Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacia View Post
    I'm sorry but GTA4 isn't a 9.99 game it isn't even a 9.3 game. It's a solid 9.0, people really fell into the hype of GTA4.
    AGREE!!!!

GRAPHICS
    ---------
    GTA IV sucks big in graphics, i think they improve just a little the engine used in san andreas, because the game is the paradise of jaggies. I bet this game could look much better on the ps3.

I'm sorry, but GTA IV isn't a solid 10, it has many flaws in the graphics aspect and in performance (cars and citizens pop ins and pop outs). For me, GTA IV scores 7.9 at graphics, everything else in this game is great.

COD 4 also has average graphics, bad textures, bad shaders, noticeable jaggies, for sure not the best graphics on the ps3. It can score 8.5 in graphics IMO.

STORY
    -------
    Perfect 10 for GTA IV, great single player.
    COD4 -> 8.5 -> Good, but not epic.

GAMEPLAY
    ----------
    Both games plays great as they should be. GTA IV has more details and options.

------

Summarizing, GTA IV is ny far more superior and more "epic" than COD4 due to the gameplay details and added options

Superior Member
    If we are talking about epic then COD4 is my pick of the two.

Put it this way, I couldn't put down COD4 when I got it but GTAIV I can get bored of after about 1hr of playing.

GTA IV>>>>>cod4. GTA IV has so much more replay value.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk1215 View Post
    GTA IV>>>>>cod4. GTA IV has so much more replay value.
    here is my problem with GTA IV replay value. sure its cool to see how many silly things you can do but...in such a open free world to run around in...there sure is not much to do or anything to unlock/find. 200 pigeons for a crap helicopter? ill pass on that. there should be tons of hidden goodies to find while exploring the game, but sadly there is not.
    PSN- Scape13
    XBL- Scape13

"Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    ~Fuer Grissa ost Drauka

That Band Is Awful
    PSN ID
    pasta_fire
    cod4 owns gta by a longshot.. like said previously.. i put down gta after about an hour and thought to myself..how do people play this for 6 or 7 hours a day?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacia View Post
    I'm sorry but GTA4 isn't a 9.99 game it isn't even a 9.3 game. It's a solid 9.0, people really fell into the hype of GTA4.
    I consider GTA IV to be a 9.82987. The hype had no impact on my decision to rate it this way. I just feel that it wasn't quite good enough to be a 9.83. (said with a thick layer of sarcasm).

Dedicated Member
    This isnt a "who's better" thread. The question was which one was more epic. GTA is by far a more massive game. Does it make it better? Depends on who you ask. But it is in fact easily more EPIC than COD4 if you play it for all its worth. Doesnt hurt COD4 at all though.

I will agree that its not a 10 oeverall game, neither is COD4. Right now GTA San Andreas is still the deepest feeling GTA out there. But at the end of the day I think most people here own both games and would have no sense of fun to dislike either game.
    PSFourums, where silly nerds can be princes and kings behind their computers, yet pathetic otherwise.

bobjenkins
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidHelium View Post
    MP? Yes
    SP? Hell no.
    you think that GTA's multiplayer is better than COD4 MP?

Elite Guru

None of them are epic imo, good yes but not epic.
    Calculating Infinity

Apprentice
    If I had to choose whether I could only have one then it would be COD4 without a shadow of a doubt! COD4 is the best online games I ever played!

I think GTA4 is overrated. There are many things it didn't do that san andreas did. And the multiplayer isn't really as good as i thought it would be. It's still a very good game, but i don't think it merits a 10.

COD4 had a greater impact on me when i first played it both in campaign and MP. To be fair though, the story in GTA4 was pretty good, and it took me quite a while to complete, whilst i finished COD4's single player in just 2 days.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pirulee View Post
    AGREE!!!!

GRAPHICS
    ---------
    GTA IV sucks big in graphics, i think they improve just a little the engine used in san andreas, because the game is the paradise of jaggies. I bet this game could look much better on the ps3.

I'm sorry, but GTA IV isn't a solid 10, it has many flaws in the graphics aspect and in performance (cars and citizens pop ins and pop outs). For me, GTA IV scores 7.9 at graphics, everything else in this game is great.

COD 4 also has average graphics, bad textures, bad shaders, noticeable jaggies, for sure not the best graphics on the ps3. It can score 8.5 in graphics IMO.

