PDA

View Full Version : Xbox boss tells Sony: ‘Wish you were here’

A7MAD
01-11-2007, 14:49
Microsoft’s European Xbox VP Chris Lewis has told MCV that the company was disappointed by Sony’s “no-show” over Christmas – because it would have been the perfect time for 360 to prove its dominance.

Link (http://www.mcvuk.com/Xbox-boss-tells-Sony-Wish-you-were-here)

Speaking as part of MCV’s Christmas review, Lewis (pictured) asserted that, had PS3 been on the market, gamers would have been left in little doubt that 360 was the superior machine.

“The lowlight of our Christmas was the lack of anything from our main next-generation competition,” Lewis told MCV. “We were looking forward to some friendly rivalry and the chance to prove that games look and play better on Xbox 360 - but Sony didn't show!”

Lewis also talked up Microsoft’s relationship with UK retail and praised the performance of stores over the festive period.

“Our highlight of the season was definitely seeing and hearing the customer reaction to the great value retail offers we had in place thanks to some great teamwork with our retail and publisher partners,” he added. “Customers really loved being able to get their hands on an Xbox 360 plus games like Gears of War and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 for a great price.”

However, Lewis shied away from weighing up Microsoft’s Christmas performance on 360 with the previous year, saying that the two periods were incomparable.

“It's difficult to compare Xbox 360 in Christmas 2006 to the previous year,” he said. “This year we had plenty of stock, a fantastic portfolio of games and some great retail offers and the difference it made was significant. We're very pleased with our Christmas performance.”

Feeding Sony some more fuel this seems.

LaOMaN
01-11-2007, 14:54
ps3 is out now. no need for this bs pr stuff. i guess we have to wait untill christmas to find out who better

OKlondon
01-11-2007, 14:55
Are bless MS, enjoy it while it lasts :lol:

GEEZER
01-11-2007, 14:56
Microsoft’s European Xbox VP Chris Lewis has told MCV that the company was disappointed by Sony’s “no-show” over Christmas – because it would have been the perfect time for 360 to prove its dominance.

Link (http://www.mcvuk.com/Xbox-boss-tells-Sony-Wish-you-were-here)

Feeding Sony some more fuel this seems.

MS is running scared. They already released the HD-DVD add on, next is the larger HD and HDMI. They are obviously trying to compete with the PS3's capabilities and features. MS is more worried than they are letting on. MS used to take the Nintendo route and be a class act. Now they are trash talking. It will be nice when the PS3 kicks MS arse.

LaOMaN
01-11-2007, 14:56
ps3 got
hs
mgs4
motorstorm
lair

so 4 games that im intrested in
other then that i think thats all the good games coming out

OKlondon
01-11-2007, 15:02
ps3 got
hs
mgs4
motorstorm
lair

For me its,

Heavenly Sword
Lair
Motorstorm
MGS4
FF13
White Knight Story
F1
Resistance
VF5
GTA5

For the 360 all like is:

Lost Planet
Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Gears of War
VF5
GTA5

there are a few games more but cant think off the top of my head.

GEEZER
01-11-2007, 15:02
Like the 360 had a perfect launch. They had shortages and the 360's that made it into people's homes were plaqued by the Red Ring of Death. MS is having selective memory.

LaOMaN
01-11-2007, 15:05
For me its,

Heavenly Sword
Lair
Motorstorm
MGS4
FF13
White Knight Story
F1
Resistance
VF5
GTA5

For the 360 all like is:

Lost Planet
Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Gears of War
VF5
GTA5

there are a few games more but cant think off the top of my head.

gta5 = 2008
FF13 = i think 2008
White Knight Story = i think 2008
i maybe wrong tho
but ps3 got good line up

A7MAD
01-11-2007, 15:05
I actually want Sony to reply and address this claim made by this rep of MS.

nashim
01-11-2007, 15:09
Oh dear.

Makes MS look like a bunch of arrogant swines, or atleast the man who said it comes across as one.

"and the chance to prove that games look and play better on Xbox 360 - but Sony didn't show!"

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the PS3 much more powerful than the 360?

Sparc
01-11-2007, 15:09
I just don't see the point of MS making a statement like that regarding the xmas period. Muppets.

OKlondon
01-11-2007, 15:11
gta5 = 2008
FF13 = i think 2008
i maybe wrong tho
but ps3 got good line up

GTA5 october 19th unless delay, yep White Knight Story, FF13 and most probably MGS4 will come out in 2008. Was just thinking in general.

I think all consoles have got good line ups, apart from Wii, not a big fan. So its going to be a great year.

PsychoMantis
01-11-2007, 15:13
You figure if HD-DVD goes sour what other alternative do they have? Most likely blu-ray. Then shipments of new systems will be on standby until they can start installing blu-ray drives. MS is flexing to much muscle at this point in time IMO. I think that they should see how HD-DVD preforms and if its successful then start the talking. Besides having a higher price sony will do good. MS will also do good with a year ahead of the other guys and a strong fan base on XBL.

MGS4 from last I heard is supposed to come out in November 07 unless its been changed.

A7MAD
01-11-2007, 15:14

Powerful? In some ways yes, the Cell is unmatched this gen, but the RSX according to developers for both consoles is not as good as the X360's Xenos GPU...

I don't give personal opinions because I'm not qualified which is why I am stating what the devs have said.

One thing that is certain is MS better be careful with what they say, Sony have the power to kick some serious ass and a fanbase to match, I love the X360 but I love the PS3 also, great time to be a gamer.

