Latest PSU headlines:

PS3 leaves a line of dust on discs

Fairly recently (yesterday) COD4 was losing sound during the match then not loading the lobby after the game. Basically, it wasn't reading the disc anymore.

When I took it out, there is a line of dust (perhaps a minor scratch) that runs the diameter of the disc. I can clean it off and start the game up, but now the problem just repeats it self.

As I result I can't play games anymore. I tried using a lense cleaner with no help. Someone mentioned an air compressor.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Steve.
    ps. I've heard this is a common issue. I'm not trying to be a troll; just trying to get a solution.

Superior Member
    It has to be your PS3. I've never had / heard about this problem ever. Ring Sony and see what they say.
    A good friend once said to me...
    "Give a man a copy of the sims and within a few minutes he's trying to make two girls kiss. Give a man an online shooter and before u know it there is more tea bagging than actual shooting..."

Apprentice

For help you will probably need to let us know which sku you have and which region it is.

It is the 60 gig North American version.

More info: apparently it plays DVD's fine, and some older games (aka Ninja Gaiden). GTA4 and now cod4 (which i've had no issue with) crash after it loads.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    shadowrth
    for 1.) we seriously need to get that 25 post rule back maybe even make it 50. 2.) this being a common problem u have heard of? funny i've never heard of it my ps3 don't do it 60 gig all the way baby. shhhh don't tell any one but i think it's the user, jk..... GAMEFAQS is crap.

..................... k thanks dude ...
    Don't padd your posts with dits, you have to write something instead of just "k thanks dude", that is why we have the 25 character minimum rule. Not because you can fill the post with dots ~ Turkmen117

nah my ps3 restarts some times for no reason while loading up gta4 but it plays other games and movies fine just gta4 it has that problem.
    Currently Playing: RE5
    PS3 40gig(upgraded 320gig)
    PSN: Wolfsins
    I'm hot like fire.

nah my ps3 restarts some times for no reason while loading up gta4 but it plays other games and movies fine just gta4 it has that problem. i don't know why but it's not all the time and it's only when i hit the ps button too while loading up gta4. anybody have this problem?
    I'm hot like fire.

On GameFAQs someone said it was a common problem. I've never seen it before, but it appears that it is some how forming either a fine line of dust or a scratch through the middle of the disc. I would post at playstation.com but I can't create a topic there.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by steveblah View Post
    ..................... triple post =(
    that's the type of stuff yourself will get deleted for from the forums

Apprentice

Some people really have weird issues with their PS3. I have the original 60 gig model and I may get a hiccup or two but nothing that prevented me from playing. Some tips I always do. 1. I never touch my discs and always handle them from the outside edge. I don't think alot of people realize the reading surface is never to be touch. 2. Once a month I use a aircan to blow all the vents out. 3. I give the exterior of the system a wipe down with a microfiber cloth. I've played my system for hours and hours. No lockups, no failures just keep right on playing. I've rented games before and I've seen discs in a mess. Finger prints, small abrasions etc. which I don't see how people can put marks on a disc with a scatch resistant surface. I would give Sony a call and see what solution they have for you.

I have a 40gig North America and it just so happens that I discovered this yesterday on my ps3 after switching games. but so far I haven't had any problems playing games.

Elite Member
    Get a can of compressed air and blow it out from all angles. It cant leave any dust if there isn't any inside the console

Master Poster
    Never ever had this problem either. Unlucky for you. If you have the 40GB version, you could always do the Fan Test and then that should get rid of any dust. Just a mention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    40GB PS3 Owner - 32" Hisense LCD 1080P - 1 DS3 - 2 Sixaxis
    Games Owned: Fifa 08, Uncharted, GTA:IV, COD 4, PGA Tour 2008, Haze, Battlefield: Bad Company, COD:W@W, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2

Apprentice
    Was the cleaner you used having anything referring to a blu-ray drive? If not try something that does such as this Endust one:

http://www.realbigbuy.com/262000.html

If something like that fails to work just send it to Sony or call and see if they have any solutions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sony VAIO VGN-AR550: OCed 2.2ghz, 2gb ram, Nvidia 8400gt, Vista Ultimate Sp1.

Custom PC: Q6700 2.67ghz, 2gb ram, Dual-booting Vista Home-Premium Sp1 and XP Pro waiting on bonus for new video card.

nah my ps3 restarts some times for no reason while loading up gta4 but it plays other games and movies fine just gta4 it has that problem.
    I'm hot like fire.

Tiger Woods 08 load issue

I'm having problems loading Tiger Woods 08. I went to BB and picked up another copy because I thought it might be the disc, but the new one has the same problem. All of my other games/movies work just fine. I'm wondering if it could be related to the most recent firmware update? It worked fine until after I downloaded the update. Anyone else having similar issues? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Miney View Post
    Never ever had this problem either. Unlucky for you. If you have the 40GB version, you could always do the Fan Test and then that should get rid of any dust. Just a mention.

The Fan test???? Explain whats the fan test, this sounds stupid but im a newwish ps3 owner
    [SIGPIC] I Par With Dem [/SIGPIC]

Forum Sage
    On GameFAQs someone said it was a common problem. I've never seen it before, but it appears that it is some how forming either a fine line of dust or a scratch through the middle of the disc. I would post at playstation.com but I can't create a topic there.
    I think you can create a topic in their Support forums. You just can't in the General forums.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Fairly recently (yesterday) COD4 was losing sound during the match then not loading the lobby after the game. Basically, it wasn't reading the disc anymore.

When I took it out, there is a line of dust (perhaps a minor scratch) that runs the diameter of the disc. I can clean it off and start the game up, but now the problem just repeats it self.

As I result I can't play games anymore. I tried using a lense cleaner with no help. Someone mentioned an air compressor.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Steve.
    ps. I've heard this is a common issue. I'm not trying to be a troll; just trying to get a solution.
    If it was a scratch you couldn't clean it off. If it was a line of dust, then the only way it could have gotten there when playing is via static attraction as the disc is either in vertical position of with the read surface facing downwards depending on the orientation.

If it is static, it's interesting as it's only ring, it's potentially possible to have it induced by a charge on the reading head, but I would have to think that it would have to be a fairly dusty environment to attract enough particles to form a visible line on a spinning disc (but potentially possible.)

The only way to resolve this is to remove the dust from the system. The compressed air is one way to do this. Just do it with the system turned off and also use a vacuum hose at the fins (back and top) while blowing the compressed air (from a can, NOT from an air compressor which may introduce moister into the system) otherwise you're mostly just stirring the dust up inside the PS3.

BTW, do you have your PS3 in a relatively dusty environment? Do you know how often your air filters on your AC/Furnace system are changed an what MERV rating filters you're using?

TAZ427

Thread Information