Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3646 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1399
  1. #1126
    Master Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    20,766 (0 Banked)
    looking to sell my tv at the mo, 46" samsung, want to upgrade to the newish ones that are 2.7cm thick or something.

    gonna get a new PS3 slim this weekend too!
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

  2. #1127
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    1,538 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
    I have an Emotiva amp and love it. I have also only heard rave reviews of their speakers. I think the whole company has high quality gear for really good prices. Best bang for your buck, IMO.

    If you have the cash, I would go for it. Don't they have a 30-day money back guarantee on their speakers, too. They did for my amp. Not that I had to return it because it is so awesome.
    Ive been looking at the Emotiva's and let me get this straight...

    the Emotiva would be just for powering the speakers?

    Im new to this so I dont quite understand the point of having one AND an A/V receiver

    PSN ID/Live GT: Evoking1230

  3. #1128
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
    Ive been looking at the Emotiva's and let me get this straight...

    the Emotiva would be just for powering the speakers?

    Im new to this so I dont quite understand the point of having one AND an A/V receiver
    Yes! The Emotiva replaces the internal amplifier of your receiver. Typically, an external amplifier will provide cleaner power to your speakers with less distortion.

    It is not always about the power. I have heard some very good 35 watt tube amps power speakers and they sound great.

    Also, some speakers may not benefit as much from an external amplifier. For example, Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient and do not always require an external amplifier. However, if you are buying 4 ohm speakers, you will most likely need an external amplifier since very few receivers can support 4 ohm speakers and could damage the receiver , speakers or both.

    I know I threw some terms in there that you may not be familiar with, but please ask any questions that you may have regarding your new endevour.
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  4. #1129
    Master Poster

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,089
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    1,538 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
    Yes! The Emotiva replaces the internal amplifier of your receiver. Typically, an external amplifier will provide cleaner power to your speakers with less distortion.

    It is not always about the power. I have heard some very good 35 watt tube amps power speakers and they sound great.

    Also, some speakers may not benefit as much from an external amplifier. For example, Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient and do not always require an external amplifier. However, if you are buying 4 ohm speakers, you will most likely need an external amplifier since very few receivers can support 4 ohm speakers and could damage the receiver , speakers or both.

    I know I threw some terms in there that you may not be familiar with, but please ask any questions that you may have regarding your new endevour.
    got it!

    and my other components would be hooked up to the receiver?

    is the receiver and amp bridged together?

    Ive never seen both in a HT setup so I dont know and Im having trouble visualizing it lol

    might get an XPA-5(plus its soo purdy lol) for my Acoustechs that I will be ordering in Feb

    PSN ID/Live GT: Evoking1230

  5. #1130
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
    got it!

    and my other components would be hooked up to the receiver?

    is the receiver and amp bridged together?

    Ive never seen both in a HT setup so I dont know and Im having trouble visualizing it lol

    might get an XPA-5(plus its soo purdy lol) for my Acoustechs that I will be ordering in Feb
    Yes! Everything will be hooked up to your receiver. When you add an external amp, your receiver then essentially becomes a Pre-amplifier/Processor (Pre/Pro).

    You will need to get 5 nice quality RCA cables to connect between the receiver (via the Pre-Out connections) and the amplifier (unbalanced connections). I use the Emotiva ones. They are nice looking and very well built.

    I don't have any pictures of how mine is connected, but it is pretty self explanatory once you see the connections on the back of your receiver. It doesn't really matter how you plug them into your amplifier, but on my Emotiva XPA-5, I use the center amp for my center channel. The next amps are for the fronts and finally the outer most amps are for the surrounds. I keep both left speakers on the left side and both right speakers on the right side. Like I said it doesn't matter. There should be no better position than another. Just personal preference.
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  6. #1131
    Forum Guru
    R_Mac_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,561
    Rep Power
    62
    Points
    7,220 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evoking1230 View Post
    Ive been looking at the Emotiva's and let me get this straight...

    the Emotiva would be just for powering the speakers?

    Im new to this so I dont quite understand the point of having one AND an A/V receiver
    Just make sure your current receiver has pre-outs for all your channels. I don't remember if you said what receiver you use, but they don't all have pre-outs for every channel.


