PDA

View Full Version : Stock market says: Nintendo now worth more than Sony (the whole company)

mcc
06-25-2007, 05:47
Sony business news:

Bloomberg is now reporting that as of today, Nintendo's market capitalization is greater than Sony's on the stock market. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aiHxiNtvjQyI) This means that the price of every single share of Nintendo stock combined is worth more than the price of every single share of Sony stock combined; conceptually the market cap is how much money it would take to "buy the company", though hostile takeovers are usually a little more complicated than that.

As of today, Nintendo's market capitalization is $53 billion whereas Sony's is $52.5 billion.

Market capitalization is more about perceived value, or expectation of future value, by the stock market, than it is about a company's absolute or amount of money, which is why it is possible for a "smaller" company to have a bigger market cap than a "larger" one. Still, it is interesting that Nintendo has obtained a bigger market cap than Sony despite only being present in one of the many markets Sony is in.

Lefein
06-25-2007, 05:50
Sony business news:

Bloomberg is now reporting that as of today, Nintendo's market capitalization is greater than Sony's on the stock market. (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aiHxiNtvjQyI) This means that the price of every single share of Nintendo stock combined is worth more than the price of every single share of Sony stock combined; conceptually the market cap is how much money it would take to "buy the company", though hostile takeovers are usually a little more complicated than that.

As of today, Nintendo's market capitalization is $53 billion whereas Sony's is $52.5 billion.

Market capitalization is more about perceived value, or expectation of future value, by the stock market, than it is about a company's absolute or amount of money, which is why it is possible for a "smaller" company to have a bigger market cap than a "larger" one. Still, it is interesting that Nintendo has obtained a bigger market cap than Sony despite only being present in one of the many markets Sony is in.

You do understand that this means that Nintendo's stock is grossly oversaturated, correct? Unless Nintendo starts launching entire new electronics lines and divisions, there is no way they can actually leverage that market capital to stimulate growth. It's a very foolish investment, now.

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 05:50
Heeeeere we gooo gogooo!

Thanks MCC this is such awesome news.

Shadowstar
06-25-2007, 05:53
You do understand that this means that Nintendo's stock is grossly oversaturated, correct?
Yes, and I kind of worry when any company is overvalued... if they can't keep up with expectations, those companies often end up failing big time, like Nortel... Not that I'm saying Nintendo is going to fail or anything, but it just seems like that's what happens pretty often...

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 05:56
You do understand that this means that Nintendo's stock is grossly oversaturated, correct? Unless Nintendo starts launching entire new electronics lines and divisions, there is no way they can actually leverage that market capital to stimulate growth. It's a very foolish investment, now.

That's not how stocks work.

This means that Nintendo is WORTH more than Sony, an entire company. Nintendo, for those uninitiated, is merely a software/hardware company. As mcc said, this isn't "actual" value(Nintendo's been making a profit for decades, and has reported one loss in, what, 2003? 2004? whereas Sony, until recently, has only been turning a profit because of the consoles), but their perceived value.

And this is the business world. So as far as shareholders/stockholders go, Nintendo is worth more.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 05:56
Yes, and I kind of worry when any company is overvalued... if they can't keep up with expectations, those companies often end up failing big time, like Nortel... Not that I'm saying Nintendo is going to fail or anything, but it just seems like that's what happens pretty often...

Could you cite examples and sources, please? I'd like to read about these companies.

Lefein
06-25-2007, 05:57

Their longterm goals could be put to the test. I doubt that Nintendo will fail as a company, necessarily, but part of their business structure depends on the fact that they execute so well on a very certain area.

Sony has technology and content leveraged all over the place which means that their risks are spread and losses are at least open to being compensated with strong performance in other areas. Nintendo will have no such luxury unless they are willing to go on a gross expansion which would inevitably lead them into unfamiliar territory. Publicly traded companies are funny things. Even the Wii being hailed as a pure gaming machine distinctly lacking in the functionality of the 360 and PS3 may end up having to travel down the same path as those two when the upper management comes to terms with answering to shareholders.

Wasib
06-25-2007, 05:59
It is a sign the market expects the wii and DS to do extremley well, which as already started. Sony is in transistion after years of lying dorment if not decades (talking about the organisation). There is also not much confidence from investors in Sony, so all in all this is expected. Still congrats to Nintendo, they have winners in the DS and Wii and have done well to concentrate only in games, ensuring their business does not grow to large and thus innefficent.

Booha
06-25-2007, 05:59
I think this is total bull**** all nintendo has is videogames NOTHING else!

Shadowstar
06-25-2007, 06:00
Could you cite examples and sources, please? I'd like to read about these companies.

Nortel? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nortel_Networks I'm sure the wikipedia page shows it well enough. Really, most of my knowledge of it is just from living through the big bubbles and crashes afterwards... and watching huge numbers of people get burned... it's true of a lot of the dot coms, too-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

I could be looking at it all too simplistically though. It's not like I studied economics or anything. :) It just kind of makes me nervous.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:01
Their longterm goals could be put to the test. I doubt that Nintendo will fail as a company, necessarily, but part of their business structure depends on the fact that they execute so well on a very certain area.

Sony has technology and content leveraged all over the place which means that their risks are spread and losses are at least open to being compensated with strong performance in other areas. Nintendo will have no such luxury unless they are willing to go on a gross expansion which would inevitably lead them into unfamiliar territory.

This is the genius of their business model:

If you have no clue what you're doing, don't mess with the guys that do.
Sony and Microsoft got lucky as far as consoles go. And Sony technically had Nintendo's help when they were helping with the 64DD, and Microsoft had experience with PC games.

But look at what happened when Sony ventured into handheld territory. They got trounced. Microsoft, on the other hand, saw that messing with Nintendo on the handheld front was essentially hurling a basket of money into a fire.

The basket is woven of dry straw, twigs, and dreams.

LGamer1
06-25-2007, 06:01

I question Bloomberg's credibility with regard to the stock market

I think we need another source

Lefein
06-25-2007, 06:02
It is a sign the market expects the wii and DS to do extremley well, which as already started. Sony is in transistion after years of lying dorment if not decades (talking about the organisation). There is also not much confidence from investors in Sony, so all in all this is expected. Still congrats to Nintendo, they have winners in the DS and Wii and have done well to concentrate only in games, ensuring their business does not grow to large and thus innefficent.

You do understand that companies can and do get buried under their own weight, right? I will agree that Sony can very often be ineffecient, but being a small company with a finite market won't lead to Sony-like growth without making some huge changes with the way the company does business.

