• Visable

6 23.08%
  • Invisable

20 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

aussiedude

Well while we're waiting!

While we wait for new PS3 info instead of wasting this time how about we try and make use of it, it's clear as day that we have some really smart people here so why don't we try and take advantage of that?

I'll go first, is a Blackhole visable or invisable? Think long and hard before you answer...

Master Poster
    Even light gets sucked in a blackhole, so i guess you can't see it. Perhaps thats why they call it a black-hole.

aussiedude
    Quote Originally Posted by wotter
    Even light gets sucked in a blackhole, so i guess you can't see it. Perhaps thats why they call it a black-hole.
    Visable is to see something when light is reflected off it, invisable is to be able to see right though something, a blackhole can be neither seen or seen though, but it does have to be something so what is it?

Master Poster
    Its neither and both and the same time.

You cant see a black hole beyond its event horizon because the force is so great that it pulls in all known-types of matter and energy.
    But it isnt invisible because its made out of super-dense matter.
    So its somewhere inbetween...

I declare a new word, vinisible! (searches to see if it is a word)
    Haha, not a word, but Google suggested searching "Invisible" instead, see, even Google get me!

edit: oh crap i never put the definition
    Vinisible: And object or thing that is opaque but never seen.
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Forum Elder
    Its visable because all around it there is light, but it stops as soon as it hits the event horizon. So you can tell if they are there, even if you can't actually "see" them.
    EssEmmSee

Selling 20gig PS3 Icon.

Master Poster
    Yeh but thats not really the actual black hole, which i thinks a pretty lame term for it anyway since its not even a hole lol

You only see the effect of that, you dont really see 'it'
    I have no signature.
    No, really, i don't. You're just imagining this.

Elite Member

Yeah, you see things orbiting it, but you'll see things orbiting nothing, so you'll be a bit confused, if ya know what i mean

| R:FOM | Motorstorm | Warhawk | Assassin's Creed | COD 4 | Burnout Paradise | GT5:P | GTA IV | MGS4 | LBP | Midnight Club: LA |

Dedicated Member
    It's possible to find traces of a black hole (bending light, strange gravatonic pulls, centers of galaxies), but if I were to take a telescope and point it anywhere in the sky looking for black holes It'd be pretty difficult to spot.

Invisible.
    All praises to the Playstation!
    -Samuel L. Jackson

PS3 Trophies

Apprentice

Non-scientifically put, you can only see black holes because of the lack of stars and other astronomical bodies behind them. So you know where they are, but you can't truly "see them".

Invisible.
    "I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side."

Elite Member
    Ill say that black holes are visible.

At the event horizen of a black hole, all matter is condensed into a singularity, caused by a gravitational field so strong that not even light can escape back out of it.

Around the event horizen is where space gets distorted light moves & gets bent as it gets drawn into the hole.

From a great distance you can see the event horizen because you can see the bending light around it.

You wouldn't be able to see it though if you were within the gravitational pull though.

Elite Guru

Well thats pretty simple, even though its not visible to the naked eye you still see everything in the general area getting sucked into the Black-Hole, making it somewhat visible.

Invisible in some respects, but visible because well ... its the only thing within a light year radius that seems to have everything drawn to its center
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Apprentice

This all really depends on what you define "visible" as.
    "I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side."

Elite Member
    Here is my question though,

The universe is infinantly large, scientists have worked out that everything in the universe is moving away from each other, which indicates that the universe is expanding.

So if the universe is infinatly large, but its expanding, what is it expanding into?

Elite Guru

Empty space. Space is just a massive three dimensional field of nothingness with no end.

Of course, until we can actually spend a billion years flying in a single direction we'll never know if space has an end. Perhaps space is actually a circle? Where you'll end up on the other side if you go too far. Who knows, noone will ever know. The expansion is the proof if the Big Bang though, the creation event.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

angelsky
    I find it hard to believe that all that nothingness had no begining , i mean everything has and end and a begining , doesn't it , man this puny little planet is meaningless compare to the complexity of the Universe.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsky
    I find it hard to believe that all that nothingness had no begining , i mean everything has and end and a begining , doesn't it , man this puny little planet is meaningless compare to the complexity of the Universe.
    I think you've got it in one!
    EssEmmSee

Selling 20gig PS3 Icon.

Apprentice
    its invisible its black...(blackhole) and its in space which is black so its like throwing a blue rock in the water its invisible till you step on it and bleed every were :/

Dedicated Member
    I have a question. Has anyone ever witnessed a blackhole? How do they know that it's there. Aren't they supposed to suck EVERYTHING up? And where does a Blackhole lead to? Man, Blackholes are mysterious things.....

Legalize

Tribunal
    In all actuallity, this is a general post topic.
    But Blackholes, are invisible, they give off no light. But at the same time we can spot them because, you guessed it, there is nothing (light included) in the area, so in a way we can see them.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Solanky
    And where does a Blackhole lead to? Man, Blackholes are mysterious things.....
    My own theory alert: Well, it has an extremely strong gravitational pull so when it sucks it in, it's a hole, so it shoots it out the other side. I'm guessing, either that or it just builds up until it gets big enough to form a brand new star. Because you know how a blackhole starts right, after the death of an old star.

But I chose Invisible, because you can't see it. If you see it, you'll be pulled in its gravitational pull.

I don't really think you can see light being bent. It might just stop there in mid air. I don't really have an explanation but I'm sure it's invisible.
    "This life is not real. I conquered the world and it did not bring me satisfaction." -Muhammad Ali

Super Elite
    Technically, it's invisible. They emit no light, so you can't actually see a black hole.

Formerly cap_826

Aeolu
    You can't "see" a blackhole because of the intense gravity that just consumes light and such; however, you can observe it because of the accretion disk that forms around the black hole (lots of gases spinning around the black hole at blinding speeds) and you can observe them from sources of x-ray emissions. There are super-massive black holes in the middle of galaxies--even one in our own.

:P

Can't even approach one, as once time dilation sets in from the intense gravity well, it would take you 200,000 years to reach the event horizon. By that time, however, you would be torn into a string of atoms, and, well, wouldn't really care at that point.

Master Sage
    well it would depend it sucks things into it so you would see the things going through, but if nothing is around no it would be invisible to you.

VOTE FOR JOHN McCAIN!
    The night was never so fearfull....

Superior Member

I think...

Hempeater
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsky

NOVA did a fascinating episode on the origins of space, life etc. called "Origins" (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/). They stated that before the Big Bang the universe was only just black space with concentrations where matter could exists and seconds after the Big Bang what we know to be matter formed there. This is what constitutes the beggining of galaxies and Stars. Around 1,000,000,000 years after the Big Bang, galaxies and Stars formed. On a note it is predicted in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years that the universe will end.

Thread Information