SpaceMonkeyDave
01-11-2007, 15:53
wow
final fantasy 13
nuff said

skulpt
01-11-2007, 16:07
It's the diversity of games that makes the PS brand strong, and makes me a PS fan.

FF 13 (2 versions)
MGS 4
Heavenly Sword
GT 5
Motorstorm (top on my list)
Killzone 2 (yet to prove anything though)
New DMC
God of War sequel
ICO sequel
Ratchet and Clank Sequel
Jak and Daxter Sequel
Socom Sequel

The PS3 brand covers a lot of ground, and does so with history behind the games. Both systems will do great, but Sony has nothing to worry about here.

Brian

DayWalker
01-11-2007, 16:09
:lol:
you have to give to MS... they certainly know how to talk the talk.

To this point the whole console war, imo, has been pretty anti-climatic.
I think the imminent release of Halo 3 and the Sony counter of Killzone and MGS will be the point where it finally gets interesting.

thekingofkings
01-11-2007, 16:10
ps3 got
hs
mgs4
motorstorm
lair

Drop Motorstorm, Lair and whatever HS is and that's about all that I find interesting on PS3.

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 16:11
Microsoft really needs to shake the perception that all t hey have is halo....halo is good but I would not count it as the best game comming out for the 360 this year.

DayWalker
01-11-2007, 16:13
Microsoft really needs to shake the perception that all t hey have is halo....halo is good but I would not count it as the best game comming out for the 360 this year.

they do but maybe they shouldn't.
That game moves more consoles than anything I have ever seen...

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 16:15
Heheheh well I have seen it with final fantasy....I would just like to hear something like...gears of war, halo, blue dragon etc....with that kind of hype...

Scotracer
01-11-2007, 16:17
Oh look, the Sony defense force is out en masse...:lol:

Why are you all so quick to show "TEH LIST", all he says is that Sony made a pretty poor effort for Winter '06...that's all. He wasn't bashing the PS3 heavily, he just wants Sony to step up to the mark.

Right now, there is nothing (IMO) to make me go out and buy a PS3. "Right now" has heavy emphasis...sheesh, everyone calm down!

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 16:19
Scotracer...I tend to just ignore the list now....seen it eneough times...I think we successfully moved away from that anyways.

thekingofkings
01-11-2007, 16:22
Yea "The List" tell me about it.

consoleboi
01-11-2007, 16:41
Microsoft is insecure and needs to spew garbage.
Get over it and concentrate on making better games..ie..more RPG...and good platformers...

Grym
01-11-2007, 16:47
IMO 360 had a really lackluser launch compared with PS3 so he shouldn't talk. (yet) :)

consoleboi
01-11-2007, 16:53
IMO 360 had a really lackluser launch compared with PS3 so he shouldn't talk. (yet) :)

No kidding.

PS3 was the first to have TRUE 1080P gaming on launch day (not upscaled gimmick).
PS3 had hi-def movie playback on launch day and no bullsh*t add-on.
PS3 is quiet and ermm..faulty units?..gosh..0.0001%?

EDIT: I had one of the faulty Xbox360 units

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 16:56
They also had the ability to play ports of xbox360 games on a much more expensive system...if we want to look at all the information...

OKlondon
01-11-2007, 17:01

Everyone thinks that, but when I think of the 360 I dont think of Halo, dont think it ll be good, not looking forward to it and I think the 360 has better games out already and better games coming out.

Sure not a lot of 360 games I find interesting, and its visa versa for 360 fans, but Halo is not the great thing since sliced bread it never was and this gen, Halo is going surpassed by more than one title.

SpaceMonkeyDave
01-11-2007, 17:07
Everyone thinks that, but when I think of the 360 I dont think of Halo, dont think it ll be good, not looking forward to it and I think the 360 has better games out already and better games coming out.

Sure not a lot of 360 games I find interesting, and its visa versa for 360 fans, but Halo is not the great thing since sliced bread it never was and this gen, Halo is going surpassed by more than one title.

in my opinion at the moment gears batters halo
but thats just my current opinion that could change as time moves onward

i was not impressed on how they are doing the animations after watching the brute video though

for god sake bungie get some professional actors in wearing real armour so that the characters move realistically, dont just do it yourselves in t-shirts, (the tom clancy games do this so i can't see why bungie can't do it)
dissapointed..

and while it did look nice there isnt any cool new effects really.. (blood spurts, water effects, explosions etc)
i hope this changes.....

OKlondon
01-11-2007, 17:10
in my opinion at the moment gears batters halo
but thats just my current opinion that could change as time moves onward

i was not impressed on how they are doing the animations after watching the brute video though

for god sake bungie get some professional actors in wearing real armour so that the characters move realistically, dont just do it yourselves in t-shirts, (the tom clancy games do this so i can't see why bungie can't do it)
dissapointed..

and while it did look nice there isnt any cool new effects really.. (blood spurts, water effects, explosions etc)
i hope this changes.....

Yeah same a lot of people say Gears of War is better, which could be true or its just because they are playing Gears of War now.

But at the moment I m not too impressed with Halo, graphically as for gameplay, etc have to wait till I play it.

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 17:14
If they had released a cg only video...and then came out looking worse I would be more upset, at least this way we see it getting better.

SpaceMonkeyDave
01-11-2007, 17:16
Yeah same a lot of people say Gears of War is better, which could be true or its just because they are playing Gears of War now.

well perhaps..
im having alot more fun with gears than i did with halo 2, thats for sure..