How much longer is it until the PSP outsells the XBox1? ;)

TGO
06-25-2007, 06:02
Nintendo got their work cut out for them, this may sound like good news to Nintendo fans
but I'm sure Nintendo ain't smiling about it, they now have to work harder then the entire Sony Corp to meet their share holders expectations
thats not gonna be easy, and if they don't.......

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:03

Uhh...point being?

Man. **** Random House. All they have is book publishing and NOTHING ELSE.
What happens when the world wants donuts?
Screwed yourself now, DIDN'T YA RANDOM HOUSE?

I could be looking at it all too simplistically though. It's not like I studied economics or anything.
Heh, don't worry about it. ;) But as for the Dot-Com bubble, that was more the hype that it was gonna be the wave of the future. EVERYTHING was supposed to be part of the Dot-Commerce thing. Everyone was joining in, so stocks were getting bloated...
Then people realized that holy **** this isn't taking off. And people withdrew. Quickly.
This caused the bubble to burst, and Dot-Coms were no longer profitable.

LGamer1
06-25-2007, 06:04
Nintendo got their work cut out for them, this may sound like good news to Nintendo fans
but I'm sure Nintendo ain't smiling about it, they now have to work harder then the entire Sony Corp to meet their share holders expectations

Having money is stressful

The stress may cause Nintendo to collapse under the weight of its own money

Basic economics

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:05

They don't have to impress anyone BETTER.
They have to impress MORE people.

Having money is stressful

The stress may cause Nintendo to collapse under the weight of its own money

Basic economics
I don't care that you're probably a straight male.

Do me.
Right now.

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 06:06

Sony and Microsoft got lucky as far as consoles go. And Sony technically had Nintendo's help when they were helping with the 64DD, and Microsoft had experience with PC games.

But look at what happened when Sony ventured into handheld territory. They got trounced. Microsoft, on the other hand, saw that messing with Nintendo on the handheld front was essentially hurling a basket of money into a fire.

PSP may not be beating the DS but its selling perfectly fine. Theres no way the PSP was a bad move.

Shadow780
06-25-2007, 06:07
So Nintendo has more market cap than Sony, I wonder what the revenue comparison is?

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:08
PSP may not be beating the DS but its selling perfectly fine. Theres no way the PSP was a bad move.

It was in the sense that it was meant to be a challenger.
It was a brave venture by Sony, no doubt. But as competition for the DS, for Nintendo handhelds in general? I'd have a better chance of going 10 rounds with Oscar DeLaHoya.

Loudninja
06-25-2007, 06:09
This been posted already, what was the point of making another topic

Lefein
06-25-2007, 06:09
Hmm, whats a simple way of putting this?

What would happen if you gave your five year old sister the keys to a Porsche Carrerra GT?

Wasib
06-25-2007, 06:10
Some comments here are absurd. It's like those comments that Sony will die if the PS3 fails. Sony aint going nowhere and neither is Nintendo. Nintendo are reporting record profits (higher then their goals), they have two awesome sellers in the DS and Wii and frankley deserve it as they have woken up from the bad times from the Nintendo 64 to Gamecube. They only know games and will fight tooth and nail to defend it. As for their market share, its always been massive, due of course to the portable market. Nintendo have this habbit of innovating when their back is against the wall, i do not expect this to change. Surley even though we are PS3 fans we can recognise that Nintendo deserves credit here. I am sure of this was Sony everyone would be partying.

EvoLutioNight
It was a brave venture by Sony, no doubt. But as competition for the DS, for Nintendo handhelds in general? I'd have a better chance of going 10 rounds with Oscar DeLaHoya.Whether its competition for DS is irrelevant. Its selling and making Sony money. Thats all that matters.

Rynoboy
I don't have a problem with that nintendo is a good company! and it is nice for them to be ahead of sony again

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 06:12
It was a brave venture by Sony, no doubt. But as competition for the DS, for Nintendo handhelds in general? I'd have a better chance of going 10 rounds with Oscar DeLaHoya.Whether its competition for DS is irrelevant. Its selling and making Sony money., thats all that matters.

snooper71
06-25-2007, 06:12
It was a brave venture by Sony, no doubt. But as competition for the DS, for Nintendo handhelds in general? I'd have a better chance of going 10 rounds with Oscar DeLaHoya.Gameplay player.... Is that you? First post in this type of heated thread with a Nintendo bias, joined TODAY...

Lefein
06-25-2007, 06:14
Some comments here are absurd. It's like those comments that Sony will die if the PS3 fails. Sony aint going nowhere and neither is Nintendo. Nintendo are reporting record profits (higher then their goals), they have two awesome sellers in the DS and Wii and frankley deserve it as they have woken up from the bad times from the Nintendo 64 to Gamecube. They only know games and will fight tooth and nail to defend it. As for their market share, its always been massive, due of course to the portable market. Nintendo have this habbit of innovating when their back is against the wall, i do not expect this to change. Surley even though we are PS3 fans we can recognise that Nintendo deserves credit here. I am sure of this was Sony everyone would be partying.

Again, how do you think the shareholders are going to respond if Miyamoto gets up before them and says that they are only focusing on the Wii and DS at this time and have few products outside of software to launch in the next fiscal year?

It's going to devaluate or Nintendo is going to start producing laptops and MP3 players as Nintendo Branded "companion devices" for the Wii. Either way, they are ill equipped for that amount of capital. Noone is saying Nintendo is dead now, just maybe the Nintendo as you know it. The only other alternative is that Nintendo walks away froma growth opportunity to continue their business strategy as they see fit. Thats all.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:14
Hmm, whats a simple way of putting this?

What would happen if you gave your five year old sister the keys to a Porsche Carrerra GT?

That depends.

Has my five year old sister proven herself to be a very competent and capable driver despite her age, and is in fact more adept at it then a person who could be considered her direct competition?

But still, I'm not seeing your point.
How is giving a child the keys to a very nice car the same as a multi-million dollar company suddenly outdoing ANOTHER multi-million dollar company even remotely similar? Especially when one has been around MUCH longer? (So in your scenario, I take it Sony is a 2 year old who gets the car keys?)

D3v1l
06-25-2007, 06:16
The PSP is selling well enough, 2 years and it hasnt been shut out. They appeal to different sorts of gamers, as well as the wii vs. PS3, they appeal to different groups. PS3 unfortunately appeal to a bit higher class of people, that have money, or save alot, and have to have the Sony name under their TV. Namely myself, I prefer the PS3 to remain my media machine, I may buy a wii sometime down the road, but I see the full use of the motion sensing to be nothing more than a fad. I am not saying the Wii will fail, but long term, it isnt necessarily a lasting console, when even the 360 will outlive it in terms of hardware limitations. By my count, I think (and this is just personal speculation) Wii will last 3-4 years, 360 5-7 (maybe), and the PS3 6-8 years. But only time will tell.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:17
Gameplay player.... Is that you? First post in this type of heated thread with a Nintendo bias, joined TODAY...

