Page 227 of 230 FirstFirst ... 217227 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 5732

Thread: Arsenal Thread

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWave View Post
    Ticket prices are extortionate and now he's vilifying fans for not being happy with what frankly looks like panic buys; perhaps if he had swallowed his pride and just paid the prices required earlier in the window then people wouldn't be so vocal about the business model or his acumen. The Cabaye bid reeks of a panic buy, much like the Mertesacker and Arteta bids of last, (granted the latter worked out very well.)
    Completely agree with you there.
    I reckon that any signings we make now will be panic buys. And with this being the case, clubs can demand crazy amounts for us because they know we are desperate.

I heard the other day from a fan that our transfer window should expire around about pre-season to avoid $#@! like this. I would agree with that; not sure how much good it would really do though.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Yeah, I think Mourinho's called for it to shut before the league kicks off, too. I can get how frustrating it must be for a Gooner when you've got a board waxing lyrical about funds and transfer towards the end of the season and then when there's an opportunity to get business done early, it's overlooked for whatever multitude of reasons. Think Arsene needs to realise you've gotta pay over the odds a lot of the time and if you're unwilling to there's a plethora of clubs who will do just that.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    Yeah, I think Mourinho's called for it to shut before the league kicks off, too. I can get how frustrating it must be for a Gooner when you've got a board waxing lyrical about funds and transfer towards the end of the season and then when there's an opportunity to get business done early, it's overlooked for whatever multitude of reasons. Think Arsene needs to realise you've gotta pay over the odds a lot of the time and if you're unwilling to there's a plethora of clubs who will do just that.
    Once again, I completely agree with you. It's like fans are being fed lies by the board gloating that we have the money to spend, and giving false hope that said money will be spent.

And I think that Chelsea ruined football in terms of transfers. Of course there were pretty big deals that happened before Chelsea got their money, but once that happened, spending £32 million for Shevchenko made other clubs realise they could demand over-the-odds fees for their players. But that's the way football's gone now, and like you say, Wenger needs to realise that this is how it is now and needs to adapt. No club is going to go backwards and say that they'll sell their players, especially their best ones, for a cheap price - that's just not going to happen now!

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    That avatar is so disconcerting, great film. :3

Thing is as well, fair enough, an argument (albeit a weak one) can be made for Arsene being priced out of moves initially in the window, but even at that, there's been bargains made by lesser teams in the Premier League. Personally, I think Lovren and Amorebieta are both fantastic defenders, and both of which (more so the former) could do a job at Arsenal - instead they're now plying their trade at both Southampton and Fulham respectively. Even Medel who went to Cardiff is excellent but a bit of a nutter. Alderweireld is there to test the bidding waters with; pay the bloody wages for Cèsar, or hammer Stoke with a hefty bid for Begovic as they've got Butland who, if needed, could step into the helm. Toulalan went for peanuts, too. Jackson Martinez could be tempted with a massive bid and he'd step right into the fray. There's options there if Wenger just gets his finger out.

Apprentice
    We do need to make a big signing at some point, regardless of how much we pay, just to say to the other CL contenders "we're here to play." Some of our kids may grow into superstars, like Theo has and others who have buggered off with a good reason; but the fact is we are no longer a genuine title contender because 3 teams have signed big name players at massive costs to move out ahead and there is at least one more trying to do the same. We should be doing the same and we can, people are paying those extortionate ticket prices and Puma have given us the most expensive kit deal ever, these days there's no shame in forking out £40m for someone who will make a massive impact.

S. Vettel challenges on GT5- 3 Golds, all using DS3
    I think that makes me the best DS3 user on GT5 in the whole PSU, but I'm open to challenges

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    More bull$#@! in the works as we're apparently working on signing both Karim Benzema and Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid: click me!

It's all talk for me. I've had this stance for some years that I won't believe it until I see reporters and such on Sky Sports News going crazy over transfer stories involving us. I could say that Tony Blair is going to physically build a hospital for kittens with his bare hands - doesn't mean it's going to happen. It could, but it won't!

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Well it looks like Bale's Madrid bound tomorrow-ish, which could start a string of events; if the interest's substantial for Benzema and he leaves, (he's the only true striker at Madrid, besides Morata, so I don't really see it) you can bet Madrid will bid for Suarez. In the case of di Maria, didn't Ronaldo get assurance he wouldn't leave or something? He doesn't want to, either. It's all very convoluted.

Dedicated Member

Master Guru
    Items EnglandArsenal
    We resigned Flamini.

Another freebie but I suppose he's a decent enough player. Workhorse!

It would be great if he can play like he did in his last season with us previously.

Apprentice
    So it appears we're getting Ozil for £43, meteoric by our standards obviously but why spend all that on a talented creative midfielder. That is something we have in abundance. We're also getting a goalkeeper from Palermo I've never heard of on loan, and have made an "inquiry" for Demba Ba, who is someone I've admired for a while.
    We still need to get at least one more defender IMO but I'm glad we're shutting people up by spending money. Unlike AC, getting Kaka back on a free, they must have the same accountants as Jimmy Carr

I think that makes me the best DS3 user on GT5 in the whole PSU, but I'm open to challenges

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    So then the window has shut and we have signed Sanogo, a goalkeeper called Viviano, Flamini and, of course, Mesut Ozil. I think we have vastly over paid for him but that's what happens when you leave it til the last day and your options are limited.

