Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    40s
    Guest

    New Nintendo Interview

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/20/t...-vice-preside/
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=11909


    Basically Nintendo is saying that their strategy is to make great games, and Microsoft and $ony's strategies are to get you to put a PC in your living room, make you buy HD TVs and restock your movie collection respectively.

    "We want to create a system with Revolution that appeals to all types of gamers versus going down a path that, frankly, is a bit exclusionary...

    ...They have gone down a path that is very expensive for consumers, very expensive for developers to create content against"
    ...Microsoft and Sony strategies are based on overall corporate objectives versus what's right for the consumer. That's a reality. Microsoft is essentially trying to get you to put a PC in your living room because they are fundamentally a PC software company. Sony is trying to get you to put an entertainment hub that has Blu-ray technology because that's important to their movie business and the rest of their entire electronics business."

  2. #2
    Forum Elder

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Earth...wonderful place really
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    191 (0 Banked)
    Riiiiiiiiight... I don't think so... All the game makers are in this for the money, we are simply lucky that the business that they excell in makes us so darned happy

    I think ol Reggie comes off a tad snobby in this interview...Nintendo isn't perfect nor is Sony or MS...Come on back down to earth Reg...next gen awaits
    "For though we may pledge fanboy alliegances to different flags, we all have one master...one king and his name is gaming! FOREVER MAY HE REIGN!" Kevin Butler, E3 2010 Sony press conference

  3. #3
    St Jude
    Guest
    Well if you can find a flaw in what he's said "lordmadjack" please do...

    Peter Moore has even said the 360 is a trojan horse to control people's living-room. Sony call the PS3 an "Entertainment Super-Computer". If Sony wanted to put out purely a games machine, it would have done just that.

    Reggie's just pointed out that Nintendo are soley a games company and are not working to a different end...like Microsoft and Sony are for the living-room space. It's not a bad thing it's just a diffrent strategy that incorporated fusing entertainment use with video-games. It means focusing on more then one thing. And he has just pointed out it will be expensive for both the developer and consumer. If you believe other-wise fair enough...but do please explain why so we can all understand your point of view.

    St Jude

  4. #4
    40s
    Guest
    Yeah, you can't refute anything he said about M$ and $ony strategies. Nintendo has one goal, to sell you games. But $ony and M$ want to sell you games computers HD TVs over glorified DVD players for $700, and anything else.

  5. #5
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    The thing that's turned me off to the Xbox since day one, back in 2001, is that it is a computer dressed up like a console. For the longest time, Nintendo and Sony made gaming consoles, and all was well. But Microsoft isn't a console maker. They're computer makers. So now they make this computer and call it a console.

    And as I recall, both Nintendo and Sony fans criticized MS for making this console/computer freak of nature, and yet, Sony is now following the same path. Why? Sony PS2 was a great GAMING machine. It also played DVDs. Nice. Gaming consoles don't need all that extra garbage. Look at the PSP. It tries to be everything in one, but isn't succeeding with any of it. iPods are ruling the world when it comes to media, the DS is ruling the world when it comes to games.

    I like what Nintendo is doing, and I'm not so sure I like the direction Sony is headed. It's like they called MS out on their attempts to make a computer and call it a console, and now they're doing the same thing. I say boo to that. Let's stick to doing what we do best, which is games. Let MS charge their fans $600 for their computer.

  6. #6
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    545
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    All three of the consoles are trying to take the place of being the center of your home theatre/living room/entertainment etc. Xbox 360 doesthis in an okay way. Yeah, it can play games and dvds and you can use its live service, but its DVD player is supposed to suck (idk ive never used it). PS3 is trying to be by Possibly Having an OS, Bluray player, dvd player, and possibly many other functions. Im not sure wat REVO is thinking...it cant even play DVDs out of the box. Personally, I want my mp3 player as my mp3 player, my console for my games, my computer just for computer use, etc.

  7. #7
    St Jude
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Playstation3 4 Lyfe
    All three of the consoles are trying to take the place of being the center of your home theatre/living room/entertainment etc. Xbox 360 doesthis in an okay way. Yeah, it can play games and dvds and you can use its live service, but its DVD player is supposed to suck (idk ive never used it). PS3 is trying to be by Possibly Having an OS, Bluray player, dvd player, and possibly many other functions. Im not sure wat REVO is thinking...it cant even play DVDs out of the box. Personally, I want my mp3 player as my mp3 player, my console for my games, my computer just for computer use, etc.
    You went around in circles there...and your point was never made...

    You start off saying Nintendo want to be in the centre of the living-room with the Revolution...but how can that be if it doesn't have any multi-media functionality like the 360 and PS3?