Nope. I assure you I am completely original.

Even check my IP if you'd like.

Again, how do you think the shareholders are going to respond if Miyamoto gets up before them and says that they are only focusing on the Wii and DS at this time and have few products outside of software to launch in the next fiscal year?

It's going to devaluate or Nintendo is going to start producing laptops and MP3 players as Nintendo Branded "companion devices" for the Wii. Either way, they are ill equipped for that amount of capital. Noone is saying Nintendo is dead now, just maybe the Nintendo as you know it. The only other alternative is that Nintendo walks away froma growth opportunity to continue their business strategy as they see fit. Thats all.
You don't seem to understand how this works.

WHAT a company does and HOW MUCH A COMPANY MAKES are not necessarily related.

Just because Nintendo only makes video games, consoles, handhelds, and paraphernalia does not mean that they are less worthy of making more money than Sony.

Lefein
06-25-2007, 06:17
That depends.

Has my five year old sister proven herself to be a very competent and capable driver despite her age, and is in fact more adept at it then a person who could be considered her direct competition?

But still, I'm not seeing your point.
How is giving a child the keys to a very nice car the same as a multi-million dollar company suddenly outdoing ANOTHER multi-million dollar company even remotely similar? Especially when one has been around MUCH longer? (So in your scenario, I take it Sony is a 2 year old who gets the car keys?)

I really tried to not make it that hard...

It was a brave venture by Sony, no doubt. But as competition for the DS, for Nintendo handhelds in general? I'd have a better chance of going 10 rounds with Oscar DeLaHoya.

You're absolutely right. BMW, Honda, Ford, Chevrolet, Volkswagen, and Nissan shouldn't make cars. Toyota clearly has the market leadership position so naturally, making cars is not profitable or worthwhile. If Sony spent half as much time worried about comparing their penis to the competition they wouldn't be at where they are today. The same, quite honestly, goes for Nintendo as well. Did they give up on home consoles after getting beaten in the head with a shovel by the PS2? Nope.. Come on man, play connect the dots here.

FaLLeNMoNkEy
06-25-2007, 06:18
Nice knowing ya nintendo......252525

naruto007
06-25-2007, 06:20
who cares? ninty just made games and consoles not a big deal while sony makes a huge lot of stuffs cool and sexy stuffs.

anyway...does anyone knows how much MS stocks cost? 100billions? LOL

Pizza_Lover
06-25-2007, 06:22
I question Bloomberg's credibility with regard to the stock market

I think we need another source

lol....i seriously hope u were joking! :mrgreen:

but its crazy nintendo is now bigger than sonys whole company, not just gaming. this means bravia tvs, all the electronics, bluray, mobile phones, video camera equipment, everything that sony makes!

man and to think it did it with the nds and wii, 2 things it went head to head with sony with and killed it! people here were laughing at ds when it came out and then wii but whos laughing now?

man sony isnt doing that good. probably the problem is they got their fingers in too many jars. just doing too much rather than focus than what they r good at. its weird cuz a few years ago ps2 save the company while their electronics were losing big $$$. now ps3 is losing big $$$ and their electronics like bravia is killin it! its like they gotta decide which they want to focus on and make $$$ instead of making big $$$ in one division and losing big $$$ in another.

but still crazy how nintendo with just gaming can beat the entire sony for everythin! just shows nintendo is so much smarter and succesful now.

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 06:22
Wow there's only .5 separating Sony from Nintendo.

So what. Good for Ninty. But seriously is it that big of a deal? Sony has a lot of overhead and with the addition of the PS3; this was bound to happen.

The DS is the fastest selling piece of crap in videogame history, and the Wii is tagging along as the fastest selling console. No surprises here.

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 06:23
I predict within 3 pages this thread will be divided among "pro Sony" people and "Pro Nintendo" people.

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 06:25
Sorry Gameplay Player, your buddies already stained the first page.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:25
I really tried to not make it that hard...

You're absolutely right. BMW, Honda, Ford, Chevrolet, Volkswagen, and Nissan shouldn't make cars. Toyota clearly has the market leadership position so naturally, making cars is not profitable or worthwhile. If Sony spent half as much time worried about comparing their penis to the competition they wouldn't be at where they are today.

...Those companies all make cars.
Sony did not make handhelds.

This really isn't the point anyway. I was merely making an offhand comment about how Nintendo is merely doing well at something they KNOW how to do, rather than risking heading into dangerous territories, and then used the PSP as an example, since despite it's best efforts, the DS is still vastly more popular and better selling.
This does not mean the PSP is a bad handheld.
This does not mean the PSP is a waste of money.
This does not mean that the PSP cannot even be worth anything to anyone ever.

The same, quite honestly, goes for Nintendo as well. Did they give up on home consoles after getting beaten in the head with a shovel by the PS2? Nope.. Come on man, play connect the dots here.
Uhh, they were still making a profit with the Gamecube, actually.
So there was really no reason to call it quits.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:26
Wow there's only .5 separating Sony from Nintendo.

So what. Good for Ninty. But seriously is it that big of a deal? Sony has a lot of overhead and with the addition of the PS3; this was bound to happen.

The DS is the fastest selling piece of crap in videogame history, and the Wii is tagging along as the fastest selling console. No surprises here.

But you have to admit, it's a FUN piece of crap ;)

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:27
Also, who the hell is Gameplay Player and why do I keep getting equated to him?

BobsRevenge
06-25-2007, 06:27

The PSP is doing well. It's the first non-nintendo handheld to do well since the Game Gear. Give credit where its due, the PSP is an amazing piece of hardware and its selling well.

Sony was by no means lucky with the Playstation. Sony has some of the best engineers in the world on their side.

Microsoft didn't get into handhelds because it has no business interest in it. They got into the console market because they saw people straying from the PC for gaming and wanted in. They got into the MP3 market because they saw the iPod taking off with iTunes as its sidekick, influencing people to go Apple.

Why the hell should Microsoft care about handhelds?

Nintendo is a very focused company, but Sony sees a TON of more money flowing through their company.

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 06:28
Sorry Gameplay Player, your buddies already stained the first page.

:rolleyes: *sigh* I suppose it's just in your nature to attack someone who you have any disagreement with rather than look at what they say.

