Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    Se7enwolf

Think Crysis could run on the PS3?

I read on one of the articles I believe from Kotaku that Crysis has yet to be run to its fullest graphical potential on any computer even with two of the highest standard graphics cards being used so do you think Crysis can run at its fullness on the PS3? or even at all?

if so, think we'll see games that look better then Crysis at some point on the PS3?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Se7enwolf View Post
    I read on one of the articles I believe from Kotaku that Crysis has yet to be run to its fullest graphical potential on any computer even with two of the highest standard graphics cards being used so do you think Crysis can run at its fullness on the PS3? or even at all?

if so, think we'll see games that look better then Crysis at some point on the PS3?
    well, they did a good job optimizing.

Apprentice
    well if the ps3 can play uncharted then it can run that no prob i think

Elite Sage
    Items User name style
    Yes, it could run it no problem. If they optimized it to use everything(mostly everything) the PS3 has then I don't see why not.

We'll most likely see better looking games then Crysis in a couple years from the PS3. But of course PC graphics will always be better in the end.
    Alive and well, running my own business and having fun. Visit it below;
    Letterpress Invitations and Stationary

Quote Originally Posted by jordan_______k View Post
    well if the ps3 can play uncharted then it can run that no prob i think
    lawl

it comes down to ram for crysis even if you have 2 gig, they recommend 4. ps3, 256 for cpu, 256 for gpu, a total of 512, bit short of the recommended.

it's also obvious you havn't seen or played crysis, while uncharted looks unbelievably fantastic, there is not a whole lot going on in comparison to crysis.

Is uncharted a better game, yeah but crysis really is a technical feat, just a little hollow cuz it's a tech feat.

Apprentice
    Yeah, but that recommended RAM is PC RAM, which is MUCH different than console RAM. We all know that!
    PSN Handle: Demonicus1
    Games owned: UT3, Assassin's Creed, GTA 4 (SOON), MGS 4 (SOON)
    Calling All Cars, Super Stardust HD
    GRAVEYARD: NFS: Carbon, Tony Hawk's Project 8

Superior Member

anyone that said crysis can run on an console(360 or ps3) is out of his mind.

you need 2gb of ram
    2 Geforce 8800 ultras cant handle it smooth? how will a console run this? 2fps?

sure they can make a dumbed version of crysis specially for consoles just like the farcry that came out for xbox years ago but was never like the pc version.

this is the type of game that its made thinking specially on PC.

Forum Guru
    It probably can with graphical sacrifices. Comparing to Uncharted is very VERY flawed.

Grifer
    No. Crysis will not run on PS3 in its full glory. I dont believe that Killzone 2 which has mega budget and still is delayed will be as pretty as Crysis and that is a good indicator.

I'm a real boy!
    It's possible, maybe even at the same level it runs now.

However, now one it's never going to happen. The game would basically need to be rebuilt from the ground up to gain that level of graphics.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifer View Post
    No. Crysis will not run on PS3 in its full glory. I dont believe that Killzone 2 which has mega budget and still is delayed will be as pretty as Crysis and that is a good indicator.
    being delayed had nothing to do with Killzone's visuals. the game looked amazing and ran perfectly smooth, they just needed to the the rest of the game working well, like ANY game, graphically astounding or not.

Crysis could run on the PS3 with heavy optimization (Crytek has been working on a PS3 engine for some time) just not at maximum settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman228 View Post
    nintendo games make me want to punch babies.

Se7enwolf
    the head of the graphic artist deportment that made the game said it could be done on the PS3 but he doesn't know if they would have to make any sacrifices but did say it would need to be reworked alot to get the most out of it.

Dedicated Member
    I do believe that Crysis can be ran on PS3 with medium low to medium graphics. Anything ran CPU wise can deffinitly be ran on PS3 just the graphics are going to be dumbed down 30% guestimated. They have to work with 9.0 rather than 10X which isnt a big difference. Just comes down to raw power. RSX=gf7800 Crysis 7950 to 8800 a bit of difference unless they wanted to have the Cell processor help for once in the graphics department thats were there quote about "A lot of work must be done" With the Cell i think they can run Crysis pretty close to full PC specs. Just my logic on the subject.

If anyone can make a game look pretty on PS3 trust Crytek to make a Beautiful game in comparison.

