Superior Member

PSP to TV - What is the Resolution?

What resolution does PSP display when you use the output feature on the new slim model?

Does it support progressive-scan and component cables?

Where do you get the cables for the PSP?

Forum Elder
    From What I remember it displays in 480p (the UMD movies anyway)

If anything refer to Wikipedia to see what they got

nevermind did it for you

Taken straight from them

TV output and accessory port

Sony has added a TV output for the PSP Slim available through Firmware 3.60. The PSP can output in a conventional aspect ratio (4:3), and widescreen (16:9). It also offers a screensaver if the PSP is inactive for a set amount of time. It is able to output games, videos, and other media. To achieve TV output on the Slim model, Composite, S-Video, Component and D-Terminal cables are sold separately by Sony. Games are output as a progressive scan signal, which can only be carried by the component video and D-Terminal cables, and can only be displayed on a television which supports progressive scan. The maximum resolution through TV output is 720x480 pixels, and composite video uses NTSC color encoding (no PAL composite signal is available). The old Playstation Portable (PSP-1000) is not capable of this feature due to a slightly different port. As a result, original PSP accessories (using the connector) will not work with the Slim and the Slim's accessories will not work with the original PSP. Sony has released a new version of the remote control accessory designed for the Slim as a result.

Superior Member

That is sweet! I may get a slim PSP so I can play Monster Hunter Freedom1&2 and the Final Fantasy Tactics remake.

I have a 24" Samsung LCD HDTV I could run the PSP through when I am home.

Woah! Hold on there.

Yes, UMD movies are 480p full screen. Everything else is full screen as well,

EXCEPT

Games. They are are at the psp's native resolution (480 by 272). Which, on your tv, is basically like a combination of wide screen and full screen. Not much of a problem if your tv has a zoom function, but the jaggies would be increased a lot

Where can I buy the cable for my slim that outputs to tv ?

Apprentice
    Anywhere you can buy a PSP you can probably buy those cables. I got mine off eBay for teh cheap. Can't wait to try them out, though I'm guessing it'll be a bit jaggy.

UDM movies are full screen? Really? Whose crappy idea was that?! Every single machine capable of playing them is widescreen!

Honestly, the fullscreen isn't that bad. It looks good

Also, your TV NEEDS to support 480p + component connection for games. I described earlier what games would look like, and here is a pic:

Like I said, Not too bad, but it looks better with your tv's zoom function

Also you asked where you could buy the cables at. You could probably but em at best buy I got mine off amazon, forgot the price.

The component cables are a good investment

you can buy it in amazon

Elite Member
    Too bad it doesnt get full screen, but I could imagine how it would look.... really bad. a 4"(?) screen streched to 42" ...

Bought a cable for my GO yesterady. hooked up my dualshock to it, and yeah. Worked good, I was playing Peace walker demo with a proper controller on a TV.

Only problem was that... nothing was assigned to the second analouge stick. they gotta put that feature in a firmware update.

Thread Information