    You even said it doesn't play DVD's out of the box. I know if I wanted to control the living-room a DVD drive is a good place to start. What about Nintendo's HD capabilities...Nintendo have said the Revolution will not be HD compatiable. The only thing it has that might be considered multi-functional is that it might come with a hard-drive but I think Nintendo would release it purely as a storage device for the back-catalogue rather then storage for music and photo's and movies which we know the Revolution won't have. It will have an add-on but it will be up to Revolution owners to buy that add-on.

    But enough of that...

    So how exactly is Nintendo going to try and control the living-room if it doesn't have any HD or DVD capabilities?

    The answer is very simple...Nintendo don't want to control your living-room, they are very comfortable with just a place somewhere in it, as purely a gaming machine. Just like the GCN, N64...none of which were multi-media machines of any kind.

    St Jude

  8. #8
    Forum Elder

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Earth...wonderful place really
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    191 (0 Banked)
    The bottom line is all business' are in this for one thing... to make a profit.

    Does this mean they don't care about the consumer? Well Reggie certainly paints that picture about MS and Sony...and his company is just as guilty, but of course these companies care, if they didn't they wouldn't work hard to please their fanbase... Sony and MS are pushing for a truely immersive and almost movie like experience...Nintedo is going for a kind of virtaul experience I have no beefs with that...

    Also sales prove people like multimedia functionallity the origanal PS merely had CD, but it started somthing...all my friends who own a 360 enjoy the various functions it has ALONG with gaming

    As far as $$$ is concerned as time and hardware increases so will cost...thats a given, both the Box and PS2 cost $299 at release, better hardware = higher cost even Nintedo is guilty here...If those who can't afford a PS3 or 360 buy a Rev well then Kudos, I hope they enjoy the great game experience that Nintendo always delivers
    If this happens in mass then perhaps Nintendo can take the lead back...

    In my opinion the reason the "revolution" was created was because Nintendo knows that they have pretty much lost the main consumer base which both MS and Sony are geared towards...I may be wrong but thats my opinion...

    Lastly the "exclutionary" thing is in my opinion also fairly stupid, both MS and Sony have put out game that appeal from children to adults...Nintendo has barely breached the teen line "Metroid"...I also believe thats why Nintendo adopted the "kiddy" image...

    Don't get me wrong I own an NES GB GBA SP SNES and Cube, I love Mario Link Samus and DK...SSBM is one of my favorite games of all time, but Nintendo DOES appeal more to children than teens and adults...

    In the end I don't know who will win, how TRUELY powerful one system will be or how fun it will be, I happen to be saving for a PS3, then a Rev and then a 360...As a gamer I enjoy what is delivered, but I'm also a realist and sadly my Cube is currently the least used of the three systems I own.

  9. #9
    St Jude
    Guest
    I agree on the most part...lordmadjack...

    Obviously they all care about $$$...that can't be denied.

    The GCN was the cheaper of the PS2 and X-Box...because it didn't have any multi-media features, which effectively allowed Nintendo to profit on every console ever sold for the GCN. According to some reports they only ever made a loss of $10 per unit and that only lasted for 3-6 months in Japan due to the price of a certain component going up due to a shortage by the manufactuer. Nintendo won't put anything in their hardware if it isn't something they can make a profit on...The Revolution will be no different.

    As I read a couple of months ago...I think by a PC magazine. Nintendo are like Muhammad Ali vs George Foreman in the "Rumble in the Jungle". Nintendo is using the Ali "Rope-A-Dope" strategy. They let Microsoft and Sony pummel and tire each other out...and then they'll spring them in a later generation maybe 5 to 10 years from now. Nintendo are thinking more long-term it seems and there is money to be made but not the sort of money Sony and Microsoft are throwing in the ring to fight for...Microsoft threw 4 billion dollars away just to get into the video-games market...and some say the video-games market is only worth between 6 billion to 10 billion dollars...

    In essence us the consumer are getting the benefit of this console war...as they are each competing so aggresively for sales etc...that they (microsoft and Sony) will be the one's to lose out in the end. Atleast this is what I think Nintendo are counting on...

  10. #10
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Playstation3 4 Lyfe
    All three of the consoles are trying to take the place of being the center of your home theatre/living room/entertainment etc. Xbox 360 doesthis in an okay way. Yeah, it can play games and dvds and you can use its live service, but its DVD player is supposed to suck (idk ive never used it). PS3 is trying to be by Possibly Having an OS, Bluray player, dvd player, and possibly many other functions. Im not sure wat REVO is thinking...it cant even play DVDs out of the box. Personally, I want my mp3 player as my mp3 player, my console for my games, my computer just for computer use, etc.
    It's cool if that's what you're looking for, but I already have my DVD player, MP3 player, computer to download music, etc... I don't want/need that for my console as well.

