as I can get an extra long ethernet cable.

I don't have a router, and don't really want to be forking out for one just yet so soon after handing over a huge wad of cash for the PS3 itself, as I don't plan on having my PC and PS3 online at the same time. I might do in the future, but as it stands right now, I'm happy switching from one to the other.

because I don't have a router, it would mean connecting my PS3 directly to my modem, so there is no protection between the net and my PS3.

is this something I should worry about, maybe even avoid attemptiing to do?

kidd0218
01-04-2008, 13:30

Only the 60 and 80 gb can play ps2 games. The 40gb cannot play ps2 games, however it can play ps1 games.

Are you serious?? dang thats disappointing, and yeah I updated my PS3. Is there another way??

Yes I know it is disappointing, thats how I felt but dont care anymore. Sadly there is no other way for the 40GB to play ps2 games because the chip that enables bc(backwards compability) was removed from it.

is internet security a must for taking the PS3 online?

I've read a lot about there being viruses online that "may" target an unprotected PS3, though it would not be under as much threat as a PC.

I'm looking to take mine online soon as I can get an extra long ethernet cable.

I don't have a router, and don't really want to be forking out for one just yet so soon after handing over a huge wad of cash for the PS3 itself, as I don't plan on having my PC and PS3 online at the same time. I might do in the future, but as it stands right now, I'm happy switching from one to the other.

because I don't have a router, it would mean connecting my PS3 directly to my modem, so there is no protection between the net and my PS3.

is this something I should worry about, maybe even avoid attemptiing to do?

As far as I know, there is no virus that can infect the ps3. Playing online and worrying about virus would mostly apply on pc but for the ps3 its no problem. Ive been playing my ps3 online and havent had any problems on virus or any harmful stuff you get from the internet.

spike47
01-04-2008, 13:52
1.ummmm do ethernet cables give u a better connection on psn then just routers a or wireless and such?

in other words will this give me a better connection :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&st=routers&type=product&id=1051384663529

or this: http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=314&CategoryImg=PS3_Cables

2.Do I need any specific stuff to be able to connect an ethernet cable from my ps3 to my modem or any stuff to have a ruoter?

GameFu
01-04-2008, 14:31
I have a bunch of movie files on my computer that are in PAL format(25 fps). Will a US PS3 be able to play these files fine without converting to NTSC?

damien2487
01-04-2008, 14:41

if you have the 60 gig version you can play ps2 games and ps1 games with no problems. On the 80 gig version you're gonna have to check on the playstation site which games run well on the ps3.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

If you go there you just need to put in the game you're trying to play and it will let you know how it runs. With the 40 gig all you can do it play ps1 games.

krzykrl
01-04-2008, 14:57
1.ummmm do ethernet cables give u a better connection on psn then just routers a or wireless and such?

in other words will this give me a better connection :

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&st=routers&type=product&id=1051384663529

or this: http://www.madcatz.com/Default.asp?Page=314&CategoryImg=PS3_Cables

2.Do I need any specific stuff to be able to connect an ethernet cable from my ps3 to my modem or any stuff to have a ruoter?

Wired internet is always the fastest and most reliable (also more secure) choice of interenet. if you have the option to wire your ps3, if not then wireless is a good second option.

the best buy link you posted is for a wireless router that has 4 ports for wired internet and is also wireless.. Watch out i have heard alot of poeple on this very forum complaining about compatibility with the ps3 and that exact model number router.

EDIT::: you need a router or a swith if you have more than one device you want to connect to the internet.

sig-gotyouth
01-04-2008, 15:10
MY Playstation 3 will not detect my Playstation Eye.

I've read the offical boards and many people seem to have the same problem but with no solution.

Can someone please help me?

spike47
01-04-2008, 15:40
EDIT::: you need a router or a swith if you have more than one device you want to connect to the internet.[/quote]

No just my ps3. Thanks.

krzykrl
01-04-2008, 15:44
MY Playstation 3 will not detect my Playstation Eye.

I've read the offical boards and many people seem to have the same problem but with no solution.

Can someone please help me?

I dont know anything about the PSEYE, but have you tried basic troubleshooting, switching USB ports, Turn off your ps3.. test the PSEYE with a computer (if thats possible) maybe swap cables.. just some suggestions,

sig-gotyouth
01-04-2008, 16:19
yeh sadly I have. and no luck. Im extremley frustrated with it :(

RxForPain
01-04-2008, 18:05
Why cant save saved games or game demos on my external hard drive on my ps3?

tuaamin13
01-04-2008, 18:18
Why cant save saved games or game demos on my external hard drive on my ps3?

I wouldn't swear to it, but demos could be copied to an external drive before they're installed. However, to run it or the game save, it has to be on the internal drive. It's just the way the PS3 works. You can also back up your game saves to an external drive (very smart idea, in case you ever totally screw up and delete the save, or it becomes corrupted or something). I back up my game saves to a 32mb compact flash card.

If anyone else wants to chip in on this subject feel free to do so.

RxForPain
01-04-2008, 18:30
Yes thats what i figured. Thanks for the help. It was a free 200gb external with blue LED's so i guess it will look "purdy" along side my ps3 :D

I wouldn't swear to it, but demos could be copied to an external drive before they're installed. However, to run it or the game save, it has to be on the internal drive. It's just the way the PS3 works. You can also back up your game saves to an external drive (very smart idea, in case you ever totally screw up and delete the save, or it becomes corrupted or something). I back up my game saves to a 32mb compact flash card.

If anyone else wants to chip in on this subject feel free to do so.

newarkcastle
01-04-2008, 18:48
can someone tell me the best memory card i can get with average amount of space for my Ps3 and Fuji fd50 Digital camara....? thanks

newarkcastle
01-04-2008, 18:49
can someone tell me the best memory card i can get with average amount of space for my Ps3 and Fuji fd50 Digital camara....? thanks

RxForPain
01-04-2008, 19:00
What kind of memory card does your digi cam take?

ps3bod
01-04-2008, 20:37
Recently acquired a PS3 from friend, said hdd needed to be replaced,

replaced 60gb with 80gb running at 5400rpm, formatted hdd all went fine,

when PS3 loads up to the sony entertainment screen, ps3 briefly shows the menu options, but then goes straight into saved data utility by itslef and then black screen, can't even back out of it with control pad, any ideas ? thanks please help, is there a factory reset ?, tried the video display reset already :( i wanna play my games :confused:

warpig24
01-04-2008, 22:46
Any advice on a HDD for external USB connection? I was thinking of a 500GB internal, buy a USB enclosure and format for FAT32 for my PS3 to recognize. Am I going down the right path? I have 'access' to movies and music from which I would like to take this HDD to dump onto with movies and music periodically. I have a Intel Mac Pro.

