Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect? Which one should I get?

Ok next month I can afford to buy 1 game, and I have decided that it should be an RPG game this time around.

But now, I don't know which one of these 2 I should get. Lost Odyssey or Mass Effect.

I love JRPG games a lot, I've played several games from the Lost Odyssey creator himself (Final Fantasy & Kingdom Hearts) and some other JRPG games very similar, so getting LO will definitly bring back somewhat the same feel of playing a FF game.

But I also like 3rd person shooter games and GTA. And as far as I know this game will have a mixture of the 3. The whole thing with flying from planet to planet and exploring new sights really interests me also.

So I need you guys to tell me which one I should get based on your own experience and opinions.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I would go with Mass Effect, fantastic game.91% in gamerankings compared to 78% for LO. RPG lovers do say it's under-rated though.

I don't really like turn-based games, but it seems you can't go wrong either way.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Superior Member
    The ending to Mass Effect is so epic that you won't regret buying it; get Mass Effect.
    I own all three consoles Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.
    I am a Star Trek fan, my favorite series is Deep Space Nine.
    Obama Supporter!

Bert
    Man Oh Man That's tough.
    Both are outstanding games.
    I guess what you might find helpful (rather than me harping on about how much i love both of them) would be to point out some of their differences.

ME has the capacity to be less linear than LO.
    ME has alot more gun fighting than LO
    LO, for me, was considerably harder and involved more thinking.
    Both have amazing visuals.
    Both have load times - none of which bothered me.
    ME is pure Sci-Fi
    LO is more fantasy.

Both games gave me >90 hours of F.U.N.

How about looking at second hand copies and getting both??

Mass Effect for me. Lost Odyssey doesn't really grab my interest, and like someone said above, Mass Effect is truly epic, especially at the end. You can play it so many different ways, and there's DLC coming in March.

Theft l Wanna add me on PSN/XBL? [CLICK!] l twitter.com/WonsAuto
    [reveal][/reveal]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Man Oh Man That's tough.
    Both are outstanding games.
    I guess what you might find helpful (rather than me harping on about how much i love both of them) would be to point out some of their differences.

ME has the capacity to be less linear than LO.
    ME has alot more gun fighting than LO
    LO, for me, was considerably harder and involved more thinking.
    Both have amazing visuals.
    Both have load times - none of which bothered me.
    ME is pure Sci-Fi
    LO is more fantasy.

Both games gave me >90 hours of F.U.N.

How about looking at second hand copies and getting both??
    I could, but buying 2 RPG games at once isn't excatly the brightest idea. I bought Final Fantasy VIII & IX at once and I haven't completed them yet, I haven't even begun with FFVIII yet, of course I took a quick peek once but I haven't really begun with the storyline.

Forum Elder
    ouch, and FFVIII is "arguably" one of the best FF. get to it!
    PSN- Scape13
    XBL- Scape13

"Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    ~Fuer Grissa ost Drauka

Forum Guru
    Months ago, I would have almost been 100% sure I'd say Mass Effect. I'm a guy who loves western RPGs and doesn't care too much for eastern RPGs. However, after playing Lost Odyssey, I can't decide which one should be gotten over the other. Just that they both should be gotten.

That probably doesn't make your decision any easier so I'll end with this:

Mass Effect gives you the decisions of an RPG with the movie-like feelness and enthralling combat while Lost Odyssey gives you the nuances of Japaneses story-telling with awesomely written dream sequences and old fashioned gameplay with some twists.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Scape View Post
    ouch, and FFVIII is "arguably" one of the best FF. get to it!
    Id say its one of the worst (level scaling should never grace any RPG), Besides any iteration after IX that is, after IX they went downhill immensely.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Harrow
    Mass Effect was one of the reasons I got a 360. It was the biggest gaming dissapointment I ever experienced. I don't know how it got such high review scores with all the technical problems and bad game design it showcases at every opportunity.

Just to defend myself before someone acts surprised by my post I'll list what I didn't like about the game.

1. Terrible combat. It just didn't feel good and it wasn't balanced half the time I died I didn't even know why.

2. Terrible enemy AI. Sometimes they just stand there frozen.

3. Terrible ally AI. Stop shooting the floor or a wall right in front of you idiots.

4. Textures showed up whenever they felt like it. I can't count how many characters and objects I saw without their textures and had them just pop in later. That really kills the feel of the game when it happens.

5. Loading times galore. There are so frequent and long they are just painful. Everywhere you go you're in an elevator or some other badly masked load time.

6. Bland looking environments. I now it is sci-fi and space themed, but the cities looked so bland it was just a letdown.

7. The vehicle you drive sucks, I forget what its called. It just feels terrilbe to drive and fight in. One time I killed one of those sandworms and it just disappeared. No death animation to speak of. Maybe that should come under graphical glitches though.