    Many people, when the consoles were first announced, said that the Rev could possibly be a great 2nd console. If you want your PS3 or 360 for your media-hub, and your Rev for your games only, particularly because of the lower price.

    I'm glad the Rev is going for a games only approach. It's what I've always loved about them, and what I liked about the PS2. Sure, it played DVDs, but that's all. It didn't try to replace my computer. I'm still extremely excited about the PS3, but I'm more excited about the Rev now.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    The Chocobo Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,814
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    I would love to have a ps3 hub in my room. seeing that I don't get out much I would love to enjoy something like this.

  12. #12
    St Jude
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chocobo Kid
    I would love to have a ps3 hub in my room. seeing that I don't get out much I would love to enjoy something like this.
    Hmm...

    You should get out more... What's stopping you? Do you live in a rough area? The area you live in has no place of interest to hand out at?
    Find a girl... They usually take up a lot time...so much so you lose track of it and you find out 6 years have passed by...

  13. #13
    Dedicated Member
    Jap Attack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,470
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    974 (0 Banked)
    I honestly love the fact that the PS3/360 are trying to be the hub of our homes. I don't want a billion things connected to my t.v. Looks Messy. Blu-ray player, TiVo, Console, Media Center, etc. I'd rather have it all in one. PLus its cheaper. Would you rather invest in all of that seperately or just one unit? Which one would be cheaper? PS3 is what i'm going with. And last time i checked the PSP is beating the DS in sales, So the PSP is going places my friends. UMD movie's are selling, the games are finally coming along, and we'll get a huge nice update for the PSP when the PS3 comes out. Yea i know consoles are for gaming, but who said thats all they can do?

  14. #14
    St Jude
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    And last time i checked the PSP is beating the DS in sales, So the PSP is going places my friends. UMD movie's are selling, the games are finally coming along, and we'll get a huge nice update for the PSP when the PS3 comes out. Yea i know consoles are for gaming, but who said thats all they can do?
    Mhuaaahhhahhahaha... DS is still beating the PSP world-wide...check your figures.

    Take a look at news from Sony in their press releases in the last 2 weeks from their movie subsidaries who are making less UMD movies... secondly if you like console ports for a portable handeld yay for you and I hope it makes you happy...

    I have a PSP with Luminies..Wipe-Out Pure....oh and Spider-Man UMD that was bundled with it. It's sitting on a shelf and hasn't been touched for weeks...Luminies is by far the best game on the PSP though...so bloody addictive and I played it for weeks if not months...no other game comes close on the PSP...but that's it for me in terms of PSP games except maybe Wipe-Out for which I got for nostagic reasons ...wanted to play Wipe-Out again..as the last time I played it was on the PSX and thought it would be cool to have a handheld version and it is very good... it got repetitive quick but that's ok I never expected much replay value...I enjoyed my sessions on it and that's what I want...to enjoy my games.

    As a hand-held the PSP is selling well. But it isn't shifting software...or UMD's...thus movie studio's cutting back on releases and production. People are using the PSP as a portable movie device but transfering their own movies from PC...transfering music and other stuff...like *cough*roms*cough*...(remember don't update the firmware :P )

    The PSP has strong sales but for all the wrong reasons that Sony wants it to... If people don't buy UMD's and games...which is what is happening...it's not a worthwhile venture for Sony...as the PSP is suppose to be a platform for games and movies...Sony makes their money off software and UMD's and accesories...not on the PSP hardware sales.

    St Jude

  15. #15
    Dedicated Member
    Jap Attack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,470
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    974 (0 Banked)
    Mhuaaahhhahhahaha... DS is still beating the PSP world-wide...check your figures.

    Take a look at news from Sony in their press releases in the last 2 weeks from their movie subsidaries who are making less UMD movies... secondly if you like console ports for a portable handeld yay for you and I hope it makes you happy...
    Well fine the DS did take its lead back, but the PSP is very, very close. Even thou it didnt launch everywhere at once or anywhere close to the dates the PSP is keeping the handheld industry interesting. Yea there making less movies, but people are still buying them. No one expecting the UMD format to be such a big hit. Then compare the prices of the handhelds.

