Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914

Is The PS3 Really Selling That Well?

see now I understand the thread 'so many haters' http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=110972 if this does not prove it...i really do not know what is...using amazon as the main source was pathetic...since when on black friday people choose online over stores (when you can get it right there and then) oh...the ****...

http://www.ripten.com/2007/11/27/is-...-selling-well/

We have seen reports from Japan and Europe showing that Playstation 3 sales are up, even thrashing the Wii in Japan three weeks running. Yesterday saw Sony boast a 300% sales increase in America since the beginning of November. But are things really that rosy for the Japanese giant?
    Most signs point to a Playstation 3 recovery after a price cut and a solid advertisement campaign. Moreover, the all important quality titles are starting to hit, from Ratchet and Clank to Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. Even Assassin’s Creed ads only sport the Playstation 3 logo, showing Sony has got something right at last.
    Yet there are other signs to suggest that perhaps this increase in sales is not as large as we and Sony think it is. We know Sony is very good at getting enough stock to retailers, but Playstation 3’s are in abundance after Black Friday. That needn’t be of too much significance though, since the hard to find Wii is severely understocked, and Sony can take advantage of the hungry buyers who can’t get hold of Nintendo’s offering.

Nevertheless, a 300% increase in the US may not be that much if both the Wii and the Xbox360 saw similar gains during the holidays. Just a little look at Amazon.com’s best sellers list we can find the Xbox360 at Number 12, the Wii at Number 24 and the Playstation 3 all the way down at place 44.

The Playstation 3’s price cut and new 40GB model also saw big gains in the United Kingdom, with the console being in the top 10 of Amazon.co.uk’s best sellers list week after week. However, looking at this list now, sees the Wii at an impressive Number 5, the Xbox360 at a respectable 19, the Playstation 2 at a surprising Number 29 and the Playstation 3 at the shocking Number 71.
    Looking at Amazon charts of course does not necessarily reflect on the reality of things, but it can hint at an underlying trend. Take it all with a pinch of salt, but the Playstation 3 has rarely been at those extreme lows on Amazon. It could of course be a sign that people are out shopping for Christmas, rather than shopping online, but then you’d expect that to be the same for competing consoles.
    So what are we asking here? Of course more evidence is needed. But is the increase in Playstation 3 sales really that impressive if the competing consoles have always increased in sales. Furthermore, could the increase be a short lived side effect after the price cut? Online sales suggest this, but more official numbers for each of the three consoles will be needed to discover the real story.
    To lighten the mood, there is a second-hand Playstation 3 on sale at Amazon.co.uk for only £200! The catch can be seen in this comment: “Has been kicked a few times!!! Don’t think it’s working anymore.” Haha, O.K.
    How is the Playstation 3 really doing?

sofaking13
    Yeah I have to agree with what your saying, using Amazon sales is not the best way to gauge how well something is doing, although it can be an indication it is in no way a solid point.

BIG DADDY
    In the Kansas City area, at local Walmarts at least; on Friday by late morning they were out of all PS3's. Due to that 10 extra bluray deal. Other retailers had extra controller or game deals too. I wouldn't be suprised to see one helluva sales spike for November when all the numbers are in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to SteelSamurai for the sig & avatar!
    320 GB PS3, Wii, 360 Elite & Mistsubishi 65" DLP 1080P
    "I never eat before a mission. Slows you down. I gotta be light on my feet like a dancer. Like a f-ing ninja!"

Horcoff
    I still don't understand why some sites says the PS3 has outsold the Wii three weeks in a row in Japan, when it is infact only two weeks.

forzanerazzurri
    All the ps3sw are sold out up here (canada). I was in a walmart on Monday and there was a huge gap where the ps3s used to be lol.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by Horcoff View Post
    I still don't understand why some sites says the PS3 has outsold the Wii three weeks in a row in Japan, when it is infact only two weeks.
    thats becasue the nubers of the week might have been leaked already...they just do not officially come out until thursday...

Apprentice
    Hopefully this will shut up all those PS3 doom & gloomers.

Price drop.

Titles.

Time.

That's all they needed.

The Heisman
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't think this is an example of hating.

Shoot... people here were giddy back in July after the sales jumped after the first price drop and the PS3 still got outsold by everyone else.

Shortly after that... sales were back down to 120k per month. While the competition's numbers sky-rocketed.
    Increased sales are expected this time of year.

Time will tell if Sony really has done something special.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Guru
    I know 3 people that picked up a ps3 in the last week or so--and out of curiosity on Monday, I walked back to check on the gaming section at my local Meijer yesterday and they were sold out of 40 & 80 GB ps3's. Completely...however, they did have plenty of psp's left (probably 15 or so).

And I'm from the Midwest, a huge anti-sony area...so I was impressed.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by sofaking13 View Post
    Yeah I have to agree with what your saying, using Amazon sales is not the best way to gauge how well something is doing, although it can be an indication it is in no way a solid point.
    Thats why I didn't care too much when people were cheering at seeing the sales increase at amazon. Its not the most accurate way to see the market. From my workings at a big retailer in their electronics section the PS3s are selling just as well as the 360 and I am seeing the average consumer picking them up far more than ever before.

That is a great sign but like some have said we have to wait and see.
    Currently Playing: LittleBigPlanet.... support creativity, get LBP!

Superior Member
    Because a different unofficial source releases numbers a few days after the official numbers. It is for the same time frame but people just get confused
    Tiocfaidh įr lį

Apprentice

I think Sony deserves to sell more. With all this hard work they are putting in to getting their console back up there with the other ones, they deserve a sale raise.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    I don't think this is an example of hating.