8. Bad game design. Why do I have to go through a dialogue tree and then fight a boss without a checkpoint? So that when I die I have to make my dialogue choices all over again? That is just sad. Shame on you Bioware, did you flunk game design 101?

9. The framerate was bad. Why should it be, the graphics aren't that great. The environments are not that detailed. What is the problem here?

10. Most of the planets you visit you can't land on. Not such a bad thing. But the ones you do land on are bland and boring and make you wonder why you bothered. To explore a planet that has the same gravity as all the rest, and to engage in terrible combat for a little loot? Why bother if it isn't advancing the story.

Somehow this game got nearly perfect scores by a lot of reviewers. What the hell is going on with the gaming world?

I never played LO. I hear it has some technical faults as well, but I can't imagine it being worse then ME so LO gets my vote.

Apprentice
    If you plan on playing both I say go with Lost Odyssey first. After playing Mass Effect I just feel like I got caught in a time warp with LO.
    PS3: Ownz it.
    XBox 360: WTF it's broke again!
    Wii: Still can't find the SOB.
    Hell just buy 'em all. (Getting shaky on this one)
    All fanboys should burn!!!

Anbu_Evolution
    I never played Mass Effect but I'm currently zoning out on Lost Odyssey and is on the 3rd disc. Really good game and I think it deserves around an 80-85 score. Load times are not as horrible as they make it out to be but the graphics is subpar. It looks great for an RPG at some parts but others look pretty crappy. I have to tell you though, there are a lot of movie scenes and talking throughout the entire game. I just finished one part where it was in straight story mode for about half an hour or so! I'm not even joking! I mean I did control the character but only to move them from point A to B without any other interaction. But yeah, it's a good game but not epic-like if you're comparing it to the Final Fantasy series. Definitely a good game though.

Elite Sage
    I'd go with LO.
    Mass Effect is great but LO is something I can really sink my teeth into.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just-A-Gamer View Post
    If you plan on playing both I say go with Lost Odyssey first. After playing Mass Effect I just feel like I got caught in a time warp with LO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carsonal View Post
    I'd go with LO.
    Mass Effect is great but LO is something I can really sink my teeth into.
    Which time warp did you get lost in?

Superior Member

I'd probably go with LO, even though I haven't played it yet but if you like JRPG's go with LO.

Mass effect is a good game but it was way too many technical problems. You won't regret buying neither of these games but Mass effect really was a disappointment when you consider what it could have been.

Both of these games have great story from what I hear (only finished mass effect) but if you like short RPG go with Mass effect ( I think it took me like under 10 hours, didn't bother withmost of the side quests since they were so dumb), not to mention the gay planets which were all the same.

I might sound a little bit harsh towards mass effect but I did enjoy it from start to end but no way I'd rate it any higher than 80/100, if even that.

MEMEROOT
    I'm waiting on LO so can't comment on that yet but mass effect was brilliant despite the flaws.

Superior Member
    Ok, thanks for all the help guys and hopefully your posts just might have convinced anyone else who was in doubt. I've made my decision. I'm going with LO

If Mass Effect is only 10 hours long, it simply not worth it. Besides I love long lasting JRPGames.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Donmega88 View Post
    Ok, thanks for all the help guys and hopefully your posts just might have convinced anyone else who was in doubt. I've made my decision. I'm going with LO

If Mass Effect is only 10 hours long, it simply not worth it. Besides I love long lasting JRPGames.
    Mass Effect isn't ten hours long. If you do everything possible in the game, ti will last for 45+ hours.

The Main storyline with a few sidequests is around 35+ hours

Just the main storyline is around 20-25 hours.

You will definitely play Mass Effect multiple times, it's that addictive.

In order to get all the achievements you need to play the game multiple times, allows you to experience missions in new ways.

Lastly look at the reviews, ME has a 91% average on gamerankings.com, LO has a 78% average.

Jusl look at these ratings (scroll to chart at bottom of page)

ME:
    http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...ass-Effect/p4/

LO:
    http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...st-Odyssey/p3/

Guilty-X-Shell
    LO has 4 disc,this game will take your soul for a very long time trust me.

Apprentice
    I'd go wit LO, no doubt... Mass Effect probably had the best story I've ever experienced and it was great while it lasted.. but on the 2nd playthrough I got kind of bored going through the dialogue again and shelved it for a few months to make it fresh next time I play it...

but LO is one of those journeys everyone should take once or twice a year... I've played it every chance I get since it's been released... it's a special game.. I'll go as far to say if you slapped Final Fantasy on the title no one would even be able to tell the difference...

Anbu_Evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilty-X-Shell View Post
    LO has 4 disc,this game will take your soul for a very long time trust me.
    LOLz..not really. I'm already on my 4th disc and I'm about 34 hours in. Not sure if would consider that long or not but it's about right. It has 4 discs because majority of it contains movie scenes and whatnot. There is a lot of talking and movie sequences in this game. You either love it or hate it.

Thread Information