Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 122
  1. #51
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    I tried it on speedtest.net and my ping went from 38ms to 50ms, but the up/down speeds are pretty much the same. Cany anybody tell me how to go back to default settings again?
    There should be an option in the program that lets you set it back to default.

  2. #52
    Dedicated Member
    Husker86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,428
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    127 (0 Banked)
    It's from CNet, you shouldn't have to worry about trojans or anything.

    Sufi, you may see an increase in your PS3 speed but I can assure you it wasn't from this software. All this does, like I said before, is tweak your PC's registry values which in no way can affect your PS3, unless like someone else pointed out you're running your PS3 through your PC, which is highly unlikely.

  3. #53
    Super Elite
    ImSiCkOfYoU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,046
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    2,405 (512 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by msmma View Post
    This is good for those looking for a speed bump in their PC.

    I have FIOS so everything is rocket fast already so I don't need this. Thanks anyways though.
    where in ny do you live that you got fios?

  4. #54
    Elite Guru
    mcav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,759
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    3,813 (0 Banked)
    I'm going to say this once, and I hope I don't have to say it again.

    ****ING ABOUT WITH THE SOFTWARE ON YOUR PC WILL NOT INCREASE THE SPEED OF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION ON YOUR PLAYSTATION 3. IT WILL SIMPLY DO ONE OF 2 THINGS.

    1. Tweak settings on your PC to maximise it's use of your ALREADY EXISTING bandwidth.

    2. Fool your PC into believing it's got a faster rate than it really does.

    BY THE WAY. speedtest.net is HIGHLY optimistic when it comes to download rates.

    And just because it's distributed through Cnet does not guarantee it's not malicious.

    seriously now [/thread]

  5. #55
    Dedicated Member
    Husker86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,428
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    127 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    I'm going to say this once, and I hope I don't have to say it again.

    ****ING ABOUT WITH THE SOFTWARE ON YOUR PC WILL NOT INCREASE THE SPEED OF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION ON YOUR PLAYSTATION 3. IT WILL SIMPLY DO ONE OF 2 THINGS.

    1. Tweak settings on your PC to maximise it's use of your ALREADY EXISTING bandwidth.

    2. Fool your PC into believing it's got a faster rate than it really does.

    BY THE WAY. speedtest.net is HIGHLY optimistic when it comes to download rates.

    And just because it's distributed through Cnet does not guarantee it's not malicious.

    seriously now [/thread]
    First off, calm down. Secondly, considering it's marked as spyware free and it's coming from a very well known website it's about as close to a guarantee that you'll be fine as anything else you download off the internet.

    Just because it's only messing with the registry doesn't mean it can't help. So what if it's just utilizing your existing bandwidth better, what good is having high bandwidth if your computer isn't taking advantage of it? Arguing over semantics is ridiculous.

    Again, it didn't help my computer any but it might help others.

  6. #56
    Apprentice
    sqrtlsqd7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    465
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    129 (0 Banked)
    here are my results:
    Before: Download = 3548 kb/s Upload = 2021 kb/s
    After: Download = 13465 kb/s Upload = 1823 kb/s

  7. #57
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    I just installed the program sans restarting the computer and according to dslreports.com my DSL connection improved! Whether I will notice this or not on my ps3 is still up in the air.

    From 1981 Kb/s Dload, 401 Kb/s, 81 ms latency to 2490 Kb/s Dload, 354 Kb/s, 53 ms latency.

  8. #58
    Apprentice
    ElmntDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    157
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    wow!! THIS THING REALLY WORKS
    icant believe how its no spam or spyware.. lol its great..
    GGGREAAT Find Sufi!
    (and yes i relaize this is for PC only, which is great, because i need faster PC speed too)
    Thanks!!

    Elmnt

    P.S. i just hope after i uninstall it,, it'll still be "Tweaked" and ill have my fast speed =)

  9. #59
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Hello, I'm quite new to this network and just got a 80gb PS3 two days ago. Don't know too much about networking but I do know that when I try to play Motorstorm online it has an update and it take FOREVER to download, so much that i just cancel it. Donwloaded an 800mb file from the PSN and it took like three hours. Is there any way to speed up my downloading, and if there is, be gentle on the terms to describe it. By the way my connection is wireless with a belkin router and roadrunner cable. Sorry would have posted new thread, but apparantly i cant yet. Thanks for your help!

