PDA

View Full Version : PS3 shuts down occasionaly?

StratMan172
04-05-2007, 00:30
Every now and then my PS3 will shut down by itself. It usually happens overnight like if I leave it on Folding@Home but just now it did it while I was going through the settings, this usually happens when I leave it on for a while (as in 24 hours or more).

Is this happening to anyone else?

I think it could either be the plug that it's plugged into or maybe the PS3 is protecting itself from overheating? Any thoughts?

I really hope my PS3 isn't defective in some way, it does everything else just fine.

I have another question for everyone.Does your PS3 get reasonably hot within like 20 minutes of turning it on? Mine does, but if it's turned off for like 10 minutes it's not hot at all.

Galkatokk
04-05-2007, 00:34
I don't think it's the PS3 that's the problem :P

Seriously, why would you leave it on for 24hrs+?

solinent
04-05-2007, 00:35
I believe the PS3 detects if the heat is too much, and shuts down automatically if this is the case. Make sure your PS3 is well-ventilated.

Assassin3
04-05-2007, 00:36

something called folding@home dude, you should try it out you know because it makes a difference.. a BIG difference.. anyway, i think you should try another power cable, that might be the main problem because of the overheating like you said

Carl
04-05-2007, 00:38
Wow so we have possesed ones that turn themselves on, now we have ones that turn themselves off aswell.

What next?

Galkatokk
04-05-2007, 00:41
something called folding@home dude, you should try it out you know because it makes a difference.. a BIG difference.. anyway, i think you should try another power cable, that might be the main problem because of the overheating like you said

But for 24hrs? I don't think anyone is asking you to put your property at risk.

IWAO
04-05-2007, 00:42
Whoa i think it's too crazy,that you leave it a whole day on!!!
So i think it's therefore it shuts down to protect it not getting
to wormy and explodes in your room,so just don't leave it
this way dude,and this problem will be gone soon hopefully.

Assassin3
04-05-2007, 00:47

lol its not really at risk... think of it this way, if you play your PS3 for 5 hours straight, it doesnt blow up and set everything on fire... sure it COULD happen but they have fans inside to help keep it cool... anyway sorry for jumping off topic ;)

lorddct
04-05-2007, 00:48
Make sure it's well ventilated and that it's not in a very secluded place. This is probably a fail safe that the PS3 has when it gets too hot. And since the days are getting slightly warmer it may be causing the shutdown to happen more often especially if you leave the PS3 on for days. Just remember to give it good ventilation, you may also want to try the nyko PS3 cooler and see if that helps. I have not tried it so I have no clue if it works as intended.

Or this one
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zt-49-en-70-1ugp.html

The Nyko
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802570

luis123
04-05-2007, 00:56
probably is overheating. I wouldnt leave my $600 ps3 for 24 hrs.

Zodia
04-05-2007, 01:09
I don't think it is overheating as that would cause an internal error and the console most likley would not turn back on, and the red light would blink. I never heard of this, but, could the console go on standby after a few hours of inactivity? Let's say, that connection to folding at home is lost and the console just sits there on idle for 2 hours, would it go on standby, similar to the PSP? I don't know man, i would give Sony a call, just in case.

keisukeMamoru86
04-05-2007, 01:35
My PS3 has been on 24/7 running Folding@home since the PS3 client came out (with the exception of last Saturday, but even then we were playing games) My console has never been turned off since then. AND my console's in a cabinet (with a USB powered fan to keep the air moving and cool).

My PS3 has never frozen while folding. But has frozen numerous times using the Web Browser and deleting a photo before the v1.6 update. I suspect faulty code in the XMB, and maybe a hardware defect in your particular system

dfontes1188
04-05-2007, 01:42
My PS3 has been on 24/7 running Folding@home since the PS3 client came out (with the exception of last Saturday, but even then we were playing games) My console has never been turned off since then. AND my console's in a cabinet (with a USB powered fan to keep the air moving and cool).

My PS3 has never frozen while folding. But has frozen numerous times using the Web Browser and deleting a photo before the v1.6 update. I suspect faulty code in the XMB, and maybe a hardware defect in your particular system

You must get a nice electricity bill every month...

keisukeMamoru86
04-05-2007, 01:55
You must get a nice electricity bill every month...
About 72 cents a day, which is $22.32 per 31-day month, which comes out to be $238 per year here in California. Which isn't a huge hit in the wallet when you consider household appliances, computers, TVs, lights, etc.

