Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage

Smile Mass Effect Hits 1 Million in less than 3 weeks!

Microsoft has confirmed to GameDaily BIZ that BioWare's critically acclaimed RPG is off to a red hot start with one million copies sold in less than three weeks.

Posted by James Brightman on Monday, December 10, 2007

In a special Ad Watch column on the Xbox 360 marketing strategy this holiday season, Jeff Bell, Corporate Vice President of Global Marketing for the Xbox 360, has revealed to GameDaily BIZ that sales for BioWare's blockbuster role-playing game Mass Effect are better than perhaps many industry watchers were expecting.
    Prediction market the simExchange pegged Mass Effect at around 328,000 units for November (the title released on Nov. 20). That said, in less than three weeks on the market, the game has more than tripled the predicted November total. "We've... seen a strong response to both Halo 3 sales with more than 5 million, and Mass Effect which has sold more than a million copies in less than three weeks," noted Bell, highlighting consumers' reaction to Microsoft's holiday push.
    Bell did not specify whether the one million figure is a global data point or for the U.S. only (Update: it's a worldwide sales total). Nevertheless, one million sold in under three weeks is a fantastic start and yet another reason for Microsoft to do everything in their power to keep the franchise exclusive to Xbox 360.
    While Microsoft holds the exclusive publishing rights to the first Mass Effect, Electronic Arts' purchase of BioWare/Pandemic means that EA now holds the rights to the valuable IP. Microsoft has said multiple times since the acquisition that "we'll be talking to EA and BioWare in the weeks to come." Whether or not an exclusivity deal can be reached is anybody's guess, but with one million sold already Microsoft just got more incentive.

Very well deserved, it's truly one of the games that defined and diferentiated the console from the competition.

I really hope those affirmations in EMG about Microsoft publishing the sequels are true. They have plenty of reasons to secure this jewel.

:arrow Source
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Super Elite
    Lol i was reading last night people saying it bombed, ignorance is bliss though. Can't wait for Xmas day for this baby.

Master Guru
    Awesome news. Story telling like this deserves to do this well.

Brian

Master Poster
    good news, this games deserves it,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Elite
    Good news for the 360 corporation. While Ive seen the game and I feel it's WAY to heavy dialog for me I like to play my games not read them, but I digress It shows that marketing works...

Apprentice
    I'm glad! This game deserves every sale it gets. I love games with great story lines. Hopefully more games will start to have really good stories, and not just slack off.

Dedicated Member
    I love this game, i'm taking the day off tomorrow to play it

Apprentice
    Wow,impressive

I can't wait to play this game next year when I get my new Xbox 360

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfdad View Post
    Good news for the 360 corporation. While Ive seen the game and I feel it's WAY to heavy dialog for me I like to play my games not read them, but I digress It shows that marketing works...
    Actually, it was the player's experiences which sold the game. It had a quite slow start probably because the mass didn't really feel ready for a game with heavy dialogue and long learning curve. However, sales boosted as the internet exploded with people loving this game. I have personally convinced quite a few people to get it, and they don't regret it.
    Yup I'm Back. If you wonder, read this. =)
    "Fake Effects"? Read This. Move on. I'm not interested. Thank you

Veteran
    Really impressive considering you gotta like RPG's or be a sci-fi nerd to buy it.
    Forza 5, Fifa 14, Battlefield 4 & Watchdogs - The Perfect Launch Line Up!

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquanox View Post
    Actually, it was the player's experiences which sold the game. It had a quite slow start probably because people didn't really feel ready for a game with heavy dialogue. However, sales boosted as the internet exploded with people loving this game. I have personally convinced quite a few people to get the game, and they don't regret it.
    You might be right, I just personally do not have the time anymore for heavy story driven experiences. My prefrence anymore seems to be 10-16 hours max. I like Sports, and action titles, and FPS from what I saw the game looks good but seemed very dialog driven more than KOTOR for me and that was hard for me to get into as well.. Maybe my A.D.D

arthur56k
    opinion, and you are entitled to one

You might be right, I just personally do not have the time anymore for heavy story driven experiences. My prefrence anymore seems to be 10-16 hours max. I like Sports, and action titles, and FPS from what I saw the game looks good but seemed very dialog driven more than KOTOR for me and that was hard for me to get into as well.. Maybe my A.D.D
    thought it is 15-20 hours, that will depend on whether you play side missions and however fast you are.
    plus its third person shooter with heavy RPG elements

I am a big fan of Bioware. I am pining to get a XBox just to play this game but I have a PS3 already so until the remake this game for the PS I am stumped. Maybe, I have to get a 360 which would also open up Halo,Gears of War,Lost Planet and Mass Effect.

Forum Elder
    Awesome. MS should definitely secure this gem. It would be a huge face with the Xbox brand.

VERSA'S MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES OF 2008
    GTA IV DLC - Little Big Planet- Gears of War 2 - Too Human - Fable 2

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by UkHardcore View Post
    Really impressive considering you gotta like RPG's or be a sci-fi nerd to buy it.
    lol, I'm sure there's enough of them about -- just look at World of Warcraft

It's all lost on me, but hey -- I'm not going to spoil their "fun".

Thread Information