    The PSP is a $100 more yet the sales between the to are very close. The PSP also brought adult gaming to the handheld just like what it did with the PS1. Nintendo is constantly holding us teen-adult gamers back. Zelda is probably the best game out there, but the only good game they make. Mario.... its now lame. Mario sunshine was exactly like Mario 64. The story wasn't that well constructed either and left me expecting more. Just the fact that this is Sony's first entry into the Handheld market and keeping it a close game is a major achievement.

    I have no problems with ports, mainly sports games. I tried playing Madden on the DS.. Horrible. Games are about gameplay, but the graphics were so horrible i turned it off immediantly. When I play NBA Live 06 on the PSP it almost looks as good as the PS2 version. PS2 is getting some major games now. FFVII, whenever that prequel drops. Daxter, Killzone, etc. All originals and not ports. I'd pick those games anyday over Nintendogs. Also the thing a hate most about Nintendo is it remakes all its handhelds atleast 3 times. Gameboy, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Pocket, Then Color(which is the only one that wasn't remade i believe), Gameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, Then Gameboy Micro.

    I really appreciated the move from Advance to SP, But micro was not needed at all! You all say Sony is in this for Money, but look at Nintendo!!! They remake this all over again to try and get you to purchase it again! Get it right the first time dammit! Sony got it right the first try with the PSP! Shoulda got it right the first time witht he DS. Shoulda looked at the PSP more before you guys decided not to change the shell of the DS. Now there DSlite. Just get it right the first time!!!!!

    When Sony changes its consoles from PS2 to PSTwo, atleast they do it for a reason. Cheaper Manufacturing costs! SP to Micro lost one thing. The Screen! Its super small. What I also don't like about Nintendo is that they didn't try to innovate the Portable industry at all until they heard about the PSP. Additionally i remember Capcom saying something about making a DMC for the PSP. I could care less if its a port i'll be the first one in line to buy it.

    Original games are gonna roll in this year. Also the DS isn't great for FPS's. Tried metroid on it. I hate it. using the touchscreen is annoying so i often use the buttons. I could just do that on Coded Arms. The PSP will become cheaper. And you'll see sales jump like crazy. You'll also see the DS drop in price, but sales won't be as high percentage wise as the PSP, because there are alot of people holding out on the PSP until it gets cheaper. DS is already cheap, so most people aren't holding themselves for that. There are some, but there's very few.

    I only see Elementary students playing DS over here on the base. The High School thou... Everyone has a PSP. Even the girls. All the girls by it because it looks so damn nice. Guys get because, games movies, music and cough.cough.pornonthego.cough.cough. Not that i do that. Thats lame and desperate. And its great you can emulate on the PSP. I don't do it, but theres always the option to. I can see the PSP eventually pulling ahead when the prices drop, software comes out, and memory sticks become cheaper.

    The thing with DS is. Thats all you have. a DS. PSP owners have more then just the option to play games. Also there are rumers for a PSP with a HDD. i'm not banking on it becoming a reality, but if it does becomes true....Its over. The PSP is doing many things for sony. It might not be saling alot of Software, but Memory Sticks are selling like crazy now. 1 Gig sticks used to be $125. Now there $70. Almost a %50 percent drop.

  16. #16
    St Jude
    Guest
    Paragraph dude...paragraph!!! ever heard of it?.....

    No way am I going to read one huge $#@!ing block like that...

    If you want me to respond EDIT your post and do me the courtesy of some paragraphing...you can't have a discussion with a brick like that for people to read it looks illegiable.

    Cheers

    St Jude

  17. #17
    Veteran
    The Chocobo Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,814
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    0 (0 Banked)
    my god dood that is way to hard to read. make it easy and eidit that.

  18. #18
    St Jude
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Well fine the DS did take its lead back, but the PSP is very, very close. Even thou it didnt launch everywhere at once or anywhere close to the dates the PSP is keeping the handheld industry interesting. Yea there making less movies, but people are still buying them. No one expecting the UMD format to be such a big hit. Then compare the prices of the handhelds.
    No one actually knows actual sales figures for the PSP...because they only release "shipped" figures not "Sale" figures. What I can tell you is that the NDS has sold over 15m of "actual retail sale".

    The PSP is not keeping the hand-held industry interesting...clearly you have a bias for the PS brand...so lets not even go there. I'm sorry to say that but no gamer in there right mind would say the PSP is keeping the hand-held industy interesting. Having straight ports is harming the PSP...