Back on topic, this is the USB fan I'm using to keep the air by the vents cool if you're interested in going that route instead of the Nyko Intercooler:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2216874&cp=2032061.2063031.2063071&pg=4&searchSort=TRUE&retainProdsInSession=1&y=9&x=15&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=family

StratMan172
04-05-2007, 02:10
I remember when I got the HDD for the PS2 and was hooked on Final Fantasy XI, I left my ps2 on for like 3 days and it got so freakin' hot, it shut down and wouldn't turn on for a while lol but it did eventually go on again.

Anyways, the PS3 isn't idle when this happens, I had a movie on and i went to go do something, I was gone for like 30 minutes, I came back and it was off, It has started doing this since the 1.6 update, I'm pretty sure it never happened before that. I'm standing it up vertically now so hopefully that will help a bit. If it shuts off again I'm going to leave it off for a few hours.

And about leaving it on for so long, I saw the topic on here that was titled something like 'How long do you fold at a time? Putting the PS3 to a test' although I didn't read the thread, I figured people were leaving it on for days on end?

I'll probably turn it off while I sleep now, I don't want to overuse my PS3 anyways. I don't want to push my luck.

branden1979
04-05-2007, 02:27
If anyone can afford to leave their PS3 on for 24 hours a day. They must be rich. Because they have to know that, that thing can possibly overheat. When the PS3 senses overheating it will shut itself off.

keisukeMamoru86
04-05-2007, 03:11
If anyone can afford to leave their PS3 on for 24 hours a day. They must be rich. Because they have to know that, that thing can possibly overheat. When the PS3 senses overheating it will shut itself off.
If anyone can afford a PS3, they have to be prepared for the consequences. Be it overheating or energy bills or whatever, you have to be prepared for that.

In the case of energy bills, if you can afford a PS3 + lots of games, you can probably afford your electric bill too :)

In the case of overheating, keep the system in a well ventilated area, away from direct sunlight, and preferrably upright - just an idea, since heat rises, and one of the heat vents in the PS3 will be facing upwards when in the vertical position, therefore making the vertical position ideal in this case.

Not to say the horizontal position is bad either. Then again, I have an electric fan sucking air from behind the console, blowing it out past the side heat vent, and out of the cabinet.

Kaliber
04-05-2007, 04:07
if my ps3 ever shut down on me, i would slap it back to the middle of last night

iLLuSionS
04-05-2007, 08:26
nope, nev3er happened, me and friend have been leaving ps3 on for 2 weeks folding. its still godly.

NINJAFLAME
04-05-2007, 08:29
i reckon its ghosts!! same with the ps3s randomly booting up ;)

NeoDarkSaver
04-05-2007, 08:30

i've been folding ever since i bought my console. never had a problem. i think it's overheating, check the air flow around.

kirk_uk
04-05-2007, 11:24
There is a section in the manual that came with my PS3 stating that it does shutdown if it overheats to protect the components from damage.

Kirk

Seb
04-05-2007, 11:57
Years ago I left my PS2 on for over a month. Stupid I know. But it still works to this day.

StratMan172
04-05-2007, 19:29
Well, I have it in the vertical position now, and it has not shutdown, although I have been resting it just a tad bit more, I think the vertical position is best for the PS3 when it comes to circulation since the fan blows out through the right side/top. I just hope there aren't any consequences like there were with many of the PS2's, how it would offset the laser.

branden1979
04-06-2007, 01:50
If anyone can afford a PS3, they have to be prepared for the consequences. Be it overheating or energy bills or whatever, you have to be prepared for that.

In the case of energy bills, if you can afford a PS3 + lots of games, you can probably afford your electric bill too :)

In the case of overheating, keep the system in a well ventilated area, away from direct sunlight, and preferrably upright - just an idea, since heat rises, and one of the heat vents in the PS3 will be facing upwards when in the vertical position, therefore making the vertical position ideal in this case.