Muffin Man - That would be me. I'm basically a friendly guy but I'm not going to blindly praise the PS3 just because it's most people's favorite system here. Because of that I'm accused of trolling by members of the forum that feel any non-positive PS3 comment is equivalent to bashing the PS3.

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 06:29

This really isn't the point anyway. I was merely making an offhand comment about how Nintendo is merely doing well at something they KNOW how to do, rather than risking heading into dangerous territories, and then used the PSP as an example, since despite it's best efforts, the DS is still vastly more popular and better selling.

Thats actually pretty retarted. If nintendo actually shared your logic we wouldn't even be playing videogames today.

Pizza_Lover
06-25-2007, 06:29
its funny cuz bill gates himself, not ms as a whole, himself is worth more than both nintendo or sony!

Rynoboy
06-25-2007, 06:32
its funny cuz bill gates himself, not ms as a whole, himself is worth more than both nintendo or sony!
put together isn't he the ritchest person alive?

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 06:32
:rolleyes: *sigh* I suppose it's just in your nature to attack someone who you have any disagreement with rather than look at what they say.

It didn't matter what you said, just letting you know that your buddies had stained the first page. :)

Lefein
06-25-2007, 06:33

Uhh, they were still making a profit with the Gamecube, actually.
So there was really no reason to call it quits.

If you tie a little string, mentally, between the two parts of your pst then you will kinda catch what Im getting at here. Pay close attention, and you will actually realize that we're on the same page. I, however, am tying the conclusion to Nintendo rather than the nuances of a simple percieved handheld war.

See, Im right and you just proved it. To sustain the kind of capital growth and revenue that Sony has, you must do as Sony does and the countless other heavyweight titans of industry and... hold your breath.. go into new territories! Just like what Sony did with the PSP, so Nintendo will have to do in time. Whether or not the platform that is driving interest and growth in the current corporate structure is equipped to the task is certainly a matter of debate.

No, the real question here is how will the longterm Nitnendo fans react when their company becomes a Sony. How will people idenify with the Nitnendo branding out on the mass market. Or, maybe something a little more important that you should be considering as a gamer and that is whether or not the next LoZ game will be an epic like the latest game or if it will go the way of mass market American Idol manufactured BS because Nintendo has to focus their attention on the new fanbase?

So, say goodbye to Nintendo as you know it now. WiiP3 players and commercial supported online content are headed your way.. Only, without the HD gloss and pizzazz of the other two more gamer oriented systems. Sleep on it ;)

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 06:34
It didn't matter what you said, just letting you know that your buddies had stained the first page. :)

Never saw those people before in my life. But I suppose we're all the same to you :p

Shadow780
06-25-2007, 06:35
It's not the end of Sony, don't worry about it, they have focus on multimedia and winning the format war first.

Wasib
06-25-2007, 06:36
Gameplay Player you can say whatever u want. For sure in this thread your sayings have been far more realistic than others. People need to wise up, Nintendo deserve this, Sony will be back, its the business world. I am both a Sony and Nintendo fan, i feel both offer a different vision of gaming and support both to dispose of the real enemy, Microsoft. Anyway to give you Sony fanboys somet to cheer about, its reported earnings for the year will double. But its only a forecast, but they usually are achieved.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:38
Thats actually pretty retarted. If nintendo actually shared your logic we wouldn't even be playing videogames today.

I'm not saying "Don't try new things".

Hell no. Variety is the spice of life.

But you can't just dive headlong into something new, throwing money at it, and expect any sort of immediate payback when you don't even pay attention to how everyone ELSE did it. Look at the Jaguar.
It's another reason why Sony and Microsoft succeeded where 3DO failed. They didn't just go "Hey guys here's our super-expensive video game system. Play it or get the hell out."

Sony was working alongside Nintendo until finally realizing they could do better on their own. Microsoft took the experience they had and tried something new. Both of them went about it the intelligent way: Don't look at what the prospective competitor is doing and go "Pfft, that guys a jackass, I can do better."

If Nintendo DOES want to expand outwards, it's best to keep to similar products at the absolute least. I.e don't go making cars. Start small, with maybe a PDA. Then a computer. Etc etc.

But it's very unlikely they will, as they are doing just fine with just video game software, hardware, and paraphernalia right now, and adding would cause their profit to plummet.

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 06:39
But you have to admit, it's a FUN piece of crap ;)

Nope, I think the Wii/DS is completely ruining the industry with their Wii Sports/Play and Pokemon. Games like Wii Health, Trauma Center, and Wii Music are going to overshadow a substantial portion of the many anticipated 360/PS3 titles, asssuming both sides don't flop/fail.

Unfortunately, you can't make people see it your way and stop them from playing crap like observation training.

Shadow780
06-25-2007, 06:41
Sony was working alongside Nintendo until finally realizing they could do better on their own.

No, it was Nintendo who decided to broke off the deal and then Sony decided to take that project into a full-blown console that ruled the console markets for 10 years.

Rynoboy
06-25-2007, 06:41
Nope, I think the Wii/DS is completely ruining the industry. Games like Wii Health, Trauma Center, and Wii Music are going to overshadow a substantial portion of these anticipated 360/PS3 titles, asssuming both sides don't flop/fail.

Unfortunately, you can't make people see it your way and stop them from playing crap like observation training.
you have to understand the the Wii/DS was intended for little kids and family fun not for hard core gaming but most gamers do not realize that

Lefein
06-25-2007, 06:42
IMHO, I think Nintendo would be the #1 prime candidate to turn a dagger in the back of the average gamer if it meant expanding their userbase chock full of inexpensive American Idol/Britney Spears commercial crap.

Prepare for the tidal wave, everyone. If Ninty puts this capital to work, pretty soon you will be considered a troglodite for owning a PS3 or a 360. The good news as a 360 or PS3 owner is that at least you know from the outset that the company you bought your product from is ambitious. As a Wii owner, well, just don't try to fling poo at the traditional gamer too much now. You may soon find yourself one day wishing that you hadn't.

Shadow780
06-25-2007, 06:43
Trauma Center is a good traditional AVG-game with actually a good a plot, and should not be grouped with Big Brain Academy-sort of games.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:45
Nope, I think the Wii/DS is completely ruining the industry with their Wii Sports/Play and Pokemon. Games like Wii Health, Trauma Center, and Wii Music are going to overshadow a substantial portion of the many anticipated 360/PS3 titles, asssuming both sides don't flop/fail.

May I ask why Wii's sports games and traditional-style RPG are so damaging to the industry, while the PS3 and 360s sports games and traditional-style RPGs are not?

And for that matter, why it's suddenly bad to make new genres, rather than just sit around in RPG/Action Adventure/Shooter/Fighter/Racer territory forever?