GotToyota?
01-05-2008, 00:02
So how does one upgrade the internal HDD? I know it has to be a notebook 2.5&quot; HD, but once you get it, where do you go from there? Are they plug and play? Is there any special formatting needed?Is there any special hardware I need to format the hard drive? And will upgrading the hard drive void the manufacturers warranty? Can I still play on PSN?

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 00:57
Any advice on a HDD for external USB connection? I was thinking of a 500GB internal, buy a USB enclosure and format for FAT32 for my PS3 to recognize. Am I going down the right path? I have 'access' to movies and music from which I would like to take this HDD to dump onto with movies and music periodically. I have a Intel Mac Pro.

Watch the sales. Perhaps you can find a 500gb external cheaper than a 500gb internal + external case. I've seen WD external drives as low as $80

But yes, that would work.

Recently acquired a PS3 from friend, said hdd needed to be replaced,

replaced 60gb with 80gb running at 5400rpm, formatted hdd all went fine,

when PS3 loads up to the sony entertainment screen, ps3 briefly shows the menu options, but then goes straight into saved data utility by itslef and then black screen, can't even back out of it with control pad, any ideas ? thanks please help, is there a factory reset ?, tried the video display reset already :( i wanna play my games :confused: There's a "Factory Default" option on there. Otherwise, call Sony. Have you tried putting the original 60gb drive in there?

So how does one upgrade the internal HDD? I know it has to be a notebook 2.5&quot; HD, but once you get it, where do you go from there? Are they plug and play? Is there any special formatting needed?Is there any special hardware I need to format the hard drive? And will upgrading the hard drive void the manufacturers warranty? Can I still play on PSN?
2.5" SATA drive. It's not quite plug-and-play, but the PS3 will automatically format it. PSN data is stored elsewhere (not on the harddrive, but still on the PS3). So your friend list, PSN login, etc are safe. Make sure to backup your game saves though. PSN games you can redownload, same as demos.
All you need is a new drive and a phillips head screwdriver. Make sure to use the right size and apply some pressure or you'll strip the cheap plastic screws. Your warranty will not be voided.

RxForPain
01-05-2008, 01:09
Just unplug and play.There shouldnt be any software needed.

jocka
01-05-2008, 02:55
I have a 40gig ps3, i bough it a week ago or so, everything was working perfect. I just played a normal dvd (the movie War) without any problems, i take it out put my tiger wood 2008 game in it wont load, i tried with fight night3, then spyder man 3, i tried spyder man the movie and even retried the War dvd but nothing it wont load the games. I get the ps3 option and menus but nothing else, i see the little icon at the top right when i insert a game but its just staying there like if it was thinking. I shutdown the machine for 10 minutes tried again still nothing, i did a quick format and once again came up short. I did not do any firmware update. Can someone tell me whats happening?? Thanks in advance.

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 03:01
I have a 40gig ps3, i bough it a week ago or so, everything was working perfect. I just played a normal dvd (the movie War) without any problems, i take it out put my tiger wood 2008 game in it wont load, i tried with fight night3, then spyder man 3, i tried spyder man the movie and even retried the War dvd but nothing it wont load the games. I get the ps3 option and menus but nothing else, i see the little icon at the top right when i insert a game but its just staying there like if it was thinking. I shutdown the machine for 10 minutes tried again still nothing, i did a quick format and once again came up short. I did not do any firmware update. Can someone tell me whats happening?? Thanks in advance.

Eh, unfortunately your PS3 drive bit the dust. It's the most common issue in the PS3. Since you bought it so recently, here's what I recommend:

Boot up the PS3 and copy your save files to a USB drive.
Return your PS3 to the store and get a new one (most stores have a 30day return policy on defective products).
Transfer your saves to your new PS3.

Just select "existing PSN account" when you set it up and you can keep your PSN ID.

jocka
01-05-2008, 03:31
Eh, unfortunately your PS3 drive bit the dust. It's the most common issue in the PS3. Since you bought it so recently, here's what I recommend:

Boot up the PS3 and copy your save files to a USB drive.
Return your PS3 to the store and get a new one (most stores have a 30day return policy on defective products).
Transfer your saves to your new PS3.

Just select "existing PSN account" when you set it up and you can keep your PSN ID.

saing my games was the first thing i did, i was thinking that it just crapped out **** thats not cool at all so i guess its back to ebgames tommorow
thanks for the help

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 03:35
saing my games was the first thing i did, i was thinking that it just crapped out **** thats not cool at all so i guess its back to ebgames tommorow
thanks for the help

Just remember to delete your CC info from your account (if you put it in to make a PSN purchase). I wouldn't trust some random minimum wage guy not to boot up your PS3 to test it and subsequently lift your CC number.

le33eeb
01-05-2008, 03:44
Hi,

I've updated my winning eleven 2008 game, and it seems there is a slight change on the game mode which I didn't like. Is there a way to remove the update and go back to the main game version as my disc is?

Thanks

Vertisce
01-05-2008, 04:53
Hi,

I've updated my winning eleven 2008 game, and it seems there is a slight change on the game mode which I didn't like. Is there a way to remove the update and go back to the main game version as my disc is?

Thanks
God...I don't even know what your talking about. That's really vague. If your asking if you can revert an update to a game that was downloaded from the net then I think the answer is no. Unless just deleting all the game data from the drive works.

le33eeb
01-05-2008, 05:25
Yes Vertisce (http://www.ps3forums.com/member.php?u=52190) , this is what I want.