    Ok so you acknowledge that less UMD's are being made but people are still buying them? That doesn't make sense since if there is demand...Sony and other studio's wouldn't be making less and lowering their production. Now would they? Think about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    The PSP is a $100 more yet the sales between the to are very close. The PSP also brought adult gaming to the handheld just like what it did with the PS1. Nintendo is constantly holding us teen-adult gamers back. Zelda is probably the best game out there, but the only good game they make. Mario.... its now lame. Mario sunshine was exactly like Mario 64. The story wasn't that well constructed either and left me expecting more. Just the fact that this is Sony's first entry into the Handheld market and keeping it a close game is a major achievement.
    Indeed Mario Sunshine was never going to be another Mario 64...it was an impossible task. It was an alrite game...but people expected it to be ground-breaking...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    I have no problems with ports, mainly sports games. I tried playing Madden on the DS.. Horrible. Games are about gameplay, but the graphics were so horrible i turned it off immediantly. When I play NBA Live 06 on the PSP it almost looks as good as the PS2 version. PS2 is getting some major games now. FFVII, whenever that prequel drops. Daxter, Killzone, etc. All originals and not ports. I'd pick those games anyday over Nintendogs. Also the thing a hate most about Nintendo is it remakes all its handhelds atleast 3 times. Gameboy, Gameboy Light, Gameboy Pocket, Then Color(which is the only one that wasn't remade i believe), Gameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, Then Gameboy Micro.
    Another statement that makes no sense...you say it's about game-play but then you say you stopped playing because of the graphics...
    I'm not a fan of Nintendogs nor do I own a copy...

    Mario-Kart, Anuimal Crossings and Metroid Prime Hunter are and will be what you get a DS for...

    Nintendogs is Nintendo's way of getting people who don't play video-games to play them...like-wise Brain-Training etc...and they are successful in their own right. Do I like them? No...does it mean I should berate Nintendo? No...it's a strategy to get more gamers into gaming if you are against that then...I really don't know what to say to you as a gamer.

    Nintendo are a design innovation philosophy company...like Apple...they both re-release hardware that has had a face-lift etc over and over again. If you don't like the updated redesigns then don't get them. It's a choice and Nintedno is not ramming anything down your throat...


    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    I really appreciated the move from Advance to SP, But micro was not needed at all! You all say Sony is in this for Money, but look at Nintendo!!! They remake this all over again to try and get you to purchase it again! Get it right the first time dammit! Sony got it right the first try with the PSP! Shoulda got it right the first time witht he DS. Shoulda looked at the PSP more before you guys decided not to change the shell of the DS. Now there DSlite. Just get it right the first time!!!!!
    As I said above Nintendo like to re-design...the Micro was never mean't to last or be sold for long...it's a limited edition version of the GB. It's suppose to be a GB for the self-conscience consumer...

    It's not about getting anything right for Nintendo. Like-wise it's not about getting it right with the Ipod for Apple...if your a company that strives for design innovation and constantly looking to push the envelope...your constatly giving your products a face lift...

    And as I said no one is forcing people to buy the new editions...it's just your your want to have the newest edition of everything...Nintendo haven't said..."Oh you have to buy this, to play that"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    When Sony changes its consoles from PS2 to PSTwo, atleast they do it for a reason. Cheaper Manufacturing costs! SP to Micro lost one thing. The Screen! Its super small. What I also don't like about Nintendo is that they didn't try to innovate the Portable industry at all until they heard about the PSP. Additionally i remember Capcom saying something about making a DMC for the PSP. I could care less if its a port i'll be the first one in line to buy it.
    That's Sony strategy...if they want a one-size fits all strategy good for them. They don't have to waste money hiring people to re-design their products. Nintendo are the oppisite. It's diffrent strategies and you can't compare them as both companies have diffrent philosophies of how to do business.

    Indeed Nintendo pretty much hardly innovated in the hand-held space.

    Nintendo have yet to bring out a succesor to the GB and DS is not a succesor to it. The GBA is still kicking áss so there is no need to. In fact the GBA is so successful at the moment that Nintendo are upping production. The DS is an off-shoot of the GB...the true successor is yet to be released...but I'm sure Nintedno is working on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Original games are gonna roll in this year. Also the DS isn't great for FPS's. Tried metroid on it. I hate it. using the touchscreen is annoying so i often use the buttons. I could just do that on Coded Arms. The PSP will become cheaper. And you'll see sales jump like crazy. You'll also see the DS drop in price, but sales won't be as high percentage wise as the PSP, because there are alot of people holding out on the PSP until it gets cheaper. DS is already cheap, so most people aren't holding themselves for that. There are some, but there's very few.
    Pure Sony Fan-boy talk...I won't respond to that pure and utter unadulterated fanboy talk...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    I only see Elementary students playing DS over here on the base. The High School thou... Everyone has a PSP. Even the girls. All the girls by it because it looks so damn nice. Guys get because, games movies, music and cough.cough.pornonthego.cough.cough. Not that i do that. Thats lame and desperate. And its great you can emulate on the PSP. I don't do it, but theres always the option to. I can see the PSP eventually pulling ahead when the prices drop, software comes out, and memory sticks become cheaper.
    Good for them and you...the DS still leads unfortunetly for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    The thing with DS is. Thats all you have. a DS. PSP owners have more then just the option to play games. Also there are rumers for a PSP with a HDD. i'm not banking on it becoming a reality, but if it does becomes true....Its over. The PSP is doing many things for sony. It might not be saling alot of Software, but Memory Sticks are selling like crazy now. 1 Gig sticks used to be $125. Now there $70. Almost a %50 percent drop.
    I'm a gamer...not really bothered about other multi-media functions...I own a PSP and I have only got one UMD movie because it was bundled with it, other-wise I wouldn't buy a UMD movie...the rest of my PSP activity is for gaming and ROMs ...gaming on my PSP has been non-existent since I got my hands on AC-WW and Mario-Mart...