No, it was Nintendo who decided to broke off the deal and then Sony decided to take that project into a full-blown console that ruled the console markets for 10 years.
Wouldn't shock me. Those were dark times for Nintendo.

you have to understand the the Wii/DS was intended for little kids and family fun not for hard core gaming but most gamers do not realize that
You've got it backwards. Casual gamers tend to favor the 360/PS3 whereas hardcore games are more willing to try new things. But I won't argue that the Wii and the DS aren't for non-gamers to enjoy, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "for kids/not for hardcore gamers".

As a hardcore gamer, I pretty much disprove that ;)

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 06:48

I respectfully disagree. I think because the Wii is ACCESSIBLE to everyone with some titles people want to believe it's ONLY available to groups that do not traditionally play video games. You're certainly entitled to your opinion though.

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 06:48
I'm not saying "Don't try new things".

Hell no. Variety is the spice of life.

But you can't just dive headlong into something new, throwing money at it, and expect any sort of immediate payback when you don't even pay attention to how everyone ELSE did it. Look at the Jaguar.
It's another reason why Sony and Microsoft succeeded where 3DO failed. They didn't just go "Hey guys here's our super-expensive video game system. Play it or get the hell out."

Sony was working alongside Nintendo until finally realizing they could do better on their own. Microsoft took the experience they had and tried something new. Both of them went about it the intelligent way: Don't look at what the prospective competitor is doing and go "Pfft, that guys a jackass, I can do better."

If Nintendo DOES want to expand outwards, it's best to keep to similar products at the absolute least. I.e don't go making cars. Start small, with maybe a PDA. Then a computer. Etc etc.

But it's very unlikely they will, as they are doing just fine with just video game software, hardware, and paraphernalia right now, and adding would cause their profit to plummet.
Dude, you were talking about the PSP not the Jaguar.

Rynoboy
06-25-2007, 06:49
May I ask why Wii's sports games and traditional-style RPG are so damaging to the industry, while the PS3 and 360s sports games and traditional-style RPGs are not?

And for that matter, why it's suddenly bad to make new genres, rather than just sit around in RPG/Action Adventure/Shooter/Fighter/Racer territory forever?

Wouldn't shock me. Those were dark times for Nintendo.

You've got it backwards. Casual gamers tend to favor the 360/PS3 whereas hardcore games are more willing to try new things. But I won't argue that the Wii and the DS aren't for non-gamers to enjoy, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's "for kids/not for hardcore gamers".

keyword intended for
Nintendo made it for Kids and Familys
if it was for Hardcoregamers then it would be more next gen with HD and multimedia cabilbilities

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 06:50

I'm just tired of people saying the Wii is so great. Like the other day this kid told me, "Omg the Wii uses Opera and it surfs the web so much better than the PS3."

I'm like wtf is this kid talking about? The Wii doesn't even support a keyboard last I checked.

Everyday I have to deal with this crap at work and once I start talking about streaming; the kids hit me with, "Oh well the PS3 has no games."

Wtf!? The Wii has no games either as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing that seperates the Wii from the 360/PS3 is that it can sell without any "killer apps" or a "vast" selection of titles.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:50
Dude, you were talking about the PSP not the Jaguar.

Read my post, dude. But perhaps it wasn't clear. Sony was brave in trying the PSP. But if they had gotten cocky and just dove right in(like Jaguar) and said "Man Nintendo has no idea what they are doing" they could end up just wasting their time and money.

Rynoboy
06-25-2007, 06:52
I respectfully disagree. I think because the Wii is ACCESSIBLE to everyone with some titles people want to believe it's ONLY available to groups that do not traditionally play video games. You're certainly entitled to your opinion though.
Just to get it clear I have nothing against the Wii and I want one

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 06:52
I'm just tired of people saying the Wii is so great. Like the other day this kid told me, "Omg the Wii uses Opera and it surfs the web so much better than the PS3."

I'm like wtf is this kid talking about? The Wii doesn't even support a keyboard last I checked.

The rest is completely subjective but I'm curious about this particular point. Have you tried using a Wii online? I've so far ONLY heard pretty positive things about Nintendo's browser capabilities. Maybe you've heard differently, but that's the impression I get.

BobsRevenge
06-25-2007, 06:54

What the **** are you talking about? Casual gamers tend to favor the WII! Hence the high sales. The Wii and the DS aren't for hardcore gamers. Nintendo never even made that pretense. They are marketed towards kids and family mainly, although now the Wii is marketed towards a wider audience.

Seriously, your anecdotal evidence doesn't mean ****. I'm a hardcore gamer and I wouldn't even think about buying myself a Wii. Last march my bracket was in a contest for a Wii, and my plan was if I won I'd give the thing to my sister or sell it. I'd rather have the pleasure of giving someone a good gift or having the cash than play on the thing. I played the Zelda game, Wii Sports, and a few other games and watched my roommate play them a lot. I'm not proving anything here, but trying to push the point home that your being a hardcore gamer and enjoying a Wii doesn't mean **** for proof.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:54

Everyday I have to deal with this crap at work and once I start talking about streaming; the kids hit me with, "Oh well the PS3 has no games."

Wtf!? The Wii has no games either as far as I'm concerned.

The only thing that seperates the Wii from the 360/PS3 is that it can sell without any "killer apps" or a "vast" selection of titles.

I suggest you stop conversing with stupid people then.

Also, the Wii has Super Paper Mario. As far as I am concerned, that ALONE is worth, like, 30 regular games.

davbere
06-25-2007, 06:56
Read my post, dude. But perhaps it wasn't clear. Sony was brave in trying the PSP. But if they had gotten cocky and just dove right in(like Jaguar) and said "Man Nintendo has no idea what they are doing" they could end up just wasting their time and money.

The PSP is a flat out marvelous little device.
Its Sony's first attempt in the habdheld market and it's doing pretty darn good considering.
I cannot wait to see the evolution of the psp.

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 06:57
Seriously, your anecdotal evidence doesn't mean ****. I'm a hardcore gamer and I wouldn't even think about buying myself a Wii.

I'm curious, I don't know your gaming history so this could completely backfire on me but as a hardcore gamer would you think about buying an XBox360? If not I would suggest the fact you wouldn't buy a Wii is meaningless because you're simply a Sony fan. (not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, I just think it doesn't make you representative of hardcore gamers necessarily)

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 06:58
What the **** are you talking about? Casual gamers tend to favor the WII! Hence the high sales. The Wii and the DS aren't for hardcore gamers. Nintendo never even made that pretense. They are marketed towards kids and family mainly, although now the Wii is marketed towards a wider audience.
Non-gamers tend to favor the Wii.
By "casual gamer" I mean the guy who'll pick up and play Halo for about 2 hours, then not really pay much attention for the next month or two. Not grandma who wants to see what this whole "We" thing is about.