How can I delete all the game data from the drive? sorry, I kind of newbie in PS3, just got it 2 days ago

B-Man11
01-05-2008, 08:52
ok guys i am trying to help my friend fix his ps3, he has nat type 3 and its not allowing to join many games. i know it has something to do with the router cuz it happened to mine befor so can someone tell me how to fix his, he has a siemens se567

eternal_loyal
01-05-2008, 13:02
hi guys
why we cant turn off the ps3 or ps2 with remote control? i was wondering about this along time ago and i just cant find any answer ???wouldnt be cool to switch off the ps3 with wireless controller or remote control
plz comment on what i said and thanks

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 14:35
Yes Vertisce (http://www.ps3forums.com/member.php?u=52190) , this is what I want.

How can I delete all the game data from the drive? sorry, I kind of newbie in PS3, just got it 2 days ago

Under Games on the XMB, there's a section called "Game Data." Find Winning Eleven 08 and press Triangle and select delete. I don't know if it will work though. When I bought Assassin's Creed, it prompted me automatically to download the patch. So if you play you might have to play offline (so it doesn't detect that there's a new patch).

ok guys i am trying to help my friend fix his ps3, he has nat type 3 and its not allowing to join many games. i know it has something to do with the router cuz it happened to mine befor so can someone tell me how to fix his, he has a siemens se567
There's a sticky in the PSN Online subsection of the forums. That will explain how to open the ports the PS3 requires. Either that or you could put the PS3 in a DMZ (demilitarized zone) that would allow the PS3 open connection over all ports. For either of these you need to set the PS3 to a static IP address (instead of autoconfiguring the internet, you'll need to select manual. All the numbers you need can be pulled up on your computer by typing "ipconfig /all" on command prompt (windows). Just change the last 3 digits of the IP address for the PS3, everything else is the same).

hi guys
why we cant turn off the ps3 or ps2 with remote control? i was wondering about this along time ago and i just cant find any answer ???wouldnt be cool to switch off the ps3 with wireless controller or remote control
plz comment on what i said and thanks

You can turn it off remotely. The PS3 will turn off if you press the PS button on the SixAxis. You can turn off the system or turn off the controller. If you turn off the system the PS3 will go to standby mode (red light). From standby you can turn the PS3 on by pressing the PS button on the SixAxis. You just can't turn the system completely off because there's still that power switch on the back. From standby though, it's safe to flip the main switch.

Sony King
01-05-2008, 16:10
Are there any PS3 cables that i can use to connect to my computer monitor?

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 16:28
Are there any PS3 cables that i can use to connect to my computer monitor?

If your monitor has a DVI connection, you can buy an HDMI > DVI cable from some place like monoprice. You will need something for sound though, as DVI does not carry sound. You can either buy a TOSLink cable for your sound system (if it supports TOSLink), or use the multi AV out (red/white) that comes with the PS3. PS3 is very nice in that it allows for multiple audio and video configurations. You'd have something like "Video: HDMI....Audio: AV Multi-Out"

You may have to end up buying some sort of converter to get the red/white cables to convert to the correct input for your speakers.

Flanboy
01-05-2008, 17:28
I av got a usb memoray stick and i was wonderin if i was to put song n pictures onto it would i be able to put those items on to ma ps3??

WaspMonkey
01-05-2008, 17:29
I av got a usb memoray stick and i was wonderin if i was to put song n pictures onto it would i be able to put those items on to ma ps3??

Yeah, just put them on it and insert it into the PS3. Go to music and save them to your hard drive.

Flanboy
01-05-2008, 17:35
:Dthanks alot waspmonkey :) get some of ma own pictures on now:D

Sony King
01-05-2008, 18:38
If your monitor has a DVI connection, you can buy an HDMI > DVI cable from some place like monoprice. You will need something for sound though, as DVI does not carry sound. You can either buy a TOSLink cable for your sound system (if it supports TOSLink), or use the multi AV out (red/white) that comes with the PS3. PS3 is very nice in that it allows for multiple audio and video configurations. You'd have something like "Video: HDMI....Audio: AV Multi-Out"

You may have to end up buying some sort of converter to get the red/white cables to convert to the correct input for your speakers.
So would I be able to use this to connect my PS3 to the monitor?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/SG_Cobra/img-1.jpg

dk78
01-05-2008, 18:53
i have a network ? but there is no q and a in that forum. i wanted to change my id online and had to delete my profile and start over but i lost my money in the store wallet and i could not use my original email address to set up my new master account. who and how can i contact someone to help me or to just tell me im screwed? thanks for any help

Perfect Sin
01-05-2008, 19:00
i have a network ? but there is no q and a in that forum. i wanted to change my id online and had to delete my profile and start over but i lost my money in the store wallet and i could not use my original email address to set up my new master account. who and how can i contact someone to help me or to just tell me im screwed? thanks for any help

You can always shoot an e-mail over to Sony Customer Service and wait under a day for them to get back to you.

http://www.us.playstation.com/corporate/ConsumerServices

Yes, but like tuaamin13 said, you'll need to get a cable for audio.

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 19:30

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/SG_Cobra/img-1.jpg
Yes, but Monster will rip you a new one with their overpriced cables.

Monoprice.com is the way to go.

Sony King
01-05-2008, 19:36
Yes, but Monster will rip you a new one with their overpriced cables.

Monoprice.com is the way to go.
But don't monster cables provide better quality picture wise?

Mika Mo 25
01-05-2008, 19:55
If I put linux back on my ps3...

If I downloaded map packs on a friend's account onto my ps3 will that data be lost when I allot 10gb to the other OS?

and....

If I end up reformatting to take off linux will the map packs be taken off or deleted?

Can you back up map packs?

BRUTUS
01-05-2008, 20:05
Hello PS3 Nation friends i owned 2 PS3s 60Gb models cecha-06 and cecha-12, cecha-06 have fps problems when playing Pro Evo 2008 but cecha-06 run this game without it do you have any solutions:confused: thanks in advance
sorry for bad english :oops:

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 20:13
Hello PS3 Nation friends i owned 2 PS3s 60Gb models cecha-06 and cecha-12, cecha-06 have fps problems when playing Pro Evo 2008 but cecha-06 run this game without it do you have any solutions:confused: thanks in advance
sorry for bad english :oops:

CECHA-06 is from Singapore, and CECHA-12 is from Hong Kong according to this thread: http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=100609

I assume you have the PS2 version?

Both of those should have the Emotion Engine (PS2 CPU), so I'd chalk it up to a firmware issue. Firmwares are designed for each region, so maybe one slightly messed up due to a FW update.

I don't know any more about this. At least on 1 system it works fine and you can still play it.