SpaceMonkeyDave
01-11-2007, 17:17
If they had released a cg only video...and then came out looking worse I would be more upset, at least this way we see it getting better.

i thought the e3 trailer looked better than the current gameplay footage?

consoleboi
01-11-2007, 17:20
i thought the e3 trailer looked better than the current gameplay footage?

The E3 trailer was just CG...and not actual gameplay footage.
Like Killzone2, it was something the devs hoped to aim for.

As you can see from the latest demo/making, they have very very far to go.

Fedos
01-11-2007, 17:26
The E3 trailer was just CG...and not actual gameplay footage.

That's not true. Bungie showed people from the press the trailer while they were rotating the camera.

consoleboi
01-11-2007, 17:37
That's not true. Bungie showed people from the press the trailer while they were rotating the camera.

If that was true, then why is their latest "making the game" demo such crap?
I know I know..months and months away from release but come on..the textures, the models, etc look like xbox halo upgraded to high def.

overthirtygamernj
01-11-2007, 17:37
It cracks me up that people continue to get baited into a frenzy by these comments. Both sides take pot shots--anyone who thinks that one does it more than the other is just a fan boy. It is a competition, of course they are going to say things about each other. Who care, we have two great consoles and ton of great games to look forward to on both of them.

I wish people would stop with all these OH MY GOD MS/Sony said this threads, they are total flame bait.

Stickboy46
01-11-2007, 17:43
Am i the only one that noticed that this guy is the head of the UK division. And all he was really saying is they had no competition from sony because sony is not in europe yet??

Ryan

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 17:52
Like the 360 had a perfect launch. They had shortages and the 360's that made it into people's homes were plaqued by the Red Ring of Death. MS is having selective memory.

I honestly don't think this post had much to do the shortages. It is just Microsofts way of saying you guys were too late, should have gotten in the European game earlier. And its true. Look what has happened to the PS3, first extreme shortages, then all of a sudden PS3's sitting on the floor for DAYS. Thats bad no matter how you want to try and spin it.

Am i the only one that noticed that this guy is the head of the UK division. And all he was really saying is they had no competition from sony because sony is not in europe yet??

Ryan

I noticed it too but apparently the PS3 fanboys were to busy trying to defend their console from what they thought was a huge bash on them. In reality, it is not all that big, but most people don't look beyond the title of the post.

Oh and for those talking about HD-DVD what are you talking about? Microsoft would NEVER have to halt production on Xbox 360's so that they could install a Blu-Ray player. For one, HD-DVD drives don't play games, so even if HD-DVD died out then it wouldn't require Microsoft to suddenly find a different next gen format, but secondly the HD-DVD drive is SEPERATE! Its and accessory! Thats the whole point, if HD-DVD dies, Microsoft doesn't have to worry at ALL. Sony on the other hand will have to worry big time if Blu-Ray dies.

Fangrim
01-11-2007, 18:07

They still got red rings in abundance ;)

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 18:14
yeah, in abundance....whatever, I think its more an isolated problem now.

Metal Militia
01-11-2007, 18:16
Thats the whole point, if HD-DVD dies, Microsoft doesn't have to worry at ALL. Sony on the other hand will have to worry big time if Blu-Ray dies.

This is only true if you assume that people are only buying the PS3 for the Blu-Ray movie playback. PS3 developers can still make games on Blu-ray or even drop back to DVD if they really have to, and all I care about is the games. The Bluray player is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

BudFox
01-11-2007, 18:22
yeah a $200 forced bonus. I don't think it's unfair for MS to call sony out for being late, un-prepared, and seriously behind at this point.

It seriously is taking sony a long time to get anything decent out the door.

consoleboi
01-11-2007, 18:30
yeah a $200 forced bonus. I don't think it's unfair for MS to call sony out for being late, un-prepared, and seriously behind at this point.

It seriously is taking sony a long time to get anything decent out the door.

What do you call paying $60 a year for live?
Yah it's not forced. It's a "choice".

I'm perfectly happy that the PS3 was delayed in order to have blu-ray. I would've been happy with Microsoft delaying their console and putting hd-dvd/blu-ray drive and HDMI output. But noo..they rushed to market and hence now the ridiculous add-on and 1080P playback ONLY via VGA.

Did I mention VGA output has horrible washout look?

Yah way to go MS!

Let's not even go there for the promised built-in wireless network. At least the premium should have it built-in. $100 for the add-on card...right...

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 18:33
This is only true if you assume that people are only buying the PS3 for the Blu-Ray movie playback. PS3 developers can still make games on Blu-ray or even drop back to DVD if they really have to, and all I care about is the games. The Bluray player is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Not even close buddy, you are WAAAY off. If Blu-Ray dies then the following will become problems for Sony:

1. Production costs will never see dramatic decreases, because no one but sony is making Blu-Ray players. This means NO price drop for the PS3. Considering its the highest price console, has the lowest sales, and is sitting on shelves right now... thats not good.

2. Developers will still have to pay a price to use the Blu-Ray disc, and that price will never go away for the first reason, so eventually many developers may get upset over that sort of extortion and leave Sony.

I mean come on, if they see that the 360 and Wii have a higher fanbase, and lower costs to develop for, plus they don't have to pay for that ridiculous Blu-Ray fee... everyone will go to 360 or Wii. Well not everyone, but generally developers have more dedication to their wallet than to the console they develop for. If Sony ****s up this gen, don't expect a lot of the big names to stay with them.

