PDA

View Full Version : ISP issue, experts please advise.

Nox
09-17-2007, 18:25
If any are around that is...

So I have all relevant ports forwarded to my ps3 from my linksys. I also have the ps3 in dmz. In other words, it's the all clear to my ps3 machine...

However, in warhawk, I noticed something odd.

All of the sony ranked servers, and many non-sony servers just have ???? as the ping. I figured this was happening to others, but when my brother came over he was like 'wtf is that' because apparently it doesn't happen to him.

Not only that, but if I go to start/run/cmd, and type ping yahoo.com and hit enter, I get request timed out, I can't ping out from my computer at all, since getting this ISP, and unfortunately it's the only ISP in town.

And thirdly, using remote play over Internet just results in a vague error number. I am betting this is also ISP related.

I'd like to call my ISP and gripe at them about this, but I'm not sure what I'd say, or tell them to change. Any ideas?

Egyptology
09-17-2007, 19:29
I get that too. But I also have two different routers, one of them is a vonage router and the other is a belkin wireless router and they are in sequence. So really I dont know what the problem is and I am not ready to find out, cause I may have to dish out more cash to buy on very good expensive router.

HWMbrogden
09-17-2007, 19:36
same problem man. i have connection problems too though. same router, same everything. resistance works for me most of the time but warhawk has been giving me so many problems since i got it. im selling the p.o.s.

Nox
09-17-2007, 19:40
Well I connect and can play warhawk just fine. It's just the ping for a lot of servers shows ???? for some reason.

DmiteXXi
09-17-2007, 19:55
If any are around that is...

So I have all relevant ports forwarded to my ps3 from my linksys. I also have the ps3 in dmz. In other words, it's the all clear to my ps3 machine...

However, in warhawk, I noticed something odd.

All of the sony ranked servers, and many non-sony servers just have ???? as the ping. I figured this was happening to others, but when my brother came over he was like 'wtf is that' because apparently it doesn't happen to him.

Not only that, but if I go to start/run/cmd, and type ping yahoo.com and hit enter, I get request timed out, I can't ping out from my computer at all, since getting this ISP, and unfortunately it's the only ISP in town.

And thirdly, using remote play over Internet just results in a vague error number. I am betting this is also ISP related.

I'd like to call my ISP and gripe at them about this, but I'm not sure what I'd say, or tell them to change. Any ideas?

ICMP is information protocol to get information on your IP network. If you get request time out i would check your FW to see if you blocking that expecially your desktop.

to see where your packets are dying type the following from cmd:

tracert -d www.yahoo.com (http://www.yahoo.com)

and see that the last hop is. If it dies at your default GW then look at your FW. I know i personally disable ICMP on my FW because of the nature of low level destructive viruses.

DmiteXXi
09-17-2007, 20:02
same problem man. i have connection problems too though. same router, same everything. resistance works for me most of the time but warhawk has been giving me so many problems since i got it. im selling the p.o.s.

dont blame the game/application as this a network related issue and almost positive its related to your network. Look into the OSI layers to learn the hiarchy of technology.

This also should not prevent you from playing the game unless a person hosting a server requires a certain responce time from players wanting to join.

HWMbrogden
09-17-2007, 20:56
look into the what? what are OSI layers? im sorry i have been getting used to this networking talk but i dont get everything quite yet.

I am having problems staying connected in all the games i play online including resistance. Resistance runs better for me though and i get dropped from games less often. I have ports open too, what should i do?

Nox
09-17-2007, 20:59
my isp has said they block icmp, which I think may be causing my remote play problems, farking a.