Mika Mo 25
01-05-2008, 20:20
Does anyone have an answer to my question about back up and whether or not map packs can be?

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 20:22
Does anyone have an answer to my question about back up and whether or not map packs can be?

If the map pack is downloaded and copied to an external drive before you install it, I would say there's no reason why you couldn't. I doubt there's DRM on map packs. If the game downloads it itself and installs it right then, then you probably couldn't.

Sorry I don't know more, I've never downloaded a map pack.

Mika Mo 25
01-05-2008, 20:52
Thanks for your reply, does anyone know if you can run limewire on linux?

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 21:55
Thanks for your reply, does anyone know if you can run limewire on linux?

Yes, it's Mac, Windows, and Linux compatible (it says so on their website).

eternal_loyal
01-05-2008, 22:20
can we install yahoo and gmail in linux ??????

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 22:36
can we install yahoo and gmail in linux ??????

I'm not familiar with those apps, but if they run in Linux they'll run on PS3 linux. The distro is the same, except with some modifications to run on the PS3 system.

Lp Chris XII
01-05-2008, 23:13
I have a 60GB PS3 which is about a year old now. Recently when I've put in a few games, I've been noticing that the Blu-ray drive is much louder than before, it sounds as if the laser is moving around a lot more when reading discs.

I'm worried that it's going to die soon, so is there anything I can do to try and keep it running? I was thinking about buying a lens-cleaning disc for it, would a DVD lens cleaner suffice, or should I look for something that specifically says "for use with Blu-ray drives"?

Also, if my PS3's Blu-ray drive does kick the bucket, then what will it cost me to send my PS3 in to Sony for repair? My warranty expired about a week ago.

tuaamin13
01-05-2008, 23:21
I have a 60GB PS3 which is about a year old now. Recently when I've put in a few games, I've been noticing that the Blu-ray drive is much louder than before, it sounds as if the laser is moving around a lot more when reading discs.

I'm worried that it's going to die soon, so is there anything I can do to try and keep it running? I was thinking about buying a lens-cleaning disc for it, would a DVD lens cleaner suffice, or should I look for something that specifically says "for use with Blu-ray drives"?

Also, if my PS3's Blu-ray drive does kick the bucket, then what will it cost me to send my PS3 in to Sony for repair? My warranty expired about a week ago.

I think the DVD lens cleaner should suffice, though I don't know if that would do anything about loose parts. But you could be right, and there's just grit in there.

I think the PS3 has a $150 flat rate for repairs that are out of warranty. They'll send you a refurb model, unless I guess you bully the CSR into getting your exact PS3 back or a brand new 80GB or something.

Mika Mo 25
01-05-2008, 23:58
For Ubuntu on ps3, do you need to install Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn before you can install Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon?

WaspMonkey
01-05-2008, 23:59
For Ubuntu on ps3, do you need to install Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn before you can install Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon?

This question would be better in the Linux section of the forum. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Sorry.

Navarro's Fist
01-06-2008, 00:15
I had problems with my Samsung tv when I first got my PS3 (60gb), it wouldn't recognise it, so someone recommended the 3beeps trick which reset my video and hey presto, it worked great for gaming.

Now I've come to watch a DVD for the first time (normal DVD, not bluray), and i get a black then green then black then green then finally a black screen with a message that says 'No Signal' - is there something I can do to resolve this?

Thanks!

tuaamin13
01-06-2008, 00:19
I had problems with my Samsung tv when I first got my PS3 (60gb), it wouldn't recognise it, so someone recommended the 3beeps trick which reset my video and hey presto, it worked great for gaming.

Now I've come to watch a DVD for the first time (normal DVD, not bluray), and i get a black then green then black then green then finally a black screen with a message that says 'No Signal' - is there something I can do to resolve this?

Thanks!

I would think that's a HDCP handshake issue, but if you're able to play games normally then I don't know. You should probably post this question over in the Bluray section. There's an HD/receiver/audio/video question thread. Those guys are much more knowledgeable about TVs and such.

Navarro's Fist
01-06-2008, 00:31
Thanks, will give it a try!

ubseen
01-06-2008, 00:52
word i installed kbot to my ps3 and all i get is "ubuntu ps3 kboot loader.

no default root fs was found, or one was fond and it didn't contains a ...." can any one help I've burnt a cd image using the ps3 version of ubuntu and i have it on an sd card I've tried sticking it in different directories nothing I am new to linux but i hate microsoft please help me

Mika Mo 25
01-06-2008, 01:51
word i installed kbot to my ps3 and all i get is "ubuntu ps3 kboot loader.

no default root fs was found, or one was fond and it didn't contains a ...." can any one help I've burnt a cd image using the ps3 version of ubuntu and i have it on an sd card I've tried sticking it in different directories nothing I am new to linux but i hate microsoft please help me

I had the same problem today and asked about it. I checked too late to find the help but you need to make a partition before you try installing the operating system. Go back and allot 10GB to the other os and it should work.

zeon9881
01-06-2008, 03:25
Ok i have a problem game related lol

i have warhawk and i just got 500 kills

so i checked and it said i need a bandit teamwork badge so i got it

but i still cant become a airman 1st class rank

this was 4 hours ago, can someone help

spades08
01-06-2008, 03:31
I have a question, but it is about the forums: Everytime I try to post a new thread, I get a page that says "You do not have acess to this page"

What is going on?

Mo9
01-06-2008, 03:43
I have a question, but it is about the forums: Everytime I try to post a new thread, I get a page that says "You do not have acess to this page"

What is going on?

You can't post a thread until you have 25 posts, i think.

spades08
01-06-2008, 03:47
You can't post a thread until you have 25 posts, i think.

Ok, that's would I have guessed. Thanks a lot.

Mo9
01-06-2008, 03:51
I tried installing Fedora Core 5 Linux onto my ps3 using these instructions. http://ps3.qj.net/PS3-Linux-The-void-has-been-filled-Full-install-instructions-for-Fedora-Core-5-/pg/49/aid/73

After I installed the kboot image and went to the Other OS the screen went all black. Then instead of putting the fedora dvd in the ps3 right away i reseted my ps3 and now when it starts its just a black screen and it won't load my fedora core 5 dvd.

Did I break my ps3?

Or is there a way to fix it?

