Latest PSU headlines:

Page 204 of 230 FirstFirst ... 194204214 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 5732

Thread: Arsenal Thread

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    http://www.marca.com/2012/08/23/en/f...345703549.html
    Sahin is Anfield-bound

The Sahin saga still hasn't been put to rest, although a resolution appears to be around the corner. In the end the Turk's final destination seems to be Liverpool, where his agent, Reza Fazeli, travelled to meet the Anfield club's hierarchy and iron out the details of the deal.

On Monday Sahin's representative went to the Bernabéu firm in his conviction to take the Turk to Arsenal. Wenger had persuaded the player to move to the Emirates, but Madrid changed the course of events when it told the playmaker that the Gunners were unwilling to accept a loan deal and were pushing for a permanent transfer. Neither Madrid nor Sahin himself were happy with this arrangement.

Liverpool, which was the first club on the scene, has once again emerged as the most suitable option, as the player knows that Brendan Rodgers will guarantee him a place in the starting line-up. Sahin approved a switch to Anfield on Tuesday, leading his representative to undertake his whirlwind trip to complete the deal.

Liverpool wants to make the move official on Thursday, provided it can tie up any loose ends with the player. Sahin could be joined in the Premier League by Ricardo Carvalho. According to reports from the BBC, the Portuguese centre-back is set to spend a season on loan at Queens Park Rangers.
    I don't know what to believe anymore. Just want it to be over.

Daily Fail saying deal done for you. Win win for them, if he's yours, they can say they were right, if he's ours, nobody listens to them anyway lol.

Edit: the Fail are now running with the Marca story. Literally copy-pasting it actually lol. What a joke of a website.
    Last edited by Shibby; 08-23-2012 at 10:26.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Yep, typical Arsenal like I mentioned in the previous page. Get it over and done with asap. I fear that we may be putting way too much energy in trying to secure him when we've got other matters to deal with this window

Master Sage
    Items Firefox LogoBruce LeeArsenal
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Weren't all the reputable sources saying that an agreement was made between the clubs? I wonder what we screwed up now. Sahin.. I love you as a player but just make up your mind already! There better be a buy out clause with how long this saga has gone on.

It's him and his agent taking forever trying to view all the options.
    Last edited by Firefox; 08-23-2012 at 16:17.

Elite Guru
    It's probably a combination of how much of his wages we are willing to pay and the buyout that is causing the problems here. He wants to come to us and we want him, but if we can't agree on anything with Madrid then he'll end up going Liverpool. So it's basically in our hands I'd say

Veteran
    I don't get the whole refusing to take him without a buy-out clause thing. Sure, it'd be great to get him and keep him after the year if he fits in, but I'd rather have him improve my team for 1 year than not at all. For this reason, I think you'll cave on your buy-out clause demand and be the ones to get him for a season.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    From what I get, they have generally agreed to the loan and the buyout clause, the only holdup are the exact terms of the buyout.

Elite Guru
    Well there's just over a week left in the window and I think the closer it gets to the end the more likely we will just take him for the year and be done with it, or retract any interest and allow Liverpool to swoop in. The thing with the buyout is that Arsene has been an admirer of Sahin's since he was very young and knows all about him. He's probably using this situation of Madrid having a ton of world class midfielders and their likely purchase of Modric to persuade Madrid to include a buyout clause; best for all parties kind of situation. Wenger is (sometimes annoyingly) very patient when it comes to this kinda stuff

Personally, as I've said before, I would just take him for a year and see it as Sahin being a Wilshere replacement until the latter is set and ready to play on a weekly basis for us.

Sahin being such a huge talent is what is probably causing this delay

Veteran
    EDIT: false info

Dedicated Member
    As talented as Sahin is, I'm willing to pass on him if it's only really a rental and nothing more.

Elite Guru
    I have to say, my interest in in all of this has been dented by what has surely become a bit of a saga. To be expected though when it's Arsenal :P

Anyway, looking forward to the Spanish Super Cup 1st leg tonight; Barca vs Real. Sahin isn't in the squad btw

Dedicated Member

12. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Master Sage
    Well Sahin is going to Liverpool.. that's that then.

Dedicated Member
    Source?

Veteran
    http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/late...n-sahin-latest

Brendan Rodgers expects to discover in the next 24 hours whether Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin will join Liverpool on loan.

The manager was asked about a potential move in his press conference following the 1-0 victory over Hearts.

