Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 414 ... LastLast
    Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mefron View Post
    Does the os automatically copy on to the new hd? or do you need to save it somehow

Yes mate, just plug in the new HHD, and the PS3 will do the rest. you only need to either do a back up and make sure all games saves transfered.

Forum Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Yip-Man View Post
    yep sorry 250 gig gives you 232... i'll edit that bit.

you can but have to have formatted externall drive to FAT32 or a really big flash drive. depending on wot you got on PS3 about 20 -30 gigs to fully back up. Iwent for the putting game saves on flash drive. thne just re downloading psn stuff and when play a game again just do the install.

bit of a pain but the best option. or you could just set up a small 32gig partion on ur external drive, dont have to re formatt it all to FAT32. once you have set up that partion u'll be able to back up your ps3.

hope of some help
    Could you explain the bolded part to me? So if I have a 100 gig External Hard drive (Maxeil or something like that) thats not FAT32, I can put a partition on that and it the PS3 will be able to backup data to it? Thanks in advance.....

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooke_E_G View Post
    Could you explain the bolded part to me? So if I have a 100 gig External Hard drive (Maxeil or something like that) thats not FAT32, I can put a partition on that and it the PS3 will be able to backup data to it? Thanks in advance.....

Yes you can partion an external drive part NFTS and part FAT32. so if you only want your external drive for ps3 backups you can use XP to create a FAT32 (32 gig) partion. go to mycomputer right click manage

when formatting starage to FAT 32 - it first will appear as not being able to do anything (greyed out) cos the drive is larger than 32 gig, select size of partion to be 32 gig or less then formatt away.

Forum Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Yip-Man View Post
    Yes you can partion an external drive part NFTS and part FAT32. so if you only want your external drive for ps3 backups you can use XP to create a FAT32 (32 gig) partion. go to mycomputer right click manage

when formatting starage to FAT 32 - it first will appear as not being able to do anything (greyed out) cos the drive is larger than 32 gig, select size of partion to be 32 gig or less then formatt away.
    Thanks man....I will be upgrading this weekend so thanks for the help!

Elite Member
    please help me, i tried to open the screws (the blue one) and i couldn't, now its just messed up.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
    please help me, i tried to open the screws (the blue one) and i couldn't, now its just messed up.
    What's 'messed up,' exactly? Are the screws stripped? If thats the case, try a set of needle-nose pliers and turn the screws with those from the outer diameter of the head (grab them on the top). Or you could try a slightly larger screwdriver.

If they are really, really stuck and stripped badly you may need to get a bit driver set and a head that's specifically made for removing striped screws (available at most hardware/auto parts stores. If you don't know what I'm talking about, stop in a hardware store and ask them about removing stripped screws.

The key to removing any screws in delicate electronics is use the proper size screwdriver and using a firm grip.
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

May you have many Commies to wage war upon in Valhalla.

So can I use my old PS3 HD in my laptop? I have an XP install disc.

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by headphase View Post
    So can I use my old PS3 HD in my laptop? I have an XP install disc.

yep no probs with that, its just a LapTop Sata drive !

Superior Member

Does anyone know what specs for the HD is best for the PS3?

For exmple should I stay with a SATA HD or I can go with a SATAII and see some advantage with it.

A 7200 RPM or stay with the 5400 RPM

16mb cache or 8mb cache?

Average Seek time, yada yada?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorddct View Post

16mb cache or 8mb cache?
    /\ I was thinking the same when looking at larger HDDs Can anyone answer?

I have aquestion of my own and would be extermely grateful if someone could answer........

When backing up your PS3s HDD onto an External Drive, I understand it saves all the 'games saves' but I have lots of music, pictures and a few films. Does it save all of this and then when you 'Restore' onto a new larger HDD, does it copy it all back (pics, music, films and so on)??

Cheers

EDIT: From reading a previous post it's answered my question. Yes, it backs up verything incl. Music, Pictures, Movies. Yay! :gta:

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by lorddct View Post
    Does anyone know what specs for the HD is best for the PS3?

For exmple should I stay with a SATA HD or I can go with a SATAII and see some advantage with it.

16mb cache or 8mb cache?

Average Seek time, yada yada?

i remember a test being done, (no link just memory) and compared a 5400 8mb with 7200 16mb... on a large seek it was under a second !, and the faster rpm drive got slightly hotter, so if you have a choice of the two i'ld go with the 5400 8mb as same specs as the segate drive in the PS3 (60gig).. just for peace of mind, as timing advantage very very small and no increased heat !

hope that of some help

im putting in a western digital blue scorpio 320gb sata drive 2moro (5400rpm), i opted to go for the 5400 rpm, so it owuld run smoother i guess. let u knoe in a couple of days, as im getting the drive tomorrow, but will be instlaling in a day or too

i get an error "cannot stat. the correct hard disk was not found". i slotted in the brand new, raw unformatted 320gb WD drive in. even went n formatted it to fat32. still wont work wtf?

please help me, this ps3 hard drive is fukin giving me the 5hits. i am not an idiot when it comes to computers, n this is annoyin me

this is exactly what i done

Changed new hard drive 9this is all simple except for the **** quality sony screws)
    then i booted it up, a message reads "Cannot Start. The Correct Hard Disk Cannot be Found". Please note, i didnt even touch the new HDD. it was not formated, it was RAW

So i went n formatted it to fat32. partition magic only allows you to format the harddrive (320gb) into 2 split partitions for fat32. put it into the ps3, still nothing!!!

so i went n deleted all the partitions, formatted to one single large NTFS. still ntohing. please help me ASAP!!!