Mika Mo 25
01-06-2008, 04:18
Anybody know how to set up a wireless network on this? There doesn't seem to be the option to on mine but I hear other people have it working.

GYU
01-06-2008, 05:02
I got a question about videos: For videos that are in formats such as .avi or .xvid, if they have subtitles that are separate files ( not embedded ) is there a way to display them? I have some videos I want to put on my external hdd that have subtitles that are separate files that I wanna watch so please let me know, thank you very much!

Mika Mo 25
01-06-2008, 05:22
I'm having so much trouble on Ubuntu with getting my wireless network set up and configuring the screen to fill and fit my 720p tv. If someone could help I would greatly appreciate it! PM me if you'd like or respond here, thanks!

Inferno_23
01-06-2008, 10:44
Hey Guys, Just got my PS3 and heard about being able to download games. I searched PS3 Game Downloads on Google and found an article about a site called Gamer Media. http://www.gamermediadownload.com/?hop=lord123

It states that you can download as many games as you want for a one-time only fee of $49.99 USD
Has anyone got a membership with them? Is it a scam?

I would love to become a member and download my games/movies/songs etc

Is it possible?

Bostonmess
01-06-2008, 11:01
It sounds like a scam. If you've registered for the Playstaion network there's tons of demos now available. If you've registered your card details there's plenty of full games that aren't that dear. You can even create different accounts in different countrys so you can download demos that aren't available from your local store. E.g. the GT5P demo from Japan.

That site seems to be selling media more than games.

You can rip your music onto the PS3, just insert a cd and press triangle I think. After the recent firmware update (2.10) The PS3 also supports many avi style videos such as xvid. Or you can stream stuff to it by different programs such as Tversity.

See here for Tversity:

http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=75081&highlight=tversity

bLinkZor
01-06-2008, 14:24
Sorry if I'm off topic but I'm wondering why I can't post any new threads in this website, please some one answer me.

Navarro's Fist
01-06-2008, 15:56
Anyone know if I can use my PSP USB charger to charge my Sixaxis controller?

Mika Mo 25
01-06-2008, 16:52
Sorry if I'm off topic but I'm wondering why I can't post any new threads in this website, please some one answer me.

you need 20 or 25 posts before you can do so I believe.

don-sf
01-06-2008, 18:17
my internet is connected to my computer through ethernet.

and i hav a pci wifi card attached - so i turn my wifi on when i pc is on. right now i do the media sharing thing and have wireless internet with my ps3 through the wifi.

however i would like to have a wired connection for ps3 media sharing and internet features - could anybody advise me how i would go about in setting this up?

thank u for your time guys.

ace10brian
01-06-2008, 18:42
Is it possible to use a usb keyboard and mouse to play games on the PS3? For example, Call of Duty 4 or the Orange Box. If I have to I'll use the FragFX but just curious if a standard keyboard and mouse will work.

Thanks.

smiggy
01-06-2008, 22:39
im going to set up a wired connection soon but ive noticed a few things which i need help on. At the back of my modem theres only one ethrnet port which is currently connected to the tower. so, if i unplug that and plug in the ps3 ethernet cable into the modem will it work now its not connected to my computer?

if not the back of my has two ports, one in use connected to the modem. if i plug the ps3 ethernet cable into my tower will it work now?

cheers

tjbo1m
01-06-2008, 22:55
Is it possible to use a usb keyboard and mouse to play games on the PS3? For example, Call of Duty 4 or the Orange Box. If I have to I'll use the FragFX but just curious if a standard keyboard and mouse will work.

Thanks.

stand keyboard mouse combo will work for the ps3.....however not with every game.

for instance, UT3 has k/m support but COD4 and Orange Box don't as far as I know.

Hope that answers your question.

spike47
01-06-2008, 23:00
wow my connection to PSn today is at zip.

I mean it's like I don't even have internet.

Well I'm gonna go out to buy a 50ft ethernet cable soon.

Which ISP do u guys find most reliable?

zer0shen
01-06-2008, 23:23
just wondering how sensitive the Analogue sticks are on the PS3?, like how many points/degrees of sensitivity do they have?

thanks/churr
-zer0shen

Mo9
01-07-2008, 00:02
How can I resize an image to 1920x1080? So that I can use that image for creating a theme for my ps3 XMB.

schultz576
01-07-2008, 02:52
ok i was just playing fifa 08 and in the middle of the game a screen pops up saying "disc error, retrying operation" it froze on this screen so i reseted my console. after that the console wouldn read the disc at all so i took it out cleaned it, etc there is no scratches on it at all but it still wont read it, so i tried another game, still wont read that, i tried a DVD and still nothing, its not even registering that there is a disc in the drive.

does anyone know anything that i can do, or whats wrong or anything... its torture....

Shankman
01-07-2008, 04:25
Hi All,

Basically I would like to know how to disable deinterlacing on DVD's.

I have disabled DVD upscaling which swicthed the DVD to 576p.

I am trying to find which setting to change so the PS3 leaves the DVD at its original 576i format.

I have tried searching these forums, google and the manual.

There is the below from the manual
-------------------------------------
Cinema Conversion

When SD resolution video recorded in interlace format is recorded on BD / DVDs, you can convert the video to progressive format. This is possible only when using a TV that supports progressive format. Video content can include video material (TV shows or animation) and film material (movies). Set for the type of video content to be played. In most cases, set to [Automatic].

Automatic: Set to detect the difference between video material and film material and to select the best conversion mode for each material.

Video: Always play in video material conversion mode.
Set when [Automatic] does not improve picture quality
-------------------------------------------------------

So if I set it to "Video" does that mean it will disable deinterlacing all together?
Or will this affect 3:2 pulldown?

In the end what I want to achieve is a raw 576i DVD source.

your help is much appreciated.
Cheers
Sam

marco46
01-07-2008, 06:33
Can anyone recommend a good video converter, been using PS3 Video Converter 3 but it takes so long and even PS3 Video 9 takes nearly 3 hours for a movie. Any good faster ones out there?

I've been converting to AVC (.mp4) 1080p and the movies are pretty large in this format. Is AVC much better than other formats? Does it really make a difference if I'm converting an .avi file which isnt exactly the best quality anyway?

tjbo1m
01-07-2008, 08:33
Can anyone recommend a good video converter, been using PS3 Video Converter 3 but it takes so long and even PS3 Video 9 takes nearly 3 hours for a movie. Any good faster ones out there?