Seriously, your anecdotal evidence doesn't mean ****. I'm a hardcore gamer and I wouldn't even think about buying myself a Wii.
I never said hardcore would or would not buy a Wii.

But you're kinda lying yourself if you still play favorites. Hell, even I plan to own all 3 one day.

Last march my bracket was in a contest for a Wii, and my plan was if I won I'd give the thing to my sister or sell it. I'd rather have the pleasure of giving someone a good gift or having the cash than play on the thing. I played the Zelda game, Wii Sports, and a few other games and watched my roommate play them a lot. I'm not proving anything here, but trying to push the point home that your being a hardcore gamer and enjoying a Wii doesn't mean **** for proof.

I...never implied that it meant anything more than "hardcore gamers tend to be more open to weird-ass games like Super Monkey Ball and Raving Rabbids."

Pizza_Lover
06-25-2007, 06:58
u guys gotta stop criticizing sony for this. just cuz nintendo is doing awsome right now dont mean sony is doing bad. its just not doing as good as nintendo but its doing alright. at least sony is almost worth as much as nintendo, which is pretty amazing considering who popular wii and nds is.

Shadow780
06-25-2007, 06:59
well my take on Wii/DS ruining traditional games is that as those party-oriented, family-friendly, and Mario-spawnage games becomes more and more popular, companies are going to pour their resources in those genres instead of making those big titles that we might expect once a year or once per two years.

Let's take fire emblem, my favorite SRPG for example, on the FC it has been featured twice, and SFC three times, and only once in GC, and once so far in Wii. I was pretty mad when I first purchased a GC because I bought it mainly for FE games and I only get to played it once. Same thing now, I bought a Wii, mainly for a FE game yet to hit the US market, and I certainly wish that it isn't the only FE game that will appear on Wii.

Wasib
06-25-2007, 06:59
The Nintendo Wii is great, innovative and new although i do share the concerns of how it could Split the developer community. But the fact is its here, its competition and its not like the PS2 days. Developer support has now migrated. Lefein i find you Wii abuse out of proportion. Its a great system and i look forward to buying one soon enough to compliment my PS3.

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 07:00
The rest is completely subjective but I'm curious about this particular point. Have you tried using a Wii online? I've so far ONLY heard pretty positive things about Nintendo's browser capabilities. Maybe you've heard differently, but that's the impression I get.

Yes, I have. I'm not debating whether you heard positive things.

EvoLutioNight
06-25-2007, 07:01
Also, the Wii has Super Paper Mario. As far as I am concerned, that ALONE is worth, like, 30 regular games.
I hope your some joke character coming in here with a statement like that. Thats like something the ultimate wii-fanboy would say

BobsRevenge
06-25-2007, 07:02
I'm curious, I don't know your gaming history so this could completely backfire on me but as a hardcore gamer would you think about buying an XBox360? If not I would suggest the fact you wouldn't buy a Wii is meaningless because you're simply a Sony fan. (not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, I just think it doesn't make you representative of hardcore gamers necessarily)

No, I'm a PC gamer first and a console gamer second. Almost every game that I'm interested in for the 360 is coming out for the PC. The PS3 has a lot to offer in the future that the PC doesn't. I don't mind the inquiry.

Loudninja
06-25-2007, 07:02
The Nintendo Wii is great, innovative and new although i do share the concerns of how it could Split the developer community. But the fact is its here, its competition and its not like the PS2 days. Developer support has now migrated. Lefein i find you Wii abuse out of proportion. Its a great system and i look forward to buying one soon enough to compliment my PS3.

Developer support has now migrated?where? The willl STILL lack amjor third party support, that was their downfall last gen.

Gameplay Player
06-25-2007, 07:05
Developer support has now migrated?where? The willl STILL lack amjor third party support, that was their downfall last gen.

There are multiple reports of a shift towards the Wii within the Japanese gaming industry in particular. This is already being discussed in a different thread (I think in the Wii forum) but I can provide some links if you wish.

bobtheduck
With all the crap "casual gamer" games coming on the Wii, I see this as the decline of good games if Wii stays on top... If wii stays on top, we'll see a whole lot fewer Final Fantasy XIIIs and Metal Gear Solid 4s and Uncharteds and Mass Effects and Silent Hill 5s...

We'll see a lot more nintendogs and Catz and pokemon mastur XXIII and Cleaning Mama and Wii play... That will be the day I stop gaming. The more I see it, the more I think Wii may be very bad for the game industry.

The Muffin Man
well my take on Wii/DS ruining traditional games is that as those party-oriented, family-friendly, and Mario-spawnage games becomes more and more popular, companies are going to pour their resources in those genres instead of making those big titles that we might expect once a year or once per two years.

Let's take fire emblem, my favorite SRPG for example, on the FC it has been featured twice, and SFC three times, and only once in GC, and once so far in Wii. I was pretty mad when I first purchased a GC because I bought it mainly for FE games and I only get to played it once. Same thing now, I bought a Wii, mainly for a FE game yet to hit the US market, and I certainly wish that it isn't the only FE game that will appear on Wii.

Well let's be completely fair. There wasn't even a North American release until the GBA release. I'd expect to see every new Fire Emblem released here from now on, since they apparently did so well. I don't mean to mock you(and if it comes off as such, I apologize) but it's silly to assume that the Wii is going to make these types of games overcome the niche titles.

There will always be games like Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, and (god I hope so) Earthbound for Nintendo to keep as far as traditional games go. Just like how PS3 isn't going to suddenly lose Lair, Resistance, and other such games because LittleBigWorld sold well.

I hope your some joke character coming in here with a statement like that. Thats like something the ultimate wii-fanboy would say
You're not a quick one.

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 07:06

Can't disregard customers. According to my boss, its against the law. =D

Meh. I'd rather play a good VC title or try WarioWare.

That 2-D to 3-D thing didn't float my boat.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 07:07
With all the crap "casual gamer" games coming on the Wii, I see this as the decline of good games if Wii stays on top... If wii stays on top, we'll see a whole lot fewer Final Fantasy XIIIs and Metal Gear Solid 4s and Uncharteds and Mass Effects and Silent Hill 5s...

We'll see a lot more nintendogs and Catz and pokemon mastur XXIII and Cleaning Mama and Wii play... That will be the day I stop gaming. The more I see it, the more I think Wii may be very bad for the game industry.