    I'm not really a fan of integrated stuff...I want my DVD player to play DVD's. Like-wise I got my PS2 and XBox to play games and have never played any DVD's on them.

  19. #19
    Dedicated Member
    Jap Attack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,470
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    974 (0 Banked)
    No one actually knows actual sales figures for the PSP...because they only release "shipped" figures not "Sale" figures. What I can tell you is that the NDS has sold over 15m of "actual retail sale".

    The PSP is not keeping the hand-held industry interesting...clearly you have a bias for the PS brand...so lets not even go there. I'm sorry to say that but no gamer in there right mind would say the PSP is keeping the hand-held industy interesting. Having straight ports is harming the PSP...

    Ok so you acknowledge that less UMD's are being made but people are still buying them? That doesn't make sense since if there is demand...Sony and other studio's wouldn't be making less and lowering their production. Now would they? Think about it
    Shipped figures are speculated as Sales figures. All consoles and handhelds including Nintendo find there sales through shipments because they sale shipments to companies. There not going to go to each company and ask them how much did they sale and make all the retailers count up there stock. What they sold to retailers is considered sales. Ask anyone on these boards that nows about that stuff. and Yes I have a bias for the PS brand, but believe it or not I used to Love Nintendo and hate Sony until the PS2 came out. Then Gamecube messed everything up for me. And what i mean by "People still buying UMD's" is that if people weren't, they'd stop production on all UMD's. Currently there just slowing production down.

    Another statement that makes no sense...you say it's about game-play but then you say you stopped playing because of the graphics...
    I'm not a fan of Nintendogs nor do I own a copy...
    It is about gameplay, but I have my limits on graphics. It makes since to me. You just didn't try to see things. Gameplay can be good, but the graphics can be horrible enought to interfere with gameplay. Like on Madden for DS. The gameplay is their, but the graphics are so bad that sometimes it looks like the players are meshing together.

    As I said above Nintendo like to re-design...the Micro was never mean't to last or be sold for long...it's a limited edition version of the GB. It's suppose to be a GB for the self-conscience consumer...
    Um... I don't know what you mean by limited edition. I still see them on shelves over here. I think limited edition stuff don't stay on shelves for this long.

    Pure Sony Fan-boy talk...I won't respond to that pure and utter unadulterated fanboy talk...
    Say what you want, but i said this all ready and i'll say it again. Nintendo used to be my console, then Sony showed me adult gaming. I currently own all past and current gen consoles developed by Sony, Nintendo and MS(they only have 2 consoles but i still have them). So i believe i'm intitled to give my opinion on those consoles. Everything i said involved sales as well. I'm pretty sure most people here will agree with me that alot of people here are holding back on the PSP because of it's price and when it drops sales will rocket. If you don't want to respond fine be my geust.

    I'm a gamer...not really bothered about other multi-media functions...I own a PSP and I have only got one UMD movie because it was bundled with it, other-wise I wouldn't buy a UMD movie...the rest of my PSP activity is for gaming and ROMs ...gaming on my PSP has been non-existent since I got my hands on AC-WW and Mario-Mart...

    I'm not really a fan of integrated stuff...I want my DVD player to play DVD's. Like-wise I got my PS2 and XBox to play games and have never played any DVD's on them.
    Thats great for you. I'm just pointing out that the PSP has more functionality then the DS so you get more bang for you buck. And um there are original games for the PSP. You just havn't been to Japan recently have you. Coded arms is a great original game. Dynasty Warriors was a port but super fun.

