Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Enough is Enough: Too Many Game Consoles!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Morell, GamePro.com
    Sony initially introduced two flavors of the PS3: 20GB and 60GB. The differences? The former cut out media card slots and integrated Wi-Fi, and also boasted a smaller hard drive. At $399, the 20GB version could have been a steal. But Sony foolishly priced it at $499 -- only $100 less than the 60GB version. There wasn't enough draw, and Sony quickly phased it out only weeks after launch.

The lack of a low-end model made Sony drop the 60GB version to $499 and introduce an 80GB version as the high-end PS3 at $599. So what does the consumer get for the extra $100? 20GB more hard drive space, a copy of Motorstorm, as well as inferior backward compatibility - Sony switched to cheaper software emulation for PS2 titles in this model in an effort to cut costs.
    Source

An interesting article on GamePro.com about the different SKUs for the PS3 and Xbox 360. (The link I used for the source directs you to the third page of the article aimed at the PS3.) This is giving me second thoughts on buying a 40GB PS3 in the coming months.

Any thoughts? To me he seems quite right: There are too many SKUs and the different options are confusing consumers, myself included. In my opinion Sony should have stuck with only the 60GB.
    WRONG: "Couldn't of been."

RIGHT: "Couldn't have been."

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    I think he has a point in some ways, but I also think, as a consumer society, we all need to be a little smarter. I mean, you've got people like Jack Thompson trying to stop R* every week. Like parents can't stop their kids from playing GTA. Its like this pathetic soap opera that you only thought T.O. and Don McNabb were capable of. Its like the game industry is a joke, people can't figure out the differences. If I'm gonna buy a 500+ dollar game machine, I'm gonna do some effing research, I'm not gonna trust the retard at Wal-Mart to give me what I want. People, you have this organ called a brain. More importantly, this brain has a reigon called the cerebrum capable of rational thought. Please use it before you buy crap like a DS with The Cheetah Girls. Not implying the DS is crap, just the Cheetah Girls game.
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

IRONMAIDEN

actually

i kinda like the available options with the consoles. some fit different people's needs. i'd give a little kid the smaller HDD and adults could use the 60-80gig depending on what you want.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by UCONN for life View Post
    I think he has a point in some ways, but I also think, as a consumer society, we all need to be a little smarter. I mean, you've got people like Jack Thompson trying to stop R* every week. Like parents can't stop their kids from playing GTA. Its like this pathetic soap opera that you only thought T.O. and Don McNabb were capable of. Its like the game industry is a joke, people can't figure out the differences. If I'm gonna buy a 500+ dollar game machine, I'm gonna do some effing research, I'm not gonna trust the retard at Wal-Mart to give me what I want. People, you have this organ called a brain. More importantly, this brain has a reigon called the cerebrum capable of rational thought. Please use it before you buy crap like a DS with The Cheetah Girls. Not implying the DS is crap, just the Cheetah Girls game.
    I agree.

If told my mom, who knows absolutely nothing about game consoles, that I wanted a PS3 for Christmas, she'd go to Target and see that there are three different models to choose from. Do you expect her to do research on each model to see what the differences are? She doesn't even know what Wi-Fi is, or backwards compatibility, or USB ports. Sony can't expect every single person to know what the differences are between their three current SKUs.

I wish there was only one model to choose from. People didn't have a problem with one PS1 or PS2 SKU. Why Sony decided to start whippin' out different SKUs this generation, I don't know. It's getting a bit annoying.

Nariko Rulz
    i don't know why ps3 gets picked on about this. 360 started it with the premium and core, and now they have the most skus i think. also, how many skus does wii have? i think people need to lay off on ps3. it's like people complain ps3 is too expensive, so sony finds a way to make ps3 affordable, and now people complain because they have too much choice.

The King Of Kings
    I think it will be the 40GB and 80GB for a long while.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nariko Rulz View Post
    i don't know why ps3 gets picked on about this. 360 started it with the premium and core, and now they have the most skus i think. also, how many skus does wii have? i think people need to lay off on ps3. it's like people complain ps3 is too expensive, so sony finds a way to make ps3 affordable, and now people complain because they have too much choice.
    One. As the article states, "When you buy a Wii, you buy a Wii."

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I like options and i like the 40GB, I just have to beg to get it this Christmas or see if i can buy one in 08.