Apoc
01-11-2007, 18:38
I wonder what they'll say when the PS3 finally arrives in Europe.

woy
01-11-2007, 18:40
They should enjoy the fun while it lasts. The truth is that there's no way they're gonna defeat Sony and they know it. Without Japan their hopes and dreams are gone. The only company that is a threat to Sony's domination is Nintendo IMHO.

Metal Militia
01-11-2007, 18:40
First off, I live in the UK. The PS3 is not available here yet so any prices I state are rumoured/guestimated.

Premium 360 - £280

20GB PS3 - estimated to be ~£350

Difference - £70 which is about $130

I dunno about you but £70 really is very little difference to someone with a job and the 20GB PS3 does everything the premium 360 does and more (well, ok the pad doesn't rumble ;). Compare like for like please. I don't know the exact prices of the PS3 and 360 in the US so please dont flame me if the 20GB PS3 is $200 more than the premium 360.

What really gets me is that I've heard a 360 owner say "wow, £130 is a really great price for a HD-DVD add on" the same guy obviously said the PS3 is overpriced.

About the actual topic: As people have said, yeah it was a European rep obviously talking about the absence of the PS3 in Europe this Christmas. I'm gonna cry in the corner now.

To Unr3stricted: So dropping back to DVD will never be an option? I'm not sure whether Sony would rather see their format die alone or let their console go down with it tbh.

consoleboi
01-11-2007, 18:47
I wonder what they'll say when the PS3 finally arrives in Europe.

Blu-ray add-on =)
Price: $299

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 18:53
Do you not understand the word choice? I figured everyone knew this, but here is the definition:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
choice /tʃɔɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[chois] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, adjective, choic·er, choic·est.
–noun
1. an act or instance of choosing; selection: Her choice of a computer was made after months of research. His parents were not happy with his choice of friends.
2. the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option: The child had no choice about going to school.
3. the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen: This book is my choice. He is one of many choices for the award.
4. an alternative: There is another choice.
5. an abundance or variety from which to choose: a wide choice of candidates.

After reading that your sarcastic remark makes very little actual sense. Why? Cause you really DO have a choice with Xbox Live, but not with Blu-Ray. See, to get an Xbox 360 and play 360 games, you can buy an Xbox 360 without the $200 that it costs for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Then you can buy HD-DVD separately. Xbox Live on the other hand, is NOT needed for gameplay. Either via system link, split screen, or just playing single player, you can utilize all methods of gaming without paying for Xbox Live. Its your choice.

I'm perfectly happy that the PS3 was delayed in order to have blu-ray. I would've been happy with Microsoft delaying their console and putting hd-dvd/blu-ray drive and HDMI output. But noo..they rushed to market and hence now the ridiculous add-on and 1080P playback ONLY via VGA.

And why is the add-on ridiculous? In the end, MOST people (cause most people don't have an HD-TV) can't use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, so they all save money. The small percentage that CAN use HD can purchase the HD-DVD player for a very, very reasonable price. Ridiculous? I think not. As for lower resolutions than 1080p... try using component cables. They support up to 1080i (therefore showing that you have all resolutions covered) through component, which if I am not mistaken is supported on all HDTV's.

[/QUOTE]Yah way to go MS!

Let's not even go there for the promised built-in wireless network. At least the premium should have it built-in. $100 for the add-on card...right...[/QUOTE]

When the hell was built-in wireless promised? I followed the Xbox 360 for 2 years prior to its release, and never heard that confirmed. If you are mad about rumors and hype then thats your own fault. Also, Microsoft has been in the business of online gaming much longer than Sony, and they know that wireless gaming sucks big time. Its not even worth it. That, and added cost to their console are probably why they didn't include it, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't use ****ty wireless gaming if it was the only way I could play. Its laggy, its unreliable, and its just not fun, I'd rather get out and do something productive.

blue Fantasy
01-11-2007, 18:54
:lol:
you have to give to MS... they certainly know how to talk the talk.

To this point the whole console war, imo, has been pretty anti-climatic.
I think the imminent release of Halo 3 and the Sony counter of Killzone and MGS will be the point where it finally gets interesting.

KZ and MGS are given way too much credit as an 'AAA major' game. Killzone 1 was hyped the same way, as a Halo-killer, and it definitely didn't even come close. MGS3, while a good game, didn't sell nearly as well as people think. MGS is still popular, but not as big as used to be. Killzone 2 will sell because of the hype, like the first one, but neither KZ2 nor MGS4 will sell anywhere close to what Halo 3 will. Halo 3 pre-orders are already on the rise, and it will most likely be the most pre-ordered game of all time, beating out the current record holder...Halo 2.

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 18:59
Do you not understand the word choice? I figured everyone knew this, but here is the definition:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
choice /tʃɔɪs/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[chois] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, adjective, choic·er, choic·est.
–noun
1. an act or instance of choosing; selection: Her choice of a computer was made after months of research. His parents were not happy with his choice of friends.
2. the right, power, or opportunity to choose; option: The child had no choice about going to school.
3. the person or thing chosen or eligible to be chosen: This book is my choice. He is one of many choices for the award.
4. an alternative: There is another choice.
5. an abundance or variety from which to choose: a wide choice of candidates.

After reading that your sarcastic remark makes very little actual sense. Why? Cause you really DO have a choice with Xbox Live, but not with Blu-Ray. See, to get an Xbox 360 and play 360 games, you can buy an Xbox 360 without the $200 that it costs for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Then you can buy HD-DVD separately. Xbox Live on the other hand, is NOT needed for gameplay. Either via system link, split screen, or just playing single player, you can utilize all methods of gaming without paying for Xbox Live. Its your choice. I can't say that I have a choice with the PS3, if I don't want Blu-Ray, too bad, I have to pay the extra money anyways, because its built in.

