Latest PSU headlines:

Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4353 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1399
    Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    The Emotiva XPA-3 amp is my newest piece that I just added a few days ago, and I'm not sure if I had posted my DefTech SM450's before or not. The amp is a 3 channel amp and I have it powering my front left, center, and front right speakers. I'm not sure how quick it will happen but next on the list is a new (bigger) center.
    Nice setup. As you may have noticed, I have a couple Emotiva mono-blocks in my main setup. They make some nice stuff at a good price (especially with their sale prices).

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
    Nice setup. As you may have noticed, I have a couple Emotiva mono-blocks in my main setup. They make some nice stuff at a good price (especially with their sale prices).
    I absolutely agree. I'm still waiting on my cables to come in before I put some serious time into testing the amp, but even with some garbage rca's I found in a box somewhere, I am noticing some differences. The most obvious being the lower dB rating I need to set the AVR to in order to fill the room with the same level of sound as before I had the amp. I think moving forward I am going to continue moving towards separates and maybe grab some mono-blocks, or maybe 2x two channel amps with whatever Pre/Pro I end up getting. But alas that is a long time away at this point .

How long have you had your UPA1's?

Have an AV/Home Theater question? Send me a PM and I'll be glad to help!
    Blu-ray.com - My HT Setup
    AVSForum - My HT Setup

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I have had the UPA-1s since April. They sound great with my speakers, so I am happy with them. I am still on the fence about whether I want to add more amps to the setup. I mainly listen to two channel critically for music and I am happy with the 4311ci onboard amps for everything else. However, adding an XPA-5 would give me flexibility down the road, more power, and more blue lights. ....all things that I like.

Master Poster
    and more blue lights. ....all things that I like.
    Haha! I'm the same way. When I was making the transaction for the XPA-3 the guy was telling me about a switch in the back of the amp that could turn the lights off. I just looked at him with a face like "why would I ever want to turn off the blue lights?!?" haha.

Here's a rather significant update to my setup. New speaker, but also a lot of rearranging of the room as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grabbed myself a C/L/R 2002 recently! With the new DefTech 8000 series speakers that are out I noticed how much the price of the C/L/R 2002's had dropped, and I simply could not resist the temptation to upgrade while the prices were as good as they were. Once the C/L/R arrived my sneaking suspicions were realized in that the new speaker wasn't going to fit on the shelf of my TV stand, and without the ability to mount my TV the speaker obviously wasn't going to fit on the top of the TV stand either. After a bit of research I saw a few options in how I could manage the setup, but I decided to take the cheapest route and I just slapped the speaker on a small end table that I already had. With the added space the table was going to eat up in front of my TV now, I decided to basically shift all of my living room 90 degrees to the left, and this allowed me to more comfortably setup the front sound stage since the listening area was now using the length of the room to its advantage.

While I was rearranging my whole living room, I decided to throw together a HTPC out of some old computer parts I had around, and that is the new little black box that is sitting next to the SM450 on the right side. Currently I have a small monitor placed by the HTPC while I continue to configure it, but I already have the computer setup for remote access so I can just login from my main PC and manage the content from there. Right now the biggest function I have planned for this PC is music streaming. I'm a Pandora One customer, so I have the Pandora One gadget setup on there, and I have my local music being shared over the network as well so I can use a standard music player and play my songs over the DefTech's. I suppose Netflix and Hulu should stream okay on the HTPC as well, but I'm not sure how the aging hardware inside will handle the High Def content. When I get around to it I'll probably pick up an RF/Bluetooth keyboard with a touchpad built-in, or maybe one of those motion air mice that you essentially wave around like a Wii controller (cool but expensive).

Also while doing all the rearranging, I decided to finally take out my two additional ProMonitor800's and I mounted them on the walls as my Surround's, and moved the other two (on the stands) to the Surround-Back positions. When I had the setup the short length of the room I just setup the 5.1 because it sounded good enough, and honestly I just couldn't be bothered with mounting etc while I was initially moving in. Now that I had more room and time, I decided to do it right and get the fruits of 7.1 once again.