For me the 40GB's backwards compatability is fine, PSX games are better than nothing right? Plus you can buy them off the PSN for a few bucks. Sure i have almost 30 PS2 games, but i'll still have my PS2 like how i still have my PS1 even tho all my games work on my PS2.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Dedicated Member
    sony needs to stop like MS theyre over killing it wii right now is the smartest

MODERNGAMERSVIEW.COM

For a lot of people on this forum, the amount of different SKUs doesn't really matter. However, we're in the minority that knows a good deal about the differences between the various models. Joe Schmo looking at an Xbox or PS3 for his kid can be pretty overwhelmed by the different options available to him, and even after looking at the boxes the differences aren't readily apparent. He just wants Little Timmy to be able to play Ratchet & Clank or Viva Pinata, but can be turned off by all of the different SKUs surrounding him at Best Buy. That's a HUGE reason that the Wii is dominating the market right now: everyone gets the same system with the exact same functionality, without any of the "more HDD space but less backwards compatibility" crap.

© Theft l Wanna add me on PSN/XBL? [CLICK!] l twitter.com/WonsAuto
    [reveal][/reveal]

Elite Member
    I think the problem is the consumer is oblivious of the skus, obviously we internet people (<-- LOL!) know the situation and the differences between the three of them (40, 60, 80). Average consumers will run out and buy the cheapest console in the market (40gig), and hope to rely on buying a used ps2. Some how i think the ps2 will in the market much longer than expected where as sony removes BC in the ps3s completely. BC is a vein in console marketing, but it seems here sony doesnt have a choice... Would be cool if sony released a third ps2 model running around pricing around $50... Or perhaps price cut on the slimline out right now. Definitely something i would pick up for my back catalog gaming.

Ancient
    This is water under the bridge, why are we discussing it again

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    The PS2 had heaps of different SKUs too.... The difference is that it's more noticeable now because of HDD sizes and USB drives. Basically; more features = more variations for different SKUs.

Yeah, a pretty exaggerated "article". I can;t believe game blog piece writers are still referred to as "journalists".

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items User name style
    My comment refers to both MS and Sony.

Too many SKU's in too short a time. It's fine if over the protracted life of the console you refine the SKU based on new market baselines (80GB disks become the same price as the 60GB when it was released, etc), but the constant knee jerk reactions by firstly Microsoft, and then Sony don't only lead to confusion (and the onus is not on the consumer to get smarter) but also lead to a lack of confidence. People don't want to buy the 40GB or "Arcade" variant when they think it will be replaced yet again in 6 months time with something else. From an outsider looking in it simply appears that the companies have not got their story straight and are almost in this spiralling reactive mode.

It's a terrible way of doing business and is a classic example of them hugely underestimating and misreading the market before they released.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    This is water under the bridge, why are we discussing it again
    You don't have to join the discussion if you don't want to. There are plenty of other threads to browse through.

WonsAuto and Sparc have hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how I think about this whole situation. Even though I may know a wee bit more about the different SKUs than the average consumer, it's still a bit stressful knowing it may be replaced or "obsolete" in a few months' time.

What was wrong with the 60GB that led to Sony's decision on discontinuing it?

Apprentice
    Apple can sell the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, and iPod Touch, all in differing capacities.

So when little Tommy tells his mom that he wants an iPod for the holidays, your saying that Sony, with its 3 SKU's is the confusing consumer electronic? Hmm...

Mom, I want a Playstation 3! So which one does mom buy? The cheapest one of course. I fail to see the problem?

Sony is marketing to different tiers of consumers with one device, different configurations.

How is this any different from Apple offering differing versions of the MacBook, or the iMac, etc. It really seems like journalists are grasping at straws lately to get a quick jab in at Sony's expense. Sad really.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items User name style
    You fail to see the problem and yet I would say that a lot of consumers are confused regarding the different iPods available. I am always being asked "which one should I get and what are the differences".

You fail to see how changing from a SKU which 6-months ago supported 120 million PS2 games to one which supports none leads to confusion in the market? You fail to see how a console wholly capable of playing the Sony Hi-Fidelity format SACD now doesn't support it? (agreed that this is a lesser issue to anyone other than those who are audiophiles).

Do you also fail to see the confusion surrounding the 1080p hype and how the original 360 didn't have a HDMI port, but now it does and how there's still one that doesn't and what that means to someone with a HDTV?

