Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 616 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    With downloads from the PSN Video store, can we back those up to a new HDD or save them to a PC and then transfer the purchased content via USB to a new PS3 model? for some reason i have a feeling my ps3 40gb is on its way out.....

Hi,
    Thanks For Your Nice Article. I Like It.

PSN ID
    KDA420
    post 1/5 for thread

PSN ID
    KDA420
    post 2/5

PSN ID
    KDA420
    3/5

PSN ID
    KDA420
    4/5

PSN ID
    KDA420
    5/5 soo so, daft rule, i joined because i have a question, sorry.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Can someone please change the thread title, its so annoying.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

PSN ID
    littlegoldfish66
    I'm in the process of upgrading my hard drive. If only I noticed this thread before I would have had my external hard drive formatted to FAT32 a few days ago. But I finally managed to find a way to do it. So I'm a the back-up utility backing it up to my external hard drive

PSN ID
    XxIvanxXPr0
    What to do in stap 3?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Just connect the external HDD via USB and press triangle and copy what you want to back up.

I just recently replaced my ex ex hdd originally I had a 60gb, replaced with a 250gb, sold the 250gb and put another 250gb funny I dont trust hard drives that much, now I just got the 320gb :3 so it was easy. I did the backup with my 160gb IPOD Classic, 1 hour to take it out and 1 to put it back in :3
    (+[ ]%) - PSP 5.00 + 2gbs MSPD
    PS3 60gb HDD gen1 - ver 3.1

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Running out of space on my 120gb slim, will invest in a new hdd soon. For saves like demons souls and dark souls the only way is through the ps+ online storage? they are the two I care about most. Also when you back up to a hdd through the system option what does it save exactly?

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    It saves everything including protected saves. Get a SSD if you can I've seen some relatively cheap ones lately but the biggest I found was 256GB, waiting on a 500GB one to hopefully replace my current 500GB HDD.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Just to be safe their on the ps+ cloud xD.
    I have 120gb internal with a 500 gb external to backup too. I plan on going 500gb internal like you. Ssd is out of my price range for the size I need.

Update: Seagate isnt my favourite hdd brand, but got a 750gb 7200rpm hdd for $169. Installing my backup now.
    Last edited by mickice; 03-15-2012 at 14:30.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Apprentice
    Warning:

A bunch of bad sea gates and western digitals and even some samsung drives have faulty firmware installed on them so watch out if your ps3 starts auto corrupting or failing to boot.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by johnodd4 View Post
    Warning:

A bunch of bad sea gates and western digitals and even some samsung drives have faulty firmware installed on them so watch out if your ps3 starts auto corrupting or failing to boot.
    this is partly why I came here. I was looking to get one of the western digital scorpio 500 GB internals and I just wanted to see if anyone else knew how reliable they were. And if there is faulty firmware installed on them, what can I do?
    Also, if i want to turn my old 60Gb HDD into an external, i need to buy what is called an "external hard drive enclosure"? something maybe from Sabrent?

I was also wondering what would be the best way to transfer my save files and everything from my old HDD to my new one.

Thanks a lot!

I have an issue with my fat 40gb ps3. I recently bought a seagate momentus sata II 2.5" 500gb harddrive. I put a jumper shunt on it so it would force it to run at 1.5 in stead of 3. I have seen that the older ps3 must have a sata I hardrive or a sata II with a jumper shunt to force it into 1.5 which I did. Well when I put the hardrive in the ps3 I just get a blank screen, I even tried different connection types av/component/hdmi and nothing even tried video reset and safe mode and still blank. I put the 40gb drive in and it works. Any help would be appreciated.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Try without the shunt?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Try without the shunt?
    I did and still nothing.

PSN ID
    GeniusMike
    I have a hard drive question which may have been answered elsewhere, and if so then I do apologize but I was unable to locate it.

I purchased the very first PS3. Yes, I waited overnight in line and I paid way way too much, but I love my system. I bought the "deluxe" version at the time, with the chrome trim and the "huge" (LOL!) 80gb HDD. Wow how times have changed!

Well, as time passed I needed more space, so I upgraded the internal drive to 500gb. I back-up my PS3 to an external USB HDD about once a week, because over the years I have purchased hundreds and hundreds of games online from PSN. A lot of these games aren't even available on PSN any more from what I can see.

Also, I personally maintain my PS3 very nicely and as a result it's still just as nice as the first day I bought it. Yes, I'm a 47 year old PS3 addict who loves this system.

Ok, phew! Now that I have set up the background to my question, here it is: if I ever get to the point where my PS3 finally dies and can no longer be fixed, I will of course buy a new console. At that point, will my backup be useful to restore content onto the new system? I don't care about trophies and scores and stuff like that. I just don't want to lose any of the games I purchased. Most games that I buy have very high replay value, so I like to keep them.

Someone had told me that my backup was only really any good to restore onto my original system, and that I would have to re-download them again one by one from PSN, but that would take forever for so many games. Plus, what about the games that are no longer available?

I'm sure there is probably an easy answer to this, so forgive me for this lame question, but I would like to find out the correct answer finally.

Thanks very much, I appreciate your input,

Mike

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?dxmd01

I used the same method with the ps3 backup/restore utility. I put what would be the new drive into my ps3 using an adapter that converted my drive to a usb one. Then backed up my games, copied that to my pc. and popped the new drive in then restored the backup using my old drive. Worked fine! The ps+ feature may also be handy for backing up saved games, etc.

Can I add some external hard drive or internal drive ? Please let me know

Can you also let me know the list of hard drives I can install with my PS3 ?
    AND/OR External drive types which can be added ?

Also let me know some guide/tutorial to install drives as per your suggestions
    have bought a new PS3 this week
    I have bought following stuff - Sony PS3 12GB with Move Starter Pack & Move Game
    http://www.flipkart.com/sony-ps3-12g...mdf3hsa9gdyrqa

Quote Originally Posted by johnodd4 View Post
    Warning:

How can you tell what HDDs do this? I am looking at the WD Blue (WD10JPVT) 1TB (1000GB) SATA 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" Hard Disk

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ps3Quests View Post
    Can I add some external hard drive or internal drive ? Please let me know

Can you also let me know the list of hard drives I can install with my PS3 ?
    AND/OR External drive types which can be added ?

Also let me know some guide/tutorial to install drives as per your suggestions
    have bought a new PS3 this week
    I have bought following stuff - Sony PS3 12GB with Move Starter Pack & Move Game
    http://www.flipkart.com/sony-ps3-12g...mdf3hsa9gdyrqa
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can download games to an external and play them off there, it's just for other media.

Thread Information