    Indeed Mario Sunshine was never going to be another Mario 64...it was an impossible task. It was an alrite game...but people expected it to be ground-breaking...
    Mario 64 was a great game. Had me playing it all day and i probably beat the game more then 10 times. I was expecting Mario 128, not Mario Sunshine. They didn't really do anything new at all with Sunshine. All they did was throw in a watergun that was multiple abilities. I wanna ride Yoshi and team up with Luigi on a console! not a handheld! Once again, Yes i have a Bias for Sony, but i'll be first in line for Zelda Twilight Princess.

  20. #20
    Super Elite
    c.a.p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    249 (0 Banked)
    This paragraph stuck out for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Thats great for you. I'm just pointing out that the PSP has more functionality then the DS so you get more bang for you buck. And um there are original games for the PSP. You just havn't been to Japan recently have you. Coded arms is a great original game. Dynasty Warriors was a port but super fun.
    First let me say that PSP is $250. If Sony didn't add all of those features you wouldn't be getting any bang for your buck. DS, on the other hand, is $130. Much more reasonable, especially for what it does. I don't want to buy a handheld that's priced in the home console range. That's ridiculous. The games are also console game priced. Unlike PSP, DS keeps to the handheld philosophy, to provide affordable hardware and software that can deliver a great game play experience. I'd rather have that than an expensive multimedia handheld. Also, as for "functionality", it depends on what you mean. DS has more game play functionality than PSP. It has a touch screen and a microphone, game play additions that PSP doesn't. Sure, PSP has multimedia functions, but does that provide anything to the game play experience? Not at all. And last, but not least, your Japan comment. Yes, those games are out in Japan, but what about the other major territories like North America and Europe? Nope. If they are going to release all of there original games only in Japan (Not even their largest market.), they might as well just stay there. I rest my case.

    Formerly cap_826

  21. #21
    St Jude
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Shipped figures are speculated as Sales figures. All consoles and handhelds including Nintendo find there sales through shipments because they sale shipments to companies. There not going to go to each company and ask them how much did they sale and make all the retailers count up there stock. What they sold to retailers is considered sales. Ask anyone on these boards that nows about that stuff. and Yes I have a bias for the PS brand, but believe it or not I used to Love Nintendo and hate Sony until the PS2 came out. Then Gamecube messed everything up for me. And what i mean by "People still buying UMD's" is that if people weren't, they'd stop production on all UMD's. Currently there just slowing production down.
    No...Nintendo are the only company out of Sony and Microsoft to release sales figures.Take a looky Couldn't be bothered to go digging fo press releases so I'll just link you the first thing I came across when looking for figures.

    It's aways been hard to compare Nintendo statistics with Microsoft and Sony because they give "shipped" figures which are in no way the same as "sale" figures...

    I don't really want to get into this area...but it had to be explained as you seem confused or mis-informed...because there is a misunderstanding in general, so I don't blame you...It only takes one mis-informed gamer to spawn 12 un-informed gamers. Everyone and their dog seems to think "shipped" and "sale" are the same thing...

    That's why I think gamers are as bad as anylysts...as almost every (atleast 99.99999%) feels like they are experts in the field, when really they don't know their áss from their elbow...

    Anyways...enough of my babble...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    It is about gameplay, but I have my limits on graphics. It makes since to me. You just didn't try to see things. Gameplay can be good, but the graphics can be horrible enought to interfere with gameplay. Like on Madden for DS. The gameplay is their, but the graphics are so bad that sometimes it looks like the players are meshing together.
    Ok...

    I guess your just spoilt then...I remember playing Football games on the 8-bit and 16-bit era...and that's a huge leap back from that on the DS.

    Expectation is diffrent I guess...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Um... I don't know what you mean by limited edition. I still see them on shelves over here. I think limited edition stuff don't stay on shelves for this long.
    Micro has been selling so well that Nintendo have extended it...Reggie said as long as the Micro represents 5%-10% of GB sales...that is all they want and that's what it is doing.

    It was originally suppose to last like 6 months or something...but the demand has been good enough to extend it. Simply put anyway. If it sells why stop selling it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Say what you want, but i said this all ready and i'll say it again. Nintendo used to be my console, then Sony showed me adult gaming. I currently own all past and current gen consoles developed by Sony, Nintendo and MS(they only have 2 consoles but i still have them). So i believe i'm intitled to give my opinion on those consoles. Everything i said involved sales as well. I'm pretty sure most people here will agree with me that alot of people here are holding back on the PSP because of it's price and when it drops sales will rocket. If you don't want to respond fine be my geust.
    I don't want to respond to Sony-fan-boy retoric as it's point-less...

    That post of yours reeked of it and I just don't want to waste my time. I don't really care if you own all the consoles...I was talking about that particular post...as there wasn't a single point in it...

