Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ybbiv View Post
    However, I've also put my 20GB into a USB enclosure, but I'm having no luck with XP recognizing it. I can feel the drive spinning inside the enclosure so I'm pretty sure the enclosure isn't broken. I've even tried to find it under "my computer -> manage -> disk management" but it's not recognized there either. The driver disc that came with the enclosure has been zero help so far as well.

I had this problem with my 60GB, all I had to do in Disk Management was go to 'action' and 'rescan disks'. After that it was fine once I reformatted it.

Master Poster
    Sticky this!
    I'll be probably needing this info sometime in the near future when I install a new HDD. And this would save us from a lot of useless threads if this would be stickied.
    "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by [velocity] View Post
    Sticky this!
    I'll be probably needing this info sometime in the near future when I install a new HDD. And this would save us from a lot of useless threads if this would be stickied.
    How does Stickying happen - do the sticky fairy's help out ?

Yip-Man
    sorry to bump this thread of mine, but there are a few threads being created on internal drives, so thought i'ld bring this to the top again to try an help out a few on this forum!

Superior Member
    I have finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade my hdd.

What do I need to use to store my backed up data on? If someone could give me all the options I would be greatful.

Also, what brand of sata drive should I be looking at? Does it matter? Are there any brands I should avoid?

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga1973 View Post
    I have finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade my hdd.

What do I need to use to store my backed up data on? If someone could give me all the options I would be greatful.

Also, what brand of sata drive should I be looking at? Does it matter? Are there any brands I should avoid?
    Hi,

I decided just to use a flash drive and copy my game saves. then r download all PSN titles re install game intalls and updates, as cheapest way as had 4gig stick. if got smaller stick, can transfer saves to PC..

Other option if you have a large external drive of sorts FAT32 formatted just do system back up. prob need about 20 - 30 gig on it tho.

thats basicly all the options... I went for first as no external drive.

I went for Western digital (as had good reviews) got a 250gig, but go for the largest you can afford... Also bought cheap external case, so i use old drive to back up and store music and pics on.

Also remember just have to slot new drive into PS3 no need to format, as it formats itself.

Also read through my thread as a few useful tips on the old screws in the Internal drive caddy.

Superior Member
    Thanks very much.

Another question:

I do not have a flash drive or an external HDD. Can I do the following:

1. Remove PS3 HDD
    2. Instal & format new HDD
    3. Connect old PS3 HDD via usb enclosure
    4. Copy data from old PS3 HDD to new HDD

Yip-Man
    Thanks very much.

Another question:

I do not have a flash drive or an external HDD. Can I do the following:

1. Remove PS3 HDD
    2. Instal & format new HDD
    3. Connect old PS3 HDD via usb enclosure
    4. Copy data from old PS3 HDD to new HDD

sorry no !, have you got a memory card for a camera etc ? as can use them as well, if ur ps3 got the card slots, otherwise, just buy a really cheap 4 - 8 gig flash drive , or even borrow one.

Superior Member
    Thanks again for your help.

I will post and let you know how i got on.

truelly great post m8

Upgraded to other night to a 160 GIG Western Digital.

the screws all came out fine (needs to be the right screwdriver)

the 1 BIG problem i came across is that i use HDMi. to format a new drive i had to go back to the standard AV leads to format,(other wise i just got a black screen) once the format was done i could use HDMi again. Not sure if it was just me having that problem. Or did everybody have to use there AV leads !!!!

+ rep great post

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeder View Post
    the 1 BIG problem i came across is that i use HDMi. to format a new drive i had to go back to the standard AV leads to format,(other wise i just got a black screen) once the format was done i could use HDMi again. Not sure if it was just me having that problem. Or did everybody have to use there AV leads !!!!

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSeeder View Post
    truelly great post m8

Upgraded to other night to a 160 GIG Western Digital.

the screws all came out fine (needs to be the right screwdriver)

+ rep great post

I know that When PS3 is rebiulding TV the resolution goes down to either 568i or something, if that res is notr set on the PSŁ through HDMI, or a lower res... the PSŁ and TV will not comunicate over HDMI, therefore having to go back to AV leads !!

Superior Member
    Thanks guys.

WD Scorpio 250gig in the post.

Will post to let you know how I got on.

I will attach some pics of the steps as well. (I will glady accept the +rep yip-man)

Ultimate Veteran
    Okay so finally, after upgrading to a 160GB western digital at christmas, i have bought an external enclosure for my old 60GB HDD. Ordered it earlier off amazon. It was only 99 pence, and at that price you really can't go wrong.

Need the extra disc space to be honest. I thought 160GB would last me ages but i'm down to 60GB already. The external HDD will be good for all my movies, music, and other stuff.

Cheers for the thread once again, i would never have known how to format the external HDD

Follow me on twitter @Carl1412

Yip-Man
    Thanks guys.

WD Scorpio 250gig in the post.

Will post to let you know how I got on.

I will attach some pics of the steps as well. (I will glady accept the +rep yip-man)
    Cool will def rep - yep PM me some pics of your install , Rep and credit in the thread mate.