Well, that's about it for now. Thanks for reading! Here are a slew of new pictures to check out. Let me know what you think (or if you have any questions or recommendations) by replying in the thread.

TV: Panasonic TH-50PZ700U Plasma
    Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-3
    Receiver: Denon AVR-2808ci
    Speakers:
    Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450's (L/R)
    Definitive Technology C/L/R 2002 (C)
    Definitive Technology Pro Sub 800 (SW)
    Definitive Technology Pro Monitors x4 (Rears)
    Power Conditioner: Panamax 5300MX Power Conditioner
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 890 + Sony PS3 BR Remote

AVSForum - My HT Setup

5. Likes F34R likes this post

Awsome!

Dedicated Member
    badz, have you thought about mounting the center channel over the TV?

I like your equipment. I love to see others with Denon, Emotiva, etc..great stuff! I have the free version of Pandora that I use for background music on occasion, since it is built into the receiver, but I prefer MOG (which for home use only is around $5 a month) because it streams 320kbps.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What puts me off having surround setup is all the wires everywhere it makes a nice system look ugly as heck.

Master Poster
    badz, have you thought about mounting the center channel over the TV?

I like your equipment. I love to see others with Denon, Emotiva, etc..great stuff! I have the free version of Pandora that I use for background music on occasion, since it is built into the receiver, but I prefer MOG (which for home use only is around $5 a month) because it streams 320kbps.
    I thought about a stand that mounted/sat on the top of the TV, but it was a bit expensive and I also didn't like the idea of having the center so much higher than my L/R. Even if I angled it I just felt like it would stretch the sound stage or something and I decided to stay away from it. I changed the table the CC is sitting on so now it isn't quite as high and now I can see the whole TV while sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    What puts me off having surround setup is all the wires everywhere it makes a nice system look ugly as heck.
    Currently I live in an apartment with a year lease so it's not worth my time to get serious with my wire management. If I owned a house and this was a dedicated room, you better believe I'd be running wires in-wall with face plate connections and all the likes

As far as the quality of sound, I can't ever go back to listening the mono-speaker that was integrated into my 27" Sanyo tv while watching movies or playing games. I'm willing to bet I will have a good quality surround sound system for the rest of my life just because it adds so much to my experience(s).

AVSForum - My HT Setup

floyd84s
    so cool , I like it

Master Poster
    As I revisited the thread I realize I didn't do a good job at responding to this part of your post last time - 1st thank you! As I've said before I really dig your gear as well. I've never heard of MOG before but from reading the one line description on Google, I wonder if it is similar to Grooveshark. Personally I'm a set it and forget it kind of music listener. I can't be bothered making specific playlist's, it's just really inconvenient for me. I love the fact that I can choose a style/genre and just let it play by itself. Pandora definitely use to be annoying with the ads and eve more so when it would pause itself and show the "are you still there?" message. Again two reasons why I decided to bite the bullet for the year subscription. I'm not ready to upgrade my AVR just yet, but when I do I'm going to be looking for either a dedicated processor that has networking integrated, or I'll just have to go with networked AVR and bypass the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd84s View Post
    so cool , I like it
    Thanks!

AVSForum - My HT Setup

Dedicated Member
    As I revisited the thread I realize I didn't do a good job at responding to this part of your post last time - 1st thank you! As I've said before I really dig your gear as well. I've never heard of MOG before but from reading the one line description on Google, I wonder if it is similar to Grooveshark. Personally I'm a set it and forget it kind of music listener. I can't be bothered making specific playlist's, it's just really inconvenient for me. I love the fact that I can choose a style/genre and just let it play by itself. Pandora definitely use to be annoying with the ads and eve more so when it would pause itself and show the "are you still there?" message. Again two reasons why I decided to bite the bullet for the year subscription. I'm not ready to upgrade my AVR just yet, but when I do I'm going to be looking for either a dedicated processor that has networking integrated, or I'll just have to go with networked AVR and bypass the amp.
    MOG has features similar to Pandora in the fact that it will allow you to pick an artist and it will play them and play similar artists. However, it has a slider that will allow you to play "Artist Only" (which Pandora doesn't have) or as you slide it to the right it will add more and more artists. I never listen to playlists. I mainly listen to individual albums, but on my main system, I want them to be in a higher bitrate than Pandora delivers.