And why is the add-on ridiculous? In the end, MOST people (cause most people don't have an HD-TV) can't use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, so they all save money. The small percentage that CAN use HD can purchase the HD-DVD player for a very, very reasonable price. Ridiculous? I think not. As for lower resolutions than 1080p... try using component cables. They support up to 1080i (therefore showing that you have all resolutions covered) through component, which if I am not mistaken is supported on all HDTV's.

Yah way to go MS!

Let's not even go there for the promised built-in wireless network. At least the premium should have it built-in. $100 for the add-on card...right...

When the hell was built-in wireless promised? I followed the Xbox 360 for 2 years prior to its release, and never heard that confirmed. If you are mad about rumors and hype then thats your own fault. Also, Microsoft has been in the business of online gaming much longer than Sony, and they know that wireless gaming sucks big time. Its not even worth it. That, and added cost to their console are probably why they didn't include it, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't use ****ty wireless gaming if it was the only way I could play. Its laggy, its unreliable, and its just not fun, I'd rather get out and do something productive.

LevelheadedGamer
01-11-2007, 19:07

Do you? No one has to buy the ps3 if they dont feel its value for money. Theres your choice.

Pez_555
01-11-2007, 19:08
gta5 = 2008
FF13 = i think 2008
i maybe wrong tho
but ps3 got good line up

GTA5? i thought it was GTA4?

thekingofkings
01-11-2007, 19:08
Microsoft has been in the business of online gaming much longer than Sony, and they know that wireless gaming sucks big time. Its not even worth it. That, and added cost to their console are probably why they didn't include it, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't use ****ty wireless gaming if it was the only way I could play. Its laggy, its unreliable, and its just not fun, I'd rather get out and do something productive.

I have the wireless adaptor and I NEVER expierence any online issues. In fact most people I play with prefer me to host the games since mines always the strongest signal.

Noryl
01-11-2007, 19:13
Oh dear.

Makes MS look like a bunch of arrogant swines, or atleast the man who said it comes across as one.

"and the chance to prove that games look and play better on Xbox 360 - but Sony didn't show!"

You wrong and right. Both 360 and ps3 have bottlenecks in there tech. Because of this, both console are on the same playing field. But ps3 from a tech stand point has some newer tech but so does 360. 360 gpu is newer tech compare to ps3. 360 can use its overall ram better then ps3. 360 triple core is general purpose, making it better for "gaming" purposes. Ps3 has newer/faster processor and drive and that new xdr rambus ram. But it sounds all good but both consoles have bottlenecks. Sadly this keeps them from surpassing one another.

LevelheadedGamer
01-11-2007, 19:22
You wrong and right. Both 360 and ps3 have bottlenecks in there tech. Because of this, both console are on the same playing field. But ps3 from a tech stand point has some newer tech but so does 360. 360 gpu is newer tech compare to ps3. 360 can use its overall ram better then ps3. 360 triple core is general purpose, making it better for "gaming" purposes. Ps3 has newer/faster processor and drive and that new xdr rambus ram. But it sounds all good but both consoles have bottlenecks. Sadly this keeps them from surpassing one another.

We'll just need to wait and see, wont we.

Evil_the_Cat
01-11-2007, 19:36
Ah, MS, still the hypocrites. nothing ever changes. PS3 seems to be doing a lot better than 360 did this time a year ago, even though, unlike the 360, it is actually competing agains other next-gen systems...

Hope Sony will actually be smart enough not to reply to this...I wish...

NYJET626
01-11-2007, 19:53
After reading that your sarcastic remark makes very little actual sense. Why? Cause you really DO have a choice with Xbox Live, but not with Blu-Ray. See, to get an Xbox 360 and play 360 games, you can buy an Xbox 360 without the $200 that it costs for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Then you can buy HD-DVD separately. Xbox Live on the other hand, is NOT needed for gameplay. Either via system link, split screen, or just playing single player, you can utilize all methods of gaming without paying for Xbox Live. Its your choice. I can't say that I have a choice with the PS3, if I don't want Blu-Ray, too bad, I have to pay the extra money anyways, because its built in.

Apparently you don't understand choice either. Us consumers have 3 consoles to choose from. If we want a PS3 we know damn well what we are getting. Same with the 360 and Wii. If you look at a PS3 and say "oh, I don't want Blu-ray" then you could choose a 360 or a Wii. As simple as that, enough said. ****in ridiculous already with this stupid choice bull****.

On the other hand if you are going to talk about choice, then talk about value, and clearly there is only 2 choices for a great value. The 20gb PS3 and the 60gb PS3.

Rubics Cube
01-11-2007, 19:55
I love their confidence. They have been the underdog coming into this console race, and they have slowly worked their way to the top. Cheers to competition!

J3ff3
01-11-2007, 20:00

+rep.
i have nothing else to say but '5 word limit.'

TheDoctor
01-11-2007, 20:03
What would you propose they reply with? "Had we kept to our launch schedule we would have beaten you"?

As ahs been stated before, READ the article. It regards the EU where PS3 != launched.

Evil - it's "competing agaisnt other next gen systemS". This must therefore mean that they are competing with it, and there are 2 or more of them. Care to name them?

Dissident
01-11-2007, 20:07
Hahahah the same 360 haters that were all "you go sony" when their rep talked trash are now crying a river over this. The truth hurts.