  7. #1132
    Elite Member
    OwnZilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)


    me likey!




  8. #1133
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Mac_1 View Post
    Just make sure your current receiver has pre-outs for all your channels. I don't remember if you said what receiver you use, but they don't all have pre-outs for every channel.
    Good point! I forgot to mention that critical detail. What model receiver do you have?
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  9. #1134
    Master Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    20,766 (0 Banked)


    my set up redefined from last time, standing nicely at the top of the empire state building!

    Notice i have taken the 60gb PS3 and replaced it with a slim, of which i bought yesterday, which fits perfectly underneath the bottom panel of the tv, phew. have also made sure it doesnt hit as it rotates over too so no worries there!

    Gonna upgrade my TV sometime next year i have decided, planning on getting the 2.7cm thick samsung LED tv's. The price on them seems to be dropping and dropping.

    Now if only they would make a slim 360..........
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

  10. #1135
    Apprentice
    Arn3lis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    498
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    854 (0 Banked)









  11. #1136
    Master Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,978
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    20,766 (0 Banked)
    you are going to need to resize those pictures mate....
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

  12. #1137
    Dedicated Member
    Tven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Items Little Big Planet 2Tommy Vercetti
    sorry to sound n00bish, but what are the recievers for/what is their purpose?
    <img src=http://i.imgur.com/128bn.jpg border=0 alt= />

  13. #1138
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tven View Post
    sorry to sound n00bish, but what are the recievers for/what is their purpose?
    A receiver acts as the central hub for a video/audio system. It allows you to plug multiple devices such as TV's, gaming systems, CD players, BD players, etc. to a single unit. Thus allowing all the devices to utilize the speakers also connected to the receiver.
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  14. #1139
    Veteran
    .RAID3N.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,476
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    951 (6,474 Banked)
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    It also adds power and gives you clearer sound than what you would get from your TV/DVD player. Its really like, the most important part of your home theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

  15. #1140
    Dedicated Member
    Tven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Items Little Big Planet 2Tommy Vercetti
    thanks for the replies guys, sorry to sound so 'tech niave'.........are they pretty easy to buy off the shelf in a store?
    <img src=http://i.imgur.com/128bn.jpg border=0 alt= />

  16. #1141
    Apprentice
    AstroLander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    188
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    680 (0 Banked)
    I've finally completed my 7.1 set up. It consists of:

    Denali Audio Tower
    PS3 60 gb
    Xbox 360 elite
    Onkyo TX-SR806

    Samsung 4665
    LED lighting kit


    JBL CS6100BG for the 5.1, with JBL CS600sat satellites for the rear backs.









    7.1 sounds sick for videogames
    ابقى بعيدا 100 متر انتبه مرور جمال

  17. #1142
    Master Poster
    Smorkin Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,874
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    132 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by .RAID3N. View Post
    It also adds power and gives you clearer sound than what you would get from your TV/DVD player. Its really like, the most important part of your home theater.
    I would kind of agree on this. My surround sound has made my entertainment center (home theater generally refers to an actual theater type experience in the home, fairly expensive and very time consuming to do) in my room awesome. But if I had a little 12 inch TV or something it might detract quite a bit lol. So I mean sound is definitely something that can take a home entertainment center from sweet to AWESOME.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tven View Post
    thanks for the replies guys, sorry to sound so 'tech niave'.........are they pretty easy to buy off the shelf in a store?
    They are pretty easy to purchase...You just hand them your credit card and BAM! It is yours...LOL. Just kidding man. I would recommend perhaps buying what people call a "Home Theater In the Box" (HTiB). Basically this is all your components in one. I know for a fact Onkyo makes some great ones (for sale on Amazon and other retailers I am sure). Basically it would come with the receiver and the speakers you need. For example I bought an Onkyo set up and I got the receiver and 7 speakers and a sub woofer. So I got a center speakers, two front speakers, two rear speakers and two "side" speakers and then the sub woofer. It is really easy to set up. The instructions tell you how to position the speakers, it includes speaker wire (generally long enough), it explains how you can/need to hook up your components, etc.

