PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Music To Appear On PS3 Using a USB Device?

Copyright
04-03-2007, 15:21
I Was Just Wondering Because I created A "PS3" Folder Put A "Music" Inside It And Put The Band Name's Music In A New Folder.It Didn't Work.
Do I Have To Put PS3>GAME>MUSIC?
If I Do/Don't Please Tell Me, Because It Would Save Me About 124 Cd's.
Thanks,
And Vista SucKs,
VistaSucKs

Breed
04-03-2007, 15:23
I don't have a PS3 but did a quick google search. See if this helps:

First of all, go onto 'System Settings' then select 'Enable WMA Playback', all this does is alows you to play WMA, a common audio format.
Secondly, find your plugged in device and then press Triangle to go onto options and then select 'Display All' which allows you to view all files on the divice regardless to whether they do or dont work with the PS3.
Example for iPods.
Music - USB Device (iPod) - [press Triangle] - Display All - iPod_Control - Music - Then select a folder to list songs.

Copy files to your HDD for easier access (obviously) or in the case of a photo, to use as a User Avatar (not online user.)

MonkeyClaw
04-03-2007, 15:24
Try pressing the triangle button and selecting 'Display All', this will show everything on the USB device!

Copyright
04-03-2007, 15:28
I don't have a PS3 but did a quick google search. See if this helps:

First of all, go onto 'System Settings' then select 'Enable WMA Playback', all this does is alows you to play WMA, a common audio format.
Secondly, find your plugged in device and then press Triangle to go onto options and then select 'Display All' which allows you to view all files on the divice regardless to whether they do or dont work with the PS3.
Example for iPods.
Music - USB Device (iPod) - [press Triangle] - Display All - iPod_Control - Music - Then select a folder to list songs.

Copy files to your HDD for easier access (obviously) or in the case of a photo, to use as a User Avatar (not online user.)
Rep For You, Because You tried to help even though you are a 360 fan(That's a 1st)!
No That Doesn't Work, It Doesn't Show Anything, Including Mp3's Etc.
Also, On That Subject, What Format Does It Have To Be

blueCommand
04-03-2007, 15:31
Give it a try with NOT having it in the PS3 folder but just like any other folder

MonkeyClaw
04-03-2007, 15:32
Rep For You, Because You tried to help even though you are a 360 fan(That's a 1st)!

It *should* be able to play MP3, WMA and WAV files...what format are you using?

Breed
04-03-2007, 15:37

*WAKES UP OUT OF SLEEP*

Huh? WTF have i done... I meant get a 360 you n00b!

But serisouly, try what the blueCommand above me said, put the files on the root of the drive, dont use a PS3 folder.

I know that the PSP will only play WMA, MP3 Atrac3 and unprotected m4a (AAC) files. So try using one of these formats.

Copyright
04-03-2007, 15:39
Give it a try with NOT having it in the PS3 folder but just like any other folder
Thanks, Ill Try It, Post Results In A Minute Or 2

Copyright
04-03-2007, 15:41
*WAKES UP OUT OF SLEEP*

Huh? WTF have i done... I meant get a 360 you n00b!

You Didn't Say anything about Getting a 360

ajrobin
04-03-2007, 15:42
Thanks, Ill Try It, Post Results In A Minute Or 2

If the solutions above don't work you could try and burn a data dvd of music and copy it that way. Not sure if its possible or not, just a suggestion.

Breed
04-03-2007, 15:43
You Didn't Say anything about Getting a 360

I know it was a joke... lol So did the folderless thing work?

capps
04-03-2007, 15:44
What type of MP3 player are you using, and what program do you use to import tracks to your MP3 player? If you're using an IPod and ITunes like me, you can go the route of hitting triangle and a bunch of folders will come up. Then you can import everything over, but the problem is that you run into an obstacle setup by Apple in that they scramble a large portion of the folders so it doesn't show the name of the track or any of the track info (it'll just have random numbers) as you are not playing them inside of the ITunes environment. The tracks will still play, you just won't know what they are until you play them. This is one gripe that I have with ITunes. I can't get my wife's Zune to be recognized at all on the PS3.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem that I mentioned above?