Rubics Cube
01-11-2007, 20:29
They still got red rings in abundance ;)

Not to mention the flashing red light that the PS3's are getting, like mine ddi :cry:

They should enjoy the fun while it lasts. The truth is that there's no way they're gonna defeat Sony and they know it. Without Japan their hopes and dreams are gone. The only company that is a threat to Sony's domination is Nintendo IMHO.

Microsoft isn't worried about Sony any longer, as they don't find them as much of a challenge any longer as their consoles sit on shelves. Their focus now is the Wii, which is crushing them both in sales right now.

Do you? No one has to buy the ps3 if they dont feel its value for money. Theres your choice.

Nobody has to buy Live either.

I have the wireless adaptor and I NEVER expierence any online issues. In fact most people I play with prefer me to host the games since mines always the strongest signal.

Likewise. Wireless adapter works flawlessly here too.

BluBoi22
01-11-2007, 20:32
Microsoft isn't worried about Sony any longer, as they don't find them as much of a challenge any longer as their consoles sit on shelves. Their focus now is the Wii, which is crushing them both in sales right now.

If MS really thinks they beat Sony already, then they're dumb! The PS3 is not teh lose, it's going to come back and surpass 360 and Wii no later than 2010. You can quote me on that!

Vampirtc
01-11-2007, 20:44
If MS really thinks they beat Sony already, then they're dumb! The PS3 is not teh lose, it's going to come back and surpass 360 and Wii no later than 2010. You can quote me on that!

But if it will take so long for Sony to overtage market they have already lost. Just look at the market share PS2 has.

Ah, MS, still the hypocrites. nothing ever changes. PS3 seems to be doing a lot better than 360 did this time a year ago, even though, unlike the 360, it is actually competing agains other next-gen systems...

Hope Sony will actually be smart enough not to reply to this...I wish...

Actually that would be Sony with Ken being the biggest. Actually PS3 seems to be doing worse as Xbox 360 did, the numbers sold is about the same, but the game attach rate is far lower.

Evil_the_Cat
01-11-2007, 20:47
Evil - it's "competing agaisnt other next gen systemS". This must therefore mean that they are competing with it, and there are 2 or more of them. Care to name them?

Huh? Did I word it badly or something? Would 360 and Wii answer your question?

Hahahah the same 360 haters that were all "you go sony" when their rep talked trash are now crying a river over this. The truth hurts.

Meh. Its all just PR bs anyway. They can laugh at each other all they want, the fact of the matter is that this war is not over by a long run, especially not 2 month after Ps3s non-worldwide release...

Actually that would be Sony with Ken being the biggest. Actually PS3 seems to be doing worse as Xbox 360 did, the numbers sold is about the same, but the game attach rate is far lower.

I thought Ken was the arrogant one and Kaz was the hypocrite, hehe, nobody likes PR people these days...

I'm pretty certain that 360 hadn't sold/shipped (there seems to be no difference these days) over a million units by this stage a year ago. I could be wrong, and you are welcome to throw some proof my way.

Also, there were plenty of 360s on the shelves back then...well in Europe anyway.

Damn, sorry about the double post, my browser seems to be screwing up on me...

Do not double post~AJJets107

woodo
01-11-2007, 20:58
First off, I live in the UK. The PS3 is not available here yet so any prices I state are rumoured/guestimated.

Premium 360 - £280

20GB PS3 - estimated to be ~£350

Difference - £70 which is about $130

I to live in the UK and bought a premium 360 with gears of war for £270 last year!!!

Only an idiot would pay £280 - premiums (console only) are going for £250.

As the MS rep said it's been a great Christmas for the 360 in the UK, spurred on by cracking bundles at excellent prices.

i herd rumors on other forums and the like that said we (UK) aren't even getting the 20gb PS3 at launch - so the only option is the 60gb version at £425 (console only!) + games you talking over £500

you could buy 2 premium 360's a game with each for the same price as 1 PS3 + 2/3 games!!!

Vampirtc
01-11-2007, 20:59
I'm pretty certain that 360 hadn't sold/shipped (there seems to be no difference these days) over a million units by this stage a year ago. I could be wrong, and you are welcome to throw some proof my way.

Also, there were plenty of 360s on the shelves back then...well in Europe anyway.
Microsoft ships 1.5 million Xbox 360 units in Q4
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/26/microsoftq2_2006/

T2OY
01-11-2007, 21:05
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070107/BUSINESS/701070358/-1/ZONES04

M$ claims they sold 10 million units while this link claims only 150,000 have an HD-DVD upgrade kit for their Xbox 360 game consoles. Looks like 360 fans made their choice and the add-on is a flop. I believe K-fed sold more albums than 360 sold HD-DVD add-ons.

BluBoi22
01-11-2007, 21:15
But if it will take so long for Sony to overtage market they have already lost. Just look at the market share PS2 has.

If they sell more how is that losing:-? ?!? It just means they did worse than PS2. Also, I think it will be no later than 2009 that PS3 gets ahead, I think they will all be just about tied in 2008. I meant to say 09 before.

MS better enjoy the lead they have now because after the Euro PS3 launch, the gap will get smaller and smaller.

Evil_the_Cat
01-11-2007, 21:21
Microsoft ships 1.5 million Xbox 360 units in Q4
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/26/microsoftq2_2006/

Tom's hardware guide, reaks of reliability :D but whatever. I might have been wrong.