I've been converting to AVC (.mp4) 1080p and the movies are pretty large in this format. Is AVC much better than other formats? Does it really make a difference if I'm converting an .avi file which isnt exactly the best quality anyway?

most .avi files are supported now with the latest updates, so you shouldn't have to do so much conversion.

Try your .avi files and see if they work. If not, then convert them. Beside that, I don't personally know of a better FREE converter than ps3 video 9.

Zodia
01-07-2008, 10:31

Thanks!
You need to turn the PS3's DVD upscaler on under BD/DVD settings. I could be wrong but this should do the trick.

I got a question about videos: For videos that are in formats such as .avi or .xvid, if they have subtitles that are separate files ( not embedded ) is there a way to display them? I have some videos I want to put on my external hdd that have subtitles that are separate files that I wanna watch so please let me know, thank you very much! put the video and subtitles file in a single folder.

im going to set up a wired connection soon but ive noticed a few things which i need help on. At the back of my modem theres only one ethrnet port which is currently connected to the tower. so, if i unplug that and plug in the ps3 ethernet cable into the modem will it work now its not connected to my computer?

if not the back of my has two ports, one in use connected to the modem. if i plug the ps3 ethernet cable into my tower will it work now?

cheers1- yes it will work, but you'll have to reset the modem every time you do this.
2- It is possible to do this as well, but it's not a good option for online multiplayer, as it will cause some insane lag.
My suggestion is for you to purchase a router (Not a switch or hub),with a router you can have both the PS3 and you PC plugged in at the same time.

wow my connection to PSn today is at zip.

I mean it's like I don't even have internet.

Well I'm gonna go out to buy a 50ft ethernet cable soon.

Which ISP do u guys find most reliable?
Where do you live ?

How can I resize an image to 1920x1080? So that I can use that image for creating a theme for my ps3 XMB.
You might want to try Gimp http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ it's a good free alternative to photoshop.

ok i was just playing fifa 08 and in the middle of the game a screen pops up saying "disc error, retrying operation" it froze on this screen so i reseted my console. after that the console wouldn read the disc at all so i took it out cleaned it, etc there is no scratches on it at all but it still wont read it, so i tried another game, still wont read that, i tried a DVD and still nothing, its not even registering that there is a disc in the drive.

does anyone know anything that i can do, or whats wrong or anything... its torture.... You have succumbed to the most common problem with the PS3, a dead BR drive, nothing you can will make it work again, sorry dude, but you'll have to give Sony a call.

I've been converting to AVC (.mp4) 1080p and the movies are pretty large in this format. Is AVC much better than other formats? Does it really make a difference if I'm converting an .avi file which isnt exactly the best quality anyway? PS3 video9 is still the best free video converter out there.
If the original avi file is not of good quality it makes no difference what resolution you convert it to, the video quality is certainly not going to improve, i use to transcode my videos to mpeg2 because to me that was the best looking format and it took less time to transcode, although i recently changed my mind and transcode to mpeg4 it takes just as long as mpeg2 (with the latest PS3 video9 version) on average of 1 hour, and they actually look better, and they are about 500MB smaller.

Shankman
01-07-2008, 10:44
Zodia,

I assume you don't know the answer to my question? The one about disabling deinterlacing on DVD 3 posts back?

Cheers

Zodia
01-07-2008, 11:05
Zodia,

I assume you don't know the answer to my question? The one about disabling deinterlacing on DVD 3 posts back?

Cheers
I'll be honest with you, i actually don't know the answer.
But by what i understand from the poor instructions on the online manual, setting the upscaler to automatic allows the PS3 to select the mode depending on the TV type and content on the DVD disc, so assuming you have an SDTV, i would set it to auto, if your TV is HD then you might have to set the TV to display in 576i when viewing DVD.
What type of TV do you have, and why is it so important to have the DVD content be displayed in 576i?

Shankman
01-07-2008, 11:23
I'll be honest with you, i actually don't know the answer.
But by what i understand from the poor instructions on the online manual, setting the upscaler to automatic allows the PS3 to select the mode depending on the TV type and content on the DVD disc, so assuming you have an SDTV, i would set it to auto, if your TV is HD then you might have to set the TV to display in 576i when viewing DVD.
What type of TV do you have, and why is it so important to have the DVD content be displayed in 576i?

I've got a Pioneer Kuro 50" Elite(LX) which does a fantastic job of deinterlacing and upscaling on its own, hence why I want to disable as much video processing from the source as possible and leave it all up to the TV to do. Native res on the TV is 1920*1080p

I might try giving Sony a call to get some clarification.

Thanks anyway Zodia

Cheers
Sam :)

prostreetcamaro
01-07-2008, 17:28
Is it against the rules to post something for sale? I have 2 HDFury's I am looking to sell. 1 Gamer edition and one Blue edition.

chops970
01-07-2008, 21:48
can anyone tell me if this router will be good for ps3(wireeless g 2.4 ghz 54mbpsby linksys) or should i buy a new one. I used this with my ps2 and it wasnt that great, would get kicked off socom alot.

Karl_in_Chicago
01-07-2008, 22:11
I've got a Pioneer Kuro 50" Elite(LX) which does a fantastic job of deinterlacing and upscaling on its own, hence why I want to disable as much video processing from the source as possible and leave it all up to the TV to do. Native res on the TV is 1920*1080p

I might try giving Sony a call to get some clarification.

Thanks anyway Zodia

Cheers
Sam :)

Please do post any info you find on this, I'm sure there are others of us interested in knowing the answer to this. Right now I have a Pio Elite DV79AVI I use for my SD DVD's but should I move that to another room I'd like to know I could have the PS3 output the SD DVD's at 480i (NTSC here) and let the Elite 1130 (no Kuro but still pretty good) handle the heavy lifting.

Cheers on the Kuro! I might pick one of those up for the MM room and move the 1130 to the living room. Now that I have the BluRay I'm tempted by a 1080p display capability.

tuaamin13
01-07-2008, 23:13
can anyone tell me if this router will be good for ps3(wireeless g 2.4 ghz 54mbpsby linksys) or should i buy a new one. I used this with my ps2 and it wasnt that great, would get kicked off socom alot.