Any time you change a product in a significant way you have to very very clearly get your messaging straight and educate the consumers. I feel there is virtually no education outside of the gaming community and that ordinary, off the street, consumers just see SKU's changing left, right and center and have no idea what it means to them - and yet they are expected to just blindly part with their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gturismo1 View Post
    Apple can sell the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, and iPod Touch, all in differing capacities.

So when little Tommy tells his mom that he wants an iPod for the holidays, your saying that Sony, with its 3 SKU's is the confusing consumer electronic? Hmm...

Mom, I want a Playstation 3! So which one does mom buy? The cheapest one of course. I fail to see the problem?

Sony is marketing to different tiers of consumers with one device, different configurations.

How is this any different from Apple offering differing versions of the MacBook, or the iMac, etc. It really seems like journalists are grasping at straws lately to get a quick jab in at Sony's expense. Sad really.
    Let's pretend Tommy has a lot of PS2 games and got real excited when his friends told him that they could play PS2 games on their PS3. Well, if his mother buys him the cheapest one (which will be the 40 GB soon enough), he's going to be real disappointed.

Comparing consoles to iPods simply doesn't make sense, as the differences between iPods is much more apparent than between PS3s. At a quick glance, the only difference you spot is the HDD capacity. If some guy (not a gamer), for example, wanted to buy a PS3 because he heard how great of a multimedia device it is (which is something that Sony is REALLY pushing), he might end up a little distraught that his 40 GB PS3 doesn't so much as have card readers.

[reveal][/reveal]

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Nariko Rulz View Post
    I don't think that the PS3 is getting picked on. You are making it sound like it's a *** for tat kinda scenario. This is the common practice these days, the market are flooded with so much choices & variants that it gets confusing to the less informed consumers who are same ones that "initiated" this kind of response from the manufacturers. It's just business.

People being people,always have something or rather to complain about, even on trivial matters. But here, you are assuming that every consumer is at fault. There are three types of consumers out there, 1) The well informed through research, 2) The ill informed, mostly through hearsay, & 3) The ones that buy from impulse.

I believe that most of us here are very well aware of what we are getting into even before we purchased our goods & we make it happen by acquiring them. I consider us the lucky ones.

So yeah, it will always be like that out there. And it's unhealthy to generalize.

Sorry.. Out of topic....
    Psst..! Btw, that's Tera Patrick you have there right..? Hahahaahahahahaha! Me liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike!
    "...Man helping Man to help himself.."

Elite Guru
    @WonsAuto
    To drag your example out:sleep:If Tommy lives in an EU country he will still be very disappointed, even if his mother buys him the most expensive one..(60gb/80gb)
    Feed the troll

Applefiend
    Personally I think the choices of PS3 kinda blow. I think if I want a PS3 with a GS+EE chip, Sony should work out a way for me to get it, even if it's an optional plug in cartridge.

I'm not all crazy about it as I have my PS3 already.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by WonsAuto View Post
    Let's pretend Tommy has a lot of PS2 games and got real excited when his friends told him that they could play PS2 games on their PS3. Well, if his mother buys him the cheapest one (which will be the 40 GB soon enough), he's going to be real disappointed.
    Tommy still has a PS2, backwards compatibility is not the issue here. Consumer idiocy is. If you can't take the time to research a product, which isn't difficult, then you deserve to get screwed. Sorry, I don't have sympathy for the people who can't perform simple logical steps.

Ignorance is not a legitimate reason here. If you do a U-turn on a city street, you can't say, "Gee, officer, I didn't know that was illegal", then blame the city for not posting signs. If you did the research, you'd know it was illegal. If you did the research, you'd know the 40GB PS3 doesn't play PS2 games. Christ, it says it right on the box, what more do people need?

Comparing consoles to iPods simply doesn't make sense, as the differences between iPods is much more apparent than between PS3s. At a quick glance, the only difference you spot is the HDD capacity. If some guy (not a gamer), for example, wanted to buy a PS3 because he heard how great of a multimedia device it is (which is something that Sony is REALLY pushing), he might end up a little distraught that his 40 GB PS3 doesn't so much as have card readers.
    If somebody is buying a PS3 as a multimedia device, one would assume he would have enough sense to understand the 60GB is more the 40GB, and 80GB is more the 60GB, and then make their purchase accordingly. Again, your making excuses for lazy consumers. You can go to Sony's website and quickly look up the specs. You can google the SKU and find countless reviews and unboxing photos, that would give you every piece of information you need.

