Elite Member

DVR transfer to PS3 HD

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to transfer movies/concerts from a DVR to the PS3s HD (with a USB?). I have many Hi Def concerts recorded on my DVR and now its full - I need to get them off of it. I realize I could buy a blu-ray burner or recorder or whatever but I don't have 500 dollars to spend and I don't think blank blu-rays are that cheap. I would much rather buy like a 250+ GB HD for my PS3 and keep everything on there.

Another general question: how large are Hi-Def files? For example how much HD space does a 2 hour 1080p movie take up?

Veteran
    Yea man I also just got a Dvr And would love if they had something like this.

Cause then I put stuff on my archos from the ps3.

Its kinda weird cause when i said i just got my Dvr installed. I mean it.

Like the guys just left an hour ago.

Started the Big Sexy Signature Revolution
    Should I sue Microsoft for taking my Name? Cutting it in half and making it into a crap excuse for a search engine....If you think I can win, lets do this

N.HalesLegacy
    i dont believe you can transfer stuff off of a DVR, at least you're not ment to be able to.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by N.HalesLegacy View Post
    i dont believe you can transfer stuff off of a DVR, at least you're not ment to be able to.
    Yeah well this forum isn't suppose to be hacked by some ******* but it was, there MUST be a way to get this stuff off my DVR.

¡Viva México Cabrones!
    I also would like to know how one can get HD content off the Dish HDDVR VIP622. I have seen some content in HD from Dish Network in Stage6.com so it must be possible.

Elite Member
    Since I started this thread, about a half hour ago, I've been doing a little research. From what I've read the data on a DVR is only readable by the DVR box. However I did read that there is software available that would allow data transfer from the DVR to a computer via USB - and this software can be downloaded. If this is the case than it would seem possible to get the stuff onto the PS3, but only if the software is compatible with PS3 - which I seriously doubt. I wish I was a software engineer because this sounds like a very profitable idea.

There is also the option of buying a blu ray recorder - which at the moment aren't what I would consider affordable. It would seem, here and now, that by far the cheapest way would be to buy a DVD recorder and just record the stuff in Standard Def . And of course the movies would have to be played off the DVR while being recorded (in normal time). This sucks...

Veteran
    or get a pocket dish thing. I got one but its different model. Archos 404 And It dont work with the Dvr cause i didn't buy it from dish.

Started the Big Sexy Signature Revolution
    Should I sue Microsoft for taking my Name? Cutting it in half and making it into a crap excuse for a search engine....If you think I can win, lets do this

Elite Member
    what the hell is a pocket dish thing

Apprentice
    to the OP.

i DO have a way to do it. I'm able to do it now.

you need DVR, a computer that has a tv tuner, and prefferbly a dvd burner.

(this is my setup)

digital cable (dvr), dell cpu wit tv tuner.
    now you just hook the cable box up to the tuner. record your show on the dvr; and when your using the tuner it should give the option of recording the signal (although this might be for just vista)
    play the recorded show from the dvr as your recording from ur pc, and it will be stored on the hard drive. from there you're just a dumb drive away.

this setup it crazy, because my pc is my bedroom tv. i can be watching something on in demand in one window, while i'm posting here in another!

(mind you, when cable guys come to my house, they cant help me. they dont even know stuff like that can be done. lets keep it low guys)

i'm trying to figure out how to get it from dvr to ipod (the wire)
    [SIGPIC]fghfhgfhgf[/SIGPIC]
    160gig(20) Ps3, 42 plazma 1080p 480hz
    21 Ps3 games(fav=MGS4),10 psn ,16 blurays
    Psp: 8 games(fav=liberty stories), remote play
    Wii: 8 games(fav=Mario Galaxy)

Elite Member
    nice - unfortunately my PC doesn't have a tv tuner but +rep for you anyway. If anyone knows another way let me know. thanks

Industry Insider
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93416

I haven't read the article yet, but it looks like you can do pretty much whatever you want with playtv files. I would wait for this service to come to America (in like 30 years )

Breaking Beta Builds Since 83

Forum Elder
    Check your DVR's documentation to see if you can transfer files to another device.

If you can't, you may still be able to add an external HDD. Mine (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) for example, allows you to attach an external SATA HDD to the DVR for extra space.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    If you can't, you may still be able to add an external HDD. Mine (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) for example, allows you to attach an external SATA HDD to the DVR for extra space.
    I was actually thinking about an external HDD. But if its possible to transfer stuff from the DVR to an external HDD why wouldn't you just be able to transfer the stuff to the PS3s HDD?

BealeCorner
    You may be able to use an external HDD on the PVR but still not be able to use it anywhere else, if the PVR uses an encrypted filesystem. The PS3 does use an encrypted filesystem on its internal HDD, although it can read external USB drives with FAT32 format.

Gotmilk
    easiest way and only way i know how is if you have a DVD recorder just plug the Box into your DVD recorder and record it on to DVD then use comp rip the dvd and encode it to divx is the only way i know how at the mo though

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotmilk View Post
    easiest way and only way i know how is if you have a DVD recorder just plug the Box into your DVD recorder and record it on to DVD then use comp rip the dvd and encode it to divx is the only way i know how at the mo though
    Yeah this is probably the easiest and by far the cheapest way to do it but the problem is: no high definition

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    I was actually thinking about an external HDD. But if its possible to transfer stuff from the DVR to an external HDD why wouldn't you just be able to transfer the stuff to the PS3s HDD?
    The DVR doesn't transfer the files from the internal HDD to the external HDD. (You always leave the external HDD attahced to the DVR actually.) In the case of the 8300HD (for example) the external HDD basically acts as an extension of the internal HDD.

Since that sounded confusing, here's an example:
    SA8300HD with internal SATA 250GB HDD.
    I connect an external SATA 500GB HDD.

The DVR will now think that it has 750GB of HDD space. You now can record shows like you do normally, except with 750GB total to which to save data.

Also, it will save shows to each HDD evenly. In other words, it wouldn't fill the internal drive and then start to use the external. Instead, the first (say 25GB) would be written to the internal HDD, and the next 25GB would be saved to the external HDD. It is done this way to prevent too much use of one HDD over the other.
    60GB PS3 on 11/17/06
    40GB PS3 on 11/17/07
    120GB PS3 Slim 10/1/09

Elite Member
    Can you also hook up an external HDD to the PS3?

Gotmilk
    Quote Originally Posted by gillmanjr View Post
    Can you also hook up an external HDD to the PS3?

yes you can it has to be fat32 format though, but we dont know what encoding the dvr uses so you do not know if someone has created a program to get the file to play back on a pc or to convert it to a format the ps3 will read

I was thinking about trying one of these gizmos:

http://www.myhava.com/
    (formerly known as snappymultimedia)

Anybody out there try this yet?

Thread Information