Three main Protagonists? No thanks.
Three main Protagonists? No thanks.
Game Informer is out NOW! Details incoming.
This post is a work in progress - it's going to change.
- GTA V is the result of a combined effort from 'many Rockstar studios'.
- Three main characters. Michael, Trevor and Franklin
- You can switch between the three at nearly any given moment
- When you switch between the characters the camera pulls away to a Google Earth style map and then it zooms back in to where ever your chosen character is.
- When you are not controlling a character they go about their daily business. When you regain control you may find yourself in a tricky or unexpected situation.
- Each character has a unique personality, motivation and skill set.
- Michael is the older, smartly dressed man. He used to be a successful bank robber, he made a deal with the FBI, he was placed in the witness protection programme and now lives a life of luxury. Has two teenage children (Tracy & Jimmy) and he hates his wife Amanda. Money is running out, he needs to get back in the game.
- Franklin is the youngest of the three, he's in his mid 20's. He works as a repo man for a luxury car dealership who sells cars to people who can't afford them. He's the most capable of the three and meets Michael when looking for a hustle. He's a bit of a red neck.
- Trevor is a long time friend of Michael but his life is a contrast to Michael's. he is a frequent drug user and has a tattoo on his neck which says 'Cut Here' with a dotted line. Trevor is a war veteran and used to fly planes in the military. He is described as having a maniacal personality and is a loose cannon.
- And I quote "GTA V is bigger than RDR, GTA IV and San Andreas combined" The biggest world ever created by Rockstar.
- The game includes the following areas and more. The bustling city of Los Santos, leafy suburbs, wine country, wilderness, a fully explorable Mt Chilliad, Salton Sea region, a military base.
- Trevor lives in Blaine County, a baron and run down desert region on the edge of society which is populated with biker gangs and meth heads.
- "Bring your scuba equipment, you can explore Los Santos' coastline"
- More ways of getting around than ever. Confirmed - BMX, mountain bikes, road bikes, dirt bikes, a huge variety of cars and trucks, helicopters, planes, ATV's, jet ski's.
- You won't need to wait until the end game to fly. Utilise Trevor's experience as a pilot, but you'll need to find a plane first.
- To pass the time you can try your hand at tennis, yoga, triathlons, jet skiing, base jumping and golf on a full size course.
- Characters react differently depending on their surroundings. Greetings and language used varies from region to region.
- Ammu-Nation is back!
- Driving: Dan Houser says he felt the cars felt a little 'boat like' in GTA IV. Much improved this time, they hold to the ground better. He says the mechanic feels more akin to a racing game and that it's going to "scratch that itch".
- Shooting: Dan Houser says that the shooting has evolved. "Not just in terms of how it works, but also how you play the game."
- Melee Combat: Dan Houser says it's the best ever. "How far we will push it depends. It's never going to be as important as shooting, but we want it to feel really fun and strong."
- Game Informer watched Rockstar's play tester pour a trial of gas/petrol away from a car, drop a Zippo onto it to create a traveling flame and a spectacular explosion.
- Heists are a big theme in the game, as seen in the trailer. Complex missions akin to GTA IV's bank mission are in the game.
- The musical score reacts to the action.
- Cinematic tricks learned from Max Payne 3 will be utilised.
- In one mission you can decide to switch between the characters, be the getaway pilot as Trevor, ride shotgun as Franklin or take up Michael's position in the back of the helicopter and use an assault rifle.
I like the idea that you can switch between any of the three main protagonists at nearly any given moment.
Wow that sounds awesome. Can't wait for trailer 2!
The world sounds HUGE, can't believe its BIGGER than all of those games. like WUT.
"GTA V is bigger than RDR, GTA IV and San Andreas combined"
And for the doubters:
Just seen the pics, holy ****ing ****.
This game looks gorgeous! :shock:
The characters are all awesome! Michael is cool.
This is cool if they're relatively far away from each other. Time consuming and pointless if they're near. :lol:Quote:
- When you switch between the characters the camera pulls away to a Google Earth style map and then it zooms back in to where ever your chosen character is
Still, can't wait for the game. :)
Having read Game Informer I can clarify on the size of the game.
Its the whole area which is larger than the others combined, it consists of indoors, out doors, underwater and sky! It will still be huge and Dan Houser's comments have me pumped. Like seriously hyped:
"When we're building a world we tend to fly about and check things out using a freely moving debug camera. It's pretty incredible starting a mile up looking over the vast city, rivers, coastline, countryside, hills, mountains, canyons, deserts, wetlands, forests, and all the little towns, farms, buildings and settlements and zoom in to an area. Starting that high you can see the shadows of the clouds roll over the land, the helicopters, birds and planes flying about."
i sure do hope this 2nd Trailer is at least 3-4mins long :)
Downloading my issue of GI now. Can't wait to read about this game!
how the hell have they managed to make it that big? surely there must be a compromise for the 360 only users?
either way this sounds AMAZING. Best game this gen, mark my words.
Another screenshot showing all three characters:
I ended up buying a yearly sub. Can't complain for £13
THIS IS WHY ROCKSTAR IS THE BEST.
Every point i read made me came ( except one)
So excited, my hype for a game had NEVER been this high before, I mean RDR, SA AND IV combined?!?!?! and with the detail of IV, wow, i really really feel sory for other open world games.
This is going out with a band!
I just hope that the FPS is stable, bad AA or textures are bearable, dropping FPS isn't.( AC3 for me feels like it drops FPS a lot, really ruins the feeling)
Only thing that has me worried is the: Dan Houser says he felt the cars felt a little 'boat like' in GTA IV. Much improved this time, they hold to the ground better. He says the mechanic feels more akin to a racing game and that it's going to "scratch that itch".
This has me worried as i really really loved the driving physics in IV, the cars did not handle like boats to me( maybe a little sluggish nothing bad), and many others. The only problem was that there was too much traction, If the cars stick to the road more it could make the driving A LOT worse( depending on how much he means). I hope to god Houser does not cave into the minority who dislike the physics( who also were the ones who crashed as they played it like SR) That could potentially be a big problem to me, without the driving physics IV would not even have been played for half the amount it has been ( by me).
Still very excited!
This is pushing the boundaries!!