Aleman

Marble Blast Ultra

A must buy Xbox Live Arcade title.

The gameplay is simple -- you roll a marble around with the left joystick, change the camera with the right joystick, and jump with A. Single player provides 60 levels varying from very easy to extremely difficult.

Multiplayer is insanely addicting. You roll around with up to 7 other marbles trying to collect gems. The right button creates an explosion that knocks other marbles away and the right trigger fires off power ups that you collect. There's absolutely no lag, which should be expected since the game is so simple.

Summary:

Gameplay: 10/10. Simple and addicting, with some interesting puzzles and accurate physics.

Graphics: 8/10. Nice shader effects and the marbles look great, but the environments are a little bland.

Sound: 7/10. Simple sound effects that suit the simple gameplay well. Lame techno soundtrack, but of course that's why the 360 has standard custom soundtracks

Value: 9/10. It's $10, not bad considering that the game is very replayable. Multiplayer on Live is lots of fun.

Overall (not an average): 9/10. A must buy. If you don't believe me, you can always download the trial version first to see how you like it.

Veteran
    Overall great game. It has 60 levels broken up into 3 difficulties each with 20 levels. The UI looks like they plan to add an "Expert" expansion at some point, most likely with another 20 levels.

I have completed all 60 levels, 59 underpar now. Collected all 20 hidden Easter Eggs that you can find, and played about 500 points of Multiplayer and love the game. Worth every penny of the roughly $10 it cost (800 points).

Gameplay: 9/10. Very fluid gameplay, but occassional camera issue when you are up against a wall. Mostly have issues trying to get to the places with the Easter Eggs. Won't have many if any issues playing the main game.

Graphics: 6/10. Looks almost like a Ray Tracing demonstration, both good and gad. It is definately pretty and uses what appears to be 8x or higher AA for a really nice smoothness. But its low res background images do detract occassionally. It has zero framerate issues even when looking down from above and is one of the prettiest Xbox Live Arcade titles, but doesn't hold a candle to a lot of other Xbox360 games.

Sound: 5/10. Simple, repeative music, but a nice beat. If you have a nice custom playlist you can load up, probably will want to do so. The effects are great for whats there, but nothing really shining. Didn't really notice any use of 5.1 even in Multiplayer. Nothing bad, but definately not great. Average score.

Value: 8/10. Definately worth getting. Will get at least a good 10 hours of play out of it, more if you go for the multiplayer or eggs. Easily 20+ hours if you try to get all the achievements and find all the eggs on your own. Lots of good fun, but the Multi-player can get boring fast if you are not into the midless fighting aspect of it that much. Multiplayer has 10 solid levels that are very distinct, but few are actually fun. Most people will probably play just enough Multiplayer to get the 2000 point achievement then call it quits. Single player is great, but unless you are very determined, you will likely stop playing around level 41 - 50 when the difficulty really ramps up. Allowing players to pass levels even if it takes them upwards of 30 minutes is a nice feature, combined with the par times and associate "fu" achievements does add some value.

Overall (not an average): 8/10. Worth every penny of the roughly $10. But its definately not for everyone. If you like puzzle games or old platformers, then it is a must have. The demo is definately worth checking out for everyone.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Anthony Hanses - Owner - Colloquy LLC

PSU Media Manager
    PSN ID
    King_Dank_Kush
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Do you guys have any screenshots of the game? I would really love to try this game but I dont have a Xbox360 so.....shoot

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NoUseMercenary
    Do you guys have any screenshots of the game? I would really love to try this game but I dont have a Xbox360 so.....shoot
    Here ya go, there is also a video, though the video has too much multiplayer action for my taste. The Single player is really where I find the fun to be had.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/ma...60/default.htm
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. This is a personal communication and in no way represents the official or unofficial views or opinions of my employer.

Forum Guru
    I have to ask a question, for multiplayer style arcade games such as this, is it multiplayer offline?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity
    I have to ask a question, for multiplayer style arcade games such as this, is it multiplayer offline?
    Some Live Arcade games are, like Gauntlet. Marble Blast Ultra is not.

Aleman
    My favorite part of the game is the British chick saying "Mega Marble" in multiplayer. Makes me laugh every time.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by siren
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity
    Some Live Arcade games are, like Gauntlet. Marble Blast Ultra is not.
    Oh well, now that I read Aleman and your review it doesn't seem like that fun of a game to play split screen on, it does, however, sound like a blast to play for singleplayer, I love these types of games.

Super Elite

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas

Banner replaced, UK boxart added, UK release fixed

Thread Information