Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Elite

Laser/components wearing out?

I've heard all these horror stories about after continued use (a long period of time), the components of the PS3 (especially the laser) will begin to wear and eventually give out altogether?

I realize this isn't a big problem for most people but with average use, how many years do you think a console would last before anything would happen? I've saw several people on the forums say they don't use their consoles to play DVDs when they can get a cheap DVD player because it'll wear out the console quicker.
    PlayStation 3 60 GB owner

Apprentice
    i havent heard anything like that. but lets pretend it only lasts 4-7 years. for 500 bucks investment thats not bad. by the time its wearing out the PS4 will get on store shelves.

who knows, but I'm pissed off cause my 3rd freakin' ps3 just crapped out on me....this is ridiculous.....I think sony has it in for me or I just have terrible luck with this brick monster

Apprentice
    youre on your third ps3? does sony help you out with that or what? dont tell me youre in 1500 bucks on this console

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by mpzreb17 View Post
    youre on your third ps3? does sony help you out with that or what? dont tell me youre in 1500 bucks on this console
    I'd imagine he means third replacement, not third time purchasing.

Apprentice
    Your either an X-bot trying to s*** talk on the PS3, since you called it a brick monster, or on the other hand you don't know how to use it. I doubt that it's failed on you so many times.

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    well i know the PS2 laser would burn out after many years of palying.
    but i would not worry about the the PS3 laser. it will last u over 4 years i would say

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZLN1 View Post
    who knows, but I'm pissed off cause my 3rd freakin' ps3 just crapped out on me....this is ridiculous.....I think sony has it in for me or I just have terrible luck with this brick monster
    Wow,you have REALLY bad luck man,the thing Sony boasts about the most,IS ps3's stability,i feel for ya.

Elite Guru
    No...

Just no. This is just simply not true.

CD players made in 1985 can still function perfectly today with continued use.

I don't get how people can go through 3 Playstation 3 consoles. And you'll hear all the "I take care of my stuff" But I simply do not believe a word of that.

I had a launch PS1, Launch PS2 and a Launch PS3 - none of themhave malfunctioned.

Also people talking about not using their console as a DVD player owing to it wearing out quicker are full of ****e.

The_Pope
    You could be a troll cuz your only done 8 posts. So untill you prove otherwise LIES LIES LIES LIES LIES!!!

BIG DADDY

Nice try there bud. We'd believe you if you said your 360 crapped out 3 times. Go troll elsewhere please.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to SteelSamurai for the sig & avatar!
    320 GB PS3, Wii, 360 Elite & Mistsubishi 65" DLP 1080P
    "I never eat before a mission. Slows you down. I gotta be light on my feet like a dancer. Like a f-ing ninja!"

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    No...

Just no. This is just simply not true.

CD players made in 1985 can still function perfectly today with continued use.

I don't get how people can go through 3 Playstation 3 consoles. And you'll hear all the "I take care of my stuff" But I simply do not believe a word of that.

I had a launch PS1, Launch PS2 and a Launch PS3 - none of themhave malfunctioned.

Also people talking about not using their console as a DVD player owing to it wearing out quicker are full of ****e.
    I'm debating how to repond to this. I think I'll take the high road and be nice.

I went through 3 PS1s and 3 PS2s. They never got moved only opened up to put games in. I also used the cd that cleans the laser. They were used extensively. It got to a point on the PS1 where I had to stand it on its side leaning over almost upside down for it to read a disc.

Over time is the laser starts to get off track. In other words farther away from the disc. You could open up the whole system and adjust it but most people wont.

Please explain to me how I could go about avoiding that?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder911 View Post
    I'm debating how to repond to this. I think I'll take the high road and be nice.

I went through 3 PS1s and 3 PS2s. They never got moved only opened up to put games in. I also used the cd that cleans the laser. They were used extensively. It got to a point on the PS1 where I had to stand it on its side leaning over almost upside down for it to read a disc.

Over time is the laser starts to get off track. In other words farther away from the disc. You could open up the whole system and adjust it but most people wont.

Please explain to me how I could go about avoiding that?
    Seriously - and I am really serious here when I say

That's really bad luck or mistreatment of your consoles. Just because you don't move it after setup doesn't stop you from introducing excessive heat/smoke/condensation/dust/constrained space/not cleaning/generally looking after.

3 of each console does not sound like bad luck to me - just bad treatment.

Like I said - PS1, PS2, PS3 - One of each - used all the time. No faults.

Ever

Apprentice

Seriously - and I am really serious here when I say

That's really bad luck or mistreatment of your consoles. Just because you don't move it after setup doesn't stop you from introducing excessive heat/smoke/condensation/dust/constrained space/not cleaning/generally looking after.

3 of each console does not sound like bad luck to me - just bad treatment.

Like I said - PS1, PS2, PS3 - One of each - used all the time. No faults.

Ever
    Well that's just luck on your part. All my consoles have always been in open areas, I don't smoke, have a humidifier so no condensation, dust yes but I would vacuum around the vents and used the cd to clean the laser.

Everyone of my consoles had the exact same problem and it was always the laser.