STORY
    -------
    Perfect 10 for GTA IV, great single player.
    COD4 -> 8.5 -> Good, but not epic.

GAMEPLAY
    ----------
    Both games plays great as they should be. GTA IV has more details and options.

------

Summarizing, GTA IV is ny far more superior and more "epic" than COD4 due to the gameplay details and added options
    I think you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. No wait, I'm sure of it.

I feel like Infinity Ward really mastered the linear, single-player experience. They prove that you can make a great, linear game in the sea of attempts towards freedom. I've also always loved the feeling that you're part of something much bigger in CoD. Although I feel like 4 slipped a bit in that aspect, you still feel overwhelmed in all the chaos.

GTA4, on the other hand does a great sandbox experience, so it's epic in a different sense in that the experience is absolutely massive.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal Warrior View Post
    I think you haven't got a clue what you're talking about. No wait, I'm sure of it.
    Depends

If we are talking about GTA SA on PS2 then yes GTA IV graphics are much better. However if we are talking about GTA SA on PC @ 1600 x 1200 with AA and AF then GTA IV is only a slight improvement and even then the PC version of SA was more polished and definied in certain areas. That said , i have no doubt that a PC version of GTA IV with better textures , less blur , better FOV and especially AA would just obliterate San Andreas as far as graphics are concerned. The problem with the PS3 version is that it lack esthetics.

Anyway , as far as the OP is concerned . MGS 4 is going to be much more epic than both .

Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If we're talking about multiplayer, then Grand Theft Auto IV completely destroys the competition. I mean, CoD4 is awesome when it comes to team deathmatches and the such, but the maps are extremely tight, and disappointing in the fact that there isn't much volume in them vertically, whereas in Grand Theft Auto IV you can climb to the top of any building and do as you please. Nothing beats sniping from the top of the Statue of Happiness, hehe.

However, if we're talking about single player - well, it's a tough one. CoD4 is so gripping and intense (especially in the ghillie suit mission) but so is Grand Theft Auto IV (where the bank job is concerned) - if I was forced to pick one, then I'd go with CoD4.

Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by S6S6S6 View Post
    Depends

If we are talking about GTA SA on PS2 then yes GTA IV graphics are much better. However if we are talking about GTA SA on PC @ 1600 x 1200 with AA and AF then GTA IV is only a slight improvement and even then the PC version of SA was more polished and definied in certain areas. That said , i have no doubt that a PC version of GTA IV with better textures , less blur , better FOV and especially AA would just obliterate San Andreas as far as graphics are concerned. The problem with the PS3 version is that it lack esthetics.

Anyway , as far as the OP is concerned . MGS 4 is going to be much more epic than both .
    No, just no. Even compared to San Andreas on a high end pc with everything maxed out, GTA IV is a serious improvement. It's not a gigantic leap, but saying it's only a slight improvement is deluded. Some of you must have a blurred memory of San Andreas.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    ok
    lets just say, for a moment, that both games were released at the same time.
    now which one of these games would you put the most hours into?

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Apprentice
    No, just no. Even compared to San Andreas on a high end pc with everything maxed out, GTA IV is a serious improvement. It's not a gigantic leap, but saying it's only a slight improvement is deluded. Some of you must have a blurred memory of San Andreas.
    It's an improvement as far as player/cars model and the lighting engine is concerned. The game is also more detailed in how the pedestrians do their things and all but other than that.....??? The textures in the distance are actually just as ****ty and even more blurry than GTA SA PC. GTA IV also has much much more jaggies and is overall less polished due to the lack of AA and AF.

And i don't have a blurred memory of SA since i actually played it on PC only a few weeks before GTA IV got released.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by topgun1974 View Post
    ok
    lets just say, for a moment, that both games were released at the same time.
    now which one of these games would you put the most hours into?
    GTA as you kind of have to, to beat the game.

my 3 cents -

COD was something big and new and really fun to play, but it seemed to me at least, after awhile it got kinda blah. I know they have added maps, but I think even if they did some small changes it wouldn't have come to that. COD Sp was fun, great story, and I liked it alot, but it was almost too short. It told the story and thats fine, but I wanted more, and it was like what 5 to 6 hours.