I'm assuming the model you mean is WRT54G? If so, you should set static IP addresses, and you won't get kicked off. Google instructions on how to set them if you don't know.

Sooner Coolkat
01-07-2008, 23:35
I guess this is the place to ask questions if you don't have 25 posts......pretty lame rule. Anyway, I was wondering about Commando 3. I can't get to it here at work but there is a video on 1up.com and it says that it was coming out on like the 15th of December. There is no Commando 3 on psn unless I've somehow missed it. I've also done a search on this forum and there is nothing. Anyone know anything about Commando 3?

Ishimaru Kaito
01-07-2008, 23:50
i'm trying to play my PS3 and the plugs are completely in but why is the screen black?

tuaamin13
01-07-2008, 23:58
I guess this is the place to ask questions if you don't have 25 posts......pretty lame rule. Anyway, I was wondering about Commando 3. I can't get to it here at work but there is a video on 1up.com and it says that it was coming out on like the 15th of December. There is no Commando 3 on psn unless I've somehow missed it. I've also done a search on this forum and there is nothing. Anyone know anything about Commando 3?
Have you checked the publisher's website? Perhaps it means 15 December 2008

EDIT: It appears that it was bumped back to Q2 2008 if IGN and Gamespot are to be believed. It was in the first 10 hits on Google.

i'm trying to play my PS3 and the plugs are completely in but why is the screen black?
Press and hold the power button (the one next to the eject button) until it beeps 2x. This is the video reset feature, though it will also change the XMB background back to default. Did you recently switch from HDMI back to composite? That's normally what causes it.

Ishimaru Kaito
01-08-2008, 00:00
Press and hold the power button (the one next to the eject button) until it beeps 2x. This is the video reset feature, though it will also change the XMB background back to default. Did you recently switch from HDMI back to composite? That's normally what causes it.

i don't have a HDTV, i didn't change any format, my bro just played his Wii and my PS3 was still on while he was playing his wii though

tuaamin13
01-08-2008, 00:03
i don't have a HDTV, i didn't change any format, my bro just played his Wii and my PS3 was still on while he was playing his wii though

Eh, maybe it fell asleep? Try pressing the PS button and see if that doesn't bring up a picture.

Shankman
01-08-2008, 00:41
Please do post any info you find on this, I'm sure there are others of us interested in knowing the answer to this. Right now I have a Pio Elite DV79AVI I use for my SD DVD's but should I move that to another room I'd like to know I could have the PS3 output the SD DVD's at 480i (NTSC here) and let the Elite 1130 (no Kuro but still pretty good) handle the heavy lifting.

Cheers on the Kuro! I might pick one of those up for the MM room and move the 1130 to the living room. Now that I have the BluRay I'm tempted by a 1080p display capability.

Cheers on the pio!
The Kuro is an awesome TV, I highly recommend it. I'm still on the run in period, waiting to hit 200 hours so I can get it ISF calibrated! Can't wait.

I just spoke to Sony,

Heres the things they suggested :
- Turn the resolution of the whole PS3 down to 576i, and then change it back when i want to do gaming. I advised them that because I run HDMI, the lowest res option I can choose is 576p.

-At this point they advised that to be able to get 576i, the only way around it is to use composite cable, which makes sense.

Anyhow I'll do some further testing with the composite cable that came with the PS3, and then I might buy a component cable as well to do further testing.

I'll update with my findings.

Cheers
Sam

Sooner Coolkat
01-08-2008, 00:52
Have you checked the publisher's website? Perhaps it means 15 December 2008

EDIT: It appears that it was bumped back to Q2 2008 if IGN and Gamespot are to be believed. It was in the first 10 hits on Google.

Man, that blows! I guess I'll have to wait. :cry: I had the original on the NES when I was a kid and I like that they kept the overhead format for this one. Thanks for the quick reply. I would have googled it but I'm at work and they block everything.....I can't believe I can even get to this site.

twbaker
01-08-2008, 01:16
Hi there, I was going to start a new thread for this, but then I realised I can't start new threads until I've made 25 posts or something like that, so I'll ask here instead.

I want to hook my PS3 up to a PC monitor, and from the (largely conflicting and confusing) information I've looked through, the vague idea I've got is that I need a monitor that has a DVI input, and HDCP, and a HDMI-DVI cable, is this correct?

If so/if not will a monitor with the following specification work (and is it any good)?

Maximum Resolution: WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) @60Hz
Response Time (Tr+Tf): 5 ms (typ.)
Format : 16:10
Input : DVI, Compatible with HDCP <-- (the bit I figure is important?)

Thanks.

tuaamin13
01-08-2008, 01:26
Man, that blows! I guess I'll have to wait. :cry: I had the original on the NES when I was a kid and I like that they kept the overhead format for this one. Thanks for the quick reply. I would have googled it but I'm at work and they block everything.....I can't believe I can even get to this site.

Ah, that sucks. Well don't visit here too often. If they look at website logs, they'll see ps3forums listed on there a lot and might decide to block that too.

Hi there, I was going to start a new thread for this, but then I realised I can't start new threads until I've made 25 posts or something like that, so I'll ask here instead.

I want to hook my PS3 up to a PC monitor, and from the (largely conflicting and confusing) information I've looked through, the vague idea I've got is that I need a monitor that has a DVI input, and HDCP, and a HDMI-DVI cable, is this correct?

If so/if not will a monitor with the following specification work (and is it any good)?

Thanks.
Yep, you need an HDMI>DVI cable (monoprice.com will do great), the HDCP bit is required. You still need something to configure your audio though. You can run the red/white audio cables or TOSLink out in addition to video out HDMI, so there's no real problems there (you may just need a converter if you're using a computer system that doesn't accept either of those connections).

The specs on those monitors are pretty good. If you can though, go to the store and actually see the monitor, the PQ, contrast, etc. You basically want a resolution that will support at least 720p, and a response time <8ms in addition to the HDCP DVI port.

prostreetcamaro
01-08-2008, 01:28

Thanks.

Any monitor that supports HDCP should work fine. I highly suggest the samsung 226BW or 226CW. Great monitors for a good price and they work good with the ps3.

OR you could use a device such as an HDFury if you already have a monitor that is not HDCP compliant. What it does is strip the digital encryption before it reaches the monitor. That way any non HDCP compliant monitor should work just fine so long as it supports the resolution you are sending it. I have a brand new HDFury for sale if your interested.