Master Poster
    I believe it could run it but a few things would have to be changed in order for it to run with the full potential of the PC Version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    40GB PS3 Owner - 32" Hisense LCD 1080P - 1 DS3 - 2 Sixaxis
    Games Owned: Fifa 08, Uncharted, GTA:IV, COD 4, PGA Tour 2008, Haze, Battlefield: Bad Company, COD:W@W, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    i think crysis can run on ps3 and maybe the 360. Just that some changes would have to be made in the programming.

Superior Member
    i started whriting a post thinking it would be possible, but upon actually investigating the situation i have come to the realisation that there is no way it will ever happen. even if the quality was taken down a few notches. let me explain:

pc gamers have a much keener eye for certain things like anti aliasing, anisotropic filtering, mip map quality, etc. even stuff that console gamers think is great like 720p/60 would really be roughing it for pc gamers.

so lets just say we take out all of those things that the average console gamer wouldnt notice. no anti aliasing, no anisotropic filtering, resolution of only 720p at a constant 30 fps.

there are some things that console gamers do recognize, such as texture quality, hdr lighting (even if they don't know what its called), and object complexity. removing any of these items would change the whole look and feel of the game considerably, and wouldnt be worth it.

so, lets take a look at this performance test of crysis

http://www.pclabs.gen.tr/2007/10/29/...k-with-8800gt/

they use a computer with a 3.2ghz core two duo and 2Gb of ram. if you look at the screenshots on this page, high quality is what console gamers would find acceptable. medium quality lacks hdr lighting, has lower texture quality, etc.

to give you an idea of a comparable graphics card to the ps3 you have to go to their section of mid-range cards and look at the very last one on the list. the ps3 has the equivalent of about an 7800, and they use a 7900; close enough for comparison. even so guess how many fps they get?:

7900 medium: 14
    7900 high: 8

this is on a system with (at least) 4 times as much ram as the ps3.
    not even with perfect optimization of the engine specifically for the cell architecture could you turn 8fps into a stable 30fps, especially with 1/4 the ram.

there is no f--king way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS3 60 GB (ugraded to 320 GB) - December 2006
    PSP Slim (m33 custom firmware) - August 2008
    Xbox 360 60 GB - November 2008
    Currently playing: Fallout 3 (Xbox 360), Left 4 Dead

Se7enwolf
    I thought this past year people was saying the RSX was better then the 7900

Apprentice
    I believe it can run on PS3 it just needs to be heavily optimized and make good use of the CELL to make up for the lost RAM

Mod In Training
    there would have to be some modifications to the game bit If they tried hard enough it would be possible.
    PS3 Forums Staff X100000000000

Dedicated Member
    Depends on how they utilize the FULL system though because the Graphics memory is a lot different than what they are using. GDDR3 and XDR memory is a lot different than DDR2. I dont know waybe we should let the Crytek programmers figure it out.

C.T.E.
    You're all talking this and that when it's RAM that will be the problem for Crysis and consoles. Both of them don't have nearly enough RAM to suffice.

That's clearly the work around here.

Dedicated Member
    I don't know about Crysis itself but I think we will see games on the PS3 at that level. Naughty Dog admitted themselves that with Uncharted they've only tapped into 1/3 of the PS3's power so there is still more to come.

Mod In Training
    keep in mind this is an EA game
    so it would run below 720p at 10-30 fps and it would not look that great because it would be a port
    PS3 Forums Staff X100000000000

Superior Member
    no matter how much you optimize the engine for the cell, the bottleneck will still be the ram. the ps3 isnt infinitely powerfull, it has its limits, and everyone is just throwing the word "optimize" around thinking that "optimization" is some kind of magic process that can turn lead into gold.

can crysis be ported to the ps3? sure. it could also be ported to the n64. in either case significant changes would have to be made and you will get a game that looks and performs nothing like the original, no matter how much "optimization" takes place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PS3 60 GB (ugraded to 320 GB) - December 2006
    PSP Slim (m33 custom firmware) - August 2008
    Xbox 360 60 GB - November 2008
    Currently playing: Fallout 3 (Xbox 360), Left 4 Dead

IRONMAIDEN
    it seriously doesnt look much better than uncharted. just another farcry ripoff. should be able to no problemo

Thread Information