There is this little thing called RESPONSIBILITY. If your not mature enough to take the time to research a product before you buy it, it is your fault when you buy the wrong product.

And sorry, my Apple analogy makes perfect sense. How many people last year went out and bought iPod Nano's thinking they could play videos on them. It was an iPod, Apple brags about how iPods play video, therefore the Nano must play videos. So is it Apples fault when those people had to return their purchases when they got it home and realized, hmm, maybe with a quick one-minute stop at Apple.com, I would have realized this.

Just like a person who puts diesel into their gasoline powered car. Is it the gas stations fault for selling diesel, or the person who didn't understand the difference.

Maybe, and I know this sounds absolutely insane, but I think its time we start putting an importance on education, instead of dumbing down our society even further.

Quote Originally Posted by bubano View Post
    @WonsAuto
    To drag your example out:sleep:If Tommy lives in an EU country he will still be very disappointed, even if his mother buys him the most expensive one..(60gb/80gb)
    Well, the article was written by an American publication for an American audience (including me), so I wouldn't have thought of the PAL region.

Regardless,the 60 and 80 GB both have SOME B/C compatibility, even if it is all software-based. In my opinion, the 60 GB model was the one and only SKU that Sony ever needed (talking about the NTSC region again).

Tommy still has a PS2, backwards compatibility is not the issue here. Consumer idiocy is. If you can't take the time to research a product, which isn't difficult, then you deserve to get screwed. Sorry, I don't have sympathy for the people who can't perform simple logical steps.

Ignorance is not a legitimate reason here. If you do a U-turn on a city street, you can't say, "Gee, officer, I didn't know that was illegal", then blame the city for not posting signs. If you did the research, you'd know it was illegal. If you did the research, you'd know the 40GB PS3 doesn't play PS2 games. Christ, it says it right on the box, what more do people need?

If somebody is buying a PS3 as a multimedia device, one would assume he would have enough sense to understand the 60GB is more the 40GB, and 80GB is more the 60GB, and then make their purchase accordingly. Again, your making excuses for lazy consumers. You can go to Sony's website and quickly look up the specs. You can google the SKU and find countless reviews and unboxing photos, that would give you every piece of information you need.

There is this little thing called RESPONSIBILITY. If your not mature enough to take the time to research a product before you buy it, it is your fault when you buy the wrong product.

And sorry, my Apple analogy makes perfect sense. How many people last year went out and bought iPod Nano's thinking they could play videos on them. It was an iPod, Apple brags about how iPods play video, therefore the Nano must play videos. So is it Apples fault when those people had to return their purchases when they got it home and realized, hmm, maybe with a quick one-minute stop at Apple.com, I would have realized this.

Just like a person who puts diesel into their gasoline powered car. Is it the gas stations fault for selling diesel, or the person who didn't understand the difference.

Maybe, and I know this sounds absolutely insane, but I think its time we start putting an importance on education, instead of dumbing down our society even further.
    I don't want to make excuses for the lazy, but considering that most people don't do the proper research when purchasing consumer electronics, it really is intimidating for people that walk into a store and see 6 different SKUs for just two different video game systems. You'd be amazed at the large amount of people that think that there's only one kind of PS3 or Xbox 360, come in to purchase one and get their buying process turned upside-down. Both Sony and Microsoft are alienating these consumers and are losing out to Nintendo, with their one and only Wii.

And I still contend that the iPod analogy doesn't hold any water, as every single kind of iPod is on display at major retailers for you to see the difference for yourself. You could go up to a last-gen Nano IN STORE and say "whoops, no video like I thought." Not quite the case with different Xbox and PS3 SKUs.

So with only two models on the market, I fail to see where this article is getting this "mass consumer confusion" idea from.
    Only two are being produced now, but they're on they're fourth SKU in less than a year. They discontinued one within weeks of the console's initial release. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

[reveal][/reveal]

Dedicated Member
    wat about the 360, they have 360 core, pro, arcade adn elite, thats 4. And the PS3 has 4, so then why pick on the 360

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by fiero911 View Post
    wat about the 360, they have 360 core, pro, arcade adn elite, thats 4. And the PS3 has 4, so then why pick on the 360
    Technically, according to Sony North America, there are only two, the 40GB and the 80GB. The 60GB has been phased out, although some stock still remains on store shelves.

So with only two models on the market, I fail to see where this article is getting this "mass consumer confusion" idea from.

Thread Information