Sony has since announced the console shipped 1 million units in North America in 2006, nearly double the number of Xbox 360s sold in 2005. Both consoles went on sale in mid-November of their respective launch years.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163855.html?sid=6163855&part=rss&subj=6163855

Right so PS3 is doing better in US, and we can bet its doing better in Japan. Its outselling 360's launch in every region so far. With EU launch there will be another massive boost in sales. So I can't see how MS can afford to badmouth PS3... but, as I said, its all PR bs anyway... I doubt MS really believes what their PR people say...

Dissident
01-11-2007, 21:45
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/technology/11sony.html?_r=2&ref=technology&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

“We can’t keep Wiis in our stores,” said Naoko Ito, a spokeswoman for Bic Camera, one of Japan’s largest electronics retailers. “But we still have plenty of PlayStations.”

Limited supply and they're still sitting on shelves, Japan belongs to Nintendo.

Vampirtc
01-11-2007, 22:02
Right so PS3 is doing better in US, and we can bet its doing better in Japan. Its outselling 360's launch in every region so far. With EU launch there will be another massive boost in sales. So I can't see how MS can afford to badmouth PS3... but, as I said, its all PR bs anyway... I doubt MS really believes what their PR people say...

By year's end, Microsoft had sold 1.5 million units; including 900,000 in North America, 500,000 in Europe, and 100,000 in Japan.

So its 900K in NA.

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 22:07

Lol, you don't seem to understand business. You should give the consumer the choice to buy accessories, that is a given. Microsoft got that one down. Sony on the other hand, made the choice somewhat different. Instead of a choice on accessories, they made the console itself a choice. Bad business. Sony needed to make the console itself a given, not a choice, but by having such a large price tag, they turned it into a choice. And the public is "voting with their wallet" which is why the PS3 has sold so few units, and yet is still the earliest console to be widely available in stores, behind the the Wii and 360.

There's YOUR choice.

Zer0Force
01-11-2007, 22:11
KZ and MGS are given way too much credit as an 'AAA major' game. Killzone 1 was hyped the same way, as a Halo-killer, and it definitely didn't even come close. MGS3, while a good game, didn't sell nearly as well as people think. MGS is still popular, but not as big as used to be. Killzone 2 will sell because of the hype, like the first one, but neither KZ2 nor MGS4 will sell anywhere close to what Halo 3 will. Halo 3 pre-orders are already on the rise, and it will most likely be the most pre-ordered game of all time, beating out the current record holder...Halo 2.

Metal Gear Solids popularity is at the highest its ever been, its sells to the older gamers that remember the SNES(or NES) versions and new gamers that have started playing MGS games when MGS2(sold 7 million copies, thats only 1 million less then Halo 2) came out. Killzone was hyped by the media, the developers NEVER claimed it to be such a game. Also, I'd like to think crackdown would be the most pre-ordered game of all time.

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 22:29
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070107/BUSINESS/701070358/-1/ZONES04

M$ claims they sold 10 million units while this link claims only 150,000 have an HD-DVD upgrade kit for their Xbox 360 game consoles. Looks like 360 fans made their choice and the add-on is a flop. I believe K-fed sold more albums than 360 sold HD-DVD add-ons.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! The ignorance is killing me its so freaking funny!

Come on guys, learn your facts.

Less than 15% of Americans own an HDTV, and therefore less than 15% of Americans can utilize the HD-DVD add-ons. This right off the bat means that you aren't going to have millions upon millions sold, but since you guys don't seem to understand much of anything without extremely in-depth explanation, I'll go a little further for you.

For starters, it is important to note that the HD-DVD add-on is extremely hard to find, and hard to keep in stock than Microsoft originally expected. Low numbers (not that 150,000 is actually all that low) could be partially due to the fact that they can't keep up with demand.

For example, check amazon.com right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Player/dp/B000JHO4L0/sr=8-1/qid=1168554079/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6644053-8545629?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

When I posted the link, it said:

Only 4 left in stock--order soon.

Meaning, again, its hard to keep in stock.

Also consider that IF the same numbers for HDTV's still apply to Xbox 360 owners, then only a possible 1.5 million Xbox 360 owners could even use one in the first place. Thats a big IF too, but I'll leave it at that just for the sake of things. Once you consider the relatively small possible userbase, plus the fact that they can't barely keep them in stock and yeah, 150,000 is actually pretty good. Think about it, out of the possible userbase 10% of the people bought it. 10% isn't bad for an accessory, and the number is sure to go up.

Of course, thats just for you guys. I personally figure that since the Xbox 360 is a game system, and most gamers are between 16-25 that most of those gamers couldn't even afford an HDTV anyways. The % of people that can actually use the HD-DVD add on drive is probably more like 5% which would mean only 500,000 people could utilize it. That makes the sales WAY better. But since there are no facts its up to you guys to decide.

Either way though, it shows that the demand for HD gaming in general is not very high, because most people can't even use it. Thats why Microsoft's choice is such a good idea. You may not agree, but when Sony loses this war because their console was too expensive and developing games for Blu-Ray costs too much, you will agree. It may take 6 or 7 years, but you will agree.

natureman3
01-11-2007, 22:30

After reading that your sarcastic remark makes very little actual sense. Why? Cause you really DO have a choice with Xbox Live, but not with Blu-Ray. See, to get an Xbox 360 and play 360 games, you can buy an Xbox 360 without the $200 that it costs for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Then you can buy HD-DVD separately. Xbox Live on the other hand, is NOT needed for gameplay. Either via system link, split screen, or just playing single player, you can utilize all methods of gaming without paying for Xbox Live. Its your choice.

Yah way to go MS!

