Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nut_Man View Post
    From what I understand, all it does is stream it from your PC. So you'll need a PC that can handle bioshock in the first place...And if you do then why would you stream it to the PS3? There's already easier ways to put it onto a TV instead of a monitor...
    True, but what if websites can stream games you don't own. Provided their is a good enough frame rate and stuff. You could have the latest PC game streamed onto your PS3 without even buying a PC.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Anbu_Evolution
    I don't see how this would benefit the people with crappy computers. Like others have said, don't you need a powerful PC capable of running the game in the first place for it to stream it? Unless it somehow works like terminal servers in which you are using the computer resources of the game company streaming the games, I don't see how it works.

Nut_Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    True, but what if websites can stream games you don't own. Provided their is a good enough frame rate and stuff. You could have the latest PC game streamed onto your PS3 without even buying a PC.
    Yeah that would be cool, but thats not what they're doing and that type of thing wont happen for awhile. If it does then I'd be totally on board paying $15-$20 a month to play the newest PC games instead of spending hundreds upgrading.

Elite Member
    people are really misunderstanding... The games are not run on the PS3 . They don't have to be programmed for the Cell, they don't have to run directX they just have to recieve the stream of video that would go to you monitor but is sent to the PS3 instead.

Basically it's like remote desktop for games.

This is very useful in that most xbox360 exclusives also go to PC. Basically you could play bioshock, halo3 and other games on your PC streamed to the playstation (IN THEORY).

Not everybody has their PC connected to their TV. And if this can stream in HD 720p or 1080p i'd be VERY impressed

look at the big picture people, and read the lines not between them
    Setup

TV:
    Mirai DTL 642E500 | 42" 1080P HDTV
    Audio: Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound
    Consoles: Playstation3 60GB Premium | Playstation 2

FuriousJoe
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    Thanks for the news, but highly unlikely;

1. PC needs to be a powerhouse to play the games and then stream to PS3 (if that's the case the PC will do the best available job).
    2. Cell & X86 are very different.
    3. Like to see how these guys would have DX10 run on a PS3.
    By my understanding the entire thing is run of the PC thus (X86) and then streamed through an internet browser application, then you'll from the PS3 do the input and the computer recognizes this and run it on the PC.

So the only thing needed is an internet browser capable of running it, as in theory all you get on your screen is a video feed.

Frag_Gordon
    Quote Originally Posted by ish718 View Post
    Even if you do play pc games on your ps3, their gonna run like Crap
    they will have to be programmed exclusively for the cell for them to run smooth on a ps3.
    and BTW what kind of pc games r they talking about? Can't be graphic intensive ones like crysis since streaming such a large amount of data will be almost impossible

my company builds a device that can stream 1920X1200 @ 60FPS over conventional internet lines.

Superior Member

If you understand the concepts remote desktop/streaming, then you will understand the idea (in theory).

Full of Win. =D

Apprentice

Game is run on capable pc>>>>>>>the stream of the video is sent to your pc, ps3.

Keyboard commands...movement, firing.... from your computer>>>>>>>>>>sent to the computer running the game.

So basically you view a video of yourself playing the game remotely on someone else's pc.

I doubt most people in the uk have a fast enough internet conection for a reliable stream anyway. From what ive seen you need about a 25mb connection for a good stream.....which costs about 50 a month............the uk average is about 2-3mb.

Cant see this getting huge anytime soon. Why pay a huge internet bill plus the money its going to cost to play the game each month, when you can just save up for a bit and buy a xbox or ps3?

potestas
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    This will be insane! But I hope it isn't like some sort of emulated games where thigns will be lost.

Also this makes me hope that sony will let us buy some adaptor sort of thing for the ps3 so we can plug in our laptop RAM into it to make our PS3 even better. (maybe only usuable with Linux?)
    Why not opt for a Vaio laptop?

Forum Guru
    Its a nice little feature but its no way a huge advantage.

Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by kuijo View Post
    I think the program runs of linux and i don't believe the wii can have an additional OS. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
    It'd obviously have to be a new port, but there's nothing fundamentally impossible about porting software.

The Wii has no obvious support for another OS, but people eventually cracked the gamecube and ran Linux on it, and I'm sure they'll do the Wii eventually.

BTW, this whole idea seems crazy. The central point of streaming audio is that it's asynchronous; you buffer at least a bit in advance so lag doesn't instantly result in dropped frames. How's that gonna work for actually playing a game? Imagine a laggy session of world of warcraft -- now imagine that the entire interface lags like that, instead of just your interactions with other characters.

I betcha they end up running it on the Infinium Labs Phantom, and the first game it really runs is Duke Nukem Forever.

Veteran
    Hmm my p2p programs will have to work 24/7 to get my HD full with free games.

This is the next step for P2P ?

"Marvel Universe" in 2012 after The FirstAvenger Movie
    (THQ)!