Dude, you've really gotta stop lumping Pokemon in with like Catz and Cooking Mama.

It's a traditional RPG that's been around for over a decade.

TGO
06-25-2007, 07:08

This post is where your reputation went straight for a nosedive :|
http://img.nytstore.com/IMAGES/NSAP180_LARGE.JPG

techna
06-25-2007, 07:09
Well I think they got there because of good marketing and pricing. But as people research different products offered, they will come to the conclusion of buying products worth there interest and integrity. I still think sony will do well in the end.

Sony needs to market there products better than what we've seen so far. :neutral:

Wasib
06-25-2007, 07:11
hmmmm

Bob the duck do not worry. I remember saying the same thing about the PS2 when it came out. All games were mass casual and medicore but in the end i turned to the Playstation Brand based on the games it delivered. The Wii may deliever some stunning games for example it took the DS a year to fully come on gear. Additionally do not expect Sony or Microsoft to be happy and content with how well Nintendo are doing. They will now pull out every thing possible and try giving us gamers more. Competition is good. But obviousley if the wii continues to do well it will take developers, but thats no differnet to what happened to the Gamecube and Xbox as the PS2 was roaring ahead.

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 07:12
Can't disregard customers. According to my boss, its against the law. =D
Haha yeah. Jobs are a bitch like that.
Can't argue with them, can't bludgeon them to death with copy of Deer Hunter 9.

Meh. I'd rather play a good VC title or try WarioWare.

That 2-D to 3-D thing didn't float my boat.

Fair enough. Not everyones cup of tea, I understand.

I personally loved the old school Mario feel. You, understandably, seem to prefer ACTUAL old school Mario. ;) Nothing wrong with that. Different strokes, and all that.

I wonder how many more "we are different and that's okay" phrases I can squeeze into this post if I really tried :D

The Muffin Man
06-25-2007, 07:12
This post is where your reputation went straight for a nosedive :|

Well I'm sorry I am really excited and enjoy the game, then.

Shadow780
06-25-2007, 07:14
Well let's be completely fair. There wasn't even a North American release until the GBA release. I'd expect to see every new Fire Emblem released here from now on, since they apparently did so well. I don't mean to mock you(and if it comes off as such, I apologize) but it's silly to assume that the Wii is going to make these types of games overcome the niche titles.

There will always be games like Pokemon, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, and (god I hope so) Earthbound for Nintendo to keep as far as traditional games go. Just like how PS3 isn't going to suddenly lose Lair, Resistance, and other such games because LittleBigWorld sold well.

Well I didn't live in America when the first 5 FE games were released so I got to play all of them thoroughly before the first English FE games hit the market. I'm happy to see that FE games finally gets the attention they deserve and yet disappointed that Nintendo decided to focus on hand-held FE games rather than the console ones. Of course I still like those GBA ver. but I'm beginning to get the feeling that I'm playing the old FE game over and over again. I want the FE series to evolve, preferrably on the console.

Well for other Nintendo ace games I actually don't enjoy 'em as much. I never liked Pokemon, Metroid, or Mario to that matter, but I played a little bit Zelda now and then, and I'm a big Smash Bros. fan, but waiting for those titles is a pain in the neck nowadays because it take longer for Nintendo to publish those games.

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 07:18
Well I think they got there because of good marketing and pricing.

I liked the mario party 8 commercial, but outside of that; I didn't really get that "wow" feeling with any of the other commercials.

So IMO pricing yes, marketing not so much.

I haven't seen too many Wii/PS3 commercials in a good min now that I'm thinking about it.

Someone needs to start a petition for better PS3 marketing.
Let's wait for that new campaign though.

TGO
06-25-2007, 07:20
Well I'm sorry I am really excited and enjoy the game, then.

Thats much better
*25 character rule*

Daz
06-25-2007, 07:21

Selling over 21 million PSPs is hardly trounced, especially when you take into consideration how much the PSP costs in comparison to the DS. Nintendo has also been in the handheld market a lot longer so they have a huge following. Nintendos stock is over inflated and will crash. The Wii will prove to be a fad. The games and consoles both will stop selling as soon as the other two console get down to there price point. Sony has a lot more to stand on than Nintendo.

BobsRevenge
06-25-2007, 07:24
Non-gamers tend to favor the Wii.
By "casual gamer" I mean the guy who'll pick up and play Halo for about 2 hours, then not really pay much attention for the next month or two. Not grandma who wants to see what this whole "We" thing is about.

Thanks for clearing that definition, but I'd still say that the Wii is more popular with casual gamers than the PS3 certainly right now. The 360 has some market share with casual gamers, but I'd still think the Wii is much more appealing to casual gamers.

I never said hardcore would or would not buy a Wii.

You said that you were proof that the Wii was for hardcore gamers.

But you're kinda lying yourself if you still play favorites. Hell, even I plan to own all 3 one day.

The Wii does not only not fit my gaming style, but it doesn't fit my lifestyle. I'm into things for substance. I watch a lot of Kurosawa, Bergman, and Malick films. I listen to music that moves me and I take my time absorbing it. I have never been into Nintendo games because they are shallow. You're talking to a guy who thinks Brokeback Mountain ****ed Lord of the Rings in the ass when it comes to cinematic quality. I'm not playing favorites, I'm being true to myself. I have no reason to own a 360 because most of the games I'm interested in that are coming out for it are coming out for the PC, so I can't justify the purchase. This isn't to say I don't enjoy some good fun social gaming, but I'm holding out for the PS3 to give the better experience for this.

I...never implied that it meant anything more than "hardcore gamers tend to be more open to weird-ass games like Super Monkey Ball and Raving Rabbids."

I wouldn't be so sure about that. My roommate with the Wii is a hardcore gamer, but the only game he has every played by himself on it is Zelda. On the other hand when we have other people who don't really play games we have played Super Monkey Ball and they enjoyed themselves. Hardcore gamers are more likely to know about those games, I wouldn't say they are more likely to enjoy them.

LordNoob
06-25-2007, 07:25
Selling over 21 million PSPs is hardly trounced, especially when you take into consideration how much the PSP costs in comparison to the DS. Nintendo has also been in the handheld market a lot longer so they have a huge following. Nintendos stock is over inflated and will crash. The Wii will prove to be a fad. The games and consoles both will stop selling as soon as the other two console get down to there price point. Sony has a lot more to stand on than Nintendo.

Lol what? The DS is owning everything. Even the Wii has to succumb to its success.

Although, I do agree somewhat the PSP is here to stay unlike Sega's attempt.

christianpachon
06-25-2007, 07:49
The only reason why the Wii is at front it is because of the price, and not because of being a powerful machine. Someday now the people that bought a Wii will start thinking in buying a new console and they will think on a ps3.

