Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

120Hz Refresh on PS3?

Over the weekend I purchased a new 40" Samsung. It is capable of a 120Hz refresh rate, however when connected to the PS3 via HDMI it says its only doing 60. I've checked everywhere on both the settings but can't find anything. Is it possible to change the refresh rate for the PS3 to 120?

REFLEX
    The PS3 is sending 60 to the TV. Your TV will display it in 120hz natively. So don't worry.

You are already getting what you are asking for.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by REFLEX View Post
    The PS3 is sending 60 to the TV. Your TV will display it in 120hz natively. So don't worry.

You are already getting what you are asking for.
    When I look at the display info on the TV, it says its only putting out 60Hz though...

Apprentice
    What it shows is that the signal being sent to the TV is 60Hz. Your TV will always output 120Hz, no matter what kind of signal is being sent to it, as long as it's compatible. Although the PS3 is only outputting the signal in 60Hz your TV is showing each frame twice to make it 120Hz. I'm not sure if the PS3 can output in 120Hz, that information is beyond my knowledge. Hopefully someone that knows this will come in and clear it up.
    Ok, someone wants to die. Who changed my background to a picture of Mr. Clean?!?

REFLEX
    But the games are at 60hz.... and that goes fine into 120hz. You are fine! Your PS3 can only output what is is outputting, you can't change it at the source. Your TVs refresh rate is locked at 120hz. You can't change that, everything it shows you is being put into 120hz refresh rate for your eyes. Your TV is telling you what its getting.

Apprentice
    But the games are at 60hz.... and that goes fine into 120hz. You are fine! Your PS3 can only output what is is outputting, you can't change it at the source. Your TVs refresh rate is locked at 120hz. You can't change that, everything it shows you is being put into 120hz refresh rate for your eyes. Your TV is telling you what its getting.
    Makes sense. Thanks for the help guys. +rep

Master Poster
    What effect do 100hz tvs have on this? As it's not dividable by 60 as a whole.
    Poop, scoop and shoot.
    My band: http://soundcloud.com/nionabeo

Apprentice
    Also with the 120hz displays you can watch bluray movies at 24fps the way they were shot.

leukoplast
    How does the 120hz look with games? Cause while its not a 'true' 120hz, it still should add that weird look to things. Cause with movies, there is such an odd feeling that your watching a video taping (like with a video camera), instead of film.

Apprentice
    that odd look only comes when you turn on the automotion plus(on samsung) or whatever it maybe called which is extra processing.

I have the new panasonic 50" PZ85U with 120hz...and COD4 on my PS3 is insanely beautiful....then again i'm an AV noob......it's very smooth and not at all choppy if that's worth anything...

aphxtwinin
    Quote Originally Posted by leukoplast View Post
    How does the 120hz look with games? Cause while its not a 'true' 120hz, it still should add that weird look to things. Cause with movies, there is such an odd feeling that your watching a video taping (like with a video camera), instead of film.
    yea i actually do not like the way that looks...its too weird. i feel like im watching behind the scenes footage.

REFLEX
    The extra processing is like "Motion Flow", other companies call it different names. But it is not meant for watching movies and stuff. It is more meant for watching sports or something.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    just like Reflex always says....your TV will output at its specs no matter what the input signal is....if you have a 1080p TV you are technically always seeing 1080p....if your input is 720p your TV is just scaling the image...its the same way with the new 120hz sets...your Sammy is ALWAYS outputting at 120hz...

and keep me updated on that 650!! lol its my next tv as soon as i know its been fixed...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    my friend has the 120 hert samsung you have to put the 120 on in the options

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    Are you talking about the "Auto Motion Plus"? That is a motion accelerator similar to Sharp's "Vyper Drive" I believe. I don't think that actually turns on the 120Hz or not, because thats either on or off. In the menu you are talking about there are options for "off...low...medium...high...demo." I don't really see how you can have "low" 120Hz or "medium" 120Hz etc...

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    what model does he have? if its one of the newer models are you sure you're not talking about the AMP feature? the AMP feature and 120hz are 2 TOTALLY different things....

as far as 120hz, its just the TV's refresh rate...most of your older HDTV's and even most new ones are going to be 60hz....trying to keep it really simple...movies are filed at 24fps...and unfortunately 24 does not go into 60 evenly so the TV has to make up for the fact that not all frames can be displayed evenly and you can have problems...with 120hz, it can display all of the frames evenly...and in theory gives you a smoother picture...is it actually better? thats for the individual to decide....

now AMP is a whole different beast...which involves the TV literally inserting frames that don't exist in an attempt to smooth things out...you can end up with something that is being called the "Soap Opera Effect" which i've seen on Sammy 71 series TV's with AMP turned on....for some reason or another, you get some serious POP from the picture, but to my eyes it seems as though everything on screen is moving at like 1.3x speed or something...seems weird...

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    what model does he have? if its one of the newer models are you sure you're not talking about the AMP feature? the AMP feature and 120hz are 2 TOTALLY different things....
    I think he's talking about the thing I just said. Am I right in what I said in my last post? I don't want to put out bad information...

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by leukoplast View Post
    I turned on motion flow while playing uncharted, and it looked so wierd that it was cool. But then I turned it off because its not meant for video games, and I can't imagine playing even a whole level with it on.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

REFLEX
    Motion Flow or the "Full, Medium or Low" options are different from 120hz refresh rate!

The other stuff is pretty strange processing.... I don't think its very good stuff, it shouldn't be used with anything other than sports or something similar. DEFINITELY NOT for movies and stuff.

Master Poster
    Right. I honestly didn't know today that motion flow didn't enable 120hz, but that it was completely different. I think I read your earlier post in this thread to learn that haha.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-nihilo7 View Post
    Right. I honestly didn't know today that motion flow didn't enable 120hz, but that it was completely different. I think I read your earlier post in this thread to learn that haha.
    you're not alone in this....many thought the same thing...

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stringfellow hawk View Post
    Also with the 120hz displays you can watch bluray movies at 24fps the way they were shot.
    My Sony TV tells me my blu rays are playing 1080/24 and it's not a 120hz model.
    Setup: Mircosoft XBox 360 Elite + Sony PS3 250GB, Toshiba 32" LCD TV and Toshiba SW1000 Sub.
    Gamertag - Michael Hardman
    PSN - MichaelHardman
    Warhawk Dedicated Ranked Server - [UK]WarhawkServer Warhawk Clan - [UK]Warhawkarians

REFLEX
    You don't need a 120hz TV to accept 1080p/24 material.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    hmm interesting ... i was looking at new tvs... and saw a demo'd sammy with that crappy motionplus thing... the guy was playing transformers and it looked super weird... i asked if that was because it was 120 he said yes.. so i assumed all 120 sets just displayed in that motion plus mode.... good to know i can get a 120 set and not make it look weird XD
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Thread Information