Let's not even go there for the promised built-in wireless network. At least the premium should have it built-in. $100 for the add-on card...right...[/QUOTE]

When the hell was built-in wireless promised? I followed the Xbox 360 for 2 years prior to its release, and never heard that confirmed. If you are mad about rumors and hype then thats your own fault. Also, Microsoft has been in the business of online gaming much longer than Sony, and they know that wireless gaming sucks big time. Its not even worth it. That, and added cost to their console are probably why they didn't include it, and I don't blame them. I wouldn't use ****ty wireless gaming if it was the only way I could play. Its laggy, its unreliable, and its just not fun, I'd rather get out and do something productive.[/QUOTE]

Choice is the worst thing in Console universe because it is its paradigm : fixed specs for everyone for a long period of time. Choice just split the userbase when it is not an accessory. And since me (and others) want HD playback, ps3 is cheaper.

Evil_the_Cat
01-11-2007, 22:31
By year's end, Microsoft had sold 1.5 million units; including 900,000 in North America, 500,000 in Europe, and 100,000 in Japan.

So its 900K in NA.

The article I provided just stated that PS3 sold 1000 000 in NA, which is twice the amount 360 sold in 2005...which means that 1000 000 / 2 = 500 000. So according to Gamespot 360 sold 500 000 360s in 2005 in NA...

Man, have we gone off topic

Rune_74
01-11-2007, 22:33
hehehe so how does wireless not being there (as it being a choice) split the userbase? Its not like you have to program it different...

unr3stricted
01-11-2007, 22:39
Choice is the worst thing in Console universe because it is its paradigm : fixed specs for everyone for a long period of time. Choice just split the userbase when it is not an accessory. And since me (and others) want HD playback, ps3 is cheaper.

What about what you just said makes any sense? I mean, come on, if you are going to argue something at least do it with some knowledge of what you are talking about. What exactly splits the userbase? HD-DVD players? They don't play games, only movies, so it CAN'T split the userbase. On the same subject, because it can't play games, the HD-DVD IS an accessory. And finally, a Core system with the HD-DVD add-on is the same price as the 20GB PS3. So it isn't cheaper either. Of course, thats just for HD movies. If all you need is HD games, cause you aren't sure who is going to win the format war, then the 360 is cheaper, cause you don't even NEED the HD-DVD add-on. Oh and as I mentioned before, only 15% of americans own an HDTV and the numbers that actually own a current gen game console in addition to that is probably more like 8%. Having the add-on, as opposed to just adding the price to the console itself, is a much better idea, since around 90% of people couldn't even use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray anyways.

Sorry, Xbox 360 wins that one.

LevelheadedGamer
01-11-2007, 23:03
Lol, you don't seem to understand business. You should give the consumer the choice to buy accessories, that is a given. Microsoft got that one down. Sony on the other hand, made the choice somewhat different. Instead of a choice on accessories, they made the console itself a choice. Bad business. Sony needed to make the console itself a given, not a choice, but by having such a large price tag, they turned it into a choice. And the public is "voting with their wallet" which is why the PS3 has sold so few units, and yet is still the earliest console to be widely available in stores, behind the the Wii and 360.

There's YOUR choice.

I understand business just fine thank you very much. I happen to be one of those consumers you mention and i prefer Sony's way. Your saying you should put the minimal amount of hardware in the box and let people upgrade using accessories. Im sorry is this the console or PC industry we are talking about?!? Sony have included tech in the ps3 which will keep it selling for years and years. That is good business practice.

Is that bad business?!? Its been said many times but in Sony's eyes this is a marathon, not a sprint. The price will come down as time goes by. Oh, and i really think you need to lay off the price. Taking into account the feature set of both consoles (which is what the current demographic of buyers will be doing) and comparing the $400 360 to the $500 ps3
i dont see it as that big of a price jump. Yes, ok, we get it, the ps3 is more expensive than 360 but you need to use perspective and stop acting as though the thing is $1000!

:bang: :dunce

Evil_the_Cat
01-11-2007, 23:36
What about what you just said makes any sense? I mean, come on, if you are going to argue something at least do it with some knowledge of what you are talking about. What exactly splits the userbase? HD-DVD players? They don't play games, only movies, so it CAN'T split the userbase. On the same subject, because it can't play games, the HD-DVD IS an accessory. And finally, a Core system with the HD-DVD add-on is the same price as the 20GB PS3. So it isn't cheaper either. Of course, thats just for HD movies. If all you need is HD games, cause you aren't sure who is going to win the format war, then the 360 is cheaper, cause you don't even NEED the HD-DVD add-on. Oh and as I mentioned before, only 15% of americans own an HDTV and the numbers that actually own a current gen game console in addition to that is probably more like 8%. Having the add-on, as opposed to just adding the price to the console itself, is a much better idea, since around 90% of people couldn't even use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray anyways.

Sorry, Xbox 360 wins that one.

I can't believe we're all still arguing about this...

People can, and do use PS3 Blu-Ray drive, every time they play a game that takes up more than DVD9's capacity could manage. Its functionality wasn't comparable to 360 HD-DVD player the second Resistance: Fall of Men came out.

Including the Blu-ray drive was the better buisness decision for Sony, as it will raise Blu-Rays popularity. But as Sony go out of their way to proove to us that Blu-Ray was indeed needed we, the consumers, will also profit by getting better games...

sushi_boots
01-12-2007, 04:14
Man this guy sure is ****y. Europe shares only 3% of the Xbox360's market share. They've only sold 2.64 million there. Its kind of obvious that Europe doesn't care that much for the system. PS3 will catch up in no time.