  10. #60
    Elite Guru
    mcav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,759
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    3,813 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker86 View Post
    First off, calm down. Secondly, considering it's marked as spyware free and it's coming from a very well known website it's about as close to a guarantee that you'll be fine as anything else you download off the internet.

    Just because it's only messing with the registry doesn't mean it can't help. So what if it's just utilizing your existing bandwidth better, what good is having high bandwidth if your computer isn't taking advantage of it? Arguing over semantics is ridiculous.

    Again, it didn't help my computer any but it might help others.
    Clearly, a reading comprehension test is in order for you.

    Let me make it a little clearer for you and anyone else who is not sure.

    THIS.

    WILL.

    NOT.

    SPEED.

    UP.

    THE.

    DOWN.

    LOAD.

    RATE.

    FOR.

    YOUR.

    PS3.

    And to clarify, speedtest.net is a VERY innacurate way to measure your bandwidth. There are far more realistic measurement sites out there.

    By the way - don't ever tell me to calm down. You may read my words in your head any way you care to, but that comes down to - you guessed it - your reading comprehension problems.

    Incidentally - if you want to maximise the PERFORMANCE of your PC, simply maintaining it regularly will work as well as these "tweaks" Things like....

    Regular spyware SCANS

    Regular virus SCANS.

    Having both these applications running in the background (AVG/Windows defender for example)

    Keeping a firewall up on your PC.

    Regular disc cleanups

    Regular disc defragmenting (ESPECIALLY IF YOU TORRENT)

    Regular registry cleaning (Wise registry cleaner for example)

    These things help your PC in shape.

    Also - above all else, don't trust 100% these speed testers. Trust what you get when you're downloading a REAL FILE.

    Just one final thing - your connection can vary in speed by up to 1 MEGABIT per second depending on what time of day it is, or what kind of weather is happening.

  11. #61
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    Clearly, a reading comprehension test is in order for you.

    Let me make it a little clearer for you and anyone else who is not sure.

    THIS.

    WILL.

    NOT.

    SPEED.

    UP.

    THE.

    DOWN.

    LOAD.

    RATE.

    FOR.

    YOUR.

    PS3.

    And to clarify, speedtest.net is a VERY innacurate way to measure your bandwidth. There are far more realistic measurement sites out there.

    By the way - don't ever tell me to calm down. You may read my words in your head any way you care to, but that comes down to - you guessed it - your reading comprehension problems.

    Incidentally - if you want to maximise the PERFORMANCE of your PC, simply maintaining it regularly will work as well as these "tweaks" Things like....

    Regular spyware SCANS

    Regular virus SCANS.

    Having both these applications running in the background (AVG/Windows defender for example)

    Keeping a firewall up on your PC.

    Regular disc cleanups

    Regular disc defragmenting (ESPECIALLY IF YOU TORRENT)

    Regular registry cleaning (Wise registry cleaner for example)

    These things help your PC in shape.

    Also - above all else, don't trust 100% these speed testers. Trust what you get when you're downloading a REAL FILE.

    Just one final thing - your connection can vary in speed by up to 1 MEGABIT per second depending on what time of day it is, or what kind of weather is happening.
    Ok, sure I'll believe that it doesn't help the PS3. I never believed these things either because I had tried it before once but didn't work.

    However, explain me something here. After I tweaked my settings, I went to test, yes the test went up by a significant margin, it was definitely way over the variation that it should have. About a 50% increase. That's not a margin.

    Now, numbers can be deceiving correct? I agree with you. Which is why, I didn't post this thread until I had found PROOF that it does help most of the times.

    How did I find out? Well, it was going to be hard to find out by just surfing. So I went to Youtube and I wasn't expecting it to be that big of a difference. Guess what, before the tweak, my video loaded up about 5 seconds after starting it. After the tweak, WITHIN A SECOND! I am not joking you about this. It has improved my buffering so much that I'm extremely happy and I like to watch HD videos more often now.