Shoot... people here were giddy back in July after the sales jumped after the first price drop and the PS3 still got outsold by everyone else.

Shortly after that... sales were back down to 120k per month. While the competition's numbers sky-rocketed.
    Increased sales are expected this time of year.

Time will tell if Sony really has done something special.
    but you and i both know...matter of fact we all know why their were increased sales... even though I don't like saying this, because i am going to get flamed...i still beleive ms is counting replacements as sales...but this is still hate because it is taking a sony report and twisting the facts because Amazon.com does not match their in-store sales...

The Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    but you and i both know...matter of fact we all know why their were increased sales... even though I don't like saying this, because i am going to get flamed...i still beleive ms is counting replacements as sales...but this is still hate because it is taking a sony report and twisting the facts because Amazon.com does not match their in-store sales...
    i guess I don't follow you.
    Are you saying MS increased sales this fall (going from about 160k to 200-500k per month) is due to them counting replacements sales???

Naw... I'm pretty sure that's illegal. And pretty easy to uncover if some kind of authoritative body looked into it.

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Mortel View Post
    I think Sony deserves to sell more. With all this hard work they are putting in to getting their console back up there with the other ones, they deserve a sale raise.
    I really don't understand this hyper brand loyalty, where people say weird stuff like this. Sony got a small boost in sales, good for them. Why celebrate an acquisition of money, which you won't receive or even see for yourself?

They don't deserve ****, neither does MS or Nintendo. All of them are LUCKY and should be grateful for the consumers for buying their merchandise.

Xbox 360 Pro (120 GB) - PlayStation 3 (60 GB) - Nintendo Wii
    大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズX

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    i guess I don't follow you.
    Are you saying MS increased sales this fall (going from about 160k to 200-500k per month) is due to them counting replacements sales???

Naw... I'm pretty sure that's illegal. And pretty easy to uncover if some kind of authoritative body looked into it.
    see that is why i did not want to say it...their sales increase was not due to replacements...it was due to halo 3...what i don't understand is that people think the sales are normal because h3 arrives...when in actualality the 360 has been averaging about 200-250,000 a month in NA before h3...and post h3 their numbers are higher...this is suppose to be expected...but in those numbers...how many are replaced by ms...not refurbs...new machines...sending a broken machine to bb, cc, walmart or so forth does not effect the sales pattern because it is the stores inventory...but again how many are sent to ms that are replaced...this is somthing ms won't answer...and don't get me wrong...because sony and nintendo has and most likley still does this also...the only reason why it is more evident that ms does this...is because of its higher fail rate...even though you might think that this is illegal...which you are right...i am sure thse companies...found a loop hole...

Dedicated Member
    u cant base any predictions on one website,if u do then.....
    uigikkm

Apprentice
    My father in-law is gonna buy one primarily for the Blu-Ray capability, because he just bought a 1080P HDTV. He's no gamer by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he'll enjoy using it as a media center. Besides, when I come over to visit, I'm bringin' my axe and GHIII!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrow880 View Post
    I know 3 people that picked up a ps3 in the last week or so--and out of curiosity on Monday, I walked back to check on the gaming section at my local Meijer yesterday and they were sold out of 40 & 80 GB ps3's. Completely...however, they did have plenty of psp's left (probably 15 or so).

I am in Montana and I routinely see near empty or completely empty PS3 shelves, though I dont know who is buying them because I still dont have any local friends with one. Iwas in F@H the other night and I was the only one in the entire state of Montana running it..

Time is all they need. Sales will increase as the price drops and the games come out.

Toaddio
    Why on earth would you bring this point up in this thread unless you're trying to start a flame war?

captainwangy
    Ps3 will probably at least come in second this month and outsell the 360.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    ManaKnight
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrow880 View Post

The Meijer in my area (on the opposite side as town as you) still has the same PS3 platforms sitting there. Luckily, most other stores seemed to have sold out (like Wal-Mart).

I agree about the mid-west though.

Remember how before PS3 topped Amazon, and it didn't outsell 360 and Wii (this was during the first pricecut)? That's some evidence Amazon does not determine sales trends at all IMO.
    Go Bulls! | Go White Sox!

forzanerazzurri
    Quote Originally Posted by PXG S3 View Post
    I really don't understand this hyper brand loyalty, where people say weird stuff like this. Sony got a small boost in sales, good for them. Why celebrate an acquisition of money, which you won't receive or even see for yourself?

They don't deserve ****, neither does MS or Nintendo. All of them are LUCKY and should be grateful for the consumers for buying their merchandise.
    You dont really understand how the market works do you? According to you logic, they should all be in the red, giving away free hardware right? All the guy said was that Sony has put the most work into their console, is working hard to sell it and should be rewarded. Their not in business for YOU to make money, because you dont do any of the work, they do. Dont act so childish and spoiled.

Ultimate Veteran
    yes PS3 sales are up all over the world.. this will be a good hoilday for the PS3...

sofaking13
    Quote Originally Posted by PXG S3 View Post

You just love to talk **** don't you? lol, I guess it's wrong for people to get hyped up about stuff....geeze, do you talk **** to people rooting for their sports team? Sure what the **** do they get out of it....I guess that is a valid point....but people have things that they get hyped up, it works like that for nearly all things, not just video games....you just love putting people down eh?

Thread Information