Latest PSU headlines:

Jack007

Stranglehold Online

One of the funnest games Ive played on the Ps3, The online is spectacular to. Slow motion diving and all is great and entertaining.

Anyone else have Stranglehold for the Ps3?

Try the demo in the PS store and judge for yourself.

Here is some online game play for Stranglehold on the ps3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1vX_siRx6k4

Dedicated Member
    yup, i admit, stranglehold is a great innovative game, where jumping around in slow motion never gets old. but still, theres so many more games coming out, i just wont have time to play it. i'll buy it eventually.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack007 View Post
    One of the funnest games Ive played on the Ps3, The online is spectacular to. Slow motion diving and all is great and entertaining.

Anyone else have Stranglehold for the Ps3?

Try the demo in the PS store and judge for yourself.

Here is some online game play for Stranglehold on the ps3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1vX_siRx6k4
    Yeah, I reviewed it back when it came out. A gave it a 7.5/10. You probably would give it a 9. I hate base-10 or base-5 scoring for games. I desperately want a thumbs-up/thumbs-down sort of system to become standard, but I'm required to score on our x/10 scale. So let me explain my score:

I do think it's a great, fun game and the Woo-style cinematography -- of course he was heavily involved in the game's production -- was outstanding in both slow-motion, "bullet-cam" (whatever they called it, I can't recall, oh there it is: "precision aim") shooting, and full-speed combat scenes.

The reasons the score was "low" -- really just average: there were some technical problems with perspective, collision detection, and the way-finding system implemented with glowing structures in the single-player campaign. I also thought the level design was spot-on for a 120-minute John Woo film but lacking for a game averaging about 15 hours of play. Also, the multiplayer is hilariously chaotic, which is mad fun, but it is not the kind of multiplayer that to the dedicated online shooter gamer. It's total mayhem and the online shooter aficionado wants control, to feel as if his "skill" at in "aiming", etc., really matters.

So, ultimately, I had to score as I saw it. I do really like it, though. I wrote this, "Graphically excellent, filled with raw action and superior, innovative animation, where 'Stranglehold' falls apart is in length and level design." I thought the single-player campaign should have been shorter; based on the mission objectives and level design, a short game is all that was supported; and I am not at all opposed to good, short games -- even at full price.

Do give you a comparison so you can frame my score within the context of your enjoyment of the game: I did not review Bioshock, but I played it. It was getting scores of 9.9 and 10, called the best shooter to come along in years, etc. I would have given it an 8.3 - 8.5 for numerous flaws. To wit: Exceptionally difficult very early into the game to extend a short game when a short game would have been just fine. Plot was somewhat novel for video game but entirely derivative of innumerable films and novels of the last fifty years or so. Puzzle design was flawed as puzzles could be, and often were, generated that could not be solved by any means on the first try. This violates the first rule of puzzle design: a puzzle in any iteration must be soluble in at least one way, no matter how improbable it is you will find that way within the time limit if there is a time limit. Also, the art direction was outstanding, but it irked me that architectural period for the construction of the underwater haven gone awry, Rapture, was wrong. Rapture was built in the mid-1950s, according to the game. It was constructed in deco style. Deco was stone dead by 1940, and did not experience a revival -- mostly in graphic art and other visual art, not architecture -- until the late 1960s and 1970s. In the mid-1950s, the last architectural style an avowed *futurist* building his vision of a perfect enclave for the world's arts, science and academic elite would have been defunct deco. (I've discussed this with a few people; they say the team just like the style and didn't care. I contend, based on producer Levine's preoccupation with Ayn Rand, the team certainly would have cared about period accuracy, but they did not know and did not bother to look it up. Rand's novel "Atlas Shrugged" was of primary influence on the Rapture setting. There are no explicit timeframes in most of Rand's novels, but almost all her fiction is written in the 1930s period. Deco was big news in the 1930s and the obvious architectural style of Rand's cities -- in fact she was inspired to write "Anthem" from observing a new deco building -- but I contend Levine and team were fooled by the fact "Atlas Shrugged", written over years, was finally *published* in 1957. They confused the publication date of the novel with the architectural period of the novel, since there is no explicit timeframe in the novel.)

Wait a minute, this was about "Stranglehold"! Sorry, I digressed explaining the way I score games. Yeah, it's a good fun, game. If I could have my thumbs or up or down system, definite thumbs up. And there is indeed reasonably priced extra DLC for multiplayer on the PS Store. A game well worth owning, if only for the fact, with Woo's lead, they pulled off the great action director's signature visual style to perfection in a game -- and I *really* had my doubts the could, going in, as several studios have tried and come up quiet short.

Jack007

true

Quote Originally Posted by ps3_spid3y View Post
    yup, i admit, stranglehold is a great innovative game, where jumping around in slow motion never gets old. but still, theres so many more games coming out, i just wont have time to play it. i'll buy it eventually.
    Yes true, everyone will be on gta iv, mgs4 and cod 4, but never the less, you can still come back to this game for 10 minz and have some matrix style gameplay fun !

Apprentice
    I haven't bought the game yet but I loved the demo.

I'm also a huge fan of the John Woo/Chow Yun Fat team up in their heroic bloodshed flicks.
    The Killer, being my favourite.
    I do still plan on getting this game, especially since it's only $40 over here.
    Chow Yun Fat is a legend!

Elite Member
    tried out the demo and it was pretty fun. i'm definitely picking up the collector's edition.

Thread Information