    See I used to have cable and I had a very decent speed, ever since I went DSL, it was slow but since I had already made the switch and it was $10 cheaper, I didn't care. Well, now my speed is almost as good as my previous cable. The maximum speed didn't go up but my DSL was slower than it should've been.

    I think this tweak doesn't work for people that are getting almost 100% of their bandwidth that they're supposed to get. This probably only works for people like me that are supposed to have 3mbit connection but only get 1.5mbit for some reason. I'm upto 2.5mb now. Which is a huge increase from before, even if not as good as it should be.

    Anyway, just wanted to share that, since you are against this >_> vigorously...

  12. #62
    Zetsumei
    Guest
    Before the program was installed...



    After install...



    After the uninstall of the program...



    Actually I did some other test.... and it all seems to be very close to each other... this program doesn't really do ****... not for me at least~

  13. #63
    Dedicated Member
    towlie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,040
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    well heres my results with my pc i didn't test it with my ps3 cus i never had lag on that in the first place

    before test

    cnet bandwidth meter: 1585.7 kbps
    speedtest.net


    After test

    cnet bandwidth test: 2050.3 kbps
    speedtest.net



    so there really was no improvement to the download on speedtest but my upload and up and my ping went down (good
    but my download went down which is bad but not by much so its probably just a margin of error thing
    EDIT: i just did my speedtest again with better results for the download at least... upload went wayy down

    Sometimes I like to pretend that I'm pro.

  14. #64
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
    Before the program was installed...



    After install...



    After the uninstall of the program...



    Actually I did some other test.... and it all seems to be very close to each other... this program doesn't really do ****... not for me at least~
    I've noticed that it doesn't do very well for people that have a really good connection to begin with. Only the ones that have a ****ty connection like myself.

  15. #65
    Super Elite
    surtur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,131
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    263 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    Clearly, a reading comprehension test is in order for you.

    Let me make it a little clearer for you and anyone else who is not sure.

    THIS.

    WILL.

    NOT.

    SPEED.

    UP.

    THE.

    DOWN.

    LOAD.

    RATE.

    FOR.

    YOUR.

    PS3.

    And to clarify, speedtest.net is a VERY innacurate way to measure your bandwidth. There are far more realistic measurement sites out there.

    By the way - don't ever tell me to calm down. You may read my words in your head any way you care to, but that comes down to - you guessed it - your reading comprehension problems.

    Incidentally - if you want to maximise the PERFORMANCE of your PC, simply maintaining it regularly will work as well as these "tweaks" Things like....

    Regular spyware SCANS

    Regular virus SCANS.

    Having both these applications running in the background (AVG/Windows defender for example)

    Keeping a firewall up on your PC.

    Regular disc cleanups

    Regular disc defragmenting (ESPECIALLY IF YOU TORRENT)

    Regular registry cleaning (Wise registry cleaner for example)

    These things help your PC in shape.

    Also - above all else, don't trust 100% these speed testers. Trust what you get when you're downloading a REAL FILE.

    Just one final thing - your connection can vary in speed by up to 1 MEGABIT per second depending on what time of day it is, or what kind of weather is happening.
    Ok calm down check out http://www.speedguide.net/ read the forums and they have much to say that would disagree with you saying it does not speed up a PC the ps3 yeah i can not see how it would. but i have used programs like this for about 4 years and although not huge improvements i did get about a 10% increase. i don't know if i will try this one but i might.

    and if you don't like speedtest then try these http://www.dslreports.com/stest there are a few more tests i haven't tried all but might get more accurate results.

    oh and i do agree about keeping your PC clean and in top shape.
    George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Einstein
    Great spirits will always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.

  16. #66
    Elite Guru
    mcav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,759
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    3,813 (0 Banked)
    Surtur, you are right.... but if you go to the topic header, it reads...

    Increase Your Ps3 Connection Speed 25%-50% Guaranteed!
    This is 100% Bull!