Breed
04-03-2007, 15:48
What type of MP3 player are you using, and what program do you use to import tracks to your MP3 player? If you're using an IPod and ITunes like me, you can go the route of hitting triangle and a bunch of folders will come up. Then you can import everything over, but the problem is that you run into an obstacle setup by Apple in that they scramble a large portion of the folders so it doesn't show the name of the track or any of the track info (it'll just have random numbers) as you are not playing them inside of the ITunes environment. The tracks will still play, you just won't know what they are until you play them. This is one gripe that I have with ITunes. I can't get my wife's Zune to be recognized at all on the PS3.

Does anyone know how to get around this problem that I mentioned above?

The Zune uses a propritary protocol that isn't even Microsoft's own PlaysForSure standard. It doesn't work with ANYTHING except the lame Zune software.

Copyright
04-03-2007, 15:50
If the solutions above don't work you could try and burn a data dvd of music and copy it that way. Not sure if its possible or not, just a suggestion.
Thanks, Ill Just Burn CD's Now, Problem Solved, Possibly

Organic_Shadow
04-03-2007, 15:52
Try pressing the triangle button and selecting 'Display All', this will show everything on the USB device!

Wow, I didn't know that. I've been putting everything in PS3>MUSIC>[FOLDERTHATCONTAINSMP3FILES]

Thanks for the tip. I like the feature that allows you to copy all, and then check a box next to each file you want copied. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Oh, and does anyone know how to get album art onto the mp3 files? I bought some music from bleep.com and they have it embedded automatically, but I have a lot of music that doesn't have it on there. I used to use a program called Godfather, but it's too much of a pain.

itunes is also out of the question. Does the new version of PS3 Video 9 do this?

RicanJoe
04-03-2007, 17:13
All You Do Is Press Triangle And Display All!

MonkeyClaw
04-03-2007, 17:14
Wow, I didn't know that. I've been putting everything in PS3>MUSIC>[FOLDERTHATCONTAINSMP3FILES]

Thanks for the tip. I like the feature that allows you to copy all, and then check a box next to each file you want copied. Saves a lot of time and frustration.

Oh, and does anyone know how to get album art onto the mp3 files? I bought some music from bleep.com and they have it embedded automatically, but I have a lot of music that doesn't have it on there. I used to use a program called Godfather, but it's too much of a pain.

itunes is also out of the question. Does the new version of PS3 Video 9 do this?

I don't think it does album art (yet), but then again I haven't actually tried since the v1.60 update...I don't remember seeing anything in PS3 Video 9 either unfortunately...If you do try it though, please let me know if it works!

gsx20
04-03-2007, 18:14

Does this work for burned DVD's also?

MonkeyClaw
04-03-2007, 18:49
Does this work for burned DVD's also?

If it is an actual DVD that is playable in a normal DVD player then you won't be able to rip the video from the disc, which if it is a DVD then it should just show up as DVD-Video under the Video section...now if you rip the video from the DVD with programs like DVD Decrypter and merge and rename them to a .MPG and burn that file to a DVD then yes you can just press the triangle and do the 'Display All' and either play the video there or copy it over to the PS3.

keisukeMamoru86
04-03-2007, 19:03
Thanks, Ill Just Burn CD's Now, Problem Solved, Possibly
So does your USB stick show up at all under the Music tab? You'll take an eternity if you try to rip/burn CDs one by one. If your USB stick shows up under Music, then tap Triangle on it, select Display All, then navigate to the folder where your music is. Then hit Triangle on your folder, then hit Copy.

Basically the same as everyone else is saying.

sarah007
04-03-2007, 22:01
i'm trying to put some music on my ps3 but no luck can't seem to dectect on the files on my ps3!

Copyright
04-05-2007, 08:23
i'm trying to put some music on my ps3 but no luck can't seem to dectect on the files on my ps3!
Yeah I Noticed In Your Other Thread.
That Makes 2.
We Need Help, And Fast(Preferably)
Just Ask For More Details, If You Need Them

superJoel
04-12-2007, 21:23
Hey,

Allright... if you Hit Triangle and then Display all and you see your folders, but no music shows up after you enter the folder, this will help, but if that's not your problem... then I don't know.

Here is what I did to get it to work for me. I have an external HD hooked up via a USB connnection. On my HD my folders were named MUSIC/BAND_NAME/ALBUM_TITLE/song.mp3... but the music would not show up. I found that if you reduce the number of folders to... MUSIC/BAND_ALBUM/song.mp3 then all of your music will show up... they have to be in the right format though.