GTA is something that we all have played before and expect a certain amount of wow in. Yes the area of detail is MUCH MUCH larger then in any other game really (I know Elder scrolls if large, and Assassins creed after a certain point is large) but no other game really gets a huge city feel. I haven't played all the way through single player yet, I think I'm like 30 or 40%, just got access to the second island. The story is good, graphic are, to me, what to be expected for a large game. Online, though I have not played it tons, I have played some, and I think they need to change the room setups. Its hard to play some of the games, because of its size with like 4 people, but yet the hosts and other gamers are to lazy to wait for a room to fill. I hosted one and we had at least 10 people in there and more where loading. It makes for more fun and carnage.

SO I guess as epic - I think its epic multiplayer - COD and Epic Single player - GTA

160gigs of Sexy!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
    What exactly would make one more "epic" than the other?

Without knowing your definition of epic, I would say GTA4 is on a completely different level than COD4 in every possible way. I liked COD4, but please there's no reason to pretend that a shooter we've all played before(in a more fancy form this time) is better than GTA4.
    The same can be said about GTA4...it really isn't much different than the previous GTA games. Personally, if I had to choose only 1 of the 2 it would have to be COD4.
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine."

My Nitro R/C Truck Videos - The blue truck is always mine.

Forum Elder
    Unfortunately (or not) GTAIV is one of the few games that give me motion sickness. And when I thought it was only on the single player mode and when he was drunk...well it's worse on multiplayer. I can't make him move in a straight line.
    And anyways I was never a fan of the GTA series, but I heard so many good things (and some bad) that I thought I would give it a try. But no thank you, I prefer CoD4 any time.
    My personal score for the games is GTAIV: 7 (I wanted to give it less but people will kill me) and CoD4 :9 (I wanted to give more but people will kill me)

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    se7enthsign
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch9 View Post
    In other news I compared my big toe to my mothers jewellery box..........

I found out they were not alike.........
    Yeah, but which one was more epic?
    Street Fighter was here before the UFC and PRIDE, so you can give your heart to Fedor...but your a** STILL belongs to RYU!!

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by S6S6S6 View Post
    It's an improvement as far as player/cars model and the lighting engine is concerned. The game is also more detailed in how the pedestrians do their things and all but other than that.....??? The textures in the distance are actually just as ****ty and even more blurry than GTA SA PC. GTA IV also has much much more jaggies and is overall less polished due to the lack of AA and AF.

And i don't have a blurred memory of SA since i actually played it on PC only a few weeks before GTA IV got released.
    What do you mean other than that? You just summed up the most important things that make this game beautiful (definately the lighting), and then act like they mean little to the graphics. Bad textures in the distance: true, a lot of blur: true, jaggies: certainly, but all of those things are secondary to character and car models and lighting. I'd rather have the extra polish than not, but after all it's just polish. What's underneath is more important, and GTA IV did brilliant there.

My issue with your post is that you said this: http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...5114829157.jpg
    is only a slight improvement on this:
    http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/arti...7061924523.jpg

Super Elite
    You do? Explain please. This is a forum and everybody have different opinions than you.

I have GTA IV (PS3) and HD tv, the game is the paradise of jaggies.
    I also have COD4, Uncharted, Lair, VF5, Warhawk..... and many more.

I prefer:
    Warhawk > COD4 in multiplayer.
    UNcharted > GTA IV and COD4 in visuals and story.
    GTA IV > COD4 and UNCHARTED in lasting appeal and replay value.

But thats my opinion and is based on the quantity and quality of the games I have already played and owned on my ps3.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pirulee View Post
    You do? Explain please. This is a forum and everybody have different opinions than you.

I have GTA IV (PS3) and HD tv, the game is the paradise of jaggies.
    I also have COD4, Uncharted, Lair, VF5, Warhawk..... and many more.

I prefer:
    Warhawk > COD4 in multiplayer.
    UNcharted > GTA IV and COD4 in visuals and story.
    GTA IV > COD4 and UNCHARTED in lasting appeal and replay value.

But thats my opinion and is based on the quantity and quality of the games I have already played and owned on my ps3.
    I'll explain: it's my opinion you don't have a clue what you're talking about when you say this:
    "i think they improve just a little the engine used in san andreas, because the game is the paradise of jaggies"

Not much more to say. It's a completely ridiculous statement. Not because of the jaggies part, because that's true (although "paradise" is a bit much). But you only need one look at SA and GTA IV to see that this is not just a little engine upgrade. GTA III to Vice City = little engine upgrade and Vice City to SA = little engine upgrade. Now look at those links in my post above and say that's the same evolution. On all the other stuff I respect your opinion, but this is just madness.

Thread Information