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by plAythiNG View Post
    please help me, this ps3 hard drive is fukin giving me the 5hits. i am not an idiot when it comes to computers, n this is annoyin me

this is exactly what i done

Changed new hard drive 9this is all simple except for the **** quality sony screws)
    then i booted it up, a message reads "Cannot Start. The Correct Hard Disk Cannot be Found". Please note, i didnt even touch the new HDD. it was not formated, it was RAW

So i went n formatted it to fat32. partition magic only allows you to format the harddrive (320gb) into 2 split partitions for fat32. put it into the ps3, still nothing!!!

so i went n deleted all the partitions, formatted to one single large NTFS. still ntohing. please help me ASAP!!!

The HHd, has to totally be unformatted, i'm not sure why it orginally, did not on reboot format the disk.

Ok here's a plan,

remove drive from PS3, unformatt it on Pc, remove the NTFS stuff...

place back into caddy, just make sure its sitting in the caddy (case) correctly, cos if its not you might get the msg you got. When you turn on the PS3 it will ask you if you want to format the drive.. say yes.....

give that a try mate, if that does not work, let us know and we'll try to help further !

Phading Reality
    Items Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VII
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...M%20(MHZ2320BH)

Just bought this for my PS3, some of the reviewers love it but what are your guys views?. Should be getting it in the post tomorrow anyway hopefully . The (hopefully) impending release of Europe video store and PSN titles like Siren and Ratchet and Clank have pushed me into buying this otherwise I wouldn't of bothered so soon.

This one is only SATA though and the Seagate one is SATA-II, what's the difference and does it matter?. Thanks.

Edit: NM found out that the PS3 is 1.5mb so having a SATA-II doesn't really matter, SATA is fine.

Yip-Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaded View Post
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...M%20(MHZ2320BH)

Just bought this for my PS3, some of the reviewers love it but what are your guys views?. Should be getting it in the post tomorrow anyway hopefully . The (hopefully) impending release of Europe video store and PSN titles like Siren and Ratchet and Clank have pushed me into buying this otherwise I wouldn't of bothered so soon.

This one is only SATA though and the Seagate one is SATA-II, what's the difference and does it matter?. Thanks.

good price mate, don't see any probs with that one working

any tip on how to "totally unformat" the harddrive plz plzplz

Phading Reality
    Edit: Nm I got it...... Sony Europe are still a joke though.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plAythiNG View Post
    any tip on how to "totally unformat" the harddrive plz plzplz
    Yep, the 'Format Utility'. Or you could remove it and format it via computer.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-016-FJ&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=896&name=Fujitsu%20 320GB%205400RPM%20SATA%208MB%20Cache%20-%20OEM%20(MHZ2320BH)

Edit: NM found out that the PS3 is 1.5mb so having a SATA-II doesn't really matter, SATA is fine.
    Some people will say that 5400 RPM is too slow for a PS3 and that it will affect your loading times but they aren't correct. I picked up a 200 GIG 5400 RPM drive from Toshiba and it has identical loading times to the stock drive.

Oh and yea, you guys in the EU are really gettin the short end of the stick when it comes to Sony, that's for sure...
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

Phading Reality
    What do you mean? all the stock HD's are 5400rpm, at least that's what I heard.

Hi, I recently upgraded my 60 GB hdd for a fujitsu 250 GB. i enclosed my seagate 60 GB hdd in an enclosure. i cannot get either of my computers to format the hdd, only to recognize in disk management. i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on how to format the drive?

Superior Member
    What do you mean? all the stock HD's are 5400rpm, at least that's what I heard.
    You're correct, I was thinking the stock RPM was 7200 for some reason. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by trickassfoo View Post
    Hi, I recently upgraded my 60 GB hdd for a fujitsu 250 GB. i enclosed my seagate 60 GB hdd in an enclosure. i cannot get either of my computers to format the hdd, only to recognize in disk management. i was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on how to format the drive?
    Chances are you've got an unsupported enclosure (a common reason old PS3 HDs won't format) if it won't format. There are several threads on this and no real answers so far as to what enclosures are supported and which aren't.

Does your enclosure support USB 2.0? Mine does not and I've got the same issue as you, perhaps it's there?
    R.I.P. Tom Clancy.

Phading Reality
    Man after formatting my new 320gb i've only got 263 odd GB of 293 odd gb that i'm allowed to use, what's that all about? o_O.

Yip-Man
    Man after formatting my new 320gb i've only got 263 odd GB of 293 odd gb that i'm allowed to use, what's that all about? o_O.

i think the OS reserves between 5 and 10% of the HHD space for itself - so, you have to add this into account when the formatting is done !

Thread Information