    Anyways that might be a good place to start. HTiB's are not fore everyone, and some of them can be relatively cheap and not very good. I am sure there are some people on here that can explain it better than I can. It might even be worth going into a brick and mortar store to ask questions (I had a bunch of home theater stores near me when I lived in Colorado). But rest assured, you don't need to pay someone to set one of these up for you, you are perfectly capable of doing it yourself if you are willing to spend some time doing the necessary research and reading the instructions .

  18. #1143
    Dedicated Member
    Tven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Items Little Big Planet 2Tommy Vercetti
    epic explanation mate..............+rep
    <img src=http://i.imgur.com/128bn.jpg border=0 alt= />

  19. #1144
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tven View Post
    thanks for the replies guys, sorry to sound so 'tech niave'.........are they pretty easy to buy off the shelf in a store?
    As Smorkin Panda already said, these are pretty easy to buy.

    He also mentioned a HTiB. I'm really not a fan. I feel that if you are willing to do a little research (and you are already on this forum. There are also others to look at) you can put together a really decent setup that can be more future proofed than most HTiB's.

    For example, if your budget is $600 - 1000, you can get one of the best HTiB's on the market, The Onkyo HT-S6100/S6200 or HT-S7100/S7200. Heck, you can get their top of the line HTiB, the HT-S9100THX. (**These are based off Amazon.com prices.**)

    Now we need to realistically look at the size of your room. What are the dimensions? Will a 7.1 system fit or it is better suited for a 5.1 (I would never try to fit a 7.1 in my 11x15 room). If you decide to go with a 5.1 setup, you can get a lot for that same $600 - 1000 budget.

    Receiver: Yamaha 66x

    There are two models. The older RX-V663 can be found for around $330, while its newer sibling, the RX-V665 is going for $500. The thing I love about these receivers is that they have Pre-outs. This will allow you to add an external amplifier in the even you wish to have more power and provide cleaner signal to your speakers.

    Speakers: There are tons of options here. I'll give you some of my recommendations.

    Polk RM6750: This is a 5.1 speaker set that is currently under $250 at Amazon.com. This is a great starter set and can't be beat for the value.

    Another option is to buy speakers one at a time. For example, start with a pair of fronts. You can get a great set for ~$500. A Pair Of Polk Monitor 70's are going for $249 each on Amazon.

    I also wanted to note, that Newegg.com is also a great place to buy online. They have great prices and great customer support.

    In the end, it is best to try to hear the receiver and speakers in person. Different brands WILL sound different especially when pairs in various combos. Polk speakers may sound different when mated with an Onkyo then with a Yamaha. Only your ears can tell you what sounds good.

    I must warn you. Once you start in this and get bit by the bug, you will contract a disease know as upgraditis. There is no cure and usually gets worse as time goes on.

    Good luck!
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  20. #1145
    Master Poster
    Smorkin Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,874
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    132 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
    As Smorkin Panda already said, these are pretty easy to buy.

    He also mentioned a HTiB. I'm really not a fan. I feel that if you are willing to do a little research (and you are already on this forum. There are also others to look at) you can put together a really decent setup that can be more future proofed than most HTiB's.

    For example, if your budget is $600 - 1000, you can get one of the best HTiB's on the market, The Onkyo HT-S6100/S6200 or HT-S7100/S7200. Heck, you can get their top of the line HTiB, the HT-S9100THX. (**These are based off Amazon.com prices.**)

    Now we need to realistically look at the size of your room. What are the dimensions? Will a 7.1 system fit or it is better suited for a 5.1 (I would never try to fit a 7.1 in my 11x15 room). If you decide to go with a 5.1 setup, you can get a lot for that same $600 - 1000 budget.
    I have the Onkyo one and I actually haven't changed any of the components out yet heh. So that is why I will testify to the HTiB setups. Also I will say that a good idea, in relation to future-proofing, is to get a receiver that is set up for 7.1. I only use 5.1 in my room cause it is relatively small and as Lou said, 11x15 (which is close in square-footage to my room) is kind of small to get any kind of benefit from those extra couple of speakers. Of course we all hear things different heh. But if you spend a little extra money on the receiver to start out with, you open up huge options for upgrading later on, if you feel it is necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
    In the end, it is best to try to hear the receiver and speakers in person. Different brands WILL sound different especially when pairs in various combos. Polk speakers may sound different when mated with an Onkyo then with a Yamaha. Only your ears can tell you what sounds good.