Not to say the horizontal position is bad either. Then again, I have an electric fan sucking air from behind the console, blowing it out past the side heat vent, and out of the cabinet.

I use folding but thereis no way I'd run my PS3 for 24hours a day. I want my system to last atleast 4 or 5 years. MY PS2 I got it on launch day and have never had a problem with it yet. It will still run strong.

keisukeMamoru86
04-06-2007, 05:20
Well, we'll see how the PS3 holds up under constant Folding@Home. If hundreds of thousands of PCs can fold for several years straight, I figure a future-proof built console could last a similar run.

epmacman
04-06-2007, 05:34
have you tried mutliple outlets/sockets. I have never had this problem and i have never herd of my friend's ps3s ramondly shutting off.

epmacman
04-06-2007, 05:38
Years ago I left my PS2 on for over a month. Stupid I know. But it still works to this day.

I had to do the same thing untill i could get a memory card(pretty said i know) :D

killzone_71
04-06-2007, 08:24
Can anyone tell me whats with this Folding@home thing?

Sorry for the stupid questions but i don't know what it is.

Metal Militia
04-06-2007, 09:58
If your system is in a well ventilated area, I don't see any reason why it should be any hotter after 24hrs/2 days/3 days, than it would be after a couple of hours playing. It's not as if it's going to be constantly heating up the whole time it's on unless, like I said, you have it in an enclosed space with no ventilation. As was already mentioned, people leave PC's on for days, some are left on indefinately.

Billy_PS3
04-07-2007, 12:24
Sorry, no idea bud........

iiii Link iiii
04-07-2007, 15:55
Nah man... cant say its ever happened to me. Although i think it did freeze once.

Budhound
04-07-2007, 20:22
I'm not really for sure if it is safe to actually keep it running for 24 hrs without turning it off but I've had mine since the first week they came out.. I've only turned it off probably 3 times since.. I just leave it on standbye.. But I've never had any problems with doing that.. I'm assume that it is actually off .. All except for the little red light when it shuts down.. But I might be one of the luck ones .. I see that alot of people are having lots of problems with a little bit of everything.. But I just shut it down and I have no problems..

coolguy
04-07-2007, 20:35
it might be your PS3.. never levae it on for that long u will over heat it

Alyxm
04-07-2007, 20:47
Every now and then my PS3 will shut down by itself. It usually happens overnight like if I leave it on Folding@Home but just now it did it while I was going through the settings, this usually happens when I leave it on for a while (as in 24 hours or more).

Is this happening to anyone else?

I think it could either be the plug that it's plugged into or maybe the PS3 is protecting itself from overheating? Any thoughts?

I really hope my PS3 isn't defective in some way, it does everything else just fine.

I have another question for everyone.Does your PS3 get reasonably hot within like 20 minutes of turning it on? Mine does, but if it's turned off for like 10 minutes it's not hot at all.hahahaha, this is really funny, as somones PS3 wont stop turning on!!! theyre ALIVE>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG o_0 :P:P:P

leo5111
04-07-2007, 21:50
heres the pelican version http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802609

ttech10
04-08-2007, 00:13

The PS3 isn't built like a 360 (not trying to start an argument). It's better ventilated and I know for a fact it can stay on for 1 week Folding and not have a single problem and not even get hot.

Carlos_E
04-08-2007, 03:42
I have not turned my PS3 off in the last 8 days. No problems here.

Dr.Doe
04-30-2007, 20:29
I have had my PS3 for a day now and it has shut off twice on its own so far.... any advice?

The first time it was updating so I switched the channel for 2 secs and when I switched back it was off even though the switch in the back was still in the "power on" possition.

The second time I was playing "Call of duty", I was at the menu screen and pressed "multiplayer" and it shut off!!!

I have my inernet connected so I don't think it had anything to do with that but I don't know? Will the problem stop or should I bring it back? Thanks in advance

I didn't hit the PS button and the screen saver was on 20min. I have heard there is a recall for PS3's That overheat and shut off is this true because it sounds like mine?

knuckleheadlush
04-30-2007, 20:40
If you have your PS3 in a well-ventilated area there should be no problem with running it 24/7, aside from the electric bill. The majority of computing hardware problems happen at startup and shutdown, plus the PS3 hardware will run on a relaxed cycle when it's nt being fully utilized allowing it to rest in a sense.

