French magazine Jeux Video has provided the first review of Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag.
The game received 18 points out of 20. Jeux Video handed out a 4/5 for gameplay, 4/5 for graphics, 5/5 for the soundtrack, and 5/5 for game length.
You can find a full breakdown of the review below, courtesy of a now-deleted post on the Ubisoft forums.
- World map praised
- A lot of things to do
- Stealth also praised; you can choose how to approach your target, etc.
- Game has some technical problems
- Cities are supposedly better than AC3 (for free running)
- A true Assassin’s Creed game, the most accomplished of the franchise
- Slow combat than Assassin’s Creed III
- Less weapons
- Fewer new types of enemies
- Naval battles highly praised
- You’ll play as Edward for about 10 minutes after launching the game on your console
- Economic system of is easier to understand and really well made (you board ships, and sell resources)
- Need to upgrade your ship to succeed on sea
- To upgrade your ship you’ll need resources
- Get resources by boarding ships
- Taking forts have an impact on Edward’s progression; it will reveal the location of special places such as caves
- In all main or secondary missions you can play stealthy if you choose to
- The involvement of Edward in the Templar-Assassin conflict is a bit predictable but still well done by Darby; will see a lot of history events
- Conclusion: AC4 is the most successful game of the franchise; better mechanics of gameplay, better level design, the game is a real success.
- You’ll need about 20 hours to complete the main path and 50 hours to complete everything.
"About PS4 version:
-Beautiful, fluid, ... BUT there are aliasing on some textures."