    I KNOW that programs and software can maximise your internet connection potential! I didn't EVER say they could not.

    PC Software cannot ever increase your internet connection potential on your PS3!

    And none of this can help you if you have a crap ISP.

  17. #67
    Member
    D3V1L03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    133
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    125 (0 Banked)
    Does this also work for Wireless USB adapters? Cause it's not on the wizard list.

  18. #68
    Newbie
    virus0686's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    255 (0 Banked)
    for me it very slightly increased my download speed, slightly increased my upload speed, but it did considerably lower my ping time.

    but i don't see how it could help the ps3...who knows though

  19. #69
    Apprentice
    FANTASYX72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    257 (0 Banked)
    Cool I will try at home and share with my friends that have poor connection,and Sufi I bet you getting a lot of REP+ lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcav View Post
    Surtur, you are right.... but if you go to the topic header, it reads...



    This is 100% Bull!

    I KNOW that programs and software can maximise your internet connection potential! I didn't EVER say they could not.

    PC Software cannot ever increase your internet connection potential on your PS3!

    And none of this can help you if you have a crap ISP.
    Hey what the **** is your problem man clam the **** down.Stop flaming dont you see he trying to help people out and for one no one ask you.

  20. #70
    Apprentice
    FANTASYX72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    257 (0 Banked)
    Double post,Double post,Double post,

  21. #71
    Apprentice

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    400
    Rep Power
    60
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    To the people who said that something you tried before and after is faster - try something similar, but not identical. It could well be something caching files somewhere so the files aren't trasferring as far as before. [Especially with that youtube vid]

  22. #72
    Extreme Poster
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    29,649
    Rep Power
    187
    Points
    95,658 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by D3V1L03 View Post
    Does this also work for Wireless USB adapters? Cause it's not on the wizard list.
    You'll be fine as long as you pick the DSL/Cable one. Assuming that's what you have?

  23. #73
    Elite Guru
    mcav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,759
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    3,813 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by virus0686 View Post
    for me it very slightly increased my download speed, slightly increased my upload speed, but it did considerably lower my ping time.

    but i don't see how it could help the ps3...who knows though
    I know. And anyone with a brain knows that it cannot and will not increase the download speed of your playstation 3 console.

    Ok lets look at this logically. I'd draw a picture, but just try to picture it in your head.

    From your wall back. You have your modem/router then connected to this router are your network devices. Your pc, your playstation 3, mobile phone, psp and so on. Each of them with their own set of network protocols, each one making use of your network hub in whatever way they are programmed to do so. You then install software which improves the way your pc handles the communication between itself and your hub and as such, to the outside world. This will not magically tell your psp, your phone or your playstation 3 how to improve their vastly different operating systems and how to manage their communications with the hub at all.

    They are seperate entities!

    I'll put it in a simpler way. Would replacing my conventional oven with a fan assisted oven improve the cooking speed of my completely seperate microwave just because it's attached to the same electricity grid?

  24. #74
    Member
    youngHov45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    126 (0 Banked)
    Man I'm in Aus and this is costing me $60/month. 12 gig cap 256 down. Weak.


    URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]
    GAMES: Call Of Duty 4 / Skate / NBA Live 08 / Full Auto 2 / Uncharted / assassins Creed / NBA Street / GTAIV / Metal Gear Solid 4 / Bourne Conspiracy / transformers / Grid / NBA2K9 / Resistance / Resistance 2 / Civilisation Revolution / G1 Jockey 4 / COD5 / Saints Row 2 / Mercenaries 2 /

  25. #75
    Member
    youngHov45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    126 (0 Banked)
    btw Is There Anyway To Change Your Psn Log In Name???
    GAMES: Call Of Duty 4 / Skate / NBA Live 08 / Full Auto 2 / Uncharted / assassins Creed / NBA Street / GTAIV / Metal Gear Solid 4 / Bourne Conspiracy / transformers / Grid / NBA2K9 / Resistance / Resistance 2 / Civilisation Revolution / G1 Jockey 4 / COD5 / Saints Row 2 / Mercenaries 2 /

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.