KMan64
01-08-2008, 02:37
Alright, so here's a question.

Ive had my Wii since last year, at launch. I want to sell it on eBay to get money for a PS3, but my mom doesnt want me to. I told her "The only reason Im keeping it is for one game in 2008, and old games for other systems you can download. The PS3 has games coming out all through next year that look fun, but the Wii doesnt have any."

Yet she still says no, I cant sell it.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

Peacemaker1ps
01-08-2008, 03:32
Just picked up logitech USB headset and i cant hear game sound through headset.

Only works with digital output. components
Ive already changed accesories settings.

Headset works as only to communication without game sound.

What am i doing wrong?

tuaamin13
01-08-2008, 04:17
Alright, so here's a question.

Ive had my Wii since last year, at launch. I want to sell it on eBay to get money for a PS3, but my mom doesnt want me to. I told her "The only reason Im keeping it is for one game in 2008, and old games for other systems you can download. The PS3 has games coming out all through next year that look fun, but the Wii doesnt have any."

Yet she still says no, I cant sell it.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

I don't know, you can probably scalp it for like $400, even though it's a year old. You could tell her it'd completely cover the cost of the PS3.

But you know, I don't recommend selling games/systems. (I regret getting rid of some of my 64 games, like Super Mario 64 and stuff, but enough of that). I'd say keep the Wii. I mean SSBB is coming out and whatever. Just save up money, and perhaps around E3 the PS3 will come bundled with a game other than Motorstorm (MGS4, we can hope?). Barring that, I think there'd be another price drop.

I think you're jumping ship from a console too soon. I mean, something encouraged you to buy it, and the grass just looks greener on the other side. What's probably going to happen is you'll get a PS3, then realize there's cool games on the 360 or the Wii again (some maybe unannounced title). Then what do you do?

So, sit on your hands for a few months. You maybe won't get as much for your Wii, but when E3/GDC rolls around, you'll have a better idea of the game lineups. Just save what you would have spent on PS3 or Wii games.

Just my opinion.

Zodia
01-08-2008, 12:02
Just picked up logitech USB headset and i cant hear game sound through headset.

Only works with digital output. components
Ive already changed accesories settings.

Headset works as only to communication without game sound.

What am i doing wrong?You're doing nothing wrong, the headset is used only for "communication" that is it, there is no game audio through headset, except for a few games available from the PS store, ex: Mortal Kombat...

adamfez
01-08-2008, 13:12
I have bought 60G PS3 in china, Will i still be able to do everything when i move back to the UK...? i.e. online and all games.

eternal_loyal
01-08-2008, 13:42
hi guys
i want to ask about nfs prostreet and pes 2008 they both have version works on ps2 is it the same in image quality as its on ps3

mctc83
01-08-2008, 13:53
Hi guys, thought id post this cause it might make some people laugh :D
Anyway all i did was put the controller on my table (forgetting about the candle), watched tv for about a minute then i saw a flame about 10 inches in the air, thats when i realized i put the controller on the candle lmao

Whats even more funny is that the pad still works, apart from L1+L2 obversely :p

My question is if i get rid of the melted part how can i make some new buttons? any idea?

Cheers

ps. I would have put this in a new thread but i havnt got enough points :(
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8480/dsc00530uq7.jpg
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8281/dsc00531ze5.jpg
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1269/dsc00533ug7.jpg
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8101/dsc00534bc2.jpg

BirdyDJ
01-08-2008, 14:29
hey guys wonder if any of you could help me. Im from the UK and i managed to get my self one of those new eye toys in a game bundel (eyetoy and eye of judgement) and yes it all works fine ane ect but i have seen people on youtube and other playing with effect and mini games like the old eyetoy play but better quality how do i do this?

is there a game i buy?
can you download it from the ps3 store?
is it not out in the UK yet?

the eye toy is a great little gadget for my online gameing mic but im sure it can do more :D thanks

Dan
maybe you could email me or pm me Chicken_hound_01@hotmail.com
or even be extra special and add my gamer tag: BirdyDJ

Yip-Man
01-08-2008, 14:45
hey guys wonder if any of you could help me. Im from the UK and i managed to get my self one of those new eye toys in a game bundel (eyetoy and eye of judgement) and yes it all works fine ane ect but i have seen people on youtube and other playing with effect and mini games like the old eyetoy play but better quality how do i do this?

is there a game i buy?
can you download it from the ps3 store?
is it not out in the UK yet?

the eye toy is a great little gadget for my online gameing mic but im sure it can do more :D thanks

Dan
maybe you could email me or pm me Chicken_hound_01@hotmail.com
or even be extra special and add my gamer tag: BirdyDJ

You can download these games from PSn, just go on-line and choose ur game few out at present

mctc83
01-08-2008, 14:45
hey, yes you can get ps3 eye games from the ps3 store, they range from £1.99 to £3.49 i think :)

Karl_in_Chicago
01-08-2008, 15:59
Cheers on the pio!
The Kuro is an awesome TV, I highly recommend it. I'm still on the run in period, waiting to hit 200 hours so I can get it ISF calibrated! Can't wait.

I just spoke to Sony,

Heres the things they suggested :
- Turn the resolution of the whole PS3 down to 576i, and then change it back when i want to do gaming. I advised them that because I run HDMI, the lowest res option I can choose is 576p.

-At this point they advised that to be able to get 576i, the only way around it is to use composite cable, which makes sense.

Anyhow I'll do some further testing with the composite cable that came with the PS3, and then I might buy a component cable as well to do further testing.

I'll update with my findings.

Cheers
Sam

Ick. I'm too spoiled with the single-cable HDMI approach now, I don't want to go back! Strange that Sony wouldn't allow us to output native over the HDMI. I understand why you are going to go ahead and test with the composite but, of course, the PQ over composite is going to be less than what you were seeing regardless of where the interlacing/scaler processing takes place. Did you get any info on whether the component output affords the option of native? I'm still sticking with HDMI for the cable-clutter reason but curious.

PS - the Kuro, like last year's Pio TV's, doesn't have the media receiver anymore (like my 1130 does), right? I really like having the MR - and therefore most of the cabling - divorced from the plasma panel itself.