Elite Sage

I don't think you understand, Sventax. This wouldn't result in you HAVING the game. It'd just let you play it remotely on another machine. It would still be installed on the other machine.

Super Elite
    Even if this did happen it's not something that would interest me.
    PS3 Owner Since UK Launch Day - March 23rd 2007
    Now playing - BlazBlue - Calamity Trigger [import] / The King of Fighters XII / Bayonetta [import]

Makes no sense and is pointless. You have to already have a pc capable of running these games and the game itself. Your better off playing it on your pc bc the quality would get worse and there are better ways to connect your pc to your tv. Another thing M$ would sue the hell out them, worthless thread.

Nut_Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jXales View Post
    people are really misunderstanding... The games are not run on the PS3 . They don't have to be programmed for the Cell, they don't have to run directX they just have to recieve the stream of video that would go to you monitor but is sent to the PS3 instead.

Basically it's like remote desktop for games.

This is very useful in that most xbox360 exclusives also go to PC. Basically you could play bioshock, halo3 and other games on your PC streamed to the playstation (IN THEORY).

Not everybody has their PC connected to their TV. And if this can stream in HD 720p or 1080p i'd be VERY impressed

look at the big picture people, and read the lines not between them

I don't understand how you could possibly be excited about that. You'll need a PC that can play the games in the first place. If you have a PC that can play bioshock and halo 3 then why not play it on the PC? That's why this is kinda stupid for streaming to the PS3.

Hello folks,

Well after reading this topic and also seen this on mentionned on other website, I decide to take the plunge.

OK so here is my results.

TEST SETUP
    =========

Game use : Call Of Duty 2 (demo version)
    Network : Wireless lan running at 108mbs (but mostly running at 54mbs).
    Server : PC with an AMD64/3200, 1gb RAM and GeForce 7600GT.
    Client : PC with an AMD64/2800 (Sempron), 1gb RAM, onboard Nvidia 6150 chipset.

REMARK
    ======

- Need a **** fast PC to stream (my current high-end PC has 1gb RAM and an AMD64 3200 CPU and aint fast enough to run and stream the game)
    - Need fast network connection (I have tried it with my wlan and it seem to be a bit hard with a 54mbs network)
    - Need to upgrade to premium version (the free available version allow you to stream up to 640x480 vga, if you want higher resolution you need to pay for the premium
    - Need to connect to their website server (I guess so they can charge more easily their fees by using their "services")

So it does work, but for fast intensive game like an FPS you would need a very powerfull system to run/stream the game smoothly and also better have the 2 system connect via wire and also probably in a 1gb network (Ill have to try by linking the 2 PC together).

I think the client doesnt need to be as powerfull, just need to be able to display an MPEG4 stream in real time (which I am sure the PS3 wont have any problem, unless the decode on the PS3 linux isnt optimize).

I will keep an eye on the Linux version and try it out once it is released. But ill have to try some more less graphics intensive game or lower the resolution. Ohhh it could be good to run those old Baldur Gates games .

Apprentice
    LOL Halo 2 and BioShock on PS3!!

Also technically this would only work on the PS3 since you don't play the games through an internet browser...You run a program which connects to the other computer and you get to play it on yours. Once they make it compatible with Linux and release it, it's ownage time! >=D

Superior Member

you'll need a PC powerful enough to stream the games to the PS3 lol, so what's the use? Might aswell directly connect the PC to the HDTV and play at better quality than streaming to the PS3

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuijo View Post
    I think the program runs of linux and i don't believe the wii can have an additional OS. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
    The wii cant handle its own interface let alone another OS..... you are right.

PSN: QbanJ69 (Add me)

Superior Member
    I just want to be able to play all of my emulators on my TV without having to move my main PC right next to my TV. This would be a great alternative if it could run through the PS3 on Linux and if I could get the SIXAXIS to work with ubuntu on my PS3.
    AIM: mavsman4457
    PNP: mavman4457
    Why my PNP has no S after mav? Basically, I'm dumb.
    Current Games: NBA 2K7 and NBA Street Homecourt

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    I don't think you understand, Sventax. This wouldn't result in you HAVING the game. It'd just let you play it remotely on another machine. It would still be installed on the other machine.
    So you are able to play a cracked game form a distance?
    I am the host with 10000 gamers who pay me $2 each month for a cracked game.....

I think it's going that away instead of downloading you play ? right?

"Marvel Universe" in 2012 after The FirstAvenger Movie
    (THQ)!

Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds cool, but I doubt it really has the ability to do this correctly or efficiently.

Thanks VENGEFUL_BLUR for the avatar and spyrde for the sig!

Cogito ergo sum. - "I think, therefore I am."

Dedicated Member
    its great idea in concept or on paper, but technically is really possible to seamlessly play Crysis for instance on linux running PS3? Far fetched to say the least and fraught with problems.

Master Poster
    Wouldn't this need a pretty fast connection to make it possible... like a gigabit or even faster connection?

Thread Information