Read this http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm
    I'm not the only one who has had problems.

I fixed the 3rd PS2 by using this info from that site.
    Adjusting Lens angle (Part 1) - On V1-V4 playstation laser assemblies there is a visible white cog (pictured below) that enables you to adjust the angle or height of the sled as the lens moves to the outer edge of the disk. This adjustment is also known as the Radial Skew. As the laser gets old or worn - it may help to adjust this to bring the lens closer to the disk. V5 to V10 lasers also have the cogs, but they are not as obvious.

silentmemory
    That's really bad luck or mistreatment of your consoles.
    You're wrong, the PS2 was infamous for laser problems, there was at least one class action law suit against them for it. Supposedly DVDs were hard on the mechanism, but as with all things mechanical they will all fail eventually, and arguably those used most will fail first.

That said, it's unlikely anyone has had a PS3 wear out on them yet, though I personally would use a cheaper player if I just wanted to watch a DVD and it was convenient to do so.

Elite Guru
    Yeah, my 1st PS2 had a laser issue.
    It was actually the rail that held the laser & which was moved by cogs that was the issue. The teeth on this runner wore out & prevented the laser from moving to its full extent & was unable to read the discs.

IMHO, this rumour stems from those laser issues. As of yet, there has been no mention of BR problems.
    So I think you should ignore it. Its more than likely just a case of fear mongering.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video games dont Affect Kids.
    If Pacman had affected us as Kids,
    We'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching Magic pills
    and Listening to repetitive, Electronic music

Forum Sage
    I wouldn't worry about it. People say it because DVD's spin faster then blu-rays so some people are tempted to say that this will cause the system to wear out faster. I don't believe it.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to give my country."-CPT Hale
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell

Super Elite
    The only crappy drive I had was on a launch PS2. It was one of the ones Sony outsourced manufacturing for that gave DRE's (Disc Read Errors) on certain discs. Well I never had problems with it until some of the mainstream DVD titles started coming out. So I sold it and bought a year and a half newer Non-DRE, completely made by Sony PS2 and it still works to this day. My PS1 (old 9000 series gray brick model) also still works to this day.
    Like my post? Show your support accordingly.

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Karate master, and Microsoft is still not black belt." - Ken Kutaragi on XBL

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by silentmemory View Post
    You're wrong, the PS2 was infamous for laser problems, there was at least one class action law suit against them for it. Supposedly DVDs were hard on the mechanism, but as with all things mechanical they will all fail eventually, and arguably those used most will fail first.

That said, it's unlikely anyone has had a PS3 wear out on them yet, though I personally would use a cheaper player if I just wanted to watch a DVD and it was convenient to do so.
    Yeah i had a PS2 slim and watched dvd's on it all the time and one night got drunk and forgot to turn it off and in the morning it would not read any disc so i looked at it and the laser was completely melted it was like someone held a lighter to the lens it was a glob of plastic. i know you can buy new laser replacements from Ebay (anyone have any luck with these are they good quality?) but i just went out an got a new ps2 since they were only 130$ and figured i would keep the other if i ever decided to fix it and just use it as a spare dvd player. so i now have 3 PS2's one in my truck one sitting beside my PS3 (use it for guitar hero only) and a broken one. i only blame myself since i watched a bunch of burned movies and i think that is a lot harder on the laser since it has to use more power to focus better esp if it is scratched. the PS3 has been flawless aside from a couple freeze ups. and now with the Divx fix i can rip all my movies onto a 1TB external HDD (when i get it 300$ is not a bad price) and never ware out the laser from DVD's.. i will still use disc's for Blu-Ray and games but that is about it.
    George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Einstein
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Super Elite

I've never really had any problems with my PS2 from (2003?) either. I just seem to be way too over-protective of my PS3 because of my experiences with my XBOX 360 >.>

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by cOwpander View Post
    Your either an X-bot trying to s*** talk on the PS3, since you called it a brick monster, or on the other hand you don't know how to use it. I doubt that it's failed on you so many times.
    Careful on using the X... word you used there. I was banned for a day for using it without warning and without even knowing it would ban you. I also used it not directed to any particular person.

Just giving you the heads up.
    Currently Playing: LittleBigPlanet.... support creativity, get LBP!

My PS1 and PS2 still run strong, I would say the laser and stuff is the least of your worries. Its usually a power supply or something small that gives out.

Take care of it and you will have it for years.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    My PS1 and PS2 still run strong, I would say the laser and stuff is the least of your worries. Its usually a power supply or something small that gives out.

Take care of it and you will have it for years.
    Thats the big thing, I can see any component wearing out if its taken care of as poorly as that guy that returned the PS3 with dust caked all over it.
    Currently Playing: LittleBigPlanet.... support creativity, get LBP!

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by TidusX View Post
    Thats the big thing, I can see any component wearing out if its taken care of as poorly as that guy that returned the PS3 with dust caked all over it.
    Other than keeping it clean and keeping the area clean, there's not much you can do to prevent dust though.

Apprentice
    Thats why we have warrantyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Thread Information