I don't even know what to think. Mainly feeling disappointed. Again we haven't done the business we should have done and could have done. Yes Ozil is a good signing, that's great. But we desperately needed a top drawer striker. We desperately needed another CB. Once again Arsene falls short of buying the players we need to be able to confidently charge into the new season.

Master Poster
    Items LiverpoolModern Warfare 3
    Ozil is a class player but as you said, you don't need a player like him.

You lot need 2 strong centre mids and 2 strong centre halves, not an ozil

"Raise your weapon, one word and it's over"

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I $#@!ing love Ozil. But attacking mid was by far your strongest position, so in that respect, 50m euros is way too high a price.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Ozil... How. No offense to the Gunners, however. :3 Seems like a 'statement'-type signing; your issues lie squarely in 'keeper, defender and striker depth more so than anything. And if it's midfield you're addressing surely it's someone with a box-to-box engine, breaking up and distributing; you've got Cazorla/Ramsey/Wilshere etc all playing decently in fairness. Still, when you've got top, top class on your hands you make room for them, and it's quite easy to make a balanced Arsenal team out of everyone now. That said you're still spread thin, what with your luck on the injury front this past while.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Try getting the ball of us now with our midfield.

Time we kicked on now. We'll go back for Suarez next year, if that fails target Reus's release clause or Draxler.

People who say we need centre backs don't watch Arsenal enough. I go to most games and watch the ones I don't. Kosh and Mert have a good partnership,, Vermaelen is good CB and Sagna as 4th choice is not bad, you can't have 4 class cbs. Kosh is one of the leagues best defenders, if not one now the world's best.

Flamini will prove to be one of then signings of the summer, Mark my words. Strong, quick, aggressive and can play, exactly what we needed. The fact he cost nothing as well.

Although I agree that a good GK like Cèsar or Begovic would have been great.
    Last edited by crazy_gooner; 09-06-2013 at 21:10.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    Try getting the ball of us now with our midfield.

Time we kicked on now. We'll go back for Suarez next year, if that fails target Reus's release clause or Draxler.
    It's what you do when you haven't got the ball that's been the issue for Arsenal these past few seasons. :3 I understand Reus, but why Draxler? Sure, he's incredible, but again it's not the position you need - especially when you're talkin' about a player who you'd have to break the bank for.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    It's what you do when you haven't got the ball that's been the issue for Arsenal these past few seasons. :3 I understand Reus, but why Draxler? Sure, he's incredible, but again it's not the position you need - especially when you're talkin' about a player who you'd have to break the bank for.

I reckon with Flamini and Ramsey we have two very good work horses.

I believe Draxler will end up as a striker, he as there sometimes. His movement is brilliant, fast and quite strong too. To me it's what Wenger looks for.

Veteran
    Ozil... How. No offense to the Gunners, however. :3 Seems like a 'statement'-type signing; your issues lie squarely in 'keeper, defender and striker depth more so than anything. And if it's midfield you're addressing surely it's someone with a box-to-box engine, breaking up and distributing; you've got Cazorla/Ramsey/Wilshere etc all playing decently in fairness. Still, when you've got top, top class on your hands you make room for them, and it's quite easy to make a balanced Arsenal team out of everyone now. That said you're still spread thin, what with your luck on the injury front this past while.
    Honestly we did need Ozil, or someone like him. We just needed other positions filling more. But the need for another playmaker was definitely there.

Last season too much of the creative burden was on Cazorla. If he didn't do something magic, we struggled

Apprentice
    Where has everyone gone? Although since we stopped talking we've shot to the top of the league and look the only consistent side around, so maybe I shouldn't jinx it
    Even though we are top do people think we can seriously challenge for the title? Even though they had a bad week I still think Chelsea are the force to be reckoned with, and you can never discount either Manc team. But for us, with the midfield we have and Giroud's form, we look set to get at least one goal per game, and the Mertesacker-Koscielney partnership is pretty solid, it's just a case of the injury list that might prevent us being up there, thoughts?

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Aaron Ramsey.....that is all.

Finally showing why we wanted him also......didnt realise how much that leg break set him back.....

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Dedicated Member
    Top of the Table!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Happy that we got through against West Brom.

Hoping our run continues. Not expecting a win every time. But at least hoping for good performances instead of let-downs.
    Be Together - Not the same.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Didn't think I'd see Bendtner in an Arsenal shirt again, especially looking stupider than usual. :3 Arsenal vs. Chelski - mouthwatering!

Dedicated Member
    Great start to the weekend.

Spurs drew with Chelsea.

City lost to Villa and United lost to West Brom.

Our guys just need to do their part now and they will.

Veteran
    Top of the league, baby

We aren't even playing that well but we're still winning. 8 away wins in a row now

Thread Information