Apprentice
    Are there any restrictions on which to choose? I faintly remember someone mentioning that there can be a rare physical size difference. Is that true?

I am about to order this one: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...mentus_5400.4/

Ultimate Veteran
    So long as it is a 2.5" SATA it will be fine. The one inside the PS3 is 5400RPM and 32MB cache i believe, so it's best to stick with that aswell

Urban Ethnic
    PSN ID
    bfd_josh
    Hey

im thinking about upgrading my hdd size, i was just wondering weather or not this would work? and has anybody else used it?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Scorpio-WD2500BEVS-internal-SATA-150/dp/B0013E0ZS4/ref=pd_sbs_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1214520470&sr=8-4"]Amazon.co.uk: WD Scorpio WD2500BEVS - Hard drive - 250 GB - internal - 2.5 - SATA-150 - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

thanks for your help
    PSN - BFD_JOSH

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bfd_josh View Post
    Hey

im thinking about upgrading my hdd size, i was just wondering weather or not this would work? and has anybody else used it?

Amazon.co.uk: WD Scorpio WD2500BEVS - Hard drive - 250 GB - internal - 2.5 - SATA-150 - 5400 rpm - buffer: 8 MB: Electronics & Photo

thanks for your help

Thats cool will work fine, might i suggest you also purchase an external case for about Ł10. thne you cna use yuor old Ps3 HHd aas external drive for saving backups on, you will need to reformatt old drive oncein case to FAT32 .

but go for it.

Superior Member
    you will need to reformatt old drive oncein case to FAT32
    Sorry, I don't understand. You need to format the old ps3 hdd once you've taken it out? I was planning to buy a 320gb drive, put it in ps3, put the old 60gb drive in an enclosure and transfer all the data from it to the 320gb so as I wouldn't have to backup anything. Can I not do this because the 60gb drive needs to be formatted? OR did you simply mean it would need to be formatted to save space and remove all the redundant downloads/installs etcetera?

Edit - apologies, I see yip-man already answered this question. So is there no way to back up game installs etcetera? I have a 250gb external hdd (not fat32), if formatted, can I use it through usb to back up the 60gb, then put in 320gb, and retrieve back up data (including game saves, installs, user data) from 250gb? Thanks.

PS3 for a 350 gig you will have around 232 gig
    Why so low? The 60gb has 55gb, at 11/12ths of the advertised size this would equate to 320gb for a 350gb model (which afaik isn't readily available, 320gb is the common one). What's happened to the other 100gb? Was it just a typo or is there some serious issue with FAT32. I would bet you meant to say 250 gig will have around 232.

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyshrew View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand. You need to format the old ps3 hdd once you've taken it out? I was planning to buy a 320gb drive, put it in ps3, put the old 60gb drive in an enclosure and transfer all the data from it to the 320gb so as I wouldn't have to backup anything. Can I not do this because the 60gb drive needs to be formatted? OR did you simply mean it would need to be formatted to save space and remove all the redundant downloads/installs etcetera?

Edit - apologies, I see yip-man already answered this question. So is there no way to back up game installs etcetera? I have a 250gb external hdd (not fat32), if formatted, can I use it through usb to back up the 60gb, then put in 320gb, and retrieve back up data (including game saves, installs, user data) from 250gb? Thanks.

Why so low? The 60gb has 55gb, at 11/12ths of the advertised size this would equate to 320gb for a 350gb model (which afaik isn't readily available, 320gb is the common one). What's happened to the other 100gb? Was it just a typo or is there some serious issue with FAT32. I would bet you meant to say 250 gig will have around 232.

yep sorry 250 gig gives you 232... i'll edit that bit.

you can but have to have formatted externall drive to FAT32 or a really big flash drive. depending on wot you got on PS3 about 20 -30 gigs to fully back up. Iwent for the putting game saves on flash drive. thne just re downloading psn stuff and when play a game again just do the install.

bit of a pain but the best option. or you could just set up a small 32gig partion on ur external drive, dont have to re formatt it all to FAT32. once you have set up that partion u'll be able to back up your ps3.

hope of some help

Ultimate Veteran
    Hmm okay so i got my Hard Drive enclosure but nothing i can do makes the computer recognise it. Any help?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yip-Man View Post
    bit of a pain but the best option. or you could just set up a small 32gig partion on ur external drive, dont have to re formatt it all to FAT32. once you have set up that partion u'll be able to back up your ps3.

hope of some help
    Yeah, thanks. So I can create a 100% back up and put it onto a new 320gb hdd inside the ps3 from an external hdd, i.e. the usernames, saves, installs, downloads & system data will all be copied over?

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyshrew View Post
    Yeah, thanks. So I can create a 100% back up and put it onto a new 320gb hdd inside the ps3 from an external hdd, i.e. the usernames, saves, installs, downloads & system data will all be copied over?

Yep, copy on to partioned externall HHD, for saftey just make note of PSn logon details just in case.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Hmm okay so i got my Hard Drive enclosure but nothing i can do makes the computer recognise it. Any help?
    Format? Connections?

Details please

Thread Information