Dr.Doe
04-30-2007, 20:50
I'm not sure if your responding to me knuckel but I have not even had it for 24 hour yet and it has shut of twice!

Soraz
04-30-2007, 21:50
Don't know if it has been sayed but... A Playstation 3 will shut down if it gets too hot, to prevent overheating and setting your house on fire THE END.

Seb
04-30-2007, 22:20
I guess it depends on where you live and how high/low the ambient room temperature is, but in my house in England it is nice and cool and I have left my PS3Folding pretty much none-stop for three weeks and its fine. Sony are excellent hardware engineers and provided you take steps to ensure quality ventilation it should not be a problem leaving your PS3 on overnight.

However I would not recommend leaving your PS3 on for extended periods of time (24 hours+) if you live in a hot climate, or operate your PS3 in poorly ventilated environment.

In my past experience I have left my PS2 on for over a month and had no problems, and that includes playing it almost everyday 365 days of the year when I was a kid. I trust PS3 will perform just as well as my PS2 did, but as I said, it depends mainly on your environment and not on the PS3 itself.

PsychoMantis
04-30-2007, 22:24
Wow so we have possesed ones that turn themselves on, now we have ones that turn themselves off aswell.

What next?

Technology is going to kill us all. RUN!

As far as the problem make sure its in a well ventilated space so air can pass threw it. If its in a cramped area it will cause a problem. Mine is in a slightly open area but theres a window open behind it thats open so air comes in (duh lol). I have had my ps3 on for 2 days+ now F@H and I havent had any problems to report at all even poped in a blu-ray movie still going strong.

PsychoMantis
04-30-2007, 22:36
However I would not recommend leaving your PS3 on for extended periods of time (24 hours+) if you live in a hot climate, or operate your PS3 in poorly ventilated environment.

Not really true I live in sunny california where its hot pretty much year round. I have had my ps3 on for 2 days+ now no problems at all. I watched Movies played games F@H all of that and nothing to report. Its possibly just poor ventilated area relocate the ps3 somewhere out in the open then test it, if it still shuts off then you got a faulty system my friend.

LordNoob
04-30-2007, 22:49
I have had my PS3 for a day now and it has shut off twice on its own so far.... any advice?

The first time it was updating so I switched the channel for 2 secs and when I switched back it was off even though the switch in the back was still in the "power on" possition.

The second time I was playing "Call of duty", I was at the menu screen and pressed "multiplayer" and it shut off!!!

I have my inernet connected so I don't think it had anything to do with that but I don't know? Will the problem stop or should I bring it back? Thanks in advance

I didn't hit the PS button and the screen saver was on 20min. I have heard there is a recall for PS3's That overheat and shut off is this true because it sounds like mine?

Your situation appears to be the plug not being completely in the socket. Take it out and put it back in. You also are likely to be stretching the cord. Otherwise put it in another outlet.

What major PS3 recall are you referring to? Link?

As long as the PS3 is not folding or running some other sort of application that is strenuous, you could theoretically leave the PS3 on as long as you want without it shutting off, overheating, or going through some sort of hardware defect as a result. Since it's in a idle state the PS3 is generating a very low amount of heat compared to other situations.

Obviously though, it is not encouraged to do so. Otherwise Sony would be liable. But common sense gives the implication that you could if you wanted. Assuming you are in a well ventilated area or setting. People are only going to likely have the PS3 for 5-7 years anyways, so its does not really matter. So what.

PXG S3
04-30-2007, 22:58
I don't know if this has been said before, but does the PS3 have an auto shut off feature? On the 360, you can set it to shut off automatically, after 6 hours of inactivity.

LordNoob
04-30-2007, 23:07
I don't know if this has been said before, but does the PS3 have an auto shut off feature? On the 360, you can set it to shut off automatically, after 6 hours of inactivity.

Idk maybe its automatic, but I'm not aware of it in the settings and it has only happened to me when my plug was being stretched out the socket a little bit.

Nothing says shut off after a X amount of time. The only thing you can set is either folding or a screensaver after a X amount of time. At least that I'm aware of.