Alpha2
06-25-2007, 07:53
The story has many people confused.

Its Nintendo's STOCK MARKET worth for one thing. and Second it's compared to the Stocks of SCEI Not the entire corporation if Sony, that makes Movies, music and other things. The Market is only responding to the Wii's quick sales burst and it makes it a valuable stock but it's not as if Sony's stock is worthless.

E3 is around the corner and that will also effect the stock market worth of both companies again.

Pizza_Lover
06-25-2007, 08:12
The story has many people confused.

Its Nintendo's STOCK MARKET worth for one thing. and Second it's compared to the Stocks of SCEI Not the entire corporation if Sony, that makes Movies, music and other things. The Market is only responding to the Wii's quick sales burst and it makes it a valuable stock but it's not as if Sony's stock is worthless.

E3 is around the corner and that will also effect the stock market worth of both companies again.

no its actually compare to 'Sony Corp (6758.T)' which is all of sony. yes, nintendo is bigger than sony include all the divisions. crazy! to think they did this with just 2 product, nds and wii.

BobsRevenge
06-25-2007, 08:24
no its actually compare to 'Sony Corp (6758.T)' which is all of sony. yes, nintendo is bigger than sony include all the divisions. crazy! to think they did this with just 2 product, nds and wii.

Don't use the word bigger here. That could easily be misread. Sony is a far larger company and has much more solid ground to stand on because of its successful diversification.

Alpha2
06-25-2007, 08:24
Hmm I feel like there's probably something we're missing here though, Yes the DS is certainly worth the money.... wait THAT's what it is.

It's because Nintendo never looses any money-- WAIT! THAT'S why their stock is so high. After killing with the DS and the surprise Wii-splosion they've generated a ton of profit because they never loose any money on production. Add to that the Driven up demand generated by the low supply of systems and you get the impression of a market power house.

Sony as a large company is much more visible, and looses money on every system sold but also on movies and anytime they release a new piece of hardware, They've got like 8 high end TVs on the market now as it is. And anytime a movie does poorly it looks more like a corporation wide failure rather than just a single devision. Add to that the Lawsuits with lower interest by investors in their stock and it looks more like a balancing issue. they're meeting each other going the opposite direction. Now I'm getting it.

E3 has the potential to redirect this though. Not necessarily to change the sales but it can effect the STOCKS If Nintendo dosent produce any further excitement at E3 and Sony does it could improve investor interest and but them back up.

jlippone
06-25-2007, 08:32
Yup, Nintendo has done their busines very well after N64.
Gamecube was quite a nice succes and seems like Wii will be better.

This while Pokemon and handheld market gives them strong backbone of revenues.

Pizza_Lover
06-25-2007, 08:35
Don't use the word bigger here. That could easily be misread. Sony is a far larger company and has much more solid ground to stand on because of its successful diversification.

i see what u saying, but technicaly nintendo is the 'bigger' company now with the 'bigger' market cap. its consider worth more. but sony does have more employee and products. but that doesnt always mean bigger company.

Soulxxx
06-25-2007, 08:37
I just want to make sure everyone knows - the title doesn't mean, in any way, that the Wii is worth more than the PS3. Don't even try of thinking about it. It was never the case.

Carry on.

TGO
06-25-2007, 09:14
Am I the only one that notice this in the article?

Nintendo has so far sold about 2.37 million Wii console's in the U.S, 2 Million in Japan and 1.47 million in regions, including Europe, since the November debut,

killzone_71
06-25-2007, 09:18
IMO, Bloomberg is just talking about Sony's Games division... including their Film division is another story...

Azure
06-25-2007, 09:21

It's going to devaluate or Nintendo is going to start producing laptops and MP3 players as Nintendo Branded "companion devices" for the Wii. Either way, they are ill equipped for that amount of capital. Noone is saying Nintendo is dead now, just maybe the Nintendo as you know it. The only other alternative is that Nintendo walks away from a growth opportunity to continue their business strategy as they see fit. Thats all.

Being as they are profitable year on year on year with no other strategy I would assume he would be welcomed by applause actually.

Regulus
06-25-2007, 09:23

Please motivate why you say that. We've heard Bloomberg's side, now let us hear yours.

Pizza_Lover
06-25-2007, 09:30
IMO, Bloomberg is just talking about Sony's Games division... including their Film division is another story...

read the thread dude. its bout 'sony corp' which is the whole sony. yes its unbelievable but true.

zetsurin
06-25-2007, 09:41

I think you've been too focused on the Muffins personally. So you are saying that 10 years and 200 million consoles was 'getting lucky'. You have no idea what you are talking about. And on the handheld front, the PSP got trounced in Japan where they have 'unique' tastes, however in the rest of the world it's FAR less bleak. Take away the Japan numbers, where the DS is the modern day yoyo and you have a much closer race. Considering this is their first real attempt at the handheld market, it's been an incredible success and dare I say potentially a worrying sign for Nintendo who have enjoyed an almost 100% market capitalisation in the handheld arena. If the PSP takes 30% of that market it will be all at Nintendo's expense. They only have one direction to travel. The PSP2 will be a more compelling unit than the original PSP. That 30% will grow.

And mark my words, Microsoft WILL enter the handheld market.

I think Nintendo are doing a fantastic job and have a very good model for making money at the moment, but let's not get off on our own aroma over this.

TGO
06-25-2007, 09:45
People are aware this could change like.......ummm tomorrow :rolleyes:

CrownOfLove
06-25-2007, 10:31
Wow, i had no idea Nintendo were this rich!

Seen as all of Nintendo's money is for their game division, does that mean that nintendo actually have loads more money then sony to spend on their game products?

The DS may be beating the PSP by some amount, but the PSP is still selling decently, and i imagine it will make sony a hefty profit in the end.

Loudninja
06-25-2007, 10:47
LMAO, it just funny to see all these people act like they know what they are talking about

Croweater
06-25-2007, 11:53
Good for them. This will only inspire Sony to work harder.

corwin
06-25-2007, 12:04
No,

it just means that all of their stock are worth more than all of sony stocks. Actualy its a lot more conplicated than that.

The question is, taht now everybody will consider, if their develpment plan and future projects would support future growth, if yes, more people will buy their stock which will cause that they will increase in value even more. If not, some people might decide to sell them, which might on the other hand draw the impression that the price is decreasing and more people will sell them which will erode the price even more.

The only question is the extent and how many individual or speculative investor own their shares and how many of them.

that is that in general, of course, its more complicated than that