He said: "Hopefully in the next 24 hours we'll get some confirmation on that.
    "It's quite far [along the line]. He's a very good footballer."

Elite Guru
    Guess Mourinho/Madrid overruled the player then. Rodgers' wouldn't have said that unless it's basically on route to completion. Quality signing for them!

Master Sage
    The BBC say Liverpool were prepared to pay a larger portion of the wages.. classic Arsenal transfer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19364375

Elite Guru
    £115,000 a week? I find that hard to believe but then again if it's true it kind of makes sense that we backed out considering our very own $#@!ed up wage structure. Also, I read a £5m LOAN FEE with a £14m buyout option. Madrid bought him for £8m this time last year, he played 4 games for them and isn't really at the condition at which they purchased him yet they're still looking for £20m when it's all said and done? Laughable. Smells like Mourinho

With the kind of money involved here I am not surprised we walked away. But I will accept that he'd have likely ended up being a top top player for us so that kind of investment would have been worth it. Huge risk though, and Wenger doesn't like those when a lot of money is involved

Edit:

Oh and AFCAMDEN tweetest that Wilshere expected to return to full training in 3 weeks. This probably has something to do with it. Maybe
    Last edited by Nitey; 08-24-2012 at 00:34.

Master Sage
    There is an option to buy too.. we can't even compete with Liverpool in terms of player wages let alone Man City.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    There is an option to buy too.. we can't even compete with Liverpool in terms of player wages let alone Man City.

We've done a lot of work in cleaning up our disastrous wage bill. Too much money for not enough quality. And gave pay bumps to the players who deserve it (Suarez, Skrtel, and soon to be Agger)

We've moved on Maxi, Kuyt, and Aquilani who were reportedly on wages of £250k combined. And the players we've brought in (Allen and Borini) make around £30-40k apparently.

And we still have Joe Cole on the books for around £90-100k which is absolutely ridiculous.

Left us with some room to make this move. If the numbers in the BBC report are correct then that's around £80k for him.
    Last edited by Shibby; 08-24-2012 at 02:01.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    I dont believe you paid 15M for Joe Allen (haha) and are only paying him 40k a week.

And if Sahin is that expensive and especially if there is a loan fee of any kind, then that is crap and I can understand not getting him. BUT, if we were just being cheap, i think we missed out on a player who could've been quite useful to us. Remember, he can play leftback too.

Veteran
    Why not? Brendan knows exactly what the player was on at Swansea. He probably doubled his wages going to 40-45-50 whatever it is.

Haha? He looks to be worth it so far.

Think I've figured out what happened though. Madrid refused to let him go to you as you'd just sell him on to Barca.

23. Likes DINAMO788 likes this post
    Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    We've done a lot of work in cleaning up our disastrous wage bill. Too much money for not enough quality. And gave pay bumps to the players who deserve it (Suarez, Skrtel, and soon to be Agger)

We've moved on Maxi, Kuyt, and Aquilani who were reportedly on wages of £250k combined. And the players we've brought in (Allen and Borini) make around £30-40k apparently.

And we still have Joe Cole on the books for around £90-100k which is absolutely ridiculous.

Left us with some room to make this move. If the numbers in the BBC report are correct then that's around £80k for him.
    I don't think anyone in our squad currently is making more than 80 thousand. Sagna (unbelievable RB) on 60, Vermaelen on 70. So we couldn't afford Sahin without making him the highest paid player at the club and on top of that 20 million in total if (big if) he wants to stay.

I would have loved for him to come here but the way we are set up, I guess it was never meant to be.
    Last edited by Firefox; 08-24-2012 at 04:52.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    I don't think anyone in our squad currently is making more than 80 thousand. Sagna (unbelievable RB) on 60, Vermaelen on 70. So we couldn't afford Sahin without making him the highest paid player at the club and on top of that 20 million in total if (big if) he wants to stay.

I would have loved for him to come here but the way we are set up, I guess it was never meant to be.
    As one of the top clubs in the world, and a top 10 most valuable franchise, We should be able to offer 100k contracts for top talent.

Master Sage
    We have to make 10-15 million profit every year don't we to pay off the stadium.. whenever that's getting paid off.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    We have to make 10-15 million profit every year don't we to pay off the stadium.. whenever that's getting paid off.
    We have the highest ticket rates plus we get CL money. I hope the stadium is getting paid off soon. Btw, when are we due to re-up our TV rights and sponsorship deals. I know we have really crappy terms now and are going to get a lot more when we re-up.

Thread Information