But, if anyone can help me figure out how to get it to show up without pressing TRIANGLE then DISPLAY all... I believe it has something to do with the naming conventions... it works for my pictures for some reason... but not my music... If anyone knows about the naming conventions... like when you do an UPDATE via your USB drive it has to be in a PS3/UPDATE folder... but that didn't work for the music... let me know. Thanks.

Just checked it out on the PS3
Oh, and I was wrong... my music shows up when I enter the drive... but my pictures do not... wierd. And it seems as if I'm right about the number of folders. I had three Dave Matthew Band CD's under one Dave Matthew Band folder and the PS3 would not let me play it ... I just moved those folders directly under the MUSIC folder and the PS3 noticed it and allowed me to play the music.

charcol
04-17-2007, 01:31
I have found that I can usually play the music, but then I press the blue triangle, and copy, and then it goes through the process. Once its finished, the music is nowhere to be found.
Also very strange because I had a CD on there before, and now its gone??!

NeoDarkSaver
04-17-2007, 01:35
create a folder called "MUSIC" and put all ur songs there. it's not PS3/MUSIC,

superJoel
04-18-2007, 00:35
I have found that I can usually play the music, but then I press the blue triangle, and copy, and then it goes through the process. Once its finished, the music is nowhere to be found.
Also very strange because I had a CD on there before, and now its gone??!

look under another folder... I found that it had a similar problem... I can't remember the name of the folder... but I think it was under "various" or something.

create a folder called "MUSIC" and put all ur songs there. it's not PS3/MUSIC,

yeah... I figured that one out, it was my pictures that weren't working... I updated my post a while back. I tried a PICTURES folder a PHOTO and a PHOTOS folder; none seem to just open right up.

charcol
04-19-2007, 14:33
Yeah, I believe I read somewhere that PS3 doesn't yet support copying over of video or photos onto the hard drive. I find that pretty hard to believe in a system built like the ps3, but having said that, whenever you go to copy photos, the COPY selection is always greyed out. Doesn't really matter what media the photos are on. If you can browse it, you SHOULD be able to copy it to HDD, but you can't.

Zodia
04-19-2007, 14:49
Photos> PICTURE
Music> MUSIC
Videos>VIDEO

kendrid
04-19-2007, 15:18
What is amazing is how difficult this is to do on a "media center"...

Pressing triangle to view the entire contents of my USB drive is what I do. I do not want my music organized in the format of music/album, I want artist/album/files with a nice and tidy structure. The default PS3 (and PSP) interface is very unintuitive and cumbersome.

superJoel
04-20-2007, 20:17
Yeah, I believe I read somewhere that PS3 doesn't yet support copying over of video or photos onto the hard drive. I find that pretty hard to believe in a system built like the ps3, but having said that, whenever you go to copy photos, the COPY selection is always greyed out. Doesn't really matter what media the photos are on. If you can browse it, you SHOULD be able to copy it to HDD, but you can't.

I've copied plenty of photos and a few vids over to my HDD. hmmm.... wierd.

What is amazing is how difficult this is to do on a "media center"...

Pressing triangle to view the entire contents of my USB drive is what I do. I do not want my music organized in the format of music/album, I want artist/album/files with a nice and tidy structure. The default PS3 (and PSP) interface is very unintuitive and cumbersome.

yeah, this is pretty cumbersome... but I like it to pop up when I select the drive. I guess it would be easier to get rid of the music folder then delete the upper folder of everyone of my artist folders... hmmm... but then I would have all my folders mixed together and would be hard to surf them.

jyx
04-22-2007, 09:21
I am trying to get my music from itunes to my ps3. The way I did it was first burn the music to a cd, then imported it to my ps3. The problem was that I could not get the songinformation. Is it possible to edit this on my ps3? I then imported the music to a memorystick and put it in my pc, and edited the songinformation manually (a lot of work). Put my memorystick back in my ps3, and the songinformation did not show up. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Please help!

NeoDarkSaver
04-22-2007, 09:30
PS3 should have some kind of streaming service to connect to a PC... maybe it can be a windows media center extender, dont know if MS would sony join in the game. haha