Also, my Denon receiver (4311CI) has Pandora built in, but even if you pay, they don't bump up the bitrate. Their pay plan only puts out their higher bitrate (192kbps) via computer. I still listen to it for background music when I am doing things around the house, but MOG (320kbps) sounds better.

Anyway, if you don't care about music sound quality, that is cool, too....most people don't.
    Last edited by uofmtiger; 08-01-2011 at 21:05.

Master Poster
    MOG has features similar to Pandora in the fact that it will allow you to pick an artist and it will play them and play similar artists. However, it has a slider that will allow you to play "Artist Only" (which Pandora doesn't have) or as you slide it to the right it will add more and more artists. I never listen to playlists. I mainly listen to individual albums, but on my main system, I want them to be in a higher bitrate than Pandora delivers.

Also, my Denon receiver (4311CI) has Pandora built in, but even if you pay, they don't bump up the bitrate. Their pay plan only puts out their higher bitrate (192kbps) via computer. I still listen to it for background music when I am doing things around the house, but MOG (320kbps) sounds better.

Anyway, if you don't care about music sound quality, that is cool, too....most people don't.
    That sounds like a very cool feature with the slider bar. As far as audio quality, I have the equipment so I might as well use it right? That's part of my mentality. On the other hand, I'm a cheap person who enjoys ease of use as well. So far my only snag with MOG is its price point, but with that said it really sounds like it has the best of both worlds when compared to pandora. MOG has the set it and forget abilities but with the higher bitrate. We shall see, I have probably 9-10months left on this pandora subcription :-/ but MOG is now officially on my radar.

AVSForum - My HT Setup

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Woah! You guys got some some serious $#@! there. I guess mine is just too drab.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

cool sam
    YEA there are so many hardcore gamers out there

wow nice stups, will try to post mine soon just moved so will take a while

Awesome, thanks for sharing..!

Apprentice
    Items Google Chrome

Last edited by BlueBiggieKat; 11-13-2011 at 17:24.

PSN ID
    TeKn1qe187

My Setup

Quick pics of my setup:

60" Sony Bravia 60A3000

Harmon Kardan AVR525

JBL Surround w/10" powered 300 watt sub(soon to all be upgraded after the holidays)

PS3 Slim 500gb WD Scorpio

PS1

Monster Power Center

Assorted Collector's \ Limited Edition's and gaming merchandise.

"Men of PS3" shelf with collectible figures

All items are PS3 i think i might have 3 collectors editions for xbox 360

Currently up to 96 PS3 games. Favorite piece for 360: Gears 3 Retro Lancer

IMG_2316.jpgIMG_2317.jpgIMG_2321.jpgIMG_2322.jpgIMG_2323.jpg
    BIG BAD BRUINS FAN--GO BRUINS!!
    Check me out on FB @ https://www.facebook.com/TeKn1qe

20. Likes F34R , Nitey likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Awesome!

Dedicated Member
    Nice, I have a 60A3000, too.

I updated my office, so I thought I would update this thread while I am here:

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    You have a very nice office.Its very colourful.

FükenMüven
    Nice, I have a 60A3000, too.

I updated my office, so I thought I would update this thread while I am here:

this makes me wonder, does it ever get warm in there with all that equipment on? I know my room with my 50" panny plasma, ps3 and surround sound does.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FükenMüven View Post
    this makes me wonder, does it ever get warm in there with all that equipment on? I know my room with my 50" panny plasma, ps3 and surround sound does.
    The monitors are LCDs and the PS3 is in another room, so the only thing that gets hot is the computers and hard drives. If I am running handbrake or another taxing program, I just flip the overhead fan on medium instead of low (which is my default fan speed) and it solves the problem.

You have a very nice office.Its very colourful.
    Thanks, it has been a project that has taken a while to get where I wanted it.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I would post mine but there's nothing special about it. My phillips tv is 22 inches big.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Apprentice
    I'm going to charge my camera and post some pics.
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”― Oscar Wilde

Thread Information