    I must warn you. Once you start in this and get bit by the bug, you will contract a disease know as upgraditis. There is no cure and usually gets worse as time goes on.

    Good luck!
    This I agree with 100%. Hearing the stuff in person is going to be HUGE. Like I said (and so did Lou for that matter) everyone hears things differently. An example is my receiver I have now, I decided, after listening in a Best Buy, that I needed to go with the receiver that allows you to set it up for sound delays via a microphone. So like you sit in your room...No sound...And you set a microphone up where you normally sit. The receiver then puts out test-like sounds from each speaker so it can set a delay depending on how far the sound has to travel and what not. This is a fairly expensive upgrade on a receiver...I looked at a couple different models, one that didn't have it and the next model up that did and it was easily another couple hundred dollars. Granted this was a few years ago heh.

    Anyways I hope that didn't confuse you, I was just trying to get across the point; it is definitely worth it, if you can, to go and listen to anything you are thinking of buying (always better deals online lol). And finally a double warning...It is true, once you get the bug, it is hard to stop. Good luck man .

  21. #1146
    Dedicated Member
    Tven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Items Little Big Planet 2Tommy Vercetti
    i am currently thinking of getting this onkyo receiver : [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onkyo-TX-SR507B-Receiver-HDMI-HDAudio/dp/B0029QCZ92/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260445694&sr =8-3"]Onkyo TX-SR507B AV Receiver HDMI 1.3 X 4 HDAudio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics &amp; Photo[/ame]

    i would definately need to uprate my speakers as well because currently i only have logitech z-4's (2.1). would a receiver have any effect on how these low price 80w speaker set would perform?
    <img src=http://i.imgur.com/128bn.jpg border=0 alt= />

  22. #1147
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tven View Post
    i am currently thinking of getting this onkyo receiver : Onkyo TX-SR507B AV Receiver HDMI 1.3 X 4 HDAudio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics &amp; Photo

    i would definately need to uprate my speakers as well because currently i only have logitech z-4's (2.1). would a receiver have any effect on how these low price 80w speaker set would perform?
    Honestly, yes. But they can do one of two things to them. make them sound better or make them sound worse.

    Sometimes a better receiver can bring out the limitations in speakers.

    How soon do you think you will upgrading your speakers? Have you listened to the Onkyo with the speakers you are considering? This would be the best suggestion I could offer. Listen before you buy.
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  23. #1148
    Dedicated Member
    Tven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Items Little Big Planet 2Tommy Vercetti
    the problem with that is all my surrounding electrical stores dont sell onkyo or any av receivers. i cant think of any nearby specialist av shops. thats why the link is to amazon, so i have no way of test hearing it

    i would ideally want something quite futureproof that could deal with my future speaker upgrades.
    <img src=http://i.imgur.com/128bn.jpg border=0 alt= />

  24. #1149
    Apprentice
    louhamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    42
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    47
    Points
    280 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tven View Post
    the problem with that is all my surrounding electrical stores dont sell onkyo or any av receivers. i cant think of any nearby specialist av shops. thats why the link is to amazon, so i have no way of test hearing it

    i would ideally want something quite futureproof that could deal with my future speaker upgrades.
    Have you gone to the Onkyo website and searched for dealers near you? That's one of the first things I do when I want to audition a new piece of gear.
    Panasonic TH-50PZ850u | Denon 3808ci | Emotiva XPA-5 Amplifier
    Oppo BDP-83 | Sony Playstation 3 | Apple TV | Nintendo Wii
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD
    My HT Setup

  25. #1150
    Dedicated Member
    Tven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    1,627 (0 Banked)
    Items Little Big Planet 2Tommy Vercetti
    i can only find onkyo US dealers :S

    so therefore i assume this reciever i mentioned above wont be Uk compatible

    there are a few nice clooking yamaha ones tho, so i'll try to find a stockist of those


    ...........but otherwise i have obtained temporary usage of a panasonic 330w 5.1 system ............ the sound from that at the mo is good, but im hopeful a reciever will make it great
    <img src=http://i.imgur.com/128bn.jpg border=0 alt= />

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.