    If you want a responce...

    I'm sure there are a lot of people holding back because of the price...but what I do doubt, is that there would be some huge expolosion in sales. It is true that if you lower price...it usually helps to increase sales...but it doesn't blow up sales. There isn't a huge number of people waiting...for a PSP price drop. And if they are waiting I'm betting it's people who can't afford to too...e.g. kids who spong off their parents...etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Thats great for you. I'm just pointing out that the PSP has more functionality then the DS so you get more bang for you buck. And um there are original games for the PSP. You just havn't been to Japan recently have you. Coded arms is a great original game. Dynasty Warriors was a port but super fun.
    Yeah you do get more bang for your buck...but it is suppose to be a gaming machine...currently it wants to compete with the ipod and other media devices more then be a gaming machine...

    I didn't buy my PSP for other uses...I'm sure there are many PSP owners like me who feel that Sony isn't doing enough for the PSP in games content. People tout MG:Acid but I played MG-Acid demo the other day...and I have to say I'm extremly disappointed...very boring after 30 minutes of playing and...some of the game play mechanics are confusing and lacking...if the over-drawn game play don't get you frustrated then the game play mechanics will get you sooner or later. There are better card based games out there...

    Like-wise why would I want to play DW when I can play it on the PS2? Doesn't make sense...Either PSP owners get a fully-pledged PSP title that has content that isn't on the PS2...or nothing at all...

    If a game is going on the hand-held it has to be done in a way...just for the hand-held to have something over the console version. The reason why the DS is a success is that it distingushes itself from it's console counter-part with the touch-screen games and control...

    The concept of playing GTA on the move wears very thin quickly...

    Saying that I want to play GT...on the PSP and can't wait for that to be released. Hopefully it has new content...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jap Attack
    Mario 64 was a great game. Had me playing it all day and i probably beat the game more then 10 times. I was expecting Mario 128, not Mario Sunshine. They didn't really do anything new at all with Sunshine. All they did was throw in a watergun that was multiple abilities. I wanna ride Yoshi and team up with Luigi on a console! not a handheld! Once again, Yes i have a Bias for Sony, but i'll be first in line for Zelda Twilight Princess.
    You could ride Yoshi in Mario-Sunshine...

    Mario Sunshine wasn't welcome because there wasn't enough new things your right...as I said people expected a ground-breaking Mario game and they got a slightly up-graded game.

  22. #22
    Forum Elder
    Nstriker20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,670
    Rep Power
    71
    Points
    58 (0 Banked)
    When is Nintendo going to release their final specification of the revolution. Hopefully the would do it come E3 2006.


    30.82Mbps<--Download----Upload-->22.80Mbps

  23. #23
    curryking1
    Guest

    [LIVE] Burnout going the way of Hot Pursuit?

    Electronic Arts have a strong history of publishing great racing titles, from the early days of Road Rash, to the Need for Speed franchise, and most recently, Burnout Paradise. Unfortunately for the publisher, their two former titles either died or have hit quite the standstill in successful sales figures. On the flip side, Burnout Paradise has continued to push the bill in providing gamers with consistently fresh content to prolong the gaming experience.

    So, what's next in line for the Burnout franchise? If recent rumors are to be taken seriously, you can expect Police vehicles to make their way into Paradise City and perhaps bring with them a hot pursuit mode like the glory days of Need for Speed. It's no secret that this would inevitably make Burnout Paradise the premiere racer within the current generation, bar none.

    We've sent out an email to the guys at Criterion to see if we can land any further information on what's to come.

  24. #24
    curryking1
    Guest

    Re: [READY]Burnout going the way of Hot Pursuit?

    Image needs to be uploaded to the server.

  25. #25
    BustenRhymes7790
    Guest

    Re: [READY]Burnout going the way of Hot Pursuit?

    Electronic Arts has a strong history of publishing great racing titles, from the early days of Road Rash, to the Need for Speed franchise, and most recently, Burnout Paradise. Unfortunately for the publisher, their two former titles either died or have hit quite the standstill in successful sales figures. On the flip side, Burnout Paradise has continued to push the bill in providing gamers with consistently fresh content to prolong the gaming experience.

    So, what's next in line for the Burnout franchise? If recent rumors are to be taken seriously, you can expect police vehicles to make their way into Paradise City, and perhaps bring with them a hot pursuit mode like the glory days of Need for Speed. It's no secret that this would inevitably make Burnout Paradise the premiere racer within the current generation, bar none.

    We've sent out an email to